Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

(double post)

Last edited by Brewme; 01-03-2012 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: (double post)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Depending on the year of production of your car, here's the order I would do things:

1. Rear shock mounts if your car is among the batch that had that problem.
2. Mid grade ball joints from Cobra Valley.
3. 400 lb springs for the stock Bilsteins (if you can't swing the complete spring/shock package at once).
4. Cobra Valley single adjustable shocks. Easy to adjust by reaching your hand under the car and turning the knob. All 4 can be done in under a minute.
5. Sway bar package. If you want great handling, you gotta get the bars.

Shocks and springs without the sway bars is only half the fix. But your car will feel more solid over bumps. The bars really make turn in much more positive.
I don't track, so you might ask others that have swapped out the shifter how they feel.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by jhv48; 01-03-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

jhv48, thanks for your response. Why springs before sway bars? Is 400 lbs. too stiff to enjoy cruising? I've seen others use 350 springs. What are your thoughts on a short throw shifter?

Lastly, which batch had the rear mount problems? Mine is in the # 1500's.

Last edited by Brewme; 01-03-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
jhv48, thanks for your response. Why springs before sway bars? Is 400 lbs. too stiff to enjoy cruising? I've seen others use 350 springs. What are your thoughts on a short throw shifter?

They all have issues, it's just a matter of how bad.

The Superformance factory made two changes to address this rear mount problem. First was to go to 10mm bolts, up from the original 8mm bolts. Then they added sleeves to the frame member to keep them from collapsing. An improvement, but not a true fix.

Based on your chassis number, it would appear that you have the original 8mm bolt mounts on your car. At least for me, that would mean I would change those out first thing, as they have the greatest chance of failure.

If you still have the original springs, then they should be the 350 pound units. The 400 pound units will be stiffer. In my case I went with the 400, and now wish I had gone with the 450's. However I'm willing to sacrifice ride for handling. I also have the QA1 shocks set pretty stiff. Most of the suspension give is in the tires.

I have to add that everything I have bought from Randy at Cobra Valley has been first rate in regard to performance, quality, and instructions. Generally he is only a phone call away if you have any questions.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I would choose the 400lb springs because the stock springs and shocks are way to soft. Springs alone (on the stock Bilsteins) would help firm up the ride some, even if that's all you did. If you cruise alone and weigh less than 200lbs, then the 350lb springs will be fine. If you always have a passenger or are a big heavy guy, then opt for the 400 pounders. The sway bars are meant to combine with the shock and spring package. One without the other is just half of the fix.
My take is that the stock shocks and springs are insufficient, and should be upgraded if you are one who drives their car alot. The original sway bars are sufficient, unless you like to do curvy roads with a secure feeling. I put about 4000 miles a year on my car and found the car way to bouncy and loose. Thus all the upgrades.

As for the shifter, I like the look of the original shifter. It shifts fast enough for me. However, if you plan to drag race, you might appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

What tires are all you running? size etc...??? with the suspension upgrades???

Last edited by JBCOBRA; 01-04-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks! I don't plan on drag racing. I will do track days in the summer and some autocross, bust mostly just cruising around. But secure turns on curvy roads is a must! We also have some nice canyon roads here in Utah and I don't want to go off the edge (or feel like I'm going to). I do weigh less than 200 lbs. (180ish) and when I'm with my wife I would be hesitant to drive too aggressively anyway. So, I might try sticking with the original springs and switch out the sway bars first. If that doesn't help enough, I'll stiffen up the springs and shocks. I do like the idea of adjustable shocks too...hmm...lots to think about.

I weigh
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks! I don't plan on drag racing. I will do track days in the summer and some autocross, bust mostly just cruising around. But secure turns on curvy roads is a must! We also have some nice canyon roads here in Utah and I don't want to go off the edge (or feel like I'm going to). I do weigh less than 200 lbs. (180ish) and when I'm with my wife I would be hesitant to drive too aggressively anyway. So, I might try sticking with the original springs and switch out the sway bars first. If that doesn't help enough, I'll stiffen up the springs and shocks. I do like the idea of adjustable shocks too...hmm...lots to think about.

I weigh
If you have the AVO shocks, take a look at my gallery. You may want to consider swapping them out regardless.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

And this is how it begins. Upgrade the springs then you need to upgrade sway bars and then you need to upgrade tires and then you need to upgrade brakes and then you need more power and then.....beats spending money on something stupid like a new kitchen
Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Exactly! "Granite counter-tops?! Honey, we could get more ponies in the Cobra instead!" HA!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2644 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I'm running 500# springs, single adjust QA-1's, upgraded both sway bars and intalled the rear shock brackets. I had the 10mm bolts and noticed some wear after only a couple thousand miles.

The tires are Goodyear F-1's 35 - 315 - 17" rear and 45 - 255 - 17" fronts??

I have not replaced the ball joints yet.

I can tell you the bouncy ride of the 350# Bilstein's was down right scary... More than once I had my hands full hitting even small bumps in corners. The rear tires would rub the inside fender wells and the car would almost fell like it was changing lanes...

The overall ride is much firmer and almost a little to stiff. But the handling is greatly improved and no more rear tire rub... In my opinion money very well spent...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra Chassis #408, 427FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I'm running 400# Springs all around also with the single adjust QA-1s, sway bars, shock brackets, and ball joints.

Tires are Michelin Pilot sports. 275/40-17s up front, and 335/35-17s out back on 17" Halibrands (Stock SPF replica wheels).

All iron 427FE up front.

I like the ride....major upgrade.

Dan Martin
Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
I'm running 400# Springs all around also with the single adjust QA-1s, sway bars, shock brackets, and ball joints.

All iron 427FE up front.
Any consensus on SB cars with the identical set-up above? I'm waivering between 350# and 400# springs. The Bilsteins bounce too much (less than the AVOs, but still more than they should). 200lb driver and it's usually just me in the car. Have sway bars, brackets and ball joints installed (all good upgrades on their own right).
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember, FEs weigh only slightly more than SB, so there is not a huge difference. The FE motors are thin-wall castings.

I doubt the average driver would notice much different between the two IMO.

Dan
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Get the 350 pounders. You'll be fine.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF SBF 392
Not Ranked     

You may want to consider the 400s as the smallest option. I got the 400s and it’s not enough if you are hauling 2 people with any luggage and set the ride to soft for a long trip. I talked to RT about it before buying and he convinced me that 400s are probably a minimum for almost anyone and ther you really can't feel the difference between 350s and 400s, but they help prevent bottoming out the suspension.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They have a chart on the spring page of their site for helping to select the right springs:

Cobra Valley's SHOCK & SPRING Suspension UPGRADE

Dan