Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 1965 West Coast Cobra 351 Windsor 400 HP
Default Sold Cobra, saving for GT40

After 10 years of tire burning, alarm activating, exhaust inhaling, head turning, rain avoiding and mind blowing, I sold my baby and I'm saving for a GT40 rep.
I don't want to worry bout the weather when I take my exotic out and the time is now. I put less than 500 miles/year on my Cobra and I need more!
I was in a depression for about a month after I sold the Cobra, but I'm excited about a 40 in my life.
As my wife and I discussed it, it is already more "practical" than a Cobra - the clamshell front and back allows for more access to the components and drivetrain, rain is not an issue for car show days and expensive dinner nights, and we might even tour the thing over the weekend with other car nuts knowing we can lock it up and/or it'll stay dry.
The wife knows the history and likes how it looks so she's in.
Other than the price, condition and service records, the only thing that we are concerned about is the racing stripe. We may have to repaint if it has one. It's not a deal breaker, but the stripe has got to go. A beautiful woman does not need makeup.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: Backdraft Racing

A 40 is nowhere near as practical or useable as a Cobra. It's a thrilling car to own but it will never get the use a Cobra will if parked in the same garage. And from my experience a competent 40 replica is 100k all in. Anything else is a compromise or creative accounting on the true cost.

Grass is always greener...
Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins

Sounds like a intriguing up grade & since both are up for it. Full speed ahead!! As with any quality ride; I might suggest getting a top grade alarm/tracking system also.
Good Luck!
PS I was @ ERA not long ago & the 40's they make are super cool !
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Smile

I have both

I bought the GT 40 last year and have been working on it to make it road worthy. It's not on the road, But here are my thoughts:

It will be hard to do a lot of traveling in a GT 40. Maybe short or weekend trips. It sits so low and it's hard to see out the back. Maybe a camera would solve that problem.
I have driven my Cobra to London Ohio for the last 9 years. That's a 535 mile one way trip. I have room in the trunk, behind the seats and passenger side for stuff.
The GT 40?? I may be able to store a small bag in the front area of the passenger side footbox. I plan on fabricating an aluminum storage box to place in the front where the spare tire should be. We'll see.
It's hard to get in and out of a 40. I'm 5' 10" at 170 lbs and I have to go slow to get in and out. Several of my buddies have come over and try the 40 on for size. Most have a lot of trouble getting in and out. Some times it very funny watching them.
I suggest you sit in a 40 or have someone to take you for a ride in one. I love both but the Cobra is more of a road car. Of course a hard top for the Cobra would make it a better road car.

I would love to do the Hot Rod Power Tour in my GT 40 this year! We will have to wait and see.
Go to the GT 40 forum and do your research: GT40s.com - Powered by vBulletin
Dwight
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286

Interesting perspectives here.... I loved my Cobra and did quite a few miles with it. But my heart was set on a GT40. I was very fortunate to be able to finally make a trade and now have a wonderful Gulf CAV in the garage. I have no problem declaring that it has been a good choice and indeed satisfied my proverbial itch. The 40 is a very different beast, but bought right can be comfortable, easy to drive and has proved to be more of an attention magnet than my Cobra ever was. I have done a couple longer runs in the GT and found it to be much more comfortable and easier to drive longer distances than the old 427. Best yet is that it burns any fuel I put in it. I think it all comes down to your personal likes and where your passion is. Even my wonderful wife who was very sceptical and loved the Cobra has become quite accustomed to keeping her hair intact and the joys of a/c on a hot summer day and she still gets a kick out of the one car shows at the local Starbucks every Sat afternoon!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I also own both

Simply put I drove the GT once last year and the cobra 50 times , you be the judge
Old 01-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
A 40 is nowhere near as practical or useable as a Cobra. It's a thrilling car to own but it will never get the use a Cobra will if parked in the same garage. And from my experience a competent 40 replica is 100k all in. Anything else is a compromise or creative accounting on the true cost.

