Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

[quote=willtwallace;1330527]
Lastly, don’t put no stinking Chevy motor in a Cobra!

William

Above all else don't do that. I think some of the ERA guys would stop takling to you.

I looked closely at a Unique also and it was my choice before ERA and after Hurricane Motors temporarily shut down before turning over owners. I think Unique builds really nice car that has been around forever - which is good.

The body proportions are excellent - right there with ERA. In my mind the things that distinguished between the two was that ERA is more faithful to the originals in the interior design/components. Some of that can be overcome with a little additional work and expense if important enough.

ERA is also a little more faithful to the originals under the hood, although neither will ever fool anyone for an original Cobra with a rectangular main frame rail, different wiring harness and arrangement of the major electrical components. But ERA does a pretty good job of mimicing the original front suspension tower and the radiator installation, footboxes, aluminum panels, etc.

A few other things I liked about ERA in comparison was the slightly larger (stiffer) main frame rails although that packs a few extra pounds on. But Unique's have always beern noted for a stiff frame also. I like the additional , heavier, supporting structure around the front and rear cowl to carry the doors, dash, windshield, etc. I like the rear suspension carrier assembly with four mounting points and trailing arms to help pick up impact loads on the outboard hubs.

ERA has an excellent quality fiberglass body. That's not to say that if you get it unfinshed all you have to do is sand it and spray it. Any hand laid body takes a considerable amount of prep work to ready for paint. I also like that it is double walled in many areas where it is bonded and where inner body panels are mounted. This unstresss the outer body and prevents print through on the outer surface over time where bulkheads and inner panels are adhered. I own an old Corvette and this is a typical problem with refinishing them. It also is reinforced around the hood opening and very stiff there. There's no flexing of the body when you are working in the engine bay and leaning over the fenders. I do like the fully bonded body. If it is ever in a collision that may add some time and cost for repair but in the meantime it's about as solid of an open roadster as you could ever expect. I cringe any time I even see someone even lean against a car but I think except for paint and maybe the hood itself, you could climb up and jump up and down on this thing all day without doing it any body damage.

But, I don't own a Unique so I'm sure someone who does can point out some significant features and improvements of the Weavers work. They have enjoyed an excellent reputation from many years.

Keep studying.

Last edited by DanEC; 12-19-2014 at 04:16 AM..
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
Dual front fans (must have!!!)
One of my improvements that ERA has not adopted, but they should, is to wire your front pusher fans so that they are independent of the thermo controlled puller fan switch. I have a lengthy thread in this forum showing the wiring diagram, and giving the reasons, for doing so. But what you want is to have the puller fan normally thermostatically controlled, but have the switch on the dash act as an override so that both the puller and the pushers all come on via the switch. Thus, the pusher fans only come on when the dash switch is turned on. The pushers also need to be on a separate fuse and a separate relay. This redundancy will allow you to get home in traffic if your puller fan relay/fuse/wiring/ or fan itself should fail. Plus, having the fans separate reduces the ridiculously high inrush current across the single relay and ammeter when the thermo switch kicks on. Incidentally, pusher fans still "appear" to be running, albeit at a very slow speed, as you're rolling down the street because of the air coming in to the snout. You should go with the heavy duty puller fan (SPAL #30102120), it's just a few dollars more than the standard fan and makes a good bit of difference. Ask them to wire the redundant fan circuit, like I did mine, up front for you, because doing it after the fact is, like doing anything on these cars, a PITA.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

William,

Since you're still collecting ideas, here's a link to my thread, which includes some good suggestions and tips from the guys on this forum.

First Pics of ERA #795
Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=DanEC;1330558]
Quote:
Lastly, don’t put no stinking Chevy motor in a Cobra!

William

Above all else don't do that. I think some of the ERA guys would stop takling to you.

I looked closely at a Unique also and it was my choice before ERA and after Hurricane Motors temporarily shut down before turning over owners. I think Unique builds really nice car that has been around forever - which is good.

