Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Still getting used to the shifter a little - manage to almost make a couple 3rd gear starts - almost.
Maybe ask Bob to swap you for a different one in their inventory. Yours is like new and tell him you want the softest one he has.
BTW, I put a black zip tie on mine (very tight) at the very top ring to hold it on the shifter where I wanted it. Worked a charm, no creeping up. You can't see the tie if you use a 4"- long one.
Since I can't get a hat or tee from Cliff after all the brilliant contributions I made (), how about a 'Team DanEC' hat er somethin' ?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Since I can't get a hat or tee from Cliff after all the brilliant contributions I made (), how about a 'Team DanEC' hat er somethin' ?
I might have to work on something like that. I thought Bob P. would bite on my comment about potentially becoming the "lost ERA" that everyone wondered if it ended up lost in time and languishing in an incomplete state in a garage somewhere. He probably thought - that's about right.

Dan
Old 01-27-2014, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just so you know, your coated pipes and mufflers are blasted, your vinyl bulkhead has already started to sun-fade and there are stone chips at the wheel lips and hips
Chas - for the O.C. bunch in the crowd (it's curse when you do your own body and paint work) I do have a solution for the wheel lip stone chips. I took 7/32 ID neoprene, vacuum hose and split it length wise. I put a little dab of 3M dum dum caulking inside it at a few points for some stick-um and pushed them over the exposed fender lips behind the tires. Pretty much invisible on a black car. I have a set of static cling clear rear wheel fender protectors made for the 63/67 Corvette that should protect that area. I've had them on my 66 Vette for about 12 years. Also purchased some Cleartastic body film for the rocker panels but I'm not sure I'm going to use it yet, depends how aggressive the adhesive is.

Cleartastic Corvette & Camaro Paint Protection 1800 778 9898

I thought it was similar to the static cling material on my Corvette which they may produce.

63-67 Behind Rear Wheel Protection

If so it is a weak adhesive that allows easy removal and re-application.

And I have ERA's rear fender vinyl protectors but I haven't installed them yet.

No solution for the blasted exhaust pipes or sun-dried vinyl (except vinyl protectant.

All for the O.C. minded right now.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You do not have OCD-you have OCM.
Obsessive-compulsive MANIA...
-and a 3000 pound ERA...
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
-and a 3000 pound ERA...
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I've kind of outlived my fascination with personally experiencing the need for speed at all cost, so an extra 50 or 60 lbs probably won't be an issue. I may have nearly set a record weight for an ERA - you know the cigarette lighter, ash tray, steel heads, insulation, undercoating, street bumpers, wipers, etc.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I may have nearly set a record weight for an ERA - you know the cigarette lighter, ash tray, steel heads, insulation, undercoating, street bumpers, wipers, etc.
Yes-I know
Now I know you don't smoke so you could have saved 1.1 pounds right there!
But those iron heads-that's at least 44 pounds off the nose. Or the battery swapping 39 pounds from the nose to the trunk-it's not a speed thing but better balance...
I know-you'll wow them in the parking lot.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re-bled the brakes today and now have a hard and high pedal. I think Doug's suggestion that Kevin2 mentioned, of jacking the rear of the car up as high as possible, did the trick - although the short drive I took last week could have moved some of the air out of the master cylinders to where it would bleed. Looks like I'm ready for tags and registration now.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Great news Dan, getting the car registered is a step that will feel really good. As for the brakes, my pedal firmed up just from driving it around. I don't understand the science behind that, but someone suggested that would happen in my thread when I was complaining about the soft pedal.

Regardless, glad you got your remaining issues resolved and can move on.

Kevin
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Until the pads are "worn in", any (even minor) misalignment shows itself in a softer pedal.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, this winter weather just won't give up so it may be a while before I can bed my brakes in any. While I'm waiting I'm back to thinking about tackling the soft top. I can't get my garage above about 62 deg but I thought about putting an electric space heater on the floor board (with the seat out) and see if that would heat the top up as it's draped over the bows. Maybe just do the rear lift-a-dots for now and save the front channel for a truly warm day.

