Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   AP2289 Build log 'stage 2' (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/137611-ap2289-build-log-stage-2-a.html)

xb-60 09-12-2020 03:45 AM

Update....as mentioned, brake lines at rear end finished.
Rear supply line is now connected to its master cylinder; pressure switch fitted also.
I had to reshape the line a little at the master cylinder because I had already pushed the three master cylinders as far forward as I could (because of my long legs).

Now working on the front brakes' circuit.

Cheers,
Glen

Jaydee 09-12-2020 05:39 PM

The last thing you need to make is a rotating jig that will rotate the car in all angles and put it in a art gallery for people to admire. You haven't built a car, it's more like art. Well done, I wish I had that much patience. JD

xb-60 09-13-2020 03:33 AM

JD, thanks :3DSMILE:
Got to admit, the project's getting more enjoyable the closer I get to the end I get :)

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 09-16-2020 04:58 PM

Installation of front brake lines now completed.

Here are the master cylinders….

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19179

Clutch is on the left (obviously); clutch hard line still to go in. Reservoirs of course will be remotely mounted.

….and here are the front brakes hard line routings to the flex line connections…..

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19178

Now on to the clutch hard line. Then there's a well insulated cover to go in over the three master cylinders.

Cheers!
Glen

cobrakiwi 09-23-2020 02:42 AM

Looking good Glen,
Very tidy build.
What is the power plant your going with for this one?

xb-60 09-23-2020 08:16 PM

Thanks Craig.

Because of registration compliance requirements here in South Australia, almost everything under the skin on my build differs from a 1960’s Cobra, hence the semi-monocoque “chassis” and the engine specs.

So which "power plant"? The engine is a 302, originally factory-built by Tickford. It is at least from the Windsor family and of course has strong links back to the original 289FIA cars. Because of registration regulations here in South Australia, it must comply with “Australian Design Rule 37/01”. This means that the engine has to wear all of its 2002 vintage emissions equipment which then allows a tick on the form at registration time; no emissions testing is required.

Further information: our local South Australian Cobra Club has been in discussions for some time with our State Government Transport Department regarding the possibility of relaxing these requirements for our Cobras. If successful, I would then be able to modify the engine to look much closer to an original FIA/USRRC car’s engine.

Short question, and long answer ;)

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 09-25-2020 01:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heat shield for the master cylinders (left) and the mounting bracket / heat shield for the remotely mounted reservoirs (right), each part now insulated on both sides....

xb-60 09-30-2020 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brake reservoirs now mounted....

xb-60 11-02-2020 01:36 AM

Greetings!

Slow (ie not much!) progress lately. Some other significant distractions to be attended to here.

On advice, did some minor rework on the master cylinder setup. Seems that the Wilwood setup needs to be spot-on to avoid leaks....changed the clamping to improve the chances of success....so soon about to start bleeding the brakes.

Here's what it looks like (not original, but my hands are tied to some extend :eek:) ...

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19215

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 11-02-2020 01:44 AM

One job that didn't take too long to complete in the last couple of days is a tow lug for the front end.

It's 50mm x 6mm section mild steel, ø25mm hole, attached to the chassis with a couple of M12 bolts, so should be sufficient, yes?

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19214

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 11-09-2020 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the clutch plumbing hard line....

Attachment 35384

Cheers,
Glen

ssv ute 11-21-2020 03:01 PM

Looking good Glen, your plumbing is very tidy, it may be an idea to check with your engineer re brake pressure switch, i believe that with 2 separate master cylinders (front and rear systems independent of each other) you need a pressure or float switch on both master cylinders.

Richard

Alfa02 11-21-2020 03:29 PM

Glen how soon, before we see a motor, gearbox installed??? I'm waiting with baited breath ;) I brought a piece of land up by Sequim Wa. Look it up. My last homestead. I will be within 5miles of 4-other Cobra owner's (Club Members). Will build my "Small" dream garage, and buy a 40' diesel pusher motorhome, half the time here in the PNW, and winters in AZ. With the boy's down there :) Ol'Karlos doesn't realize what he got his self into, by asking me to come down :) Life is good Glen if we can make it though the winter, Stay safe My Friend. Cheers TommyRot.

xb-60 11-21-2020 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv ute (Post 1485556)
Looking good Glen, your plumbing is very tidy, it may be an idea to check with your engineer re brake pressure switch, i believe that with 2 separate master cylinders (front and rear systems independent of each other) you need a pressure or float switch on both master cylinders.

Richard

Hi Richard. Thanks. Yes, I have a pressure switch on both circuits....

Attachment 35449

Your build is coming along nicely :)

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 11-21-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1485559)
Glen how soon, before we see a motor, gearbox installed??? I'm waiting with baited breath ;) I brought a piece of land up by Sequim Wa. Look it up. My last homestead. I will be within 5miles of 4-other Cobra owner's (Club Members). Will build my "Small" dream garage, and buy a 40' diesel pusher motorhome, half the time here in the PNW, and winters in AZ. With the boy's down there :) Ol'Karlos doesn't realize what he got his self into, by asking me to come down :) Life is good Glen if we can make it though the winter, Stay safe My Friend. Cheers TommyRot.

Ah, the hard questions from the "Alfa man" ;)

How long is a piece of string? Answer is...it's getting shorter. The gearbox is ready to go in (ie now) when the motor is ready. I have the scatter shield. I don't have the flywheel and the clutch, but that's easy to be able to tick off. I'm painting the block and heads almost as I type, and then it's off to a very trusted local guy for some "checks and balances", and then he will fit the motor and gearbox.

Cheers!
Glen

ssv ute 11-22-2020 11:42 AM

Sorry Glen, didn't notice 2nd switch in previous pics, keep up the excellent work.

Richard

xb-60 11-29-2020 09:04 PM

Made up some little discs from some aluminium alloy sheet. These are for attachment of the trunk bungy cord that some FIA's and Comp 289's had.

Adds a nice touch. I don't think I've seen them on any other replicas....(happy to be proven wrong ;)) ....

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=19244

Cheers!
Glen

1795 11-30-2020 04:18 AM

Glen,

Looks nice! I have seen them on some replicas, and thought about putting some on mine. However, it would be one more thing that could fly off at the track and it would give the technical inspectors pause, as would then have to verify that the boot would stay closed on it's own. Also, it would cause Dennis Olthoff to yell and swear at me as he was trying to fill my fuel cell during the enduro and had to take it off. It would go something like this, "Why the @@## is this ##@@@## bungy cord on the boot latch!" at which point it would be thrown over the pit wall never to be seen again.

She's coming along nicely.

Cheer,
Jim

BJ's Snake 11-30-2020 12:37 PM

Works for me!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...3_Medium_9.JPG

Cheers

xb-60 12-01-2020 02:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just fitted my 60mm Smiths clock.
A short story goes with it…. I had to make up an adaptor to fit it into the dash panel….reason being that when I made the panel, I assumed that the Smiths clock (original fit on early 289 cars and English COB cars) was ‘unobtainium’, so I made the hole where the clock should go larger in size (around 68mm) to take a 10psi SW 2⅝” fuel pressure gauge, which some of the early 289 Comp cars had instead of a clock.
Then I found a clock. Hence the need for an adaptor that would not be too noticeable.

Here’s the adaptor…

Attachment 35465

Here’s the clock fitted to the dash, with the adaptor…

Attachment 35466

Cheers!
Glen