The body proportions are excellent - right there with ERA. In my mind the things that distinguished between the two was that ERA is more faithful to the originals in the interior design/components. Some of that can be overcome with a little additional work and expense if important enough.

ERA is also a little more faithful to the originals under the hood, although neither will ever fool anyone for an original Cobra with a rectangular main frame rail, different wiring harness and arrangement of the major electrical components. But ERA does a pretty good job of mimicing the original front suspension tower and the radiator installation, footboxes, aluminum panels, etc.

A few other things I liked about ERA in comparison was the slightly larger (stiffer) main frame rails although that packs a few extra pounds on. But Unique's have always beern noted for a stiff frame also. I like the additional , heavier, supporting structure around the front and rear cowl to carry the doors, dash, windshield, etc. I like the rear suspension carrier assembly with four mounting points and trailing arms to help pick up impact loads on the outboard hubs.

ERA has an excellent quality fiberglass body. That's not to say that if you get it unfinshed all you have to do is sand it and spray it. Any hand laid body takes a considerable amount of prep work to ready for paint. I also like that it is double walled in many areas where it is bonded and where inner body panels are mounted. This unstresss the outer body and prevents print through on the outer surface over time where bulkheads and inner panels are adhered. I own an old Corvette and this is a typical problem with refinishing them. It also is reinforced around the hood opening and very stiff there. There's no flexing of the body when you are working in the engine bay and leaning over the fenders. I do like the fully bonded body. If it is ever in a collision that may add some time and cost for repair but in the meantime it's about as solid of an open roadster as you could ever expect. I cringe any time I even see someone even lean against a car but I think except for paint and maybe the hood itself, you could climb up and jump up and down on this thing all day without doing it any body damage.

But, I don't own a Unique so I'm sure someone who does can point out some significant features and improvements of the Weavers work. They have enjoyed an excellent reputation from many years.

Keep studying.
Great points. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
One of my improvements that ERA has not adopted, but they should, is to wire your front pusher fans so that they are independent of the thermo controlled puller fan switch. I have a lengthy thread in this forum showing the wiring diagram, and giving the reasons, for doing so. But what you want is to have the puller fan normally thermostatically controlled, but have the switch on the dash act as an override so that both the puller and the pushers all come on via the switch. Thus, the pusher fans only come on when the dash switch is turned on. The pushers also need to be on a separate fuse and a separate relay. This redundancy will allow you to get home in traffic if your puller fan relay/fuse/wiring/ or fan itself should fail. Plus, having the fans separate reduces the ridiculously high inrush current across the single relay and ammeter when the thermo switch kicks on. Incidentally, pusher fans still "appear" to be running, albeit at a very slow speed, as you're rolling down the street because of the air coming in to the snout. You should go with the heavy duty puller fan (SPAL #30102120), it's just a few dollars more than the standard fan and makes a good bit of difference. Ask them to wire the redundant fan circuit, like I did mine, up front for you, because doing it after the fact is, like doing anything on these cars, a PITA.
mr. patrickt sir, we may not agree on leather, but i knew, if i kept asking dumb questions, i would wear you down and we would eventually agree on something!

I like that idea, and will defiantly request that if i go with ERA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
William,

Since you're still collecting ideas, here's a link to my thread, which includes some good suggestions and tips from the guys on this forum.

First Pics of ERA #795
This place is like have an Encyclopedia Britannica on my shelf (i assume most here of of the encyclopedia era, not the wiki-pedia era).