Then again - maybe not - maybe I'll just polish it some more until sping shows up.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... but I thought about putting an electric space heater on the floor board (with the seat out) and see if that would heat the top up as it's draped over the bows.
Well, we haven't had a good "my car caught on fire in my garage" thread in quite some time....
Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, we haven't had a good "my car caught on fire in my garage" thread in quite some time....
Your way over crediting the output of my 1500 W space heater (which I run on the low setting). Kind of like a good hair dryer.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From recommendations by Kevins2 (and ERAChas) I upgraded to the 3 inch shoulder harnesses with pads. By being a little stiffer and bulkier they are a bit more manageable in keeping the cockpit clutter orgainized. (Where did all of my vinyl covered bulkhead disappear to?)

And the big news is it's street legal now - whoo whoo. Registration in Arkansas is slam-dunk simple. I thought the antique tags are a nice touch.

Unfortunately we have 2-3 inches of fresh snow outside.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Looks great! From the cockpit photo, it appears you kept the original shoulder harness brackets that came with the narrower straps. Interesting AR allows antique plates. Probably someone on the forum knows how many states allow that.

As for the weather, we're in the same boat, snow on the ground and more on the way so I'm waiting impatiently for Spring.

Kevin
Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Hi Dan,

Looks great! From the cockpit photo, it appears you kept the original shoulder harness brackets that came with the narrower straps. Interesting AR allows antique plates. Probably someone on the forum knows how many states allow that.

As for the weather, we're in the same boat, snow on the ground and more on the way so I'm waiting impatiently for Spring.

Kevin
Kevin - I tried it with the supplied brackets first but decided like you, that the angled brackets would work best. Hated to cut up and throw away the old harness straps but that was kind of the pack rat in me surfacing. I also reversed the loose end of the strap to run underneath so it can hang behind the seat. From your pictures it looks like you did the same.

At the tag office I asked them - since this is a replica of a 65 and registered as such and falls under the custom car category is it possible to just put an antique tag on it. That lead to a short conference amongst everyone there and he came back and said "sure, no problem". Never have to pay a tag renewal fee as long as I own it. I try to follow the policy of it never hurts to ask - since the worst case answer is no.

Waiting on a transmission spacer from ERA to raise it up slightly more and get a little additional clearance for the shift handle and boot. Otherwise, not much left except the top.

This is certainly turning into a long winter. Of the three of us recently trying to finish up our ERAs, Lippy is the only one who lives where he could probably be getting in some driving time right now - but he's fighting his own problems that are keeping him from getting out.

Stay warm

Dan
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Kevin - I tried it with the supplied brackets first but decided like you, that the angled brackets would work best. Hated to cut up and throw away the old harness straps but that was kind of the pack rat in me surfacing. I also reversed the loose end of the strap to run underneath so it can hang behind the seat. From your pictures it looks like you did the same.
Hi Dan,

Actually, I kept the loose ends on top as they were originally and they are simply tucked into the pads.

I've been following Lippy's thread and feel for him. Hope he gets that resolved and can move on.

Kevin
Old 02-08-2014, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I thought the antique tags are a nice touch.
In this case, they refer to the owner, not the vehicle...
Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
In this case, they refer to the owner, not the vehicle...
Hey - I may resemble that remark.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Dan - Forgive me if this has already been discussed - I am not familiar with the entire thread. You mentioned you are 6'2". It is recommended that the shoulder belts do not exceed 10 degrees from the mounting point to the top of the shoulder.

Beautiful - beautiful.

chr
Old 02-10-2014, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks - actually a 90 deg mount at the bulkhead would probably work fine. I don't know if Crow makes anything like that or not. I haven't really looked at the angle. To lessen it any would almost require mounting to a bar on a rollbar. But I have the seat sitting on the floor so it's probably not to bad as is.