Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   AP2289 Build log 'stage 2' (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/137611-ap2289-build-log-stage-2-a.html)

xb-60 04-19-2020 03:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Moving forward....to the nose ;)

I need a "splitter" for the nose, so made up this panel....

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 04-27-2020 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So as mentioned, I'm 'on the nose'.

First off, I fitted the indicators. Because of the curvature of the body, the way the indicators were going to sit was pointing down somewhat and splayed outwards. Looked a bit odd, so made up a 'wedge' for each indicator that pulled them back into line somewhat. Wedges were made from high density polyurethane sheet.

More to follow...

xb-60 04-27-2020 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Headlights come next, so time for a photo shoot of the front end. Opened the front garage door for the first time for a long time :3DSMILE:

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 05-01-2020 04:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorting through some older pictures related to my car. Came across some earlier pics of the wheels....working on the car, you become a little complacent about some of the really nice features of our Cobras, so just had to post this one....

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 05-05-2020 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now he has a nose badge :3DSMILE:

I had a little challenge to be able to secure the nose badge as the body thickness (it is carbon fibre and kevlar reinforced) is more than it would normally be.

Not sure about what to do on the trunk lid; the AC badge is flat and the trunk lid surface is curved, so will think about that before drilling any holes :rolleyes:

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Glen

tkb289 05-05-2020 11:59 PM

Hi Glen,

How did you settle on the location of the nose badge? I assume there are some reference points & dimensions involved. It may be an optical illusion, but the badge does not look parallel to the front of the car. It must be the angle of the camera and the radius of the leading edge of the front of the car?

On my FIA, ERA mounted a badge on the trunk and it seems to sit well on the surface, but you are wise to measure twice and drill once. To mock it up, put some blue painter’s tape on the trunk lid and find or make a flat disc about the same size of the badge and see how it sits on the trunk.

xb-60 05-06-2020 01:41 AM

Hi Tim,

You're correct Tim, the badge does look like it's skewed somewhat :eek:, but luckily it's just an illusion. A direct result of how little room I've got available in my garage for good camera shoots!
I actually used ERA's recommendations for the location of the nose badge. The pins are vertically placed on the badge, 1½” apart, and it's definitely correctly aligned :).

The Cobra badge you have on your trunk looks similar to the one I've fitted to the nose on my car, but the AC badge that I have for my trunk is at least 3" in diameter, is flat like the smaller Cobra badges, and looks like it would not sit well enough for my liking. As you say "measure twice, drill once". I'll see if I can post a a good picture of how it would sit.

Cheers!
Glen

Dimis 05-06-2020 01:53 AM

Badges are cheap... What happens when you heat it up?
Can you bend it to shape? We're only talking a couple of mm.
Nice work and Good luck.

xb-60 05-06-2020 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He (AP F289...none of this "she" or "her" girlie stuff) now has his 'scuttle support' tubes fitted. You might well ask "why scuttle support tubes on a semi-monocoque chassis", but, well, why not? The originals had them.... :)

Cheers,
Glen

Jaydee 05-06-2020 02:39 AM

Do you really need to drill for the badge? I placed mine with silastic and taped it in position for a couple of days. It won't come of in a hurry. At least if some low life tried to get it of it wont break the body work if it's pinned. JD

xb-60 05-06-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee (Post 1476096)
Do you really need to drill for the badge? I placed mine with silastic and taped it in position for a couple of days. It won't come of in a hurry. At least if some low life tried to get it of it wont break the body work if it's pinned. JD

That's what I had intended to do, but was persuaded to utilise the pins....but yes, I understand the "risk".

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 05-06-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimis (Post 1476094)
Badges are cheap... What happens when you heat it up?
Can you bend it to shape? We're only talking a couple of mm.
Nice work and Good luck.

Yeah Mr. D, but it's around 70mm diameter and 2.5mm thick. Agreed, might be cheap to a Kirkham owner such as yourself, but they are not all that easy to find.
Bob Putnam (ERA) says that "The street 289s had the same placement" but that would be for the smaller Cobra badges. I'm assuming that's not necessarily so for the AC badges on an English car.

I'll check my stock of pictures, and see if I can get away with placing it a little further forward on the trunk lid where the curvature is less. If that works and I'm happy with it, I dare anybody to be critical ;)

All good with you Anth? Staying under the radar I hope.

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 05-08-2020 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been trying to login for more than 24 hours....finally got lucky. What's going on??

Anyway, can finally report successful fitting of AC badge to the trunk. Top of the "A" is sitting up a bit over 1mm. Positioned it about an inch further forward than ERA's figures for the normal (smaller) Cobra badge.

Cheers!
Glen

patrickt 05-08-2020 04:35 AM

That looks good. Always go with what pleases the eye.:cool:

tkb289 05-09-2020 11:37 PM

Hi Glen,

Good solution for the badges, your methodical & measured approach paid off once again. I have no doubt they are properly mounted and they do look good, despite the optical illusion.

xb-60 05-11-2020 04:09 PM

Thanks Pat and Tim. Still a lot to do, but nice to be able to start adding some 'appearance' items.

Cheers
Glen

xb-60 05-15-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1474181)
....fitted the trunk number plate light. Unpacked it, and it's supplied without the plastic lens.....

Update....the correct plastic lens for the number plate light came in yesterday from PACE. Now fitted :)

Thanks Craig!

Cheers,
Glen

1795 05-16-2020 04:05 AM

Glen,

Always nice to see prompt and good service from a manufacturer. The class acts come through when mistakes happen, which are inevitable because most of us humans do not proclaim to be perfect and those that do fall far short of that claim. I have been more than happy with the service that I have received from Rick.

Jim

xb-60 05-19-2020 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update pic of dash....note my 'assembly fixture'

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 05-25-2020 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings Cobristi,

Made up, and just now fitted, leather door opening straps....

Attachment 34684

Now have two ways to open the door from inside (strap and latch handle).

How many cars have that :D ?

Cheers,
Glen