Thank you again, to all!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

My experience with ERA mirrors everyone else's. I just bought a used ERA Cobra and the windshield had a crack in it. The prior owner had purchased a windshield from ERA over 2 years ago but didn't install it. When he had a glass installer change it out, he said it didn't fit. ERA immediately ordered a whole new glass and frame and offered to take the old windshield back. That speaks volumes about how much they care for their customers and the cars they created. In the end, I took the car to ERA to have the windshield replaced and the old glass did fit. Doug and Ritchie did a beautiful job with a number of upgrades including front fans, installing a turkey pan, Pentroof valve covers, carburetor tuning, etc. True craftsmen. If you come up to CT to visit ERA, I have both a cobra and a ERA GT40 that you can try out. No pressure, you can take your time and really check them out. Their both about 10 years old so you can see how there holding up. Everything is put away, but come Spring I'll have them ready to go. If you need a place to stay, I have a small cabin on the CT River you can crash at. Good luck with your decision. Mike
Old 12-19-2014, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
My experience with ERA mirrors everyone else's. I just bought a used ERA Cobra and the windshield had a crack in it. The prior owner had purchased a windshield from ERA over 2 years ago but didn't install it. When he had a glass installer change it out, he said it didn't fit. ERA immediately ordered a whole new glass and frame and offered to take the old windshield back. That speaks volumes about how much they care for their customers and the cars they created. In the end, I took the car to ERA to have the windshield replaced and the old glass did fit. Doug and Ritchie did a beautiful job with a number of upgrades including front fans, installing a turkey pan, Pentroof valve covers, carburetor tuning, etc. True craftsmen. If you come up to CT to visit ERA, I have both a cobra and a ERA GT40 that you can try out. No pressure, you can take your time and really check them out. Their both about 10 years old so you can see how there holding up. Everything is put away, but come Spring I'll have them ready to go. If you need a place to stay, I have a small cabin on the CT River you can crash at. Good luck with your decision. Mike
Awesome....that's a ten hour drive, so i may need to spend the night!

Thank you
Old 12-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Awesome....that's a ten hour drive, so i may need to spend the night!
Yep, that's quite an offer. Now, if you just close your lids, and let your mind's eye focus, through the glass darkly, you can just make out the form of that new ERA 427, with you behind the wheel....
Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yep, that's quite an offer. Now, if you just close your lids, and let your mind's eye focus, through the glass darkly, you can just make out the form of that new ERA 427, with you behind the wheel....
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i see it!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hmmmm, well, ok, regardless, or "irregardless," as Bernica's father-in-law would say, the outboard rear still goes better with a nice Walnut burl shift knob.
Patrick, I must say you lost me on this one. But then, I'm not as deep as you. Although my father-in-law is completely dead, he did enjoy a nice rear end in his day.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Patrick, I must say you lost me on this one. But then, I'm not as deep as you. Although my father-in-law is completely dead, he did enjoy a nice rear end in his day.
Dammitt, it wasn't you, it was Dimis. Newbe Trying to Learn about CSX I don't usually make a mistake like that....
Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, today i have received:

The "Birth of a New Machine" by Dan Somers
The Big Guide to Cobra Kits and Parts
How to build Cobra kit cars + buying used by Brian Smith
and the 2014 Kit Car Magazine Cobra Buyers Guide

I know this is old hat to you guys, but i wanted the material for myself. I guessed most of what i would get would be mostly topical mixed with some copy and paste from web sites. Some has proven to be just that, upon initial review.

But, i am sure there are some bits and pieces of wisdom contained within.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Most excellent!
You might also want to get the World Registry of Cobras as well. Much history and info in there. It isn't cheap, but many here consider it the "Bible" and it's bigger than a phone book!

It's all about learning what you don't know yet, which never ends!

http://www.saac.com/components/com_v...4944ac79e2.jpg
Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Most excellent!
You might also want to get the World Registry of Cobras as well. Much history and info in there. It isn't cheap, but many here consider it the "Bible" and it's bigger than a phone book!

