Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > NW Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cannon Beach Oregon

Are there any CC members that live in the Cannon Beach Oregon area?

We recently got back from a trip that took us through that small town and we liked it alot. We would be interested in moving there. The ocean on one side and the forest on the other. Wow That is a beatiful area.

I am trying to fina out all I can about the taown, the area and the State before making the big jump.

I have written the City Council and have not recieved a reply yet.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

A bunch of us live on the forum just a short distance away in the Portland area.
I go to Cannon beach once in a great while, but have other places at the beach here that I enjoy more- for lots of different reasons. Cannon beach really is beautiful, though expensive.

What would you like to know?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

You must have been there when it wasn't raining, CB gets a bunch of rain but it sure is pretty. I grew up about 30 miles from there.

Did you go any further south on the coast? Newport or Pacific City are a bit warmer and dryer(not a lot of this) but have very much the same kind of views.

Scott S
Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes we did. We went all the way down into California along the coast line.

No, it wasn't raining. It was so increadibly peacefull and beautiful when we were there.

Like I said, We are not married to Cannon Beach we just want to get into that general area. We live in a @500K home here. Nice and new in great subdivision and excellent school district for the two kids. (11 & 8). The real estate taxes here are stupid, ridiculous. That is one reason we are looking to get out. I also realize that the taxes there may be high as well but we are not looking for as large of home as we have now. We are in about 5,500 sq ft and would do well in about 2,300 - 2,500 ft.

Our business is 100% portable (internet) so that is not an issue. We also own a new home construction business. We are trying to stop doing that as it is a major time consuming headach! We could build our own home but really are tying to get out of that business if possible.

I suppose we may need to rent some place up there for a month or two and then drive to each little town and go from there. I would just like to narrow in on a few areas before doing so.

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 07-09-2005 at 01:11 PM..
Old 07-09-2005, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Are you set on living at the beach, in "The Valley", or on the Central/Eastern side of the state? I'm not criticizing your decision at all- Cannon Beach is definitely one of the gems of our coastline, but as native Oregonians know, there are lots of little gems along the Coast that aren't as expensive or exclusive. However, finding a good school district might be a little harder at the coast. Lots of small towns with small school districts, so you might want to check with a realtor in this area to get that information.

It would be a great idea if you spend a week just travelling around the state before you make a final decision. Staying in a rental for a few weeks/months will give you an opportunity to see the rest of the state before making a decision.
There is so much gorgeous country in this state from high alpine deserts, to lush rainforest, to ocean front property that it is a difficult decision for most of us. I think that is why most of us live kind of in between everything. In the Portland area, you are 1 1/2 hours from the ocean, 1 1/2 hours from the mountains, streams lakes, and 3-6 hours from desert, canyon country, Canada, California, and lots of other things.

I'm a General and Electrical contractor and if you're thinking of getting out of the business, you won't be wanting to start up here as it is really difficult to get all the licenses, insurance, and other registrations lined up in a reasonable time. Building your own home is pretty easy though.
BTW, a 2500 Sq. ft. home in the Cannon beach area will run you at least $500K- dirt is expensive on the coast these days.
If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

BTW, if you want peaceful- Scott's neck of the woods is absolutely gorgeous, peaceful, and somewhat remote but close enough to big cities to have everything you need handy.

Bob- owner, Three Peaks Construction
Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob
Like I said we are just wanting to get to that area. If it is up or down the coastline then that is Ok with us.

We certainly want on the caost side and not the eastern side or the central area.

If we end up in a different town that would not kill us. I would like to know where may be a better, or even les expensive area is it would be ok, as well. We just spent some time in Cannon Beach. We did notice that everything seemed to be a bit more expensive there though. But what would you expect from a town that smainly is a tourist area.

If we did get in a tourist area we would probably NOT reopen our construction business in Oregon. We have been doing it for twenty years and are ready to slow it down or even stop it. I have checked into the license and insurance and our insurance would transfer no problem and the license is "basically" the same as it is here for us. But none the less I really don't want to do that anymore. Some kids broke into a 5,500 Sqft house here and burned it to the ground. Our total loss was $2.5MM (yes million) so we are really not looking to do that again. (long Story)......

Yes we saw some really neat areas along the coastline and would love to move to the "area" if it was further north or south would not matter. It would be cool to already know someone from there before we moved, as now we know no one. The NWCC is a great start for sure. OUr business is portable so we could just do the internet business and close the construction business down and slow down all together. We are in our young forties and started this business in our very early twenties, so it is time to slow down. At least as far as that business goes. Iy simply is not worth the risk.

