Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

But the ARP's have a nice little indention in the front for a balancer puller end to sit down into. ;-)

Sure as the world, I'm going to say buy a new one, and some other guy will come in behind me and tell you not to waste his money. OR....I'll say reuse it and some guy will say, it's cheap insurance to spend the $20 on a new bolt.

I'll keep my mouth shut.....you're on your own kid.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Naah, I'm doing it by the book. New bolt and all. BTW, does that pulley look like the holes are wide enough for the Chevy pattern?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've never used an ATI on an FE, so I've never had to enlarge the holes. I use the P/P stuff on budget/mild street motors and Romacs for the heavy duty stuff.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But if I had to swear to you, I don't think I put down more than enough to break loose maybe a 50 ft/lb bolt, if that. But it's really hard to tell when you have that much leverage, so it could well have been in the 70-90 range.
With the plugs in the motor, it takes almost 90 on a 1/2" drive torque wrench to turn mine.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
If you have your heart set on an ATI, I can't help, but Keith or Barry can get those for you. I can do Romac or P/P.
Brent -- I've gotten half a dozen emails from people telling me Romac balancers are absolutely wonderful. What are my choices and what do you have in stock for me?

EDIT -- Am I reading that right that the all aluminum "Pro Series" Romac weighs but 3 lbs.? And the Performance Steel/Aluminum job is only 5 lbs? And if I want it to look exactly like my OEM, but in steel and aluminum, it's 9 lbs.?

SECOND EDIT -- in comparison, the ATI looks to be 7.4 lbs. and Innovators West is 7.8 lbs.

Last edited by patrickt; 06-13-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

An all aluminum damper is probably not the "ticket" - the aluminum hub is likely to just gall up in a street application. The steel repro Romac is very nice, but only has a TDC line - no degree markings - you will need a dial back timing light to use that one. The coolest ARP center bolt has a square drive indent that will accept a 1/2" breaker bar for turning the engine over.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I second the Romac balancer.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
I second the Romac balancer.
Well, I went with the aluminum/steel Romac Ford 427 SFI Production style damper p# 0250AS. I tried to buy it from Brent, but he was out of them and pointed me to Keith, who shipped it out today. One fact that I failed to mention is that I have a SCAT crank in there. I found one obscure reference on SCAT & Eagle cranks being .001 under spec, according to Romac. Are there any fitment issues that I should know about when I squeeze the Romac on to my SCAT crank?

EDIT -- here is that obscure reference: http://www.romac.com.au/Balancers_Fitting_Inst.pdf

Last edited by patrickt; 06-14-2010 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are there any fitment issues that I should know about when I squeeze the Romac on to my SCAT crank?
That sounds personal.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are there any fitment issues that I should know about when I squeeze the Romac on to my SCAT crank?
You won't know for sure unless you measure ID and OD as I said earlier. Don't need your Euclidean training either -just subtraction.

Barry may certainly be correct about aluminum but I haven't had the problem.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
You won't know for sure unless you measure ID and OD as I said earlier. Don't need your Euclidean training either -just subtraction.

Barry may certainly be correct about aluminum but I haven't had the problem.
FWIW, I read every single post on the www.fordfe.com forum on Romac balancers and there wasn't a single negative word to be found. That held true as well for some other forums. The only reference I found on the SCAT and Eagle cranks being .001 is in that document I posted. Nowhere else. Not on the ATI site, Fluid site, nowhere. Why would SCAT and Eagle make their snouts .001 under?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think you'll have any issues with it. I just installed one on a Scat crankshaft (albeit a forged SBF crank) Saturday and I had no issues. Just put a little neverseize on the ID of the balancer so it won't gall as it goes on.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't think you'll have any issues with it. I just installed one on a Scat crankshaft (albeit a forged SBF crank) Saturday and I had no issues. Just put a little neverseize on the ID of the balancer so it won't gall as it goes on.
Thanks. Are there timing marks on that one? Not a big deal if there isn't as I've got to double check TDC anyway and I could put a 35 btdc mark on it then.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, there is on this SBF one...

When you order your crank bolt, just order some MSD timing tape and you'll be all set and ready to go.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, there is on this SBF one...

When you order your crank bolt, just order some MSD timing tape and you'll be all set and ready to go.
Ordered that crank bolt last night. I'll just pick some timing tape up at Pep Boys. What's the diameter of that balancer? 7"?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't have the answer to that off the top of my head......
Old 06-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't have the answer to that off the top of my head......
That's ok, I bet you know the correct torque for my new ARP crank bolt though off the top of your head....
Old 06-14-2010, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Use the ARP number for their bolt size and they may recommend their lube-not Loctite.

Also, you may have some trouble finding the correct tape size. On my old balancer I found that 7 1/4" was not always 7 1/4" on the tape marked 7 1/4". I bought several tape sizes and measured the circumference of the balancer and the length of the tape to get close.

Hope your Romac has at least 0 -40 degrees etched in-much better than tape. The IW and the ATI are marked completely. Still-check TDC.

Last edited by ERA Chas; 06-14-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Use the ARP number for their bolt size and they may recommend their lube-not Loctite.
I just spent about 20 minutes on their web site and couldn't find it.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just edited that post-look again. Mine was 115 lbft.