Grass is always greener...
I would disagree. They are different cars for different uses. I have people who are driving the heck out of their GT40s. And "Cobra" owners who don't drive theirs much.

Of course we still sell GT40s where BDR doesn't anymore, but that couldn't be a factor now could it?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
I would disagree. They are different cars for different uses. I have people who are driving the heck out of their GT40s. And "Cobra" owners who don't drive theirs much.

Of course we still sell GT40s where BDR doesn't anymore, but that couldn't be a factor now could it?
Do you sell Cobras though?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Do you sell Cobras though?
Why yes, we do sell a licensed "Cobra" replica. And the only licensed "GT40".

But perhaps I did not parse my reply well, it was not meant to be a "dis" on anyone.

And the offer of a beer at Carlisle is still on the table Jay.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery

No need. There's only 1 "Cobra" builder and they are out of biz. The rest of us build replicas and they are all replicas done to a different degree.

As for GTs there are 2 quality replica examples and you have one and the other is built very near to us.

All that aside there is no way on a sunny day and 70 degrees you can deny a Cobra is not easier to drive, more comfortable in and out, and finally a better value for $$$ than a GT40 replica.

These are all sunny day toys... I'd argue he simply needs a better Cobra.

I'm biased... F me

Last edited by Cashburn; 01-21-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Smile Driving Route 66 In a GT-40

Driving Route 66 In a GT40 - Kit Car Magazine

enjoy
Dwight
Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch

interesting comments on the gt40.
i was thinking of maybe building one in the future, something with a twin turbo 6-cylinder or such.

my cobra is only 1 year old - i could not foresee parting with it! best.car.ever!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine

I've also had both and I agree with Jay.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine

Quote:

As for GTs there are 2 quality replica examples and you have one and the other is built very near to us.
I didn't realize they made Roaring Forties GT40s out your way
You'd do well to look them up.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I didn't realize they made Roaring Forties GT40s out your way
You'd do well to look them up.
Sorry, it's a big investment and an order takes longer to build then those other companies can stay in business and/or good standing. I'd never suggest one in kit form due to complexity and number of parts subject to outrageous back orders.

My opinion only from watching that market closely for 5 years.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am in the same boat, have had cobras for 6 years now. Thought GT40 was the next step but others have said what Jay indicates. I suggest you test drive one, I have not. The GT40 look smoking hot. Maybe what we need is a waterproof Cobra, I dont need ac but get tired of watching the sky. By dry I mean an protected engine compartment, some way to close scoop, and a very easy top to install and remove without scratching the car. Guess I am getting old.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

A SPF GT40 will run you north of $120K to put in a good power train. One was at Barrett Jackson last week for $132K (which would be $120K plus the 10% fee)

1966 SHELBY Lot 1245.4 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

Ignore the Shelby stuff, it's a SPF car. I sincerely doubt the Shelby tagging added any value. I do like the Tungsten gray/silver color. It was my first choice for the FGT but the Heritage was the zero'th choice that I thought would never happen but did.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Default cobra hard top?

I see Mr. Bruce has a few hard top styles for Ac's. Looks like they would make a long trip in a roadster much more comfortable. Look cool too
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker

Modifying a Cobra to make it more like a sedan is to me kinda like bolting training wheels on a motorcycle to keep the darn thing from wanting to fall over all the time. Sell it and buy something else that suits you better! (Corvette?)

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40

I have just over 82k on my RFGT40 . If I have learned anything about this car it's the long distance comfort it has. To me it's like driving a lazy boy lounger. You guys worry to much about visibility. I see fine out the mirrors and the rear window. The luggage space is minimal but as you saw, Bernie and I were able to carry all we needed for a two week journey.
I still have my 26yr old cobra. I still drive it and I enjoy it very much. It's a different animal. It's more demanding on the track and
more tiring on long trips to me. The GT is a lot more civilized on and off the track. If you get a GT you will learn quickly after a good trip how cool they, after all it is called a touring class vehicle.

Hersh

Last edited by BT SNAKE; 01-22-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: