28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Doug, it's starting to get fuzzy already, but i think they said that my number, at the very least, won't be going out until February. She never said all the numbers are going out next month. Uh, I think. Everyone is alright. I'm the one who's screwed.

I may be the first person in SB100 history who went the 1st business day of the new year and didn't get an SB100 number. Trust me, it grinds me everyday.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I really don't think that the State of California is motivated to make the SB100 process better or more efficient. It's basically a once a year event that they have to endure.

The only hope is that the subject would catch the eye of a State Representative, but that's going to be tough.

Hell, even Arnold is talkin' green these days....as he rides his Harley and smokes a cigar.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster,408cu
Not Ranked     

So maybe its one of those things we just have to be happy that it exists at all . It is kind of hard to believe in a state that thinks the coolest car to have is a Prius we are able to get our pollution belching , decible busters registered. I for one am going to be happy with the sb 100...what other option do we have.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Send a message via ICQ to meat
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
I really don't think that the State of California is motivated to make the SB100 process better or more efficient. It's basically a once a year event that they have to endure.

The only hope is that the subject would catch the eye of a State Representative, but that's going to be tough.

Hell, even Arnold is talkin' green these days....as he rides his Harley and smokes a cigar.
Err...

I'm the guy who worked with Senator Johannesson's office, the committees and even the DMV to get SB1911 and then SB100 passed.

I kinda know what I'm doing.

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat View Post
Err...

I'm the guy who worked with Senator Johannesson's office, the committees and even the DMV to get SB1911 and then SB100 passed.

I kinda know what I'm doing.

Your pal,
Meat.
If you know what you are doing, then get SEMA involved to get their "model" legisilation passed in CA, as they have been doing in many other states.

If you know what you are doing, then why "the phuck" are you asking us?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Meat,

Hats-off to you and anyone else that was involved in getting the SB 100 bill passed. Tell us your angle on this. Do you have a sympathetic ear in Sac? If so, why would the legislature want to get involved in this?

The process is far from perfect, but at least there is a solution in place to legally register specially constructed vehicles in California.

I agree with Randy, the only significant changes to the SB100 bill will come with lobbying $$$$...probably from SEMA.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
If you know what you are doing, then get SEMA involved to get their "model" legisilation passed in CA, as they have been doing in many other states.
As has been shown when SB100 passed without SEMA doing anything but attempting to take the credit for it, why would I want to ask them for any help? All they seem to be able to do is piss off CARB.

Their 'model legislation' isn't.

Quote:
If you know what you are doing, then why "the phuck" are you asking us?
Because American is a government of, by and for the people.

I do know what I'm doing ... I just want to do as much as I can to make sure that I've done all the research - including asking people who have been through the process what their opinion of it is and how they would like to see it improved - so that I can present the proper case to the right people.

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Meat,

Hats-off to you and anyone else that was involved in getting the SB 100 bill passed. Tell us your angle on this. Do you have a sympathetic ear in Sac? If so, why would the legislature want to get involved in this?
It's not so much an angle as it is riding the current wave of "green is good" that is sweeping the country. When the bill is introduced, I'll post a link. I don't really want to lay out the whole thing here at this time because I don't want it to be ripped off or turned into something it shouldn't be.

Quote:
The process is far from perfect, but at least there is a solution in place to legally register specially constructed vehicles in California.
You should have seen it before. Comparatively speaking, it's a shining diamond of perfection compared to the fake VIN, Alabama-registered, bogus plated way it used to be.

...and you're welcome.

Quote:
I agree with Randy, the only significant changes to the SB100 bill will come with lobbying $$$$...probably from SEMA.
You mean like how it was done before? Oh wait, that's right ... Randy wasn't there, lobbying wasn't there, and SEMA sure as HELL wasn't there.

The only thing that WAS there was a Senator with a Cobra replica he couldn't get registered and a food group who knew how to talk to committees and who to have on speed dial.

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Meat, I for one appreciate it. Thank you.

Personally, there should be a way, similar to a rock concert or a lottery, where people can get a place in line, but not have to wait from 7:00 AM or 7:00 PM the prior day. I got to my DMV at 6:15 AM, but there were a couple guys there before me in their cars that got there between 5:00-6:00 AM. Fortunately, maybe unfortunately, I beat them to the door to be first in line. Let us submit the paperwork and then get a number which then could put us all into the some random generated numbering system.

Also, since California's fiscal year is July 1-June 30, why not have the "SB100 Day" be the first business day in July? At least then it won't be 30-40 degrees that early in the morning.

I'm just spitballing here.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmm,

After we stood in line ; some earlier than others ( I arrived at 8:00 AM and was #11 in line) and everybody was sitting in a group while Sacramento was called -- again and again and again a CHP (SPF GT-40 with Roush engine) officer strolled in, walked behind the counter, handed his paperwork over to the the DMV folks and became number 16 of 16 standing in line.

BTW he left and said he would return later to pick up his documents. In retrospect any or all of us could have done the same thing but, chose to sit and worry like expectant parents........including the Son of a Bxxxxx manufacturer that got five numbers. We as a group were more than a little concerned about preferential treatment so, I taked to him and he said he was in the same que as the rest of us but, had faith that the folks behind the counter in Pleasanton would take care of everybody.

