Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby factory competition Mark II 289ci sgl four barrel
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
Vernon is well known to this community, selling great SAI items and is a member of this forum.
If someone intends to get criminal by using collector items he is selling, it is not his fault.
Not meant to demean Vernon, just pointing how easy it is to get period correct invoicing materials.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_COWBOY View Post
Not meant to demean Vernon, just pointing how easy it is to get period correct invoicing materials.
...none of which would fool anyone on these forums.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
...none of which would fool anyone on these forums.
Nor any educated serious buyer about to plop down a million bucks for an original cobra. Anyone that woukd would also probably be in the market for the Brooklyn Bridge.

The group of buyers in this space are very well educated and have good noses

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-04-2021 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-04-2021, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Nor any educated serious buyer about to plop down a million bucks for an original cobra. Anyone that woukd would also probably be in the market for the Brooklyn Bridge.

The group of buyers in this space are very well educated and have good noses
So I am to believe that no one, and I mean no one could fool this bunch? I also wonder just how many fake cars are out there and how many fools have paid literally millions for them?

I for one, and this is my personal opinion, believe that there is one gestating right now in the Encinitas, CA area and will be birthed and named illegitimately shortly.

I will do my best to not let that happen, all we need is for those with damning information make it available, if not on this forum, then in my email box. michael@heinekegroup.com
Old 11-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I also wonder just how many fake cars are out there and how many fools have paid literally millions for them?
Well I have one. And while I didn't pay millions for it, sometimes it feels like I did.
Blue66, 1985 CCX and Alfa02 like this.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy Cunningham

I am envious of all of you that have real, reconstructed, replicas, etc. I have been trying to straighten out the Paul Cunningham Cobra history for over 12 years now, and have only had the chance to drive our car once.

While I have been researching I have had desires surface to rebuild the family Cobra, drive it a bit in vintage races and then sell it to someone to thoroughly enjoy and protect.

Medical issues and age have erased that dream, and now I have absolutely identified the frame pieces I am still sheltering some Cobra parts I've acquired over the years while I was dreaming.

I have a complete 289ci engine, not hipo but very early 3A3 block 5 bolt, as originally assembled, single loop roll bar with forward brace, two fiberglass footboxes, and front end clip.

To old to take on a 289ci project car, I will be selling all to gain some space in my garage and to appease the MRS.
Buzz likes this.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am envious of all of you that have real, reconstructed, replicas, etc. I have been trying to straighten out the Paul Cunningham Cobra history for over 12 years now, and have only had the chance to drive our car once.

While I have been researching I have had desires surface to rebuild the family Cobra, drive it a bit in vintage races and then sell it to someone to thoroughly enjoy and protect.

Medical issues and age have erased that dream, and now I have absolutely identified the frame pieces I am still sheltering some Cobra parts I've acquired over the years while I was dreaming.

I have a complete 289ci engine, not hipo but very early 3A3 block 5 bolt, as originally assembled, single loop roll bar with forward brace, two fiberglass footboxes, and front end clip.

To old to take on a 289ci project car, I will be selling all to gain some space in my garage and to appease the MRS.
You know, you could buy a Superformance 289 and install your engine into it. Because it's a leaf spring car, you can have the fun/feel of driving an original at a fraction of the price.

Larry
Buzz and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I have a Superformance 289 leaf spring race car that I run in vintage races. It is a fun ride and makes me feel like I am racing a real one. If you can't get it together to try to build one yourself. Come on out to upstate NY next year and I will arrange for a track day some place near me and take you around the track a few times, might even let you drive it a little if you make me feel comfortable enough. Hate to see someone spend so much time on a dream and not see it through.

In the meantime, take a high performance driving course. You would need a vintage race license to be able to race a cobra on the track which may not be an option at what I guess your age to be and the physical concerns that you have.

Jim
Blue66, ALF and 1985 CCX like this.

Last edited by 1795; 11-05-2021 at 04:13 AM..
Old 11-05-2021, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Jim and Larry are correct....

Request a SPF 289 car in the paint of choice of CSX2049
They come as a completed painted roller....

Drop in engine and bam! All set!
Then have fun.....

