Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #828
Not Ranked     

Nice work Andrew, looking forward to seeing more as you go. I just received my Jag rear from David at Everyday XJ, along with all of the part numbers from Doug at ERA, so I hope to get started on it in a few weeks.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrumpley View Post
Nice work Andrew, looking forward to seeing more as you go. I just received my Jag rear from David at Everyday XJ, along with all of the part numbers from Doug at ERA, so I hope to get started on it in a few weeks.
Exciting! Feel free to hit me up if you get stuck on something.
bcrumpley likes this.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

The paint job really is nice.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your car looks fantastic! Don't want to add to your to-do list, but I suggest you paint the underside of the spare tire try black at some point before it's all put together.

Painting Underside of ERA FIA Spare Tire Tray ?
AndrewB and 66gtk like this.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Looking great, I would concur that while you have it up and not fully together, paint the under side of the spare tire tray black.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great suggestion, thanks! I'll add that to the list. I wish I did that before the rear went in, but better now than later I suppose. I'm liking the idea of using bed liner/undercoating for durability. Anyone know what the originals looked like? In going through my picture archive, I am not finding a real good angle of the well in a car that was not overly restored.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

No, leave it alone! I love the combination and I think it's perfect.

John O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
I was really struck by the princess blue/red color combination, but I understand its not for everyone. I'm sure I'll hear a few "shoulda done a black interior" but that's OK by me. I am a bit concerned though that I might have chosen a red leather that is too bright. ERA offered a great selection of swatches and now I feel like I should have chosen a darker version. I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it, but as of now that is a future me dilemma.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Great suggestion, thanks! I'll add that to the list. I wish I did that before the rear went in, but better now than later I suppose. I'm liking the idea of using bed liner/undercoating for durability. Anyone know what the originals looked like? In going through my picture archive, I am not finding a real good angle of the well in a car that was not overly restored.
In looking around for a good photo, it appears in the original cars some of the spare tire tray tubs were dark and some were light. I tried to upload photos, but it wouldn't let me, so links are below.

light - https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/0...rs-to-auction/

light - http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...2135-some.html

dark - http://www.motortrend.com/news/1964-shelby-cobra-289/

dark - http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/inv...obra-1636.aspx

dark (and with a red interior like your car) - https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctio...9-cobra/175168

Anyone know the answer as to how they originally came from Shelby?

Last edited by Cobalt289; 03-09-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Old 03-09-2018, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the links! I've ordered up a quart of Herculiner so we'll see how that looks.

John, I'm definitely sticking with red. I'm just not positive that I selected the right shade. It's supposed to be sunny this weekend (gasp!) so I'll try to push it out and take some pictures in natural light to illustrate.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

AndrewB anything to update?
Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unfortunately not a whole lot as we've been quite busy the past month. I did end up Herculine'ing the underside of the spare tire well black and it came out great. I got some time this weekend to work on the engine and got the front cover, water pump, and rocker studs installed. Hoping to button up the rest of it in the next week or two.

Here's a few pictures I took back in March.

Getting some vitamin D.

Found a somewhat appropriate 1963/64 Washington plate and had it restored.

My helper
1985 CCX and ACHiPo like this.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That last picture is funny. I've got shots from when my ERA was new just like it... but they grow up and now he has his own roadster (a BMW Z4) and is pushing hard for his "first drive in the Cobra." Time absolutely flies by.

Last edited by patrickt; 05-29-2018 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Edit -- added the pic
Old 05-31-2018, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've often wished he were a bit older so his contributions to the project could be more substantial, and for him to have solid memories of the process other than pictures, but I already feel that the days are really flying by and they are growing up uncomfortably (for me) fast. While I do get frustrated that we are not further along, spending time with family always has to come first.

I guess that is just an excuse to do another build down the road!
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've often wished he were a bit older so his contributions to the project could be more substantial, and for him to have solid memories of the process other than pictures, but I already feel that the days are really flying by and they are growing up uncomfortably (for me) fast. While I do get frustrated that we are not further along, spending time with family always has to come first.

I guess that is just an excuse to do another build down the road!
Yeah you need a 427 to complement that slabside!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well a street 427, narrow hip, on sunbursts, perhaps ivy green does make me feel all tingly in my nether regions.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

AndrewB - How about an update. Are you driving yet?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
AndrewB - How about an update. Are you driving yet?
Ouch. That hurts

No, definitely not driving. In fact, the car and I are not even on the same coast. Long story short, I noticed a handful of little pimples on the car that I was certain were not there on delivery so I sent Connecticut Custom a few pictures and they quickly arranged for the car to be shipped back to them. It's a bummer, but I am very impressed (and thankful) that Connecticut Custom stood behind their work like they have. I was not really planning on posting about this as it sounds like a fluke incident and I didn't want anything to get misconstrued. I just want to be clear that I have nothing but good things to say about the Walts and their work and I would not hesitate to use them again. That said, the paint work is now complete and it is back at ERA waiting on Intercity for pick up, but they are fully booked due to Pebble Beach. Last estimate I got was first week in September for pick up.

Now I wish I could say that I was just waiting on the car, but summer has been busy and the engine project has taken a back seat. I estimate* I need another solid weekend to get it wrapped up. Instead, I have been buying awesome parts for the car that I didn't think I needed such as Armrer's beautiful seat tracks, some correct mirrors, and other little things I noticed while ogling the original 289's at SAAC. With that, I'm done spending money on it for real this time...really I am. .

I'm really hoping I can get a few good drives in before the weather changes but that is looking more and more unlikely.

*if history is any indication on this project, and my estimating skills, a week is more like a month+.
Mach 1 Fan and 1795 like this.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Nice to hear that you will be able to be back at it soon. Also, like your attitude about the paint job. I too am of the opinion that even the best people will at times make mistakes or have something go wrong. If that happens, you contact them and if they make it right, then no need to trash talk them in a public forum. I would not have mentioned it either, unless in some positive way stating that they really stand by their work.

Good luck.

Jim
AndrewB likes this.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

"Done spending money on it" will take willpower that no human possesses.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good news -- the car is back and it looks fantastic. Time to get to work!