SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-03-2004, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

30073, F PUSH-ON, 3/16", W/TANG

Waytek Wire
Old 03-03-2004, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

strictlypersonl,

Thanks for the heads up. I have been looking for a supplier of the right terminal for some time.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     
Ancor wiring available from West Marine has the small female type lugs as well as the spades--I used Anchor wire and connectors when I rewired the electrics and added components on my Hans Christian sailboat. For rewiring one component I needed the small Euro style lugs and spades and they were available from Anchor thru WM
Fwiw
Old 03-05-2004, 05:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

You may want to check out www.britishwiring.com for wiper motor plugs and terminals. $3.00 for the plug and .35 per terminal.

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 03-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Not Ranked     

What is the amp draw on a Lucas wiper motor, what size fuse is needed--right now mine is wired "hot" all the time, no fuse , just on-off, direct from power source---I'm converting over from an on-off toggle to correctly wiring the wiper motor up using a Lucas wiper switch--
Thanks in Advance
Old 03-07-2004, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter with a 4.6 supercharged
Not Ranked     

We install a 20amp fuse in our cars systems.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Question

Gary,
Did you get the park plunger switch from Moss Motors? I would like to know if the one they sell is correct.
I don't know the answer to your fuse question, but checking a MGB wire diagram should yield that info.
Steve
Old 03-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I ordered the switch but it hasn't come in yet it was on back order at Moss and was supposed to be here late last week--in the mean time I was at a wrecking yard and there was a badly wrecked MGB there. I managed to get the wiper motor and all the parts and pieces,switches etc., out $20. It is identical to mine but has plugs etc, that mine is missing . Haven't done anything on it yet as I'm replacing my clutch and transmission
Old 03-07-2004, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got-cha
Old 03-11-2004, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I ordered the# 30073 terminals. 100@ $.18 ea.The .187 insulated terminals I bought earlier didn't lock into plug and the insulator had to be removed to fit into plug.Thanks for the info.
I'm sorry but I had called Enzo last week about the lack of connectors.He sells the motors, electrical plugs .and Oh well, you are just on your own for the connectors Lucas doesn't supply any connectors.It came just that close to being complete.Not exactly one stop shopping?
All the connectors I found so far are labled 18-20.I can open a little and fit 14 wire. How heavey a wire would you run?

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-11-2004 at 04:04 PM..
Old 03-11-2004, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What we've accomplished here .We discovered how the wiper motor works.how the dash switch circuit works ,the wiper motor located switch and electrical socket works ,the cam and gear.altering the sweep by altering the pickup point on the large gear or buying a new gear. The Lucas dash wiper switch is meant for a metal dash,the plug to build awiring harness to wiper motor is now available but no electric female meant for that plug connectors and now connectors that will fit and lock in to the plug for $.18 each.I count four pages about $350 and the better part of a month.This thread should be laminated at least for the next bunch of guys to go through this.I thank everyone that has contributed to clear this up and find sources. I can't beleive how many people have put up with playing with the switch tryng tom get the wipers to stop in just that wright spot.I can emagine a few wrecks over the years caused by the distraction.The world is a safer place.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
One final question/concern---finally got some time to address my wiper issues,a couple days ago, wired everything per Finishline diagram and your guys help, wipers work great---but today I was under the dash checking out another electrical gremlin, while doing so I inadvertently knocked the #4 hot ignition lead from the wiper motor off it's connection, must not have been fully seated, then, ignition was on, I also bumped the wiper motor switch toggle and low and behold the wipers came on, toggled the switch, I've got hi/lo and park.

I thought the wiper motor needed a seperate ignition source from the Lucas switch in order to operate? Now I'm confused

Steve R---the Moss Motors part only confused the issue--the motor didn't know want it wanted to do

I'm not a great 12v electrician--but I do know how to read a schematic or rough diagram--I rewired 3 sailboats and everything worked, cruised one for 5 yrs. But this little wiper motor thing on a car has me baffled.

Any Ideas?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Gary,
My brain is starting to hurt! O.K., lemme get this straight.
Quote:
"I inadvertently knocked the #4 hot ignition lead from the wiper motor off it's connection."

