Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Kirkham Motorsports

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Default Announcing New Kirkham Billet Aluminum 427 Block

Fellow Car Nuts:

I am VERY, VERY happy to announce the new Kirkham Billet Aluminum 427 engine block. I have wanted to do this for years and we finally had the
opportunity to make one of my dreams come true.

EDIT:
Gents: Today 27 Feb 07 I am going to make some corrections on the weights of the blocks. I just called Keith Craft and convinced him to get out his scales. Many, many thanks to Keith Craft for taking time out of his day to do this for all of us! I know it was a pain and I thank him very much. (Love his motors too, by the way!)

ALL BLOCKS WERE MEASURED WITH THE MAIN CAPS ON.

Weighed by Kirkham on our digital scales. 351 Dart, aluminum 100.8 pounds (10 January 2007)

An original 427 cast iron block, top oiler (with caps) weighs about 190 pounds. CORRECTION: (204 lbs from Keith Craft)

A cast aluminum Shelby 427 block (with caps) weighs about 150 pounds. (I am giving you that number from memory. I will get the exact weight as soon as I can dig it out of our records). CORRECTION, 133 lbs from Keith Craft).

A cast aluminum Dart 351 small block weighs 100.8 pounds.

The new Kirkham 427 Billet Aluminum block (with the girdle/caps) weighs 79 pounds!

We did extensive engineering and design work to take out all of the excess weight we could find. If you look closely at the intake galley, you can see we even surface machined the lifter area to take out all of the weight possible.

The picture you see is of a wooden block that was used to prove the CNC tool paths and tool clearances. We have a 2nd wooden block we are finishing right now in the machine. Our first ALUMINUM block should be done this week. We will assemble and run the block to make sure everything works. We should be in production in 4-6 weeks. We had special FORGED billets of aluminum made for the starting blanks.

Tech Facts

FORGED billet aluminum

weight 79 pounds

water cooled

4.25 inch, Nikisil lined bores

1 piece bottom girdle (like current F1 engines--all of the main caps are milled from 1 solid piece of aluminum for rigidity.

Will take standard heads, bell housing, intake manifold.

Anticipated price $4,995 (actual final pricing will be determined when we see how many actual hours of spindle time it takes to make the block).

Here is the block we have all been waiting for! Finally, big block acceleration with BETTER than small block handling. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

David

Added Later:

Here is a link to more pictures. I have LOTS of pictures and I will be posting them with comments on the ENTIRE process. How we did it, what we were thinking, how we solved problems, etc.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/billet427block/

I have posted this in my first post as well so people who are just now coming to the post can see some more pics and follow along.

David

More pictures:

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/mfg/block_index.html

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 02-27-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-19-2007, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

So David, when can I expect Alpha 3 to arrive at my doorstep?

I have some questions....

Most aftermarket blocks have cross ribs in the valley area to add strength to the squareness of the block. Your picture shows the opposite... it seems that you have taken out a lot of material from around the upper cylinder area. Don't you feel this design will be weaker than other blocks, as well as not cool as well by not having the upper water jackets?

What's the oiling setup? Side oiler? Top oiler? Something in between like the Shelby block?

Will the outside of the block have OEM shape? Would it look like a stock Ford block if painted?

Looks like a nice piece, I can't wait to see a finished block!!

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

From what is shown I would guess it it to be a side oiler since there is no center passage in the pattern.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Sal,

I believe the ribs in the valley are moon glow--so do all of the engine builders I have spoken to. The Merlin didn't have them in WWII. F1 blocks don't have them either--if anyone needs strength it is the F1 guys. Do you know of ANY modern production V8s that have them? I just checked our Copper 40 GT we made and it doesn't have them. As you know, people are now putting over 700 hp to the rear wheels in their Ford GT's with the new blowers.

If you look carefully, you can see the upper water jackets are there. This site doesn't let me post pictures of very large size, so I will probably post them on our website so you can see the block at all angles. The water jackets will have bolt on covers--like many engines of today and yesterday.

The oiling set up is like a modern block. The oil galley runs down the center of the block but oils the mains first--then the cam.

The outside of the block will look like an FE in that all of the FE stuff will bolt on to it. The block will be split at the main girdle, however; so, if you look closely you will see that. You have to be pretty far into an engine compartment to see that however.

David
Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

WDZ,

The main oil galley runs below the lifters on one side. You can't see if from this angle. I am trying to put up a webpage with pictures of the block on it so people can see it.

The oiling action in the block is like a side-oiler, but the position of the galley is like a top oiler. It is the best of both worlds.

David
Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Early 427 car
Not Ranked     
Default Weight Removal

David - Just curious whether you modeled the block with FEM to "whittle" it down?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Thanks David, It looks great...Have you set a price for it yet??? Should I just say OUCH now?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham 427 stroker
Not Ranked     

david how fast do you feally gotta go the car is already a jet and hard not to smoke tires even at 80
Old 02-19-2007, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

I'll take that wood block when you are done with it. Would make a GREAT addition to my den.
That is a great weight reduction on the aluminum block and the oiling system sounds right on track.
Will be keeping an eye on this when it is time to upgrade from my 390.
Dave
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Byots,

We have not done any FEA till now, but we are going to do it soon. There are so many variables that had to be solved (water jackets, tooling) that we had to make the block manufacturable before we could go into the nitty gritty of weight removal.

