TTT
Just stirring up the hornets nest.

You are a bad man David.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I own a SubarujaguarchevyfordERA. Did I forget any?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

I would not put a ford engine in a corvett or would I put a chevy in a cobra. If you want a chevy buy a corvett
Old 04-02-2006, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First you must be able to afford a Cobra. I surely can't at this time....
Old 04-02-2006, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The Chev LS1 will do just fine for my Cobra shaped Hot Rod. About the only Ford bits in the whole car are the door locks.

If you want be stick with the replica theme put a Ford in it. However they only came out with the 260 and 289 Windsors or the 427 428 FE motor. Putting a 351W or a 385 series motor in is about as correct as my LS1.

The original AC ace had quite a variety of engines before the ford V8 was wedged into it and the cobra badge stuck on. 6 cylinder engines from AC, Bristol and Ford have lurked under the shapely curves of the AC Ace. The original car hasn't seem to mind it's varied diet of engines over the years.

I'll judge each engine on it's own merrits and decide which one is best for my Car. There are a heap of engines which could qualify for the job of propelling a lightweight sports car along a twisty road at high speed all the while asaulting the senses with an antisocial exhaust note. I'm looking forward to seeing what one of our european brothers does when they get their hands on the BMW V10 from the M5 or a supercharged AMG Mercedes V12.

Cheers

Old 04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram 427 SC CSX6042. Chev 355. Quad Weber DCNFs
Send a message via ICQ to mylesdw
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike
If you want be stick with the replica theme put a Ford in it. However they only came out with the 260 and 289 Windsors or the 427 428 FE motor. Putting a 351W or a 385 series motor in is about as correct as my LS1.
seeing what one of our european brothers does when they get their hands on the BMW V10 from the M5 or a supercharged AMG Mercedes V12.
Well said that man! This Ford/Chevy debate really makes computer nurds sound interesting by comparison!

One of the guys on the UK forum has a BMW V8 Cobra complete with paddle-shift gearbox and one of the Dutch guys is building one with a V12 BMW.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A friend of mine has an aquantance building a Porshe, 911(I believe), with an all aluminum SBC. The pics are something else. Can't wait to hear about it's performance. I'm sure the Porshe guys are all gonna cry foul
Old 04-03-2006, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Late 70s Allied Industries?? 454 BBC; alum copo heads and intake THM 400 12 bolt posi ++ 06 CL 55 AMG
Not Ranked     

I found an obscure reference once that AC experimented with wedging Hemis into several of the holdover cars. Rumored to be stored in Switzerland and under other European rocks now. What frothing at the mouth and convulsions we all could have if one of those actually appeared at auction??
Old 04-03-2006, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone have a power to weight ratio on that one
Old 04-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey Boxhead you're right about stiring the pot a little. The Ford/Chevy thing does fan the fires. You forgot to ask if Shelby puts a Chevy in the cars he is building today would would it be a Continuation, Continuation Replica or a Replica of the Continuation Series he tried to build with GM in the 60's. NO it would be an Original Series if he is building it!!! (regaurdless) That fits the current definition right?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

YOu know if it was meant to be there would have been cobra's running around with small & BBC's. I'm sure Chevrolet's position was that one man wasn't going to assemble a racing team & beat their mighty corvette
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Tongue,
I think they did not want to loose or dilute the market place of the vette that was selling like hotcakes. The Cobra in the end did outperform the Vettes on many tracks and I am sure cost them (GM) sales. Win on Sunday and increase sales on Monday was common place.
The Cobra never came close to the production numbers and decades of continued production like the Vette but Cobra holds a very special place in history. If the Cobra was manufactured on an assembly line and marketed like the Vette maybe the roles would have been reversed.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm sure if the Vette wasn't already in place GM would have been more interested in an AC powered by their SBC. All I'm saying is that FoMoCo seemed the better fit of the two because of the situation of both companies at that time.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram 427 SC CSX6042. Chev 355. Quad Weber DCNFs
Send a message via ICQ to mylesdw
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV66AC
I found an obscure reference once that AC experimented with wedging Hemis into several of the holdover cars.
I thought I read somewhere that Shelby had built a hemi powered one and it went by the nickname of Mobra.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Late 70s Allied Industries?? 454 BBC; alum copo heads and intake THM 400 12 bolt posi ++ 06 CL 55 AMG
Not Ranked     

Thats it -- the Mobra -- but I can't remember the reference. Somebody on CC recently installed a hemi in a new reproduction and posted pix. All hail to any batards of whatever lineage. Keeps the gene puddle strong.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

I would have to agree with the Pirate about the timing. There would have been a much better chance of Chevy Shelby.

BTW, I was talking about Factory Racing Programs.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We manufacture a Cobra inspired body that just bolts onto the 3rd generation Vette chassis. This concept can rattle the cages of the true Ford purists because the Chevy engine is used as the most common engine by far. So I guess turnabout is fair play.
We have a customer build going together right now with the new 4 valve Lincoln engine. I have been watching the progress going pretty smooth. I will post a few photos in my gallery when I get a new batch. The Lincoln's tube exhaust manifolds were able to be used and swept into the side pipes. The tranny turns the IRS vette rear end with a yoke change and was pretty straight forward. Stay tuned.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike
The Chev LS1 will do just fine for my Cobra shaped Hot Rod. About the only Ford bits in the whole car are the door locks.

