Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Not that I know of Patrick. I really don't even think there's any difference between the steel wheels. The cheap ones just come in uglier boxes.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Have any of you used the "Fidanza" flywheel ?
Many of the tuner people are using it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

See post #2 of this thread.
I'm using one, as well as a couple others I know. One of which does a lot of drag racing.
I havn't driven it that much yet, but no problems so far.
Had my machine shop check and match the balance to my old flywheel which was "0" balanced and it was perfect.
Once mounted I checked run-out and that was .006" total. Max allowable by the books is .017"
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Sorry,..... I did not see your post, now I do.
Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

This one is a much better deal. They are on Ebay all the time for this price and are just as good as the expensive ones and I believe a little lighter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDAN...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrarkc View Post
This one is a much better deal. They are on Ebay all the time for this price and are just as good as the expensive ones and I believe a little lighter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIDAN...spagenameZWDVW
Fidanza and Ebay are for those with most brains of all. All I did was pi$$ money away on the CF flywheel....
Old 04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Ask about weight, not material

The question you should be asking is "how heavy is your flywheel?" when comparing them versus each other. They are not all the same weight. There are lightweight steel flywheels that approach the weight of an aluminum one. Single disc, multi-disc, etc. Ask about the weight.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Another Question to Ask

My overpriced CF flywheel touts itself as having "a replaceable steel friction surface that has been heat-treated for abrasion resistance and long life." Not that I need it yet, but neither their web site nor their new, and lengthy, 2009 catalog lists that part. I have a feeling that the cost of that part is greater than a new Fidanza flywheel....
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you need to try one of the McLeod RST twin disc setups Patrick....

You'd be a good guinea pig. $685 and it's all yours.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I think you need to try one of the McLeod RST twin disc setups Patrick....

You'd be a good guinea pig. $685 and it's all yours.
Hmmm, tempting. Truth be told, there's a lot of overkill on the clutches around here. As easy as these cars spin their wheels, you don't really need all that much of a clutch -- and now that I think about it a lot of those race-only type clutches give you a good bit of chatter on the street with gentle stoplight take offs. You don't hear that mentioned all that often, though.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd rather have too much clutch than not enough though....just in case you decide to go to the strip and run drag radials.

A lot of my customers are the "....I have 600 horsepower and I want a clutch that will hold it, but I want it to drive like a Honda...."

It's very challenging for me to pick the right combination of pressure plate and clutch disc. I never order "clutch kits" but always hand pick each component.

If you pay attention to the disc material, you can minimize chatter. The organic clutches will be pretty docile. The Kevlar discs will probably chatter when they get hot. The aluminum or bronze pad discs might chatter, but there's a less chance than with the Kevlar.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
When I attached the aluminum flywheel I did not want the heads of the bolts (ARP) baring down on the bare aluminum. I obtained the metal ring that is used with a flexplate in and Automatic trans application, it's a pretty common piece. It has the 6 holes in a ring the diameter of the crank flange, and distributes the clamping force a little more evenly IMO. It is made of a semi hardened material. Red Loctite all the way. No regrets.

Ronbo...The Green Loctite is for small diameter fasteners to be "Wicked" into the threads after assembly. It's not a high strength thread locker.
Yep, medium high. The green settels better in fine thread bolts than blue or red, there's also a loctite green bearing set. There's also a loctite yellow which you use if you never want to remove the bolt. Back in Cleveland a machinist friend of mine was also a rep for loctite he was the one who I found out about the yellow stuff from. I'm not sure where you'd get it as I've never seen anyone selling the yellow. (not that I'd ever use it)

Let's see if this works... http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...on%3Dsearch%7C

Last edited by Ronbo; 04-15-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
...the yellow stuff from. I'm not sure where you'd get it as I've never seen anyone selling the yellow. (not that I'd ever use it)
Now I have heard of yellow Loctite. The auto threads on it all say it's a real bitc* to remove, but the literature says it's only medium strength. Speaking of literature, here is a list of most of the Loctite products, their color, and how to loosen them if you have to. Uhhh, for instance, say you got confused and put Loctite 262 on your spinners....
http://www.type2.com/library/chemicals/loctite.htm
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Yellow Loctite

Here's a guy over on the pelicanparts forum fighting the yellow Loctite.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=406038

Old 04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The stuff he had was more of an amber-ish color. Looked like honey.

The removal process was high heat and impact tools. (not or like red)

Probably some stuff NASA needed...

Lot of people think you need the high strength stuff, but lack of prep is the big problem with loctite not holding.

Last edited by Ronbo; 04-15-2009 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: afterthought..
Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, for instance, say you got confused and put Loctite 262 on your spinners....http://www.type2.com/library/chemicals/loctite.htm
But that would save on wire.

I have some of the yellow stuff, it was given to me by a NASA engineer here in Houston. It is waaaaaay beyond "medium." Let's just say we have bicycles and skateboards with bolts and nuts a mushroom cloud can't loosen. I would NOT put it on anything I ever wanted to get apart.

Last edited by elmariachi; 04-15-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also forgot to mention, if it's an coated bolt buff the threads with a wire wheel so the threads are bare metal. Loctite loses some bond strength against the usual bolt coatings like black oxide and zinc.

You know it's funny my experiance with the yellow stuff was almost 20 years ago. Strange how some things just stick with you.