Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Go to "World of Wheels" the "2015 Auto Show" or another of the big shows that have all the new cars from all the dealers. You know, one of the shows that has a thousand or so new cars. When you see a color that's perfect for you, snap a pic of the sticker in the window that has the exact paint color. That's the best way to spot your color. It might come from a Mercedes, or it might come from a Yugo, but you'll find it.
Yea, thats where i found the color i love, its a BMW orange, Fire Orange (paint code: U94), its absolutely beautiful. But now, after looking at all the Cobra's im kinda doubtful...i don't know. I may have to flip a coin.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Yep. You can use Photoshop to eyedrop and replace colors on different Cobras that you like, and different colors that you like, to get a feel for your motif. I can see either a black stripe or a white stripe with that color. Although a black stripe, black pipes, and black roll bar would certainly turn heads at the party....
Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

As long as you do not choose beige you will be fine.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yep. You can use Photoshop to eyedrop and replace colors on different Cobras that you like, and different colors that you like, to get a feel for your motif. I can see either a black stripe or a white stripe with that color. Although a black stripe, black pipes, and black roll bar would certainly turn heads at the party....
that's the plan, i have a quote sitting in front of me right now from ERA for black safety bar, black fuel cap and black louvers, along with other goodies.

But, the OG black and sky blue metallic are great also.

+5 points on your usage of motif in a sentence in a forum!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

As I have said on this site many times... you can line up 50 Cobras, original and replica, and every one will be different. It truly becomes a personal thing and always has.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I really like that BMW orange color, but I think it would be better without a stripe.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Picking the color is probably one of the most difficult choices you will make.
- Tim
I'd say the single most difficult decision and one of the reasons why I chose what I chose. No color.

That BMW Fire Orange is gorgeous, but I wouldn't paint it on an ERA Cobra.

Solid flat tappet cam = Circa 1890 technology.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I really like that BMW orange color, but I think it would be better without a stripe.
you think?

i like either way....but, the stripe seems to break it up a little? But then again...i dont know.

anyway, im 90% on that color.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'd say the single most difficult decision and one of the reasons why I chose what I chose. No color.

That BMW Fire Orange is gorgeous, but I wouldn't paint it on an ERA Cobra.

Solid flat tappet cam = Circa 1890 technology.
yours is black? Stripe or no?

see that's why im 10% undecided....10% of me is saying bright orange is for a lesser caliber car, i.e. the color doesn't need to garner attention, the quality, craftsmanship, and history of the car will do that.

I mean seriously, the more i read and research, the more i want to stay "somewhat" original with the color. I was at 99% on orange, then more reading and now im at 90%.

Also, when i started this search a while ago, i wanted one really bad, NOW i really, really, really, want one. just have to (try) keep my cool and not make a hasty decision.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There's no rush picking a color. Your car won't go to the painter for about a year, at best.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
There's no rush picking a color. Your car won't go to the painter for about a year, at best.
And it will take half that long to get those flat tappets dialed in!
Old 12-20-2014, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

A girl with a sensational body looks good in any color bikini.
raider390 likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I say go with your initial gut, and it sounds like that is orange. My initial gut was Ferrari Blu Pozzi, then I spent a year looking at other blues, then I ended up going with the Pozzi and I'm happy. But there were two versions, and it's important to see sample cards of the paint to make sure you actually get what you have your mind set on.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

William,

If you like orange, here is a very nice example of an orange Cobra.

It's McLaren volcano orange … not a common color combination, and it sure stands out. As you can see, there is a bit of metal in the paint, so it's not quite the same as the BMW fire orange you are considering, which by the way looks very much like (non metallic) McLaren orange.

For stripes, most common colors are white or black. That being said, one of our local members has a beautiful black 427 with Red stripes. As Patrick mentioned, you have plenty of time to decide, as it will probably be a year before your car goes to paint if you choose ERA.

Go to some local Club Cobra gatherings and look around, same thing online with Cobra Country. There are so many choices and as it was noted earlier, no two Cobras are alike.

- Tim

Old 12-21-2014, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

After wearing yourself out on colors you can start thinking wheels. A number of options there also. I would check out Lippys's FIA wheels on his car. Really nice wheels and a really nice deep , dark blue paint color also.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Really nice wheels and a really nice deep , dark blue paint color also.
Six pin wheels, with the interior of the wheel carefully painted to match an "old school" hue that will highlight the color you've chosen for your body.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

You guys are going to have Will twisted in knots before he even gets his Cobra ordered. And you aren't doing his budget any favors either. LOL ......

Will, trust your gut for a lot of these decisions, or you'll be going back and forth forever and never get your car. But keep in mind, some of these "specialty" paints can get very expensive. The paint alone for my Cobra was near $1,000 a gallon and that didn't include the labor, clear coat or stripe color. Some paints are much more expensive, depending on supplier, color, pearls and metals in them, etc....

As for engines, nothing cooler in a Cobra than an FE, but also the most expensive route to take. If you must have an FE and the budget is tight, try to find a used one that someone is changing over to something else for whatever reason. I've seen some real deals come up on FE engines that were extremely low mileage for various reasons guys were moving them along.

Is there a Cobra club in your area? If so, join in and attend a few meetings. Get to know the guys and their cars and start to really look at what you would like to build. It will be an eye opener for sure.....