The original AC ace had quite a variety of engines before the ford V8 was wedged into it and the cobra badge stuck on. 6 cylinder engines from AC, Bristol and Ford have lurked under the shapely curves of the AC Ace. The original car hasn't seem to mind it's varied diet of engines over the years.

I'll judge each engine on it's own merrits and decide which one is best for my Car. There are a heap of engines which could qualify for the job of propelling a lightweight sports car along a twisty road at high speed all the while asaulting the senses with an antisocial exhaust note. I'm looking forward to seeing what one of our european brothers does when they get their hands on the BMW V10 from the M5 or a supercharged AMG Mercedes V12.

Cheers
G'day Mike!!!

Well, it's late (00.15 hrs), I'm tired & bored and I can't help but reach for the wooden spoon and do some stirring.

In Oz we are plagued by burocrats that keep changing the emmission regs which force us cobra builders into corners. The old faihful windsor is almost no more. It's since been replaced by the modular 5.4 ltr. Now the 5.4 DOHC is a squeeze but it just fits: I've seen two examples. The LS1/2 is a good alternative fit. Some Cobras in Oz even use the Lexus V8 that subsequently been blown; makes for an impressive performer.

Honestly, who cares?

Only the owner!

Sometimes I think some people all too often get caught up in the club mentality of bagging other peoples cobras. Be it the quality of the build, the motor, choice of wheels etc etc. It dissappoints me when I see it as it's often not justified and frankly highlights the critic's failings. I know there will be some aspects of my build that will not be to everyones taste. Stuff them. Only my opinion counts

Now for the stirring!!

In Oz, LS1 cobras are known as dark siders (in reference to the dark side on Star Wars). Aussie Mike, aka Lord Vader, leads the Empire. But I predict, no sorry, it's Mike's destiny to change back the light side (Ford) just as his namesake did in episode 6. If you don't believe me I think he still has a link to the dark siders web site below his signature.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Gawd uncle Al, your missus kicks you outta bed, and you're not getting any so you come here to vent your anger.

And you are exactly right....who cares what folks put in as engines. Even this dyed in the wool "FORD" fella has entertained "THAT" other engine...and still might.

By way of keeping folks up to date on the Windsor thing in Queensland. Some folks have had some very interesting conversations with the authorities, with some very interesting advice being received.

If I have interpreted that advice correctly, it boils down to this. The Queensland authorities don't give a bugga how big the engine is, they don't care who makes the engine, and they don't care how old the engine is. All they care about is "That part of the EPA rules that they( the state authorities) elect to enforce" and for the ICV builder to PROVE his car complies.

To make a long story short. One can use a windsor and you can run an FE if you want. You just have to prove the engine complies with a level of emissions that the STATE desires. ( thats the hard bit)

And...the state has advised that they have control over the "standard" of EPA rules they will enforce.

And that's the tough bit..we don't have testing facilities.......yet. .... and the authorities know that.

However, give the authorities some credit, they are in heavy discussions with a company here in Brisbane to invest about $A500,000.00 for a IM240 testing facility.

Here is a short basic description of the test.
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/im240.html

There are, in essence, three things that an engine must have to past this test.

Functioning O2 sensor
Fuel control with no misfires; and,
An 80% efficient catalytic converter.

If you have these you can and will pass given a good state of tune.

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/seminars/im240.html

If your engine is in good state of repair, If the ECU (fuel/timing) control is properly tuned, and your cats are reasonably young, you CAN pass with the engine you choose.

Now, the remaining problem is "What standard are the State Authorities going to insist we meet?.

That question has been answered by the Authorities here by advising those involved in the discussions to " Why don't you get all the interested parties together..not just the Cobra club". Get the june buggy fellas, get the westfield replica fellas, the custom car clubs etc etc and then come see us as a group and we can then discuss to what level of control we will enforce for the ICV builders." (ala the hot rod fellas)

So....in other words....build any engine you want. Get it thru an IM240 test and you can register it here in Queensland.

Wish it was as easy as it is to type it.

Last edited by Rebel1; 06-10-2006 at 08:41 PM..
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1
Gawd uncle Al, your missus kicks you outta bed, and you're not getting any so you come here to vent your anger.

So....in other words....build any engine you want. Get it thru an IM240 test and you can register it here in Queensland.

Wish it was as easy as it is to type it.

G'day Great Ungle (?) Les!

roflmao Mrs NASSTY had a giggle too! She says 'ello to you too.

At least things seem to be heading in a favourable direction for you Qlder guys. From what I know, having O2 sensors, and a non misfiring ecu should be easy to do and hell the cats will do most of the work anyway. Most factory late model ecu's are now repreogrammable anyway (eg ls1 edit, Boss edit, au edit (EEC5)) My build needs to have an at idle smog test (donor production engine) and I know that the cats basically do all the work. It sounds as though the Qld burocrats are suggesting a model thats reasonably fair for everyone. If this model works out then us mexicans will need to jump on the band wagon as well.

btw I sent you an email on Saturday

Cheers