Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #294 , Center Oiler FE
Not Ranked     
Default 427 FE question

I’m purchasing a Cobra that has a 427 installed. These are the build specs from the mid 90s. Cobra has under 8k miles. 427 high rise block ( side bolts , pressed in freeze plugs ), High rise heads,7 angle valve job,dual plane high rise manifold with 850 double pumper annular carb. Cloyes roller chain , Crower chromoly pushrods and solid lifters , comp cams roller rockers , performance camshaft (make unknown), Arias custom 427 pistons with 10.4 compression and 4.25 bore. Also has lemans rods & ARP bolts with 428 crank externally balanced. Clevite bearings with ferret comp stainless valves , isky valve springs , Manly spring retainers and locks , Aviad road race baffled oil pan, with McLeod aluminum flywheel and Hayes 11 inch clutch and pressure plate. - my question is should the lack of screw in plugs be an issue ? Could it be a service or truck block ? Could it be a center oilers drilled for side bolts ? I’m going to take a ‘flyer ‘ on the car and sell my Unique. Any ideas about the motor. Thanks and SORRY FOR THE LONG POST !
Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer5 View Post
I’m purchasing a Cobra that has a 427 installed. These are the build specs from the mid 90s. Cobra has under 8k miles. 427 high rise block ( side bolts , pressed in freeze plugs ), High rise heads,7 angle valve job,dual plane high rise manifold with 850 double pumper annular carb. Cloyes roller chain , Crower chromoly pushrods and solid lifters , comp cams roller rockers , performance camshaft (make unknown), Arias custom 427 pistons with 10.4 compression and 4.25 bore. Also has lemans rods & ARP bolts with 428 crank externally balanced. Clevite bearings with ferret comp stainless valves , isky valve springs , Manly spring retainers and locks , Aviad road race baffled oil pan, with McLeod aluminum flywheel and Hayes 11 inch clutch and pressure plate. - my question is should the lack of screw in plugs be an issue ? Could it be a service or truck block ? Could it be a center oilers drilled for side bolts ? I’m going to take a ‘flyer ‘ on the car and sell my Unique. Any ideas about the motor. Thanks and SORRY FOR THE LONG POST !
Paul:

I don't know about the press in freeze plugs versus screw in. I do know the way you tell if an FE is a side oiler is that there will be a pipe plug on the front of the block, above the oil pan and outside the timing cover. It will be on the driver side, the side where the block oil filter goes. If it does not have this pipe plug, it is a top oiler or center oiler. Hope this helps.
sracer5 likes this.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a center oiler. Is there a cast in galley tunnel running along the driver side of the block front to rear? That's the side oiler passage way. The pipe plug Rockbit mentions is probably to block the front of that gun drilled passage. Getting the casting numbers off of the block will also tell. Possibly an industrial engine block didn't get screw in freeze plugs.

It also could be a 390/428 block drilled for side bolt caps/spacers - but the 4.25 inch bore would seem to point to a 427 block. It would take a .120 overbore to get a 428 block that big which is unlikely.

Don't think there is such a thing as a high rise block, although there were certain blocks used to assemble factory high rise engines.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

some of the early blocks did have press in freeze plugs.
any casting numbers on the block? casting numbers from the heads?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I don't know if this chart will help, but it did determine what block was in my car. http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/engine/partnums.htm
Old 02-16-2018, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #448, 1964-427
Not Ranked     

Greetings All, RockBit is correct. If memory serves me, all 427 FE blocks casted before 1965 we all top oilers. The reason for the sideoiling conversion was to protect the engines from oil starvation during racing and hard cornering paticularly NASCAR racing. If your block has pressed-in freeze plugs, most likely it was casted before '65 and a top oiler. You should be able to find the casting date code on the block where the oil pan bolts to the block (sorry, can't remember exact location) My 427FE has freeze plugs and casted in November 1963, therefore a top oiler Also, the Ford FE Forum is a wealth of information and can decipher all casting markings for you.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
7 angle seats,, annular 850, , I'd like to know what camshaft.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Paul told me last week he was buying this car and was picking it up yesterday. It is an early ERA and is well equipped. He got a screaming deal on it. We will be learning more about the car soon.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, please fill us in on your new purchase when you have chance. Always interested in other ERA's.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Car Purchase

Couldn’t finalize purchase over the weekend. Picking it up Wednesday. Did find out the engine builder was Fodge & Peck (Imagine) Motorsports in Rancho Cordova California in 1993/94 Will post more as soon as I can.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just reading again.

7 angle seats with a dual plane intake?

Disappointed he can't give you the camshaft details, other than it is a solid flat tappet.

I don't know the guy, I don't care what any "spec sheet" says, I would actually rather see the engine in pieces.

Saves me pulling it apart, which I would eventually do anyhow.

Gary
Old 02-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I would certainly check the casting numbers on the block if I could not measure the bore and stroke of the motor. Without the screw in plugs, it's difficult to tell FE motors apart unless you are really up on the differences. People say lots of things. Not trying to imply that anyone is being untruthful, but it's better safe than sorry. Maybe that's just me cynical nature showing through..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Engine #s

Was able to finish the deal on the car today ! I’m the new owner of ERA 294. Not going to pull the engine apart to check the cam , but I did get some numbers off the block and heads.

Block codes - C4AE
6015 A
Has cross bolts - press in freeze plugs - 427 top Oiler ?

Head codes - C4AE F10
High riser heads - both sides same codes
Will post more tomorrow- looks like 1964 motor / will check date codes.
maurice19 likes this.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Was able to finish the deal on the car today ! I’m the new owner of ERA 294. Not going to pull the engine apart to check the cam , but I did get some numbers off the block and heads.

Block codes - C4AE
6015 A
Has cross bolts - press in freeze plugs - 427 top Oiler ?

Head codes - C4AE F10
High riser heads - both sides same codes
Will post more tomorrow- looks like 1964 motor / will check date codes.
Congrats! You'll love it!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome,I own ERA 295 !
sracer5 likes this.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Era #294

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/grou...8-era-294.html
Old 02-28-2018, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Looks nice. The red will make it stand out in a crowd; although it also makes it stand out a little more with those people who hide on the side of the road and monitor speed . Enjoy!
sracer5 likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! Is this the car that was for sale in FL?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sracer5, Congrats on your ERA. You'll love that car. You may want to contact Peter at ERA, he would probably have the build sheets on the car on file. I did that for mine, Peter has been a wealth of information. Thru the build sheets I found the original owner and met a few times with him and the engine builder who had all the engine specs, I have a copy of his engine build sheet. Best of luck, enjoy the thrill.....Art Fink
Old 02-28-2018, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Era 294

This car was advertised in North Texas. I’ve sent
Peter a couple of Emails in the last week , but haven’t heard back. I did talk to him briefly on the phone. I sent him my contact information to update his records.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: