Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2021, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby factory competition Mark II 289ci sgl four barrel
Not Ranked     
Red face Researching any info re: Paul Cunningham, Competition Cobra privateer

Hi All! I am researching any information, photos, stories, etc. regarding my deceased step-father, Paul Cunningham. Paul was one of the few very early privateer factory prepared competition Cobra competitors against the factory team cars. Our Cobra was a very early chassis and may have been originally a 260ci Mark I, when we owned it, it was a 4bbl 289ci Mark II, no hood scoop only five rows of louvres at rear of the hood, red paint with a black and silver racing stripe flared fenders, Halibrand knock-off rims, meatball #37 or variation and sponsored by Powerine Oil Company out of Santa Fe Springs, CA. Paul was killed in a racing accident in November of 1963 at Willow Springs Raceway while leading the event. I would appreciate any information, photos, stories, etc. that you might want to share as all of our race related memorabilia was lost during my Mom's moving back to Illinois, everything is gone, including my Mom. Please stay in touch with me by email if possible at michael@heinekegroup.com or call 562-665-6778.

Bless you all and stay safe in these troubling times.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Hello Michael,

First of all, welcome to Club Cobra.

In doing research into the Cobra raced by your deceased step-father, here are a few items that may be useful. Sorry for your loss all those years ago.

1 - The link below will take you to SCCA race results for Willow Springs in November 1963. There are US national race results from 1948 to 1984 listed:

World Sports Racing Prototypes - US National Races 1963

Scroll down to find the entry:
Willow Springs [AP+BP+CP+DP+EP]
Date: 17.11.1963

November 17, 1963, Willow Springs, Paul Cunningham, Shelby Cobra CSX 2049, Did not start race, fatal accident in preliminary. More information can be found on the web page.

2 - Shelby Registry:

On pages 90 & 91 of the Shelby Registry, there is a history of CSX 2049 and some details of the accident. Paul lost control of the Cobra in turn 9, the car flipped end over end and he was killed instantly, he was 37 years old. What was left of the chassis was sold ‘as is’ in 1979 and in the mid 80’s a Cobra was reconstructed around the remaining parts by Baurle Auto sport at the request of the owner, Fran Kress. The car was subsequently raced, more details can be found in the Registry.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

- Tim
Old 06-19-2021, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

the reconstructed "CSX2049" is for sale in the Netherlands:

www.dhgracing.nl/cars/ford-shelby-cobra/

at last report, the original CSX2049 was being restored by the owner in California, although I haven't seen any public updates or photos of the car
Old 06-19-2021, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Paul Cunningham #37 Cobra

I am aware of the cars, the one in the Netherlands is not the Cunningham Cobra. Also, a second "Air-Car" is being built in S. Cal and it is not the Cunningham Cobra. The Cunningham Cobra was owned by the family and was never sold, after the accident it was taken to Shelby's shop for failure analysis, it was determined that the accident was not due to a mechanical failure and the wreck was subsequently 'cannibalized' with portions of the car being sold off or given to others so they could 'reconstruct' the car. I will state again, this cobra was privately owned by the Cunningham family, sponsored by Powerine Oil Company (Peter Rothschild), and never sold subsequent to the fatal crash.

As a stroke of luck or pity, a Shelby employee who knew Paul personally could not stand to see the few remnants of the 'cannibalized' cobra to the garbage bin and took it upon themself to deliver to my Mom those few remnants in a large cardboard box which was stored in her storage area, I found it when I was clearing out her property when she died in 2001. I have that cardboard box and the few cobra remnants.

In the last 15 years or so, I have been acquiring period correct 289ci engine, Mark II front end clip, roll bar, etc. to go with the chassis remnants, foot boxes, aluminum interior panels, dash board and upholstery remnants.

Looking for a partner with whom we will reconstruct the real Cunningham Cobra, a very rare factory competition prepared 289ci Mark II Cobra.

I appreciate any and all photos, commentary, records, etc.

Bless you all and stay safe.

I am going on 78, in remission from Stage 4 stomach and liver cancer and may not live long enough to complete my endeavors, but I owe it to Paul's racing history and achievements.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Re CSX2049,

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 10:58 PM..
Old 06-20-2021, 01:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What do the red arrows mean?
Old 06-20-2021, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deleted
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 10:59 PM..
Old 06-20-2021, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_COWBOY View Post
....The Cunningham Cobra was owned by the family and was never sold....the wreck was subsequently 'cannibalized' with portions of the car being sold off or given to others so they could 'reconstruct' the car. I will state again, this cobra was privately owned by the Cunningham family....a Shelby employee who knew Paul personally could not stand to see the few remnants of the 'cannibalized' cobra to the garbage bin and took it upon themself to deliver to my Mom those few remnants in a large cardboard box.....
Hello Michael,

Echoing Tim's comment - welcome to Club Cobra.

May I ask - do the remnants that you have of CSX2049 include the AC Cars ID plate for CSX2049, and do you have any body or chassis parts that have the car's CSX ID stamping?