It's all about learning what you don't know yet, which never ends!

http://www.saac.com/components/com_v...4944ac79e2.jpg
yup, now im waiting for "Shelby Cobra Fifty Years" to arrive, looks promising.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
yup, now im waiting for "Shelby Cobra Fifty Years" to arrive, looks promising.
You will see stuff that you want, and it all costs more, and more, and more. Wait until you start spec'ing out that FE.... (solid flat tappet, of course)
Bernica likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You will see stuff that you want, and it all costs more, and more, and more. Wait until you start spec'ing out that FE.... (solid flat tappet, of course)
i know right. I'm almost solid on manufacture,but now its the "details" like do i want a glove box? or things like should i rethink orange and go with a traditional color? man, the more i research this great machine, the more i feel obligated to uphold a certain standard when i get mine. Not just go off on some crazy whim.....man this is tough!
xb-60 likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Another good read if you want to learn about the Cobra history is "The Cobra Ferrari Wars". First edition is best, but they are both good.

Watch Patrick or you will end up with dual rollbars too!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
i know right. I'm almost solid on manufacture,but now its the "details" like do i want a glove box? or things like should i rethink orange and go with a traditional color? man, the more i research this great machine, the more i feel obligated to uphold a certain standard when i get mine. Not just go off on some crazy whim.....man this is tough!
Just wait until REAL1 shows up!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:

William … it’s best not to stray too far from the original recipe (so to speak) when building a Cobra …. IMHO.

Picking the color is probably one of the most difficult choices you will make. Let’s say you decide on a more traditional color, blue for example … there is everything from Viking / Princess blue to Guardsman, Royal, Indigo, Navy, Ferrari Pozzi Blu and more. Two words of caution.

- Just because a paint is called ‘Guardsman’ blue for example, the exact shade of paint may vary from supplier to supplier.
- Some of the darker blues might have a bit of a purple tinge. This seems to be especially true of Indigo blue. I am very happy with the deep Indigo blue on my car, but have heard from other owners that chose ‘Indigo’ blue that wound up having a definite purple tinge to it … which is OK if that’s the color you want, but could be an unexpected surprise if not.

Most of the blues have some small amount of metal flake, but some do not. Then there is of course the choice of stripes or no stripes … it never ends … but that’s half the fun! Decisions … decisions !

- Tim
Old 12-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Picking the color is probably one of the most difficult choices you will make.
Go to "World of Wheels" the "2015 Auto Show" or another of the big shows that have all the new cars from all the dealers. You know, one of the shows that has a thousand or so new cars. When you see a color that's perfect for you, snap a pic of the sticker in the window that has the exact paint color. That's the best way to spot your color. It might come from a Mercedes, or it might come from a Yugo, but you'll find it.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
William … it’s best not to stray too far from the original recipe (so to speak) when building a Cobra …. IMHO.

Picking the color is probably one of the most difficult choices you will make. Let’s say you decide on a more traditional color, blue for example … there is everything from Viking / Princess blue to Guardsman, Royal, Indigo, Navy, Ferrari Pozzi Blu and more. Two words of caution.

- Just because a paint is called ‘Guardsman’ blue for example, the exact shade of paint may vary from supplier to supplier.
- Some of the darker blues might have a bit of a purple tinge. This seems to be especially true of Indigo blue. I am very happy with the deep Indigo blue on my car, but have heard from other owners that chose ‘Indigo’ blue that wound up having a definite purple tinge to it … which is OK if that’s the color you want, but could be an unexpected surprise if not.

Most of the blues have some small amount of metal flake, but some do not. Then there is of course the choice of stripes or no stripes … it never ends … but that’s half the fun! Decisions … decisions !

- Tim
yea, im seeing that more and more. i do want to make it "mine" aka personalize it, BUT at the same time this isn't just an "average" kit car. this car does not embody the typical stereotypes that are sometimes synonymous with kit cars.

Typically, one doesn't buy a popular car without making some type of aesthetic change to personalize it. But with this gem, the originality is part of the true experience. Therefore, my plan is somewhat morphing into originality and showing some expression under the hood.....? Maybe a small block with a Kenne Bell twin screw SC.

for me there are some things that must remain original or as close as possible.

Things like the wheels
Interior
Body style (in shape)
Stripe, gotta have it!
front fans