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 12-21-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Old 12-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Can't go wrong with ERA. It took me seven months to get my car in semi-kit form, (bonded body, powdercoated frame, chrome bumpers & roll bar). I used the Jag style rear with five-pin adapters and Camaro brakes. No problems at all, it's not a race car. I had a 428 FE mildly built up with some goodies (turkey pan) over a 750 vacuum secondary carb. It's black, the only color I considered. I used a rebuilt C/R Toploader w/3:31 rear and the car hit the street in exactly two years, as I did everything else myself.
Right now ERA doesn't seem to be too busy (I was there the other day for the annual 'Open House'), so you may get lucky like I did and get your car a little quicker. Everyone who sees my car thinks it's original, even Wayne Carini, but blame that on ERA, who did the original body molds off an original 427 Cobra. Finished it seven years ago and don't have any regrets for spending the extra for an ERA (not much above your budget). Doesn't shake or rattle, but it sure as hell rolls. Take a look at my photo gallery, I think you'll agree.
PS. A local Unique owner spend quite some time selling his Unique to buy an ERA. Now he's happy. Good luck.
66gtk likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Orange never appealed to me until I saw this thread from 2011.

heres my dads 65 427s/c
rodneym likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Coyle View Post
A girl with a sensational body looks good in any color bikini.
true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I say go with your initial gut, and it sounds like that is orange. My initial gut was Ferrari Blu Pozzi, then I spent a year looking at other blues, then I ended up going with the Pozzi and I'm happy. But there were two versions, and it's important to see sample cards of the paint to make sure you actually get what you have your mind set on.
Orange is my gut....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
William,

If you like orange, here is a very nice example of an orange Cobra.

It's McLaren volcano orange … not a common color combination, and it sure stands out. As you can see, there is a bit of metal in the paint, so it's not quite the same as the BMW fire orange you are considering, which by the way looks very much like (non metallic) McLaren orange.

For stripes, most common colors are white or black. That being said, one of our local members has a beautiful black 427 with Red stripes. As Patrick mentioned, you have plenty of time to decide, as it will probably be a year before your car goes to paint if you choose ERA.

Go to some local Club Cobra gatherings and look around, same thing online with Cobra Country. There are so many choices and as it was noted earlier, no two Cobras are alike.

- Tim
Nice, but too dark for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
After wearing yourself out on colors you can start thinking wheels. A number of options there also. I would check out Lippys's FIA wheels on his car. Really nice wheels and a really nice deep , dark blue paint color also.
i think the wheels are the easy part...original.

Quote:
Six pin wheels, with the interior of the wheel carefully painted to match an "old school" hue that will highlight the color you've chosen for your body.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
You guys are going to have Will twisted in knots before he even gets his Cobra ordered. And you aren't doing his budget any favors either. LOL ......

Will, trust your gut for a lot of these decisions, or you'll be going back and forth forever and never get your car. But keep in mind, some of these "specialty" paints can get very expensive. The paint alone for my Cobra was near $1,000 a gallon and that didn't include the labor, clear coat or stripe color. Some paints are much more expensive, depending on supplier, color, pearls and metals in them, etc....

As for engines, nothing cooler in a Cobra than an FE, but also the most expensive route to take. If you must have an FE and the budget is tight, try to find a used one that someone is changing over to something else for whatever reason. I've seen some real deals come up on FE engines that were extremely low mileage for various reasons guys were moving them along.

Is there a Cobra club in your area? If so, join in and attend a few meetings. Get to know the guys and their cars and start to really look at what you would like to build. It will be an eye opener for sure.....

Bob
You're right Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Can't go wrong with ERA. It took me seven months to get my car in semi-kit form, (bonded body, powdercoated frame, chrome bumpers & roll bar). I used the Jag style rear with five-pin adapters and Camaro brakes. No problems at all, it's not a race car. I had a 428 FE mildly built up with some goodies (turkey pan) over a 750 vacuum secondary carb. It's black, the only color I considered. I used a rebuilt C/R Toploader w/3:31 rear and the car hit the street in exactly two years, as I did everything else myself.
Right now ERA doesn't seem to be too busy (I was there the other day for the annual 'Open House'), so you may get lucky like I did and get your car a little quicker. Everyone who sees my car thinks it's original, even Wayne Carini, but blame that on ERA, who did the original body molds off an original 427 Cobra. Finished it seven years ago and don't have any regrets for spending the extra for an ERA (not much above your budget). Doesn't shake or rattle, but it sure as hell rolls. Take a look at my photo gallery, I think you'll agree.
PS. A local Unique owner spend quite some time selling his Unique to buy an ERA. Now he's happy. Good luck.
WOW, if i get a cobra i can meet Wayne Carini? wow! how is he in "real life" he seems a little arrogant on TV? he lost points with me on the episode that he was trying to arrive early at Pebble beach and the entrance guard didn't recognize him, he threw a hissy fit on camera. Good show, but how about we WORK on cars more.

Now a GREAT show is "Wheeler Dealers" they actually WORK on cars without the TV soap opera drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601HP View Post
Orange never appealed to me until I saw this thread from 2011.

heres my dads 65 427s/c
NICE!!! (needs a stripe!)