You'll know what it is
Get the same driving experience
Relive the past
Get a vanity plate = CSX2049
Maybe even make some new friends, and what a story at a cars and coffee

Awesome!
Buzz, Blue66 and CompClassics like this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 11-05-2021 at 06:35 AM..
Old 11-05-2021, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Deleted
Buzz and ZOERA-SC7XX like this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 11:22 PM..
Old 11-05-2021, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Csx2049

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
It really wouldn’t be any different than the two replicas of 2049 out there now if you get the aluminum body option.
What is an estimate of cost? On the track?

I have driven competitively, TR4 built to the limit, ran the SCCA Solo courses, top ended at 145mph. We called it "The Grenade" as it would self destruct. Had an electric OD and used it on the long back straight-away at Riverside Raceway. Drove right past a 302 Stang he couldn't believe it and came to my pit and I simply showed him the spark plug wires, he muttered a few words and walked away.
Buzz likes this.

Last edited by USC_COWBOY; 11-05-2021 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: added information
Old 11-05-2021, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What is an estimate of cost? On the track?

I have driven competitively, TR4 built to the limit, ran the SCCA Solo courses, top ended at 145mph. We called it "The Grenade" as it would self destruct. Had an electric OD and used it on the long back straight-away at Riverside Raceway. Drove right past a 302 Stang he couldn't believe it and came to my pit and I simply showed him the spark plug wires, he muttered a few words and walked away.
Depends on how competitive you want to be and what your goal is. If you go with a moderate engine you could be racing close to $100K depending on how much work you do yourself. If you want another grenade, then the cost will be north of $100K.

Take a look at my build photos and build discussion, Superformance Riverside Racer and you can get an idea. Since you have raced, you have an idea. I would suggest that if you go that route, you do as I did and add some more protection as that single hoop and forward brace is not enough to keep you safe. I have pictures of the modifications that I had made.

Good luck.

Jim
Buzz and USC_COWBOY like this.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Hi. I've followed this post and I'm glad you shared your story with us. I am sympathetic to your plight and fully understand how it is to have lost a loved one (who was a racer) and had a race car stolen (not a Cobra). Life is short, Cobras are wonderful, and if you have the means you should consider a replica 289 painted up like your step dads. Maybe venting this story will make it easier on you. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
Buzz, peterpjb and USC_COWBOY like this.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Ok, I’ll play the devil
Time to talk about CSX3052
Attached Images

CompClassics likes this.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Ok, I’ll play the devil
Time to talk about CSX3052
Well my 2008 registry says CSX3052 was reconstructed with chassis, body and interior parts from a street car CSX3292.

I suppose most of the reconstructed car could really be CSX3292, but the reconstructed car has the CSX3052 serial number. Is that what happened?
Old 11-10-2021, 06:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow
Now that is amazing.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
the reconstructed "CSX2049" is for sale in the Netherlands:

www.dhgracing.nl/cars/ford-shelby-cobra/

at last report, the original CSX2049 was being restored by the owner in California, although I haven't seen any public updates or photos of the car
The “original 2049” in California is not the “original 2049”.
peterpjb likes this.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:04 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Wow
Now that is amazing.
So 2 original Cobras, CSX3052 and CSX3292, were consolidated into one original Cobra. Usually it is the other way around, where an original Cobra becomes 2 or more Cobras.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:11 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Depends on how competitive you want to be and what your goal is. If you go with a moderate engine you could be racing close to $100K depending on how much work you do yourself. If you want another grenade, then the cost will be north of $100K.

Take a look at my build photos and build discussion, Superformance Riverside Racer and you can get an idea. Since you have raced, you have an idea. I would suggest that if you go that route, you do as I did and add some more protection as that single hoop and forward brace is not enough to keep you safe. I have pictures of the modifications that I had made.

Good luck.

Jim
So getting a fiberglass Superformance with an original leaf spring style suspenstion that can be vintage raced will set you back about $100K. Would that price include the custom paint job to match CSX2049? I am curious if you add the aluminum body option to the Superformance, what does that add to the cost?
Old 11-11-2021, 10:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
I am curious if you add the aluminum body option to the Superformance, what does that add to the cost?
I think you are a bit confused as to a modern "aluminum body option" for the SPF as most of those are sourced from Kirkham as CSX series cars and not SPF series cars.
Although, there are one or two, maybe even three that were discussed here years ago.

Aluminum body?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS