Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree210Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I have never understood why threads get locked (not picking on this forum).
Threads used to get closed when the prejudicial impact of the posts outweighed the probative value of the information. That, at least, was the test in the ol' days....
Old 12-06-2019, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Threads used to get closed when the prejudicial impact of the posts outweighed the probative value of the information. That, at least, was the test in the ol' days....
Are you a lawyer?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Here’s a question I get asked a lot. And usually it’s from a guy that pulls up next to me at a traffic light. “Hey, what year is that?”
So how do you truthfully answer that question in fifteen seconds while idling Loudly next to another vehicle?
I don’t have the time at the light to explain that my car was built in 2009 to replicate a 1965 vehicle while my car is exploding out of the sidepipe right next to his ear.
So, I lie and say “1965” just to avoid a shouting match. Just seems simpler.
My bad.
BigGuy likes this.

Last edited by jhv48; 12-06-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
your "witty comeback" is not witty, its annoying and stupid. I'm done wasting my bandwidth debating this topic with someone who likes to see himself be a TROLL. Im done. And we dont care what you think, its obvious with all the replys here, go ahead a re-read your 65 page post.. have fun.
Does Evan have a son?
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Here’s a question I get asked a lot. And usually it’s from a guy that pulls up next to me at a traffic light. “Hey, what year is that?”
So how do you truthfully answer that question in fifteen seconds while idling Loudly next to another vehicle?
I don’t have the time at the light to explain that my car was built in 2009 to replicate a 1965 vehicle while my car is exploding out of the sidepipe right next to his ear.
My bad.
I answer "It's a 6 year old replica of a 1966 Shelby Cobra". Short enough to shout to someone who asks that question. And, you're right, it gets asked a lot.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Does Evan have a son?
I don't mind having an intelligent conversation with some one, but when some one says" a Shelby is a replica of a Shelby" that's just plain stupid.

I have said many times in this thread, I have much respect for the top shelf replicas, I owned one for 17 years and loved it. Peter P and David Kirkham are the best as it gets as representatives in the hobby that we all love here.

If it has a CSX Vin# made by HST/Hi-tech, its a Shelby. FACT. is it original? NO. it is a continuation of the Shelby from the 60's FACT.

Are they better? that's a complete different topic
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
My bad.
You answered correctly because that is the question he asked. It happened alot at gas stations. Imagine if he'd asked an you said 2009 and he called Hillbank and said "I want one of those 2009 Cobra cars". If they probe deeper about its origin and lineage and who built it and when and most of the time they get the doe-in-the-headlights look since they didn't really ask a question that required a PhD dissertation.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Hi-Tech builds the cars by contractual arrangement and ships them to Shelby for finishing, branding and selling. Essentially the same as the relationship Shelby had with AC in the 60's.
Having said that though, when the hoi polloi yell "Is it real?", 100% of them are asking if its an original from the sixties that's worth a small fortune.
So unless you're actually driving one of those, the only correct answer is "No."

EDIT: I suppose if you're driving a modern day Shelby Cobra, and you're in a conversational mood - you could say yes, but it's not an original from the sixties. Problem with that is, half the time they'll mutter "kit car" in a derogatory tone and walk away disgusted.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 12-06-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12-06-2019, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Didn't Shelby buy original Cobra's as "rollers" in the 60's from AC in England ? Winter is here !
moore_rb and t walgamuth like this.

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 12-06-2019, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
Didn't Shelby buy original Cobra's as "rollers" in the 60's from AC in England ? Winter is here !
And we’re off to another 10 pages of discussion.
At least the discussion is being kept civil.
Not like a couple of years ago.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
does evan have a son?
:lol::lol::lol:

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-06-2019, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Hi-Tech builds the cars by contractual arrangement and ships them to Shelby for finishing, branding and selling. Essentially the same as the relationship Shelby had with AC in the 60's.
Having said that though, when the hoi polloi yell "Is it real?", 100% of them are asking if its an original from the sixties that's worth a small fortune.
So unless you're actually driving one of those, the only correct answer is "No."

EDIT: I suppose if you're driving a modern day Shelby Cobra, and you're in a conversational mood - you could say yes, but it's not an original from the sixties. Problem with that is, half the time they'll mutter "kit car" in a derogatory tone and walk away disgusted.
When people ask "is it real"? When I owned my ERA i said" its a real ERA" with a confused look they say OK.

Now when asked "is it real"? I say its a real Shelby, most people have no clue on the history of these cars and most do not know the difference between a cheap kit car vs. a top shelf replica. If Im in a chat mood Ill chat about it, otherwise "yes its a real ERA" or "yes its a real Shelby"
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the problem in this discussion is, that neither the originals owners nor the replica or Kirkham
owners like the fact that CSX 4000-8000 are real Shelby Cobras.

so if there would be a survey, 98% would deny it....
ERA 626 and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
I, for one, try and deny anything I don't like.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
the problem in this discussion is, that neither the originals owners nor the replica or Kirkham
owners like the fact that CSX 4000-8000 are real Shelby Cobras.

The original owners I talked with didn't care. They knew my car was made by Shelby, but also knew it would do nothing to diminsh the value of their original.

Kirkham owners tend to say "your aluminum Shelby is just a Kirkham". That used to not be true - they were made differently just like HiTech's Shelbys are different from the Superformance versions, but now the aluminum Shelby's just are Kirkhams with Shelby badges applied. Oh, and for the most part, painted as they should be.
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The original owners I talked with didn't care. They knew my car was made by Shelby, but also knew it would do nothing to diminsh the value of their original.

Kirkham owners tend to say "your aluminum Shelby is just a Kirkham". That used to not be true - they were made differently just like HiTech's Shelbys are different from the Superformance versions, but now the aluminum Shelby's just are Kirkhams with Shelby badges applied. Oh, and for the most part, painted as they should be.
That is well said... spot on.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And we’re off to another 10 pages of discussion.
It's only thing keeping this site alive
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

What do you say when some idiot comes up and asks "what year Corvette is that" (and yes, some idiot DID ask me that)?
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
That is my understanding.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB60 View Post
What do you say when some idiot comes up and asks "what year Corvette is that" (and yes, some idiot DID ask me that)?
One fella down here used to yell "Aston Martin" every time I drove by in the Cobra!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...