BOB:
If you are in the construction business I admire your stamina. If I have learned anything in the last twenty years about that business I will tell you now. PLease, get out your builders risk policy and read it. It may take you two days to do it but it could save you millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if not Cannon Beach what town would you move to?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 327 Corvette powered Healey 100-4
Not Ranked     

Don't mean to rain on your parade (pun intended) but we just moved to Bend, OR on the "dry side" of the Cascade range. Couldn't take the rain anymore. It's not an uncommon thing for people to be seduced by the beauty and serenity of the Oregon coast especially if you see it at its best. Bend is full of people who lived there for two years and then moved here. We have two such couples on our block alone. They cite the rain, the gray skys, the wind and the sand. I know it rains in Texas... hard! Where you might get 2 inches in two hours, the wet side here can get that 2 inches spread over a month... a little every single day! Just be sure you know what the reality of coastal living is all about... there are plenty of people who wouldn't live anywhere else... of course they're completely insane...

Walt
Old 07-10-2005, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yea we talked about the rain as well. But you take the good with the bad.

Life gives you lemons, you make lemonaid.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep that attitude and you'll be as happy as a coastal clam!

O&O

Walt
Old 07-10-2005, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Walt

We haven't made up our minds yet but it will be along the coastline in Oregon somewhere.

Any real recommendations would be good. And I will keep this open if we get some feedback from realtors up in the area. You guys can tell us if they are telling me the trurth.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Leaving?

Mr. Parks,

Did you get permission from the Royal one? Besides you can't leave "All the plants will die." - (Bill Murray in Stripes)

If you do move you will need to keep the end of March open for the TCC show.

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 07-11-2005, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 427 - FE 427 SO
Send a message via ICQ to M & M
Not Ranked     
Default Suggestion

As long as you are looking you might want to visit Long Beach area of Washington. It is on the very South end of Washington coast, minutes from the Oregon boarder.

I have only been there twice, but do have a friend that have bought a small house and goes there every weekend for the past year or two. Often times when it is raining here in Portland it is nice there.

This part of the country is very crazy with the weather. There are certain areas that will get lots of rain and others that don't that only a few miles apart. For instance I race at Woodburn dragstrip which is about 15 miles south of Portland and the rainfall is much less than Portland. Often times it is dry there and pooring in Portland. The town of McMinnville is the same way, way lower rainfall than Portland which is 45 minutes away, toward the coast. The same happens along the coast. I believe it is because of the mountain patterns here in the state.

I am sure if rain would be an issue (some people do not mind it) you could consult an annual rainfall statistic chart.

Anway my other reason for mentioning Long Beach is that while there I went a visited a new development, which when done will be bigger than the town of Ilwaco. Ilwaco is 2 miles from Long Beach, right on the mouth of the Columbia river. The lots are very cool, the development sits right above the north jetty, up on a hill with a view of the columbia river and/or northwest shore of Washington beaches. I believe they run about $125k for an acre, not sure of the utilities, i think they have power and water. The total development when done I believe is about 350 acres. Actually, I thought it was sad to see this beautiful land developed but that's life I guess.

If this sounds interesting I can make some connections for you to research that development and get better details.

There are many people that retire from Oregon and move to Washington because of no property tax. They do have sales tax which we do not have in Oregon. Also the license and title fees along with the sales tax for autos is bigger.

Walt, what what's your take on this having moved from Washington to Oregon?

The other idea that comes to mind is that there are always lots of beach homes that are not very well maintained. Being a builder you could "steal" one of these and fix it up.

Good Luck,
Mike

Last edited by M & M; 07-11-2005 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427SC #188 ZZ4 Crate, Tremac 3550
Send a message via AIM to Bish Wheeler
Not Ranked     

In Washington,

Mike, I think you meant to say that Washington has no Income Tax. We sure do have property taxes and sales taxes.

As Mike says, the weather here is a bit goofy, but generally speaking, on the west side of the Cascades, (not on the coast) the closer you are to the mountains the wetter it will be. I live in Mount Vernon and am about 8 miles from the foot hills which jut right up to 4500 feet and the rain here is about twice what you find in Anacortes which is about 20 miles to the west. As Walt said, the rain tends to be spread out over days. We just don't get a lot of real cloudbursts.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but when the rain stops and the sun comes out, well, it's worth it.

Bish
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, I did things totally bass-ackwards tax-wise (my s.o.p.) that is to say, retired to Oregon from Washington. WA has no income tax, OR has no sales tax (both states, depending on where you live, have killer prop taxes). The smart people live in WA close to the OR border and do all their shopping in OR. This is why the Vancouver/Battle Ground, WA areas just over the river from Portland are growing like weeds. Mike's suggestion of the development north of astoria seems to fit this "tax-smart" profile. I'd look into that!

Walt
Old 07-11-2005, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking OOooops!

