SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default How many here run Detroit Lockers?

Considering a swap from my LSD to a Locker. What are your thoughts give I put more miles on the track than on the street but I do make some cruises and drive to work from time to time.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A guy in our club runs that set-up. He reports it's great going straight, trouble going around corners.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Considering a swap from my LSD to a Locker. What are your thoughts give I put more miles on the track than on the street but I do make some cruises and drive to work from time to time.

Clois
i have been looking into this same subject matter, here are my thoughts.
i currently have a traction-loc, while this type of rear is great for the street and on a road course i go to the dragstrip with my car. the traction loc has clutch pacs whick after a few burnouts with slicks is done. the locker type rear would certainly be the best for the dragstrip, but is not the way to go if you do any street driving. they are quite noisy and when turning do not offer variable rotation for the difference between inside and outside turning radius' for the two rear tires( think about that) when turning the inside tire covers less distance and spins slower that the outside tire, the locker will not compensate for this. it will wheel hop around corners.

i am ready to pull the trigger on a new, what the industry calls a"Tru-track"
it works like the traction loc, where under normal cruising its an open rear and will react in the corners giving smooth operation, when there is tire slippage it locks up but the good part is there are no clutch pacs to fail.
it is done with helical gears. i have been told i can trust this type of rear up to 900HP and i will not have any issues with slicks and burnouts at the strip.

so thats where i'm at with mine........

fred
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Clois

I have been running Detroit lockers since early 60s---everything from 289 Cyclone to top fueler---the thing about them is that they ractet---one wheel can turn faster than the other one but at least one has to turn as fast as the rpm/gear ratio dictates---sometimes they are funny acting in slow turns in parking lots but not as bad as spools.

They WILL let a car get into a turn without the over/understeering caused by the disc limited slip rears and both wheels will pull equally when on the power agressively.

It might take a few laps tp get used to, but you will be faster

They are used in Nascar--
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your advise Jerry, I can always trust your opinion. I have a race next weekend and wanted to upgrade to the locker but was wondering how much of a hassel it was going to be for street use.

"Let's roll"

Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

They take some getting used to but in the long run it will be your best bet.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois:

Been running a Detroit Locker on my road racer since the day one, no problems so far and it was a "well used" unit I had rebuilt....

When you let off the gas going into a turn, it "unlocks/ratchets" to let the inside wheel turn "freely", when back on the gas, it locks back up to apply equal power to both rear wheels.....

I don't hear any of the noise others have heard with the locker, but my car has NO mufflers and is loud...........

I know of a few guys running the DL on street cars and they have not said one bad thing about it....

I did pretty much burn up the factory Ford Trac Loc in my fastback after about 5 or 6 times on a road course with the car, never had any problems with it in "normal" street driving......

David
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm running a Detroit Tru-Trac in mine and it has the great hook of the locker with none of "ratcheting" and none of the slippage of the LSD. I couldn't be happier with it. It's as quiet as an open rear.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone. David are you coming up for the MidAmerica Ford & Shelby Meet?

"Let's roll"

Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
Clois:

When you let off the gas going into a turn, it "unlocks/ratchets" to let the inside wheel turn "freely", when back on the gas, it locks back up to apply equal power to both rear wheels.....

David

the point when you let off the gas....it will ratchet.....this is where i have a problem with getting a locker. when driving on the street, you approach a corner, you decelerate into a curve, but start to accelerate 3\4 of the way into a curve, this is where i feel i would not like a locker. it WILL cause drivability issues unless you totally change the way one drives.
i have discussed this with those who do this for a living, IE: mark williams, moser, strange, and they all agree that a locker for the street is unfriendly and the new Tru-Track design is the absolute best way to go for street\strip application. i have used detroit lockers on the street in older mustangs and yes they do work but they are harsh, these cars are harsh enough, personally anything i can do to make the car more friendly driving is a definite plus. i think Undy's praise for his, supports what i have researched so far.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
the point when you let off the gas....it will ratchet.....this is where i have a problem with getting a locker. when driving on the street, you approach a corner, you decelerate into a curve, but start to accelerate 3\4 of the way into a curve, this is where i feel i would not like a locker. it WILL cause drivability issues unless you totally change the way one drives.
i have discussed this with those who do this for a living, IE: mark williams, moser, strange, and they all agree that a locker for the street is unfriendly and the new Tru-Track design is the absolute best way to go for street\strip application. i have used detroit lockers on the street in older mustangs and yes they do work but they are harsh, these cars are harsh enough, personally anything i can do to make the car more friendly driving is a definite plus. i think Undy's praise for his, supports what i have researched so far.
Agreed, I only have a DL in my road racer, street car has a Ford Trac Loc unit.....I started road racing with the DL, so that's how I learned to drive the car, I just don't know any better.....

Quote:
Thanks everyone. David are you coming up for the MidAmerica Ford & Shelby Meet?

Clois, wish I could,been too long since the last time, but right now my truck is in the shop, bad tank of diesel, all 8 injectors stopped up,left me on the interstate "only" 110 miles from home, wanna see that tow bill????, or the repair bill$$$$$?????

On top of that, I broke/blew my motor at Barber Motorsports Park and the machine shop was supposed to have my "new" block bored and machined a month ago, now he tells me he'll have it done by the end of next week, so, the only thing still running is my Toyota company car, ya think they'll let me run it at Hallett?????

There should be 5 or 6 cars from here going, 2 show cars (Roush Stangs), 2 drag racers, and maybe 2 road racers, probably 10 to 15 people........

David
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I run one in my Unique FIA. Butch at Mid-South Gear built the jag rear-end, and I have never had any problems with it on the street. As mentioned it does rattle a little in tight parking lot turns but no big deal.

Justin
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I've run one in my Boss 302 for years and have never had the harshness problems that others here have mentioned. It's indestructable.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

I run a Moser DL on the street. It's bullet proof & no issues.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to hear, I just told my guy to put the DL in and I should have it back tomorrow.

"Let's roll"

Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

so for a beginning road racer; how are you supposed to drive the Detroit Locker through turns? I read elsewhere that it causes a lot of understeer if you begin throttling before turn is completely done; I also read that one can reduce the understeer if you go aggressively through turns - I take that to mean if you are able to keep it locked through the turns...thoughts?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Clois, you'll be very happy with it. The newer designs, usually called a soft locker, does not bang and click as you go around corners. I have one in my 66 mustang fastback and I love it.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

I've had two, one in my Boss 302 and one in my GT 350. Both would make some noise in a really tight turn, such as in a parking lot, but nothing bad. In a high performance Mustang, they're bulletproof, and I would put another in with no hesitation. I beat the pi$$ out of them, with no breakage. Can't say that about the clutch-type Traction Locks. I'm looking for a new 9" housing for my Cougar, and it will have a Locker.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I've been running the same Powertrax No Slip system in my 9" for well over 10 years with no problems. Before I wrecked the car three years ago, I'd done 25000 miles of not very gentle miles. Quite a few trips down the strip with times in the 11.10s on gasoline and 10.70s with a little shot of NOS. I run MT drag radials and carried the left front wheel through 2nd gear, with my three speed TH400, so I'm truly impressed with the product. (in my rebuild process, I've made several modifications to greatly stiffen the chassis to reduce or eliminate the flex to either keep the left wheel on the pavement or lift both). I do sometimes get some clicking, while backing and turning, but after the initaly scare, years ago, don't even notice it.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is an old thread and while I am sure Clois has made his selection long ago, those of you who are currently pondering this selection issue might want to look at this solution => Wavetrac

It is quite impressive!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.