Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Keith Vincent
Not Ranked     

Steve,
Remember, the closer you live to Bish the wetter your car gets
Old 07-12-2005, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 427 - FE 427 SO
Send a message via ICQ to M & M
Not Ranked     
Default Discovery Heights

Well I can see the party has been crashed! Right Keith?

Hey Steve,

I just found out that the developement is listed on the web. It looks like they have not updated with the next phases yet but you can email or call them.

Discovery Heights

If you need any further Oregon info please feel free to ask. You can email me also.

Also FYI, we have a real active FFR owners group here in the Portland area that welcome any and all cobra makes. They have activities planned every weekend it seems. One comming up is to the coast.

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

I down near the middle of the W valley just east of Salem, about an hour and 15 minutes to the coast. The rain fall in Salem is around 30", the rain fall at Nehalem Bay(just south of Cannon beach and the wetest place in Oregon) is 120"-200". If you go south just 30-50 miles the rain on the coast cuts in half.

I live out in an unincorporated area of Marion County, on 5 acres in a 500K home, taxes last year were $4000.

I am not sure but I think Cannon Beach children go to Seaside? Or they may be in the Ne-a-kani school district.

I really like the Coos Bay/Bandon area of the south coast and Bandon has an excelent school district. Also the best golf course in the US, Bandon Dunes.

If you need any help please ask,

Scott S
Old 07-12-2005, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Keith Vincent
Not Ranked     

Mike, I'm a little sensitive to the word "crashed". I just usually lurk here until something worthwhile happens. So far this year it has just rained and I've been busy. No time for the car and not even time for the Harley's.
Not like Healey Boy. Yep, nuthin' to do but clip coupons.
Keith
Old 07-12-2005, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey guys I really want to thank you all for your help in this venture. It seems the NWCobra Club is a great group of folks, just like here in Texas. Some of my best friends I met here on CC, or because of the Cobra.

I just got of the phone with Bob (Three Peaks) and have learned a wealth of information. I will relay this info to my wife and go from there. It looks like we may just find a place to rent for a year and then shop from a central location. So I guess the only thing really inportant is the schools for our children.

Mike I'll check the link.

Speaking of Taxes. We have an appraisal review meeting at 10:30 tommorrow. The County raised our taxable valueation over 100K for a single year. That makes the taxes on this, say 400K home on one acre in the county a bit under $9,000.00 a year. As bad as that sounds, remember the home we just moved out of was $28K a year in taxes, valued at $1.2MM.

120 - 200" of rain a year, Ok yes that is quiet a bit of rain. I am listening to you. We recieved 2.3" here today in 45 mins. I could not see the street from our front porch. It is about 85' distance. When it stopped the sun came out and it has been hot and muggy humid ever since 8:19PM it is still 82*.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 327 Corvette powered Healey 100-4
Not Ranked     

Keith... I resemble that remark!

Waldo the "Healey Boy"
Old 07-12-2005, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL - TK0600, Electromotive EFI, Keith Craft 408W "standard crate", ~575hp
Send a message via MSN to Texas-Saluki Send a message via Skype™ to Texas-Saluki
Not Ranked     
Cool 200 days of sun to 200 days of...

Steve,

As some of the local's have pointed out it does rain a bit up there... but also they like to tell that to people for CA and TX

My company is based in Beaverton (tek) so I get the pleasure of visiting there... new hire training is always in July...the most perfect time of year... coming to texas to PDX is great right now since it is so hot down. Come Jan/Feb it is a little different. But hey you can golf almost year round there also... just a bit more rain gear is required.

Since I am in the NW Club area... any Tek employees have cobras? Also I will be in town in late August for the Hood to Coast...my first time hopefully it does not kill me. If there is a meeting around then I might try and meet up with the group

Thanks
http://www.thenolands.com

www.txcobraclub.com
Old 07-12-2005, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 427 - FE 427 SO
Send a message via ICQ to M & M
Not Ranked     

Chris,

Check this link for a calendar of events:

Cascade Cobra's

Steve,

You are doing it right. Rent so you can get closer to the area, then go searching for what you really want, when you know what you want! Like I mentioned earlier, weather is really unusual depending on different areas just like Scott's examples illustrate.

Keith........... "pun intended!" Your reputation lives on! On a serious note, hope you and your family are doing well.

Be Safe,
Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you do move to Cannon Beach I don't want to hear any complaints about the clear cut logging, some of those scars are mine.

Scott S
Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is amazing to me how many of you guys have responded to this thread.
We have had two from Texas respond.

Chris,
I knew you were relativly new to the Texas club but I had no idea you were from the great NW. Small world. I am a charter member of the Texas Cobra Club and do not regret one once of it.

Scott:
Fair enough, Thanks for the warning. I don't want to say something bad only to find out it is a Cobra buddy doing the deed. Ouch.

Mike:
I think the renting for a year is a good idea as well. We have talked to three people about renting and neither wants to lease for less than six months to a year. All told I think the year would be better and they will give us a better rate.