You knocked the wire off the #4 terminal of the dash board wiper switch? ...and it still worked as advertised???
Steve
Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
No the #4 wire from the motor plug, that on Era's/Finishlines drawing indicates fused lead to ignition for wiper motor--I ran it seperately from the fused igniton lead from the switch as someone recommended--I have a couple of open/spare fuse holders on my fuse block that are ignition switched--used 1 for the switch lead and 1 for the motor lead, I knocked the motor lead off, and when getting out from under the dash toggled the wiper motor--it worked.

Hope that makes sense.

I just didn't think that it should have worked if the motor had no power source.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I made my harness for the wiper.The Waytek #30073 terminals they do fit the plug for the Lucas wiper motor.All five wires in harness.The ground at motor branches for a local ground and dash. Fused power is going to be branched at the switch from supply to switch and from switch to motor.They sell a crimping tool #428 works greatfor this stuff.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael I did the same thing as you, except I seperated the wiper "hot " lead from the switch "hot" lead--the motor runs and works whether the wiper "hot" lead is hooked up or not---that is what has me confused--and I've double and triple checked everything, wires are firmly seated into the plug , plug is fully inserted into socket on motor.

I was under the impression that the motor shouldn't run if it had no power to it. I have lo/hi and park off the Lucas toggle wiper switch with or w/o the wiper hot lead being hooked up
Old 03-19-2004, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't put the power to the motor yet.I went and put the new motor socket and cam-switchI bought at Brooklands in my old motor and the new 120°gear from Enzo.When I removed my old motor the red wire on the motor went to a local ground.The new wiper motor from Enzo has the blue wire going to ground ternimal on the cam switch-socket.So I installed and connected the new cam-switch in my old motor( bringing it up to date) the same as the new motor.I'll have one fused power source for the dash switch and motor. I'm using an old inexpensive dial multimeter I can't perseive any difference in the OHMs readings between any of the three wires( red ,blue, and yellow) on the motor its self in any combination.Perhaps too much caution makes Mike a dull boy.Am I on track?I should have bought a coil of pink wire for the park wire .The words pink and park are close? The #30073 terminals were intended for 14 gauge wire and smaller and with the #428 crimpers do a real nice job.I'll keep the new motor assy from Enzo with a new 120° gear and electrical plug as a complete-expensive spare. Man do have an ever growing pile of parts. At least in ages to come it's new yellow plated appearance should identify it as having some possible value. If I had this knowledge before I would have bought the Lucas dash switch $43,electrical plug $10, #30073 terminals $18 per hd.,120° gear $35 and called that good enough.Again the Lucas toggle type dash wiper motor switch has a very short threaded neck and if mounted through a 1/2" round hole will allow for a thin metal dash.To get that switch through a my vinyl covered dash I had to scrape the thin padding from between the cover and the dash around where the switch will be.I also had to cut a rectsangular hole 11/16" by15/16" centered on the original hole to allow the chromed toggle pivot body portion of the switch to protrude thruough metal dash to get enough to thread the nut over a thin washer and the vinyl .I still had to squeeze like
mad to start the nut.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-19-2004 at 10:01 AM..
Old 03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Everyone: I am still confused, even after (4) pages of this thread. I started this with a question and I still don't understand. I am so messed up mentally on this that I went to Radio Shack and bought a simple on/off toggle switch that I put in the fused power source from the fuse panel to the switch. I located it under the left part of the dash. When I want the power to the wiper switch on I flip the switch to "ON". Then I operate the switch low speed or high speed. Then when I want the wipers "OFF" and in the "Park" position I flip the switch to the "OFF" position when the blades get close to the park position.
Interesting enough, the next time I turn the battery cutoff switch to on and start the car, I flip the switch to the "ON" position and the blades cycle once and stop in the "ParK" position. If I were to simply turn the wiper switch back on and then off to park the blades just keep cycling. FLIP THE SWITCH TO THE "OFF" POSITION. DONE!!
CONFUSED.
JIm
Old 03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

It has taken me a while to realise this thread was going on, but now that I have found it, I just wanted you guys to know that Lucas wipers are the Englishmen's revenge for you guys' exporting things like "Oprah" to our TV stations.

BTW - the secret is in the switch. It is not a simple on/off affair. You have to use the correct Lucas part number switch (35927), which internally connects a live feed to the park feed , in the "park" position. A normal off/on/on switch just will not work for you.

Dia in next post might help, assuming you are using the right Lucas switch.

Last edited by wilf leek; 03-19-2004 at 02:35 PM..
Old 03-19-2004, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Attached Images