Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The ERA FIA setup attaches at the front to the collector and in front of the rear tire in one spot to the frame.

Jim
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Allen,

Thanks for the photo. The FIA side pipes are different setup, but correct me if I am wrong, a similar configuration with attachment to the header collector and one rubber isolated mount near the outlet, correct?
Right, what Jim said...only supported by the frame in one location as pictured. The other end is supported by the header/collector (slip fit). I am planning on changing the header connection from a slip joint to a ball and socket joint like the pieces JEGS offers: JEGS Ball & Socket Exhaust Pipe Connectors - JEGS

I must admit I assumed this wonderful idea from Wolf K. I plan on playing around with making a set of "competition" pipes over the winter and this ball/socket joint would make removal/installation and bind-free alignment a breeze. After taking my current pipes off a couple of times, I've found that I'm not a big fan of the slip-joint connection with the little welded on tabs and 1/4-20 through bolts that keep the slip joint secure.

- Allen.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Allen and/or Tim - do you get much leakage with the slip joint and no clamping? How much engagement is there?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

About 3" overlap at the joint? I can't remember for sure, but that's what I seem to remember. I haven't noticed much leakage. Of course, there's not much back pressure with glass packs as a restrictor
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I get leakage, and it is getting annoying. I really cooped in the copper gasket sealer, too. I opted for some stainless steel wrap straps and have cranked them down tight after hooping on the copper gasket on the slip fit.

I am going to copper gasket goop it one last time and clamp it with a standard U-bolt (stainless steel) to see if I can get it to seal.

If that fails,welding three-bolt heater flanges on with the standard exhaust donut, just like Mr. potatohead.

Speaking of... Anyone see Larry Davi around I his ERA?

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I used a "Turbo Flange" on my exhaust set up. It works very well and only has one nut to tighten down and it seals it up. This would work very well with different exhaust set up's too. Here is example of what I got for my car :3" V-Band Vband Clamp Flange Flanges Turbo Exhaust Stainless T70 T72 GT35 | eBay

I still used a little ultra exhaust sealer between but I really don't think it was necessary. I might have some pics but still don't know how to post them here! Regards, Matt
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Allen and/or Tim - do you get much leakage with the slip joint and no clamping? How much engagement is there?
Cheers,
Glen
Glen,

From what I can measure, there is about 1-3/4" engagement. Don't have everything assembled and running, so can speak to exhaust leakage. Some cars seem to have a bit, others are OK ... maybe a variation in tolerances?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the posts and info … keep 'em coming. Did some more mock up this evening, still working on the pipe from the collector to the muffler. Located the muffler in it's spot between the frame outriggers and used a 3/4" piece of foam on top of the muffler as a spacer.

Then cut the tail pipe where is fits onto the muffler and hung the pipe from the fender with blue tape. Let me know what you think … maybe move the tail pipe a bit closer to the front of the car and trim of about an inch or so from the end?

Looking at using a hole in the inner fender gusset, to attach a small triangulated support a bracket that will be isolated with rubber, bolt to the frame though an existing hole, then extend out over the tailpipe where it will be welded. Hopefully will be able to fabricate that within the next few days.

Here are some photos …

Muffler 'in place' with a 3/4" foam spacer

On the ground (well almost)

Muffler and pipes will be flat black when finished

Slightly different view
Old 10-19-2011, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Go look at the last page of the "289 ffr build" the green original car has a picture of an under car exhaust the opening of the pipe ines up with the line of the rear of the door opening
Old 10-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
Go look at the last page of the "289 ffr build" the green original car has a picture of an under car exhaust the opening of the pipe ines up with the line of the rear of the door opening

Kevin,

Thanks for the lead, found the thread and jmimac351's post ...

289 Body on FFR mkIV chassis

That sure looks like CSX 2472, the restored Dragon Snake that was at SAAC 35. I saw the same car at the De Anza College car show and took these photos. The 'exhaust' is just a straight pipe and when they fired up the car it sounded great and very loud!

Also have some photos I took at Laguna Seca of barn find CSX 2289.