WDZ,

As I said above, the anticipated price is $4,995. (I know it is easy to miss little things). We will make SURE the block is competitively priced. We always try to deliver more for less.

David
Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Wizard Man,

If you don't want to go that fast, just don't push the gas pedal down too far

I know that is hard to do--at least for me. Actually, I have had all I can take of linear acceleration...I am now into lateral acceleration. No one can deny the lighter cars handle better. We just wanted the best of BOTH worlds.

Elgecko,

The wooden block already graces our front entrance! I will post progress pics of this as we go on.

David
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham
Sal,

I believe the ribs in the valley are moon glow--so do all of the engine builders I have spoken to. The Merlin didn't have them in WWII. F1 blocks don't have them either--if anyone needs strength it is the F1 guys. Do you know of ANY modern production V8s that have them? I just checked our Copper 40 GT we made and it doesn't have them. As you know, people are now putting over 700 hp to the rear wheels in their Ford GT's with the new blowers.

If you look carefully, you can see the upper water jackets are there. This site doesn't let me post pictures of very large size, so I will probably post them on our website so you can see the block at all angles. The water jackets will have bolt on covers--like many engines of today and yesterday.

The oiling set up is like a modern block. The oil galley runs down the center of the block but oils the mains first--then the cam.

The outside of the block will look like an FE in that all of the FE stuff will bolt on to it. The block will be split at the main girdle, however; so, if you look closely you will see that. You have to be pretty far into an engine compartment to see that however.

David
Well, production blocks aren't usually designed for the power that aftermarket blocks are, so no reason to add them in really. I would not say they the ribs are "moon-glo" (is that like snake oil??), I am sure they do more being there than not being there. Any extra rigidity in the cylinder wall area is good to have, but I agree with you, not REALLY needed.

I see the bolt on setup for the water jacket covers now. Pretty slick!! It's exciting to see you guys doing your own block, as you always seem to think outside the box with design.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Here is a link to more pictures. I have LOTS of pictures and I will be posting them with comments on the ENTIRE process. How we did it, what we were thinking, how we solved problems, etc.

I have posted this in my first post as well so people who are just now coming to the post can see some more pics and follow along.

David
Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

David
That wood is givin me wood.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Sal,

Thanks for you kind words!

When I looked at the Ford 5.4 (without ribs) and saw people getting over 700 at the REAR WHEELS in their new GT's, I decided the ribs were moon glow--(more useful for selling engines than running them). At that kind of power you simply can't use it any more. I think the original 427's are slow so that gives you my perspective. I think the new 482's are mind blowing...PERFECT!

Now, (just a thought experiment) if we left the block solid in the lifter valley then it would certainly be stiffer...but at what cost? Weight. Weight is the enemy. 800hp is way more than I ever plan to put in one of our cars. As is, we have a power to weight ratio 30% greater than a Ferrari Enzo. We are rapidly approaching F1 power to weight ratios. After having driven many, many, many miles in both 289's and 427's I realized I loved the power of the 427 and the handling of the 289. Now we can have both.

David
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sal,

Thanks for you kind words!

When I looked at the Ford 5.4 (without ribs) and saw people getting over 700 at the REAR WHEELS in their new GT's, I decided the ribs were moon glow--(more useful for selling engines than running them). At that kind of power you simply can't use it any more. I think the original 427's are slow so that gives you my perspective. I think the new 482's are mind blowing...PERFECT!
The stock modular block is killer. And of course you know that 5.4s are my forte. My Lightning had over 800rwhp (about 970 flywheel) on a production 5.4 iron block. Some of the NMRA racers have made over 1500 hp on stock blocks (and stock forged cranks!!). I have Ford GT customers making 1100 rwhp on STOCK engines, not even a valve cover off. Of course, the GT motor is quite a bit more exotic than a regular 5.4, but it's the same design block.

The mod motor is very stiff because of the internal cross bolted mains. The irony there is that it's literally a modern version of a 427 block.

Also, there have been quite a few revisions to the iron 5.4 block. The latest NVH block has much thicker side walls and heavy ribs down the valley area.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I have hardwood (maple) cranks available to go with Kirkham's wood blocks. Suggest bear grease for bearing lubrication.

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-19-2007, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks Incredible !! Could this be A Racers Dream ! Could you tell me more about the Nickisil Lined Bores ? Are they renewable ? What kind of max comp ratio and HP limits do you predict ?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,

Looks outstanding. What's the maximum bore and stroke it can have?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Early 427 car
Not Ranked     
Default Structural Adequacy

David - Does your 79 lb number include the caps and the covers on the sides of the lifter galley? I seem to remember the Shelby aluminum block is about 130 lbs with caps, because the original Ford aluminum 390/427 blocks are 110-113 lbs with caps and I recall the Shelby block has about 20 lbs more beef. The original aluminum blocks were cast for the most part from regular cast iron block patterns, except the 427 version had much thicker cylinder walls, and I really can't think of areas where material could be removed and still feel comfortable with it at 600hp levels for extended periods.

Edit: I just looked through your pictures posted on the Kirkham website and it looks like the major areas of weight savings are the sculpted front and rear faces and removal of the external water jacket surfaces, so it makes sense now.

Last edited by Byots; 02-19-2007 at 06:23 PM..
Closed Thread