Best wishes in your endeavour to rebuild the car.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-20-2021, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deleted

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 10:59 PM..
Old 06-20-2021, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The car was never streetable nor licensed, it was delivered to us as a trailered comp car. I am not sure that the #2049 is the correct chassis number, there is no maker plate or inscribed number on the chassis I have. Where specifically did the chassis number inscribe or identify the particular chassis? It is evident that portions of the chassis I have in my garage have been torched or cut off, perhaps this is where the chassis identifiers might have been placed.

I can use all the help I can get.

Bless you all, for your help.

Mike Heineke
Old 06-20-2021, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deleted

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 11:00 PM..
Old 06-21-2021, 02:48 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC_COWBOY View Post
The car was never streetable nor licensed, it was delivered to us as a trailered comp car. I am not sure that the #2049 is the correct chassis number, there is no maker plate or inscribed number on the chassis I have. Where specifically did the chassis number inscribe or identify the particular chassis? It is evident that portions of the chassis I have in my garage have been torched or cut off, perhaps this is where the chassis identifiers might have been placed.

Mike Heineke
Mike,

On top of what CompClassic has already posted (informative to say the least), I suggest you take current pictures, and post what you have here for reference.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-21-2021, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Mike Heineke
Hi Mike, and welcome to Club Cobra. CompClassics is absolutely correct that the frame constitutes the car. Attached body panels, suspension, drivetrain, electrical and trim items can come and go as they wear out or are destroyed. If the parts of your frame that carried the identification numbers have indeed been cut off, then the intent of the people who acquired these pieces is abundantly clear.

Spuriously "resurrecting" a collectible (or any) vehicle by underhanded manipulation/misuse of documents and identification numbers and then representing it as the original is nothing less than fraud and the perpetrators should be pursued and prosecuted - particularly so given the large sums of money that original Cobras command. If you actually do have the chassis of the original car, then I sincerely hope you are successful in establishing it's identity and exposing any fraudulent shysters hawking counterfeit replicas for what they are.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 06-21-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Old 06-21-2021, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deleted
Dominik and peterpjb like this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 11:02 PM..
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

I vaguely recall a story where one of the Kirkham brothers had acquired an original Cobra frame that had the serial number ground off and there was no way to figure out the original serial number, so he ended up putting a Kirkham serial number on the original Cobra frame.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Not the same numbers but the same things are happening with Harley Pans and Shovels.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Xbox-60 .....
John, call me xb-60, or Glen - just don't call me late for dinner, or 'Xbox-60"

Cheers,
Glen
CompClassics and 1795 like this.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deleted
1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.

Last edited by CompClassics; 07-18-2023 at 11:02 PM..
Old 06-28-2021, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Michael, I am fascinated by your story and your efforts to retrieve the car from a murky past. However, you should know that the factory records we have indicate that CSX 2049, which is indeed the car in which your stepfather lost his life, was sold to an Ann Abiden of Riverside, CA and initially street-registered with the black CA tag JJB-499. It was later given to her son Albert and converted to a race car. He allowed two other drivers to race the car in competitive events in CA, including Ted Roberts and Allen Grant, between April and September of '63. The "entrant" was listed as Albert Abidin. It wasn't until October that the name Paul Cunningham appeared as an entrant in a race at Willow Springs, listing the entrant as Muth Ford. Following Cunninham's fatal crash, the factory records indicate that the car was requested back at Shelby American for examination, following which buyer for the wrecked car appeared by the name of Lanse Hasselrig. There are documented payments to the Abidin family over a period of months to enable him to purchase the car, as well as photos of him with the crashed 2049. These facts appear to be in direct conflict with some of your points, and it remains to be determined what evidence exits to support your recollections about this car.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ned,

I am well aware of the spurious claims made by those you referenced. I have extensive research and documents that disprove the fabricated story of our Cobra. The documentation you refer to can be easily 'manufactured' as all you need is some period correct invoice paper, period correct typewriter, and voila! you have what some would accept as supportive paperwork.

Our family was in possession of the Cunningham Cobra during the period of time you reference, Paul was the only driver of the Cunningham Cobra, there was never a Ann Abidin or her son at any of our events including registrations, tech inspections, pre-grid, post-grid activities, parties, dinners, etc. IMO, a pure and distinct fabrication. There was never a Muth Ford involved with our Cobra.

There well may be a story as you relate but not with the Cunningham Cobra.

Only non-family at any of the Cunningham Cobra events and activities were our General Motors Sponsor (Chieftain Pontiac, Los Angeles)and pit boss (Mickey Thompson) for our big modified entry, either the "Terrible Tempest" or the Kurtis Kraft; Powerine Oil Sponsor of the Cobra (Peter Rothchild and their PR man; mechanics and personal family friends.

In the crooked world of high value early Cobra's there never is a loss that is not exploited by the unscrupulous. My efforts are to respect my father and his history and not to squeeze profits out of a tragic track event. People that participate in this type of self-interest activity will surely burn in hell as I have prayed to happen and if it were in my power, I would cast a curse upon any project that emerges at the expense of a grieving family.