Both give good examples of where to exit the pipes, and how long to have them stick out. It also looks like heat from the exhaust does not appear to be damaging the paint, no fiberglass to melt on these cars

===================

CSX 2472

The pipes on 2472 look like they have about a 45 degree turn out very similar to the ERA pipes

===================

CSX 2289

These pipes have a simple 90 degree turn out

===================

Have to say in looking at the two setups, I like the 45 degree look of the pipes on 2472 ... ERA chose wisely

Any more examples ?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim:

I think one thing we can learn from the pictures above is that these cars were all a little different in this department at any given time in their useful lifetimes. I would suggest you just do what you think looks "good" to your eye. For me, it would be something like this:

I would cut it per the red line visible in this quick drawing. Personally, I would think that as long as the pipe is cut flush with or a bit inboard of the rear wheel well contour line, you will be in a good place visually. Just my humble opinion.

- Allen.

Last edited by Fullchat289; 10-19-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Tim:

I think one thing we can learn from the pictures above is that these cars were all a little different in this department at any given time in their useful lifetimes. I would suggest you just do what you think looks "good" to your eye. For me, it would be something like this:

I would cut it per the red line visible in this quick drawing. Personally, I would think that as long as the pipe is cut flush with or a bit inboard of the rear wheel well contour line, you will be in a good place visually. Just my humble opinion.

- Allen.

Allen,

Nice drawing and nicely put. I think you are correct, when the pipe looks right ( to me ) I'll know it.

Plan to work on the car this weekend and will likely have the pipe end midway between the body line and the wheel well contour line, similar to your sketch but with the tip a bit shorter and with a square cut end, versus the angle cut.

Have always liked the square cut and not sure why, it's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem, Tim. I like the squared-off cut also. I'm sure it will look great in the end!

- Allen.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hi Tim. Just saw on the Mark Reid exhaust post, Allen's picture of the blue FIA with the white exhaust. Not suggesting the colour, but the bend coming out at around 10-15 degrees, so still underneath and safe enough, then a short bend at the end....looks OK. Not sure if it fits with your hanger though.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen,

Saw Allen's photo of the beautiful princess blue FIA ( nice color by the way ) with the white exhaust pipe that angles out, then the short bend. Looks like it could be a short glass pack under the car, or just a straight pipe for racing and it suits the car very well.

Either way your right that it won't work with the muffler / hanger setup that I have from ERA. The white wheels, roundels & exhaust make for a great look.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Thanks guys for the posts and info … keep 'em coming. Did some more mock up this evening, still working on the pipe from the collector to the muffler. Located the muffler in it's spot between the frame outriggers and used a 3/4" piece of foam on top of the muffler as a spacer.

Then cut the tail pipe where is fits onto the muffler and hung the pipe from the fender with blue tape. Let me know what you think … maybe move the tail pipe a bit closer to the front of the car and trim of about an inch or so from the end?

Looking at using a hole in the inner fender gusset, to attach a small triangulated support a bracket that will be isolated with rubber, bolt to the frame though an existing hole, then extend out over the tailpipe where it will be welded. Hopefully will be able to fabricate that within the next few days.

Here are some photos …

Muffler 'in place' with a 3/4" foam spacer

On the ground (well almost)

Muffler and pipes will be flat black when finished

Slightly different view
Looks pretty good, but I think that painters tape is only good to about 55 mph. If you want it to hold together, I think you need to use some 200 mph tape instead.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It took a while, but the exhaust system is done. We wound up shortening the collectors about 1 inch, which now has the head pipes parallel with the frame rails and there is a 3/4" gap between the top of the muffler and the bottom of the car. There is also room between the head pipe and the brake pedal box.

The bottom of the muffler is just about even with the bottom of the frame rail … just like Bob said it would be ...

I fired it up and it sounds great … the real test will be when I drive it. I took the entire system apart and it's at the coaters ( Accessories Plus in Belmont, CA. ) being ceramic coated satin black. More photos when I get the parts back.

In the mean time, trying to wrap things up to get the car on the road ...

Exhaust system is done !

Fabricated a hanger that bolts onto the frame near the rear suspension. The rubber sheeting makes for some compliance in the system, used existing holes to mount the hangers … did not want to drill into the frame if possible.

The 'kick out' angle in now 70 degrees. A bit more than the ERA bend, but less than a 90 degree turn.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Looks great! BUT, we need to see some rock chips in on those rear quarters!! It's tight under there isn't it!! Regards, Matt
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

That came out really well, the angle and placement and the square cut outlet. Very nicely done.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Tim,

What's the latest? Just in time to get that car on road for some prime time (freeze your axx off) NorCal weather!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it