TR

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 01-23-2008 at 10:31 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Meat,

Maurice lives not to far from me and I remember when he had his Lone Star. He used to come to some of our functions and we talked a lot about trying to get SB-100 passed. He was using another method then to drive his Cobra. As I stated earlier, I would like to see more numbers and the SB-1578 cars not compete for the same numbers as the new built ones have to. And also more training for the DMV clerks. Ours are just downright nasty and no one will go here if they can avoid it. Also these outlying DMVs have a hard time even getting into Sac. on the phone. By the time some of them get in the numbers are already gone.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 01-23-2008 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Meat,

Maurice lives not to far from me and I remember when he had his Lone Star. He used to come to some of our functions and we talked a lot about trying to get SB-100 passed. He was using another method then to drive his Cobra. As I stated earlier, I would like to see more numbers and the SB-1578 cars not compete for the same numbers as the new built ones have to. And also more training for the DMV clerks. Ours are just downright nasty and no one will go here if they can avoid it. Also these outlying DMVs have a hard time even getting into Sac. on the phone. By the time some of them get in the numbers are already gone.
Yeah ... there were alot of owners out there using "another method" to get their cars on the road.

I'm afraid that the Achilles heel will always be the DMV. I couldn't believe it when I took my first set of paperwork to an office and found out that I had more documentation on how to register the car on their system than they did. It probably would have been quicker for me to type it in myself.

What I'd like to see would be just the private citizens with a first time registration using the SB100 numbers, rather than re-registers and dealers getting the numbers. Dealers - and it's written right into the freakin' rules - are not supposed to be given SB100 numbers. The only person(s) who should be able to register the car should be the guy who shows up with his drivers license and he should only be able to register one single car per year. But that's just me, I suppose. Makes it more fair to everyone.

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 331 Sportsman block, T5Z, 3.55 IRS, Fuel Safe cell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The only person(s) who should be able to register the car should be the guy who shows up with his drivers license and he should only be able to register one single car per year. But that's just me, I suppose. Makes it more fair to everyone.
I think we are all pretty much in agreement on that point, except the professional builders of course.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Persons View Post
I think we are all pretty much in agreement on that point, except the professional builders of course.
True ... but the professional builder have to sell to someone, right? That someone is the one who should be going down to the DMV!

Damned pesky lazy buyers...

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat View Post
The only person(s) who should be able to register the car should be the guy who shows up with his drivers license and he should only be able to register one single car per year. But that's just me, I suppose. Makes it more fair to everyone.
I agree 100%. One per person per year is more than reasonable. As a starting point, the DMV needs to implement a standardized protocol to ensure that all DMV offices apply the same procedures and rules to the SB100 process.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The professional builders could also get around this by putting bodies in line to register one of their cars. You would need a 1 per person limitation, with a time window to re-sell the car (say 6 months).

Old 01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 331 Sportsman block, T5Z, 3.55 IRS, Fuel Safe cell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The professional builders could also get around this by putting bodies in line to register one of their cars. You would need a 1 per person limitation, with a time window to re-sell the car (say 6 months).
Since the sequence numbers are issued on a yearly basis, it would only make sense to make the time limit one year. If the car is sold prior to the one year anniversary from the issuance of the SB100 number, the sequence number should be voided. Additionally, any numbers not issued or voided out could be carried over into the next year. Just my opinion. John

Last edited by J Persons; 01-23-2008 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Sorry, Guys, but the h*ll if I'm letting CA tell me when and how often I can sell/buy a car, or how many cars I want to buy/sell, etc... CA cannot force me to keep my car for a year, nor can CA dictate when I want to sell.

I'm not as quick as you guys seem to be to give up my rights.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sorry, Guys, but the h*ll if I'm letting CA tell me when and how often I can sell/buy a car, or how many cars I want to buy/sell, etc... CA cannot force me to keep my car for a year, nor can CA dictate when I want to sell.

I'm not as quick as you guys seem to be to give up my rights.
Certainly there has to be a maximum. Is turning over 5 cars per year enough? Is one too few? Somewhere in between? I think one per year may be not enough, but we also have to discourage the scurrilous as well. Also, as the DMV driver's manual states, driving is a priviledge and not a right. I think the same applies to SB100 rule(s).
Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM Replica, 427 s/o, Vette suspension
Not Ranked     
Default I don't understand

Why does the state limit the number of SB100 registrations? Do owner-built cars contribute significantly to pollution? Is this just a matter of being politically correct? Does any other state limit the number of owner-built cars that may be registered in one year?
Even though I don't live in Ca I have tried to understand the SB100 process but am still confused.
*** OF GREAT WORTH *** And JESUS asked again, “The Kingdom of GOD, how shall we think about it, and to what can it be compared? Is it not like a Dark blue 427 Cobra, which a man found parked on his street one day? He hurried off and sold all that he had; the ’57 Thunderbird, the ’63 Stingray, the XKE, and bought the dark blue 427 Cobra.” The disciples frowned and scraped their feet; JESUS grinned and popped the clutch. --- Harris Wolfe