SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Michael could you post pics of the wiring diagram and/or wiper assembly--I'm cheapand I really don't want to buy a whole new assembly 'cuz now mine work just don't park?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I'll call my son and have him sort out the computer .I'll try to copy the diagram that Enzo sent with the switch.
The electric socket on the motor has five lugs, four verticle ,one horizontal
_ ground

I fast I park

I slow I fused ignition 12V feed

The top horizontal is a ground.Upper left verticle is fast speed,lower left verticle is slow speed,top right verticle isthe park from motor to#4 terminal on switch,lower right verticle is a fused 12V. I'll probably run the fused 12V power supply to the switch and back out of the same connector the supply to the motor .

Switch
1__ __2

3__ __4

5__ __6

7__ __8

#2 is Park returning from motor,#4 is fused ignition 12V feed
#6 is slow speed ,#8 is fast speed no blades in #3 and #5 on switch

I'll work on the diagram but I thought I was clever tring to make this display with what I knew.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-09-2005 at 08:40 AM..
Old 02-28-2004, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My attempt didn't work .When I submitted it it got shifted .What you are looking at isn't what or as I had typed
Old 02-29-2004, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Michael,
I'm back from Austin early to avoid the rain. ( I drive my car to all events)
Sounds like you drank the Lucas Cool Aid Welcome to the dark side
Steve
Old 02-29-2004, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got the diagram scanned and put in as bmp file in my documents. It looks great. How do I get posted on this thread?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 02-29-2004 at 07:56 PM..
Old 02-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Michael
Post the bmp file to your photo gallery, not sure how you post a text file into a thread, I still have trouble posting pics---you cna then open the file copy the link from the http at top of page then paste it into a thread text as a link.
Maybe one of the computer gurus can help----Ron?
Old 03-01-2004, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 351W Tremec 2004 Cobra SVT Convertible
Not Ranked     

Check out the pictures in my gallery and I have a diagram there that shows how you can use a double pole double throw switch with 2 relays to park the Lucas wipers. I used this on my Shell Valley and it works great. The relays are cheap from Jameco Electronics and they also carry the relay sockets (pigtails). It shows how to connect it to the Lucas plug also.
hog
Old 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Hog,
I have used a two relay setup to operate the motor correctly from a G.M. steering column switch in a Classic Roadster. (Thanks to "PeteK" for the idea) To park correctly, Gary and Micheal would still need the park plunger switch on the motor.
Steve
Old 03-01-2004, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Here is the Finish Line diagram.

Steve
Old 03-01-2004, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Here is an alternative to the Lucas switch. It employs a modified Indak rotory switch. (Cost about $6.00) I hope you can read it. We'll see.

Steve
Hmmm.... That's just about useless. I'll have to re draw it.

Last edited by Steve R; 03-01-2004 at 12:02 PM..
Old 03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received the new wiper motor assy from Enzo.The park secret is the electric socket on the motor it looks like it slides into place.and is a built in cam operated switch.The motor has the same three wires that my original motor has but insted of the red wire going to ground mine came with the blue wire going to the contact designated as ground.The gear that came with the motor assy has a movable cam.It can be moved 180° .Where my old gear said 100° the new gear says 120°.My old motor was missing that socket -switch, I think that is the secret to self parking.All I had was the hole covered by a peice of electrical tape.
The new $43 switch has a very short threaded neck.I had to cut a rectangular hole in the metal dash to bring 11/16" by 15/16"part of the body into the dash then the threaded neck through the vinyl cover and washer.
It came with the electric plug to make a harness to the motor..Now to see if the conecters I have fit the plug. The previous schematic is the one I was tring to post.
OK I checked the 1/4" spade female connecters I have are too big soo I'm off and looking again. It is never simple.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-01-2004 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile This may help!

This is how I fixed my problem. I asked a Pro.
Hope this helps Guys.
Snake/Gerry.

