Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Ryan Martens - Regina CR II

I spent a bit of time talking to Ryan about his company and he is truly trying to get everything resolved. The biggest problem he is experiencing is dealing with Transport Canada. Unlike the USA, Canada has its fingers into just about every aspect of his (and any) business. In order for him to do full kits or even partial kits, he has to have approval from the bureaucrats. It is a time and money consuming process but he is making progress. His next step is to get TC to approve a chassis after TC digitizing a real chassis and performing simulated crash testing. If he were doing this in the USA, he would have been shipping kits years ago. I don't mean this as an endorsement of him or his company but even though I am in the USA, my company has had to deal with the Canadian government and it is frustrating and costly to say the least. I hope he does get TC approval and can more forward. Classic Roadsters deserves to live again.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

He's a crook. Use search here and you'll find many horror stories. He's screwed so many people so many times that recovering his business is hopeless. Whether the brand survives is questionable given the goodwill that he has stolen from it.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

It's apparent to me that since Ryan has the original molds we should band together to try to get them into the hands of a group or someone willing to utilize them as his history is not very positive for his past business success.

Maybe we could figure out a way to get the molds into a management group as "crash parts" or replacement parts may be a long term problem for us all.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I agree, with both of you (twobjshelbys, and rbgray1) Your right Tony, Ryan Martens have done nothing but damage,(Ask HighPlainsDrifter, he's just the latest) to the Classic Roadster name, in which I don't think it will ever recover from. And yes, Rob, we need to get the molds, etc. into someone's hands that can build the company into it's formal self. Any idea's Rob, how we could do this??? Cheers Tom.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
I agree, with both of you (twobjshelbys, and rbgray1) Your right Tony, Ryan Martens have done nothing but damage,(Ask HighPlainsDrifter, he's just the latest) to the Classic Roadster name, in which I don't think it will ever recover from. And yes, Rob, we need to get the molds, etc. into someone's hands that can build the company into it's formal self. Any idea's Rob, how we could do this??? Cheers Tom.
Perhaps the best solution is to get the moulds (Canadian spelling) / molds into the hands of a qualified / experienced fiberglass manufacturer. The manufacturer could either own the moulds / molds or use them under license from Ryan Martens. Any licensing / manufacturing agreement could easily define who has rights to sell them to which customers (e.g. auto body shops, fabricators, end users / Cobra owners, etc.).

While selling the moulds / molds may provide valuable cash to Ryan, he may want more $$ for them than someone is prepared to pay. Regardless, he may want to retain ownership (for whatever reason) and therefore not be interested in selling them.

Obviously he doesn't need to own the moulds / molds or even fabricate the body parts to build cars - he only needs access to the manufactured components. CR III may be far more successful by outsourcing body and frame manufacturing and focusing on assembling cars and servicing customers (and I don't mean how a stud horse services a mare... LOL).
Old 11-09-2018, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
It's really hopeless, as Ryan found out there is no money here. I will reiterate: Make a business plan that shows a profit. How many have tried and succeeded??? Anyone that gets these molds with the intent of going into production will quickly figure it out and will become the next one being reported here. The market for Cobras is saturated and there are two ways a saturated market reacts: 1. Acquision/merger, often the weaker simply being put out of business or 2. Bankruptcy and disappearing of the weakest. The latter certainly applies here.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
It's really hopeless, as Ryan found out there is no money here. I will reiterate: Make a business plan that shows a profit. How many have tried and succeeded??? Anyone that gets these molds with the intent of going into production will quickly figure it out and will become the next one being reported here. The market for Cobras is saturated and there are two ways a saturated market reacts: 1. Acquision/merger, often the weaker simply being put out of business or 2. Bankruptcy and disappearing of the weakest. The latter certainly applies here.
I don't disagree, especially with the current state of the market. There are likely few who will seek out a kit or car from an unknown entity when there are other options from manufacturers with a long history - and stable financials.

Worth noting, however, is that when it comes to CR there may well be a bigger market for replacement parts than for complete cars or kits.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Worth noting, however, is that when it comes to CR there may well be a bigger market for replacement parts than for complete cars or kits.
It is possible to be able to pull off a business for made-to-order parts (with a reasonable down payment, balance on delivery) as a "hobby business". Again, it would depend on the cost of entry which knowing the current owner, is likely to be higher than reasonable time-to-profitability thresholds.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W blueprinted
Not Ranked     

OMG Do not believe or trust Ryan Maertens. He is a scammer. He ripped off a member for $11k,

check out this link https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...s-j-mar-750402
Old 11-14-2018, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W blueprinted
Not Ranked     

Check out member HighPlainsDrifter Last I heard Martens took him for 11K
Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As a tale of woe, he finally got around to purchasing my frame. He started in 10/12/2018 and finally picked it up 1/19/2019. He said he needed it to build a jig so he could "get everything rolling". My initial post was just to pass on what a pain in the neck dealing with Transport Canada is. I did give him the benefit of the doubt but was sorely mistaken. To all of you - I apologize.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

@oldgeezer, no need to apologize to us, we felt sorry for you. You not knowing what most of us already knew, about this (I use this term lightly) gentleman. Most of us that own CR's, would love to see it back, but as Tony and Brian said, too little too late. I would like if I could, to deal in the "Hobby Business" for CR owner's for part's, just to keep our cars on the road, but then, thinking about having to deal with this Ryan Martens, would be just a waste of time. What a shame. Thank you for your post, Cheers Tom.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

So maybe somewhat out of place, but I jus got done staring at Mr. Martins post for several minutes in complete disbelief I guess would be the closest word for it. Actually kind of at a loss for words, very out of character for me. I really spent most of my time debating the futility of a response. I understand him not wanting to get in a war of words or justifications. Honestly I wish him the best, and hope in the end there is a viable business from which to pay for and receive products in an efficient and timely matter. I know nothing about him personally and I would say at this point would be extremely cautious, and reserved in dealing with him. I really hope everything works out to the positive for him and the customers involved. I get the attempt at trying to set the record straight so to speak. However none of that really matters compared to his statements of response and the childish response about the molds. I mean he totally negated his positive business model change. Pretty much instantly questions the business model. Really? Obviously he's keeping some kind of tabs on this and other cobra boards. What businessman of any substance wouldn't? Facing the cold hard truth, not playing nice with your only potential resource of a revenue stream and interest is financial suicide. As I cannot speak to the long term operating issues or handling as mine is not yet built, it does not dilute my observations regarding it overall, and current market viability. Ease of bodywork? Try quality of gel coat and proper fiberglassing techniques and application. In my opinion that is the first thing he should have marketed, replacement panels and bodies. He had the molds, and I have never heard of a safety requirement and testing of fiberglass, maybe there is. Anyone can make a female mold, and we might have to at some point. While not plentiful, there are kits unbuilt, or partially available. I know news to no one hear. Positive points aside, it is an old kit, old tech, with no support, parts or resources. Why on earth would someone throw themselves into that quagmire? Way to many quality and well known brands in an oversaturated market. I guarantee anyone wanting a Cobra can name at least four brands right off the top of their heads. All of which are close in price, and you can find complete ones all day long between $20 to 30k. Thanks for your time, just had to state the obvious I guess.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

He's at it again.

Tags
canada, crii, ryan martens