We are talking to a local (Texas) Realtor about this as well. She has asked us several times unsolicitated if we wanted to sell our home. She called again two days ago and asked again. We do not have a sign in the yard and she still calls us asking. Of coarse she is not just some Realtor but one we have worked with in our construction business for several years.

My wife and I are serious about this move and are getting more and more excited everyday. If nothing else you guys are making us feel welcome.

We have looked at a house in Coos Bay but have not looked in Bandon. Will have a look.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What kind of internet connection will you need, I live out in the country and 2-way sat is the only reliable connection I can get.

Make sure the string is pulled tight enough where you move to on the coast, also beware that the coast does get some nasty blows about twice a year and you may be with out power for a day or so.

But the fresh crabs, clams, and fish make up for some of that.

Another one of favorite spots on the coast is Salishan, it is between Licoln City and Newport. I don't know if I would buy one the homes out on the spit but I am sure there are some very nice rentals out there.

Try this Link

Good Luck!

Scott S
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scott
That is a REALLY good point. I have DSL here due to all the picture and file up and downloads.

Good grief I need to make a list!

I have been on the web all day looking at property for sale. The sq ft versus the price is borderline culture shock. Our home is #5,400 sq ft under roof and @ 3,845 A/C valued @ 450K rounded. Granted we really dont need five living areas and a theater two dinning areas ect...

However the price is about the same. That's OK though. Like I said we will more than likely lease for a year then we may have to build.

Found a couple of really nice palces in Lincoln City. Its a little further south than I wanted but who knows.

Will look up Salishan, it is not on my map

Realtor.com "No Gotty" Salishan, Or.

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 07-13-2005 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-13-2005, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Cannon Beach, OR

4RE KLR,

I will be going to Seaside and Cannon Beach tomorrow to do some Bicycle riding. I am also looking for a place on the Oregon Coast as well and love Cannon Beach. The rent idea is a smart move "Try before you buy" I have lived in Oregon all of my life and all of this rain even gets to me. You would think after 42 years I would get used to it, but if I lived on the beach it would make it all worth while.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Allen
Keep your eyes open for a lease
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sure... I will bring my digital camera. Keep your fingers crossed we have good weather tomorrow on the coast. That way I will cover more area.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT40 NZ / FFR Roadster
Not Ranked     

The resort at Salishan is nice. www.salishan.com It's located near Gleneden Beach. There is a private spit with a number of $$$ homes on it. We've been going there for 20 years...

Have fun.
FFR Roadster #4867 408/TKO/3-Link
Old 07-14-2005, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Neal:
That looks like a great palce to spend the weekend.

Nice place!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So Allen, how was the weather?

Guys is the weather so bad that it makes the place no fun at all? I mean it rains everywhere for the most part. I believe that the reason that part of the country is so beautiful is beacuse of the amount of rainfall it gets. It does not everyday, does it?

We love the area and really want to be around some mountains and the coastline. We have had enough flat Teaxs land. Don't get me wrong there are some really nice places in Texas. We just want a change of pace. The scenery up in the NW is awsome to behold. Thats is all we are after. If we get some rain, big deal. It rains here "sometimes" and the ground stays wet for weeks in areas. Then it is dry for months at a time and a shower would be a blessing for us.

We found a place on the Columian River in Astoria, right at the mouth. It would need some work for it to be nice but it apears to be nice enough to live in now. The price seems to be right. It is an old house that needs some tlc. But that is what I do.

Antone live in or around Astoria?

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 07-15-2005 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-15-2005, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK - I'm back from the Oregon Coast. The weather was one of those to dye for on both days. I took over 100 pictures and covered Cannon Beach, Seaside, Sahhali South and Lincoln City. I found a couple of places in Cannon Beach not really too much available there as it is a tourist town. This town had an average house price of $350k and up. Seaside had more places for sale and would be a nice place to live. I think the cost of homes is less there too. Sahhali South was a super nice place where you would have to build, but it has incredable views. This place is 12 miles from Lincoln City and was of my favorite home sites we found. I have several pictures of the lots and views from each one. I have also got some informative papers and magazines I could send to you. I will post some pictures after a while. What would you like to see? OH - I do have pictures of homes for sale in each town with most having ocean views.

BTW - My wife and I both had a blast looking around at properties yesterday and today.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Steve, I grew and lived on the plains of CO for most of my life, similar in some ways to parts of TX. Believe me NW weather takes some getting used to. Day after day of Gray skies, rain or intermitent rain for days on end in the winter can wear on your psyche until you acclimate...been here 10 years now and am finally starting to, I think.
It's July 15th and sweatshirt or fleece weather here on BI.

The NW is absolutely gorgeous when the sun is out winter or summer...but those sunshine days are few and far between at times. Unless you live right on the coast or in some heavily industrialized area you have no long range "vista" only a variation of trees, rocks and water.

I've been down the coast from Neah Bay, WA to south of Cannon Beach , OR, beautiful seaside areas no doubt rain or shine. The towns and cities along the way usually get more rainfall than we do in the Puget Sound area.

Just a thought or two from another "flatlander" transplant.