The park circuit will work with the Chevette column if you wire it right. The manual tells you to ground the switch. If you do that you will pop the fuse every time you turn on the wipers. You need to remove the blue wire from the back of the park switch and ground it. Then run the rest of the wires like the manual tells you with the exception of the ground. It will work and park at that point. The other problem is tension on the cable. If you run the cable and cable housings too straight, the motor will spin past park every time. You need to tip the motor up to put a little pressure on the cable to slow it down. The park circuit will then catch each time.
Don

Snake,

This is going to be as confusing as hell. Pull the wiper motor out, remove the cover, pull the large gear... it should have a small white plastic tab on it approximately 1/2 long, on the flat side of the gear. This is the tab that makes or actually breaks the circuit so it parks.

Is it there? If it is, look on the opposite side of the gear and you will see corresponding holes. Pry the tab out of the original holes and reinstall in the other set. Reinstall and give it another try.

DV

Ok DV! Did what you said....changed the white tab in back of the gear....that was good advice...it works now...but I had to re-wire the plugs input for it to work...for mine the manual is wrong. This is how i had to wire it.
After switching the wires from the picture in the manual.
This is how they read.
Ground not used...use blue wire from lucas wiper motor for ground to cowl bar.
Constant power is now #149 and the other conected to Low speed wiper power...this one dosen't change from the manual.
High speed is now changed to #123.

After doing this everything works GREAT...parks perfect.
Thanks Everyone for the Help!!!
Snake

Hope this helps you's out.
Latter.
Snake/Gerry.
P.S If you need a better explanation, I am scanning the manual of the corrections...which may explain this better. If you would like a copy...just e-mail me at gm@mtl.clubplus.net
Snake/Gerry.

Last edited by Snake; 03-02-2004 at 12:47 AM..
Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Michael,
I believe those small female spade terminals can be had from Radio Shack.
Steve
Old 03-02-2004, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Snake,
" If you run the cable and cable housings too straight, the motor will spin past park every time."

Not if the motor is controlled electrically as Lucas intended.

"You need to tip the motor up to put a little pressure on the cable to slow it down. The park circuit will then catch each time."

Ahhhhhhhhh, Thaaaaaaaaat would explain why some people are getting away with wiring it that way. Thanks Gerry.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 03-02-2004 at 02:09 AM..
Old 03-02-2004, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to Brooklands .They couldn't help with the electrical connectors.They aslo suggested Radio Schack.I'm going back tomorrow to see about getting the socket -switch actually on the motor.That would make even my old wiper motor park.
Sure would have been nice if the female connecters would come withe plug or available seperatly.They seem rather unique.
As far as the wiper motor socket-switch is concerned I can't be the only one who is missing it from a perfectly good wiper motor.
The $35 gear that Enzo sells will make the correct sweep 120°. IT is worth it, not having to alter the old gear and comes with the switchable cam to change park to left or right .

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-02-2004 at 06:53 PM..
Old 03-02-2004, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Radio Schack doesn't have them.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Steve R !

Hey Steve R! Glad I could help someone out...I had a lot of help building my Cobra...so I owe the favor. Club Cobra is the best...The best people and the best of friends.
Latter.
Snake/Gerry.
P.S If these guy's can't help you out...NO one can.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Micheal,
Must be a lame Radio Shack. They are not all stocked the same. try another one. Do you have Ace Hardware out there? The one by me has a ton of bits and do- dads.
I could mail ya some if you can't find any.
Steve
P.S. Look back in this thread. I posted a source for the park switch. It is something like $15.

Last edited by Steve R; 03-03-2004 at 01:59 AM..
Old 03-03-2004, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

We picked up the termianls at Radio Shack, hate that place, and the ones they have do not have the locks for the plug so be sure they are fully seated and that your wires will not pull on the motor.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still looking for the terminals ,holding out for the locking ones.the size is .187" or 3/16". I know it will be found under some metric size in the end.
Brooklands had the socket-switch for the wiper motor.Out the door for $15.53.
Enzo says that lucas doesn't supply terminals.What is the point of the plug then?
Any suggestions?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-03-2004 at 01:13 PM..