Yea.... that's what I ment! LOL

BTW, there are lots much cheeper than what I mentioned in the coastal towns, but not with the spetacular view. Most buildable lots in Portland area sub's are running 150k to 250k.

Bish, Mt. Vernon is spectacular! The homeowners just need to make their driveways a little wider!

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Being we are self employed and the business is internet based, We really do not think the rain will matter one bit. Of coarse no one wants it to rain everyday. I think part of the reason everything is green there is partly due the amount of rainfall every year. It does not rain often here and sometimes the water bill can be $600.00 a month to keep the grass alive, Not healthy and green but just to keep it alive. The real estate taxes here are a MONSTER. We just moved out of a house that the yearly real estate taxes were $28,000.00 (yes each year) I would be interested in looking at some literauture on that subdivision If you could get it. Let me know.

We do really want to stay by the coast areas though. It has been a dream of my wifes to live on a high ledge overlooking the ocean. (The ghost of Mr Muir type house) I would like to live just a bit above the water level. Either way we are both negotiable as to where. But we agree that the ocean front or as close as we can find to it, is the reason to move. You are right. If I could steal a home that was not very well maitained I could do the remodel on it.

We are thinking of coming back up soon and look for a rental house. We may rent a house for a month or two and look around from there. When we were talking about this my wife said we may just find a general area and rent a house for a year then we can get a seasonal idea of the areas as a whole. The only real thing that would matter then would be a decent elementary school. We had looked at two houses for rent and they were inexpensive at @ $800.00 a month each but neither would sign a two month lease. After talking about it we decided it would be impossible to find a home in two months anyway, so a year may be more like it. If we found a fixer upper I would not be in such a rush to finish it and I could do it like we wanted.

What are the tax rates there:
Income:
Real Estate: (city county state)
Sales tax:

I realize they will vary from areas but generally speaking.

Ours are
Income : 28 - 48% (we are in the middle)
Real Estate: Just a bit over three % (/) 3.22% per hundred
Sales tax: 8.25% generally, some areas are 6.25% (VERY rare)

We would not mind moving into a small house for a year or so while we looked in greater detail at the area. We have recieved some info from several people there but nothing substantial. I get more info from you guys here.

Thanks for that!

Yes this will be a big move and we will do our homework first.

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 07-12-2005 at 10:59 AM..
Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW:

Greg: What's his name.
Yes we will miss more and more of the Autin events probably but we are just sick of the heat

You know I will keep in touch with all my Texas Buddies. Heck you guys are Family. Only someone from here that has been to an Austin event can understand the closeness of our group friendship. I will miss that, but I need to do what is best for our family. You know the story about the arson job on our house that we went through. Texas will never be the same for us.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

If I figured correctly my property tax was about 1.25% of market value. This will change slightly depending upon the extra assesments for the area of residence.

Income tax top bracket is 9%. You can see the brackets at this web link:

Tax Form

notice that Federal Tax is deductible on Oregon tax forms.

No Sales Tax in Oregon.

State of Washington does have Sales Tax (not sure of rates) but does not have Income Tax. Not sure of property tax rates either. Maybe you could find on State web sites?

Your dream would be real with that developement I mentioned with regards to view. It is not on beach front but on the mountains above Ilwaco, WA (5 minutes away) about 700 feet elevation. Location is directly west of the red star marking Ilwaco, in the middle of the land right above Ft. Canby Park.

Map

Weather

I will check to see about information for you.

Regards,
Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike
I look forward to looking at it.

I am going to call BOB (three Peaks)in a bit and visit with him.

I can't belive the tax rates. We need to move sooner not later!

Last edited by 4RE KLR; 07-12-2005 at 05:59 PM..
Old 07-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427SC #188 ZZ4 Crate, Tremac 3550
Send a message via AIM to Bish Wheeler
Not Ranked     

Steve,

The sales tax rate in Washington is about 8.5% +/- depending on where you live. Here, In Mount Vernon the property tax rate is about 1.35% of assessed value and the assessed value tends to lag quite a bit behind the actual in the current Real Estate climate.

If your wife is set on living overlooking the ocean, then you will have to go to the coast and in most cases you will find that tends to be pretty remote (read no people) in other than the summer months. The Pacific coast in winter is really something to behold. The WX systems come in from the SW and can be relentless and violent. Not sure too many people can handle that. As an option, there is Puget sound which is salt water but is sheltered by the Olympic mountains which buffer the winter (November thru May) storms.

Heard on the news this AM that the 2nd most livable city in the US is Bainbridge Island which is across the Sound from and just north of Seattle. JR, who is regular contributor here lives there and I'm sure he can give you details. But, Puget Sound should be on your "go and see" list. It may be an excellent option.

Bish