Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PORMGB,

I think they quit letting people use the engine date for registration. I used the body year which made more sense to me anyway.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgspd View Post
I specifically sourced and used PCV hose so he didn't say anything. I would suggest replacing the braided lines with rubber PCV hose so you don't waste your time in the event your inspector is diligent. You can probably just slip the hose over the AN fitting for your braided line and clamp it down. It's a visual test, not a performance test.

Bring ALL of your documents, and you should be good. If you were missing anything, they would have noted it at DMV or CHP. But, my inspector wanted to review the docs for their file as well.
Awesome. I have some Mishimoto MMHOSE with PCV stamped on them, and I have an original Ford PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the air filter. I can always put the braided hose back after.

Rowan Replicars 1965 Cobra Replica
352 4V, T5, Jaguar Posi rear end with 3.30 gears.
https://www.facebook.com/pormgb/
Old 06-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
PORMGB,

I think they quit letting people use the engine date for registration. I used the body year which made more sense to me anyway.

Ron
This I what I read from the DMV. I can prove the year of the motor (1959), but either way, I think I will be ok. If I use the body, I will go with 1965 as the year.

4. How is the model-year of a specially constructed vehicle determined?

If the owner chooses to have vehicle's model-year based on the engine model-year, the Referee will compare the vehicle's engine to engines of the era that the engine most closely resembles. Similarly, if the consumer chooses to have the vehicle's model-year based on the vehicle body, the Referee will compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most closely resembles.

If the engine or vehicle body does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured engine or vehicle body, the Referee will assign the 1960 model-year to the specially constructed vehicle.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Refe..._Vehicles.html

Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got my SB100 earlier today, and it was a pretty painless process.
Since I knew the referee for a Porsche 944 LS6 swap, I spend more time discussing GM engine swaps and their PCM's, than my Cobra Build.
The referee did not care about engine numbers but asked what year production car the motor came from, and he checked for a closed PCV system. The referee also went with the body style to determine the year. I gave him all my paperwork, including pictures, and he called the Sacramento DMV. Forty minutes later, he emerged with my sticker and placed it on my firewall, and I was off home.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Congrats! It's a great feeling isn't it!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgspd View Post
Congrats! It's a great feeling isn't it!
Yep, after building the car since 2015, it feels really feels good

Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All done and was in the DMV all of 20 min. I was bracing myself for the battle of my life, but to my surprise, I had a young lady who was very knowledgable of the process.

One word of warning. Don't start the process until you are ready to register the car, and the CHP+Brake & Light if needed are out the way. I started the registration process 18 months ago and paid for a years registration, and because the car took much longer to complete, the DMV tacked on a load of fees. I was quite fortunate that the DMV took one look at the registration history, and canceled all the costs and credited my registration fee paid 18 months ago to my current year's registration.
Attached Images

Last edited by pormgb; 07-17-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

As proud as you are of your SB100 you might want to consider graying out your plate number because everyone who visits the site here may not all be good guys. Just saying ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
As proud as you are of your SB100 you might want to consider graying out your plate number because everyone who visits the site here may not all be good guys. Just saying ...

Ed
Good idea!!

Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just curious about what you think might happen. My license plate number is visible every time I pull it out of the garage. How could that be exploited?
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ428CJ View Post
Just curious about what you think might happen. My license plate number is visible every time I pull it out of the garage. How could that be exploited?

Stitching together online pieces of a digital fingerprint for identity theft. We already have a lot of digital information strewn about, sometimes unavoidably, sometime not. This is just a matter of not making it any easier for bad guys.

When you drive down the road or park at Home Depot the only thing visible Is your plate. Online there are more pieces of your digital fingerprint than you might expect. This is just one more piece that doesn't need to be broadcast.

Ed
pormgb likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Thank you... Chris... why all the paranoia over the Lic plate? we can all see every ones plate in the parking lot... ? is some one here a scoundrel?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Annual Inspection

I live in NJ and am curious at to what kind of annual inspection you have to go through with the car in California.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I live in NJ and am curious at to what kind of annual inspection you have to go through with the car in California.
Once you complete the registration using the SB100 process, there are no further inspections or smog checks. Just pay the annual fees and DMV sends us new tags.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Finally Registered!

Well after nearly a year I got my SB100 sticker and license plates. Took many calls to Sacramento to reverse the decision of the BAR referee who just made up SB100 requirements that don’t exist. Whew!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ACHiPo - What happened?! Looking back, you posted that you went to the BAR referee back in May of 2019. What did he say was wrong with your car?

With my used ERA Cobra brought in from out of state, my first BAR referee was a real knucklehead who over-analyzed my paperwork. Apparently, the initial order to ERA from the guy who built the car indicated that ERA would be setting the car up for a 289. But the original builder ended up putting a 351W in it, so this state bureaucrat wanted to ding me for that for some unknown reason. I, too, called Sacramento a few times, and ended up getting approval and (purposefully!) going to another, different BAR referee who put the SB100 sticker on my car. For me, the bad experience was at Golden West College, and the good experience was down in Escondido.

PorMGB - sounds like you had it really easy, compared to many. Where was your BAR referee?
Old 02-17-2020, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

The BAR referee(s) declared my car a turnkey, even though I had all my paperwork in order. It took intervention from Sacramento to get them to reconsider and pass the car. Seems the BAR referees are making up the rules on their own.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR build #983, FRM 392
Not Ranked     

Here is my story so far:
1) Purchased my BDR Cobra #983 this past May from the original owner who had the car built by Vintage Motorsports back in 2011
2) Car has been titled and registered in Illinois for it's entire life
3) Brought into California end of May
4) Applied for registration and transfer of title at my local AAA office at end of May
5) Once my local DMV office opened after months of being closed for Covid-19, I submitted my paperwork (application for title or registration AND statement of construction) to the agent and had the car verified at the DMV office
6) DMV agent filled out the "Application for Assigned VIN Plate" and told me to schedule an appointment with the local CHP field office
7) Two weeks later, I had my CHP inspection and the officer completed his portion of the "Application for Assigned VIN Plate", basically verifying the VIN plate on the car and the engine serial number.
8) Next is to go back to DMV to return the completed VIN plate form...and then see what happens from there. Still wondering as to when does the Cert of Sequence gets issued?

Funny thing, I asked the CHP officer about the SB100 certification and the upcoming BAR referee inspection. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Uh boy...I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is my story so far:
1) Purchased my BDR Cobra #983 this past May from the original owner who had the car built by Vintage Motorsports back in 2011
2) Car has been titled and registered in Illinois for it's entire life
3) Brought into California end of May
4) Applied for registration and transfer of title at my local AAA office at end of May and paid the registration fee and applicable taxes
5) Once my local DMV office opened after months of being closed for Covid-19, I submitted my paperwork (application for title or registration AND statement of construction) to the agent and had the car verified at the DMV office. I do have all of the invoices for the body, chassis, motor and tranny, along with a copy of the MOS.
6) DMV agent filled out the "Application for Assigned VIN Plate" and told me to schedule an appointment with the local CHP field office
7) Two weeks later, I had my CHP inspection and the officer completed his portion of the "Application for Assigned VIN Plate", basically verifying the VIN plate on the car and the engine serial number.
8) Next is to go back to DMV to return the completed VIN plate form...and then see what happens from there. Still wondering as to when does the Cert of Sequence get issued? And then the BAR referee appointment.

Funny thing, I asked the CHP officer about the SB100 certification and the upcoming BAR referee inspection. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Uh boy...I'll keep you posted.[/quote]
Old 07-22-2020, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Haha...

Not sure how I 'dittoed' myself in the last post.