Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

From what I have seen on the news, you are getting biblical rain.

Mark.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Mark,

Yes, they are getting biblical levels of rain. As I was leaving the gate I commented to the security person that they had better break out the ark! That area is not well designed to manage a lot of rain, no shoulders or drainage ditches on the roads; the water just runs straight across. I was worried that I would come across a road closed sign with the trailer hitched up and have no place to turn the truck and trailer around. The roads were narrow and twisty with changes in elevation. Not a pretty picture to back up on. There are people there who will probably be stuck at home for several days until the water drains away.

While it sucked having the race cancelled, it was still nice to see some old race friends and meet some new ones in the paddock. There was a track day going on when I first arrived and on the way into the paddock someones vehicle was hanging behind a tow truck. The front passenger side was crumpled in and both rear quarters were severely damaged as well. My guess was that the driver overestimated his ability to drive on a wet surface and took a corner way to fast. Looked like he bounced off a wall more than once.

Jim
Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's beginning to look like the weather is attacking cobras. Rain here every afternoon (normal T-storm action). Glad to hear you made it out with out using the floats... And what was the line in "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? " You have to initiate the slid, not reacting to loosing it." or something like that.

My other plastic car C5Z06, decided last week to let 5th & 6th gear go a missing. I'll get the box opened today and see just what happen. Hopping is like my old Alfa ZF box, and that the bolt back out of the shift fork. With 160k on the clock, and
lots of track days "it could happen"...

Mark.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
It's beginning to look like the weather is attacking cobras. Rain here every afternoon (normal T-storm action). Glad to hear you made it out with out using the floats... And what was the line in "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? " You have to initiate the slid, not reacting to loosing it." or something like that.

My other plastic car C5Z06, decided last week to let 5th & 6th gear go a missing. I'll get the box opened today and see just what happen. Hopping is like my old Alfa ZF box, and that the bolt back out of the shift fork. With 160k on the clock, and
lots of track days "it could happen"...

Mark.
Mark,

I was really looking forward to racing in the rain and getting some practice in with the cobra. Raced in the rain with the MGB, but not yet with the cobra. Was commenting to my wife that I wish that I could have taken the dog so that she could have sat in the passenger seat with me on the track. With that being said, would still prefer dry weather at Mid Ohio.

Good luck with that transmission, the only time I ever opened one up was when I was about 20 and I had to replace the clutch on my 1974 Grand Am. Thought that I needed to check the transmission too and all of a sudden there were needle bearings and gears all over the place. How I ever got it back together right I do not know.

Jim
Old 05-31-2018, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seem's that the 5/6 in the Tremic M12 ride on a separate shaft, and that the splines have worn such that it lets the cluster slip under any load. New trans order from RPM, not that I need one that well built, but I'll feel better about it. By the way, Wilson (our dog) loves riding in the Cobra, and only tolerates the Vett. ;-).

Mark.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mid Ohio

Well, it has been an interesting weekend so far at Mid Ohio. Met some real nice people and a lot of cobra owners, and some people here for the London Cobra Show stopped by. Had four good sessions weather wise on Thursday. Interesting track, a real nice back straight, probably hit 140 on my best run there, that ends into a tight right hander and then through a series of esses. Met a good guy with a 240 Z who was paddocked next to me and had raced here many times. We did a track walk and he pointed out the dry line and the wet line. At Mid Ohio they use a sealer on the dry line to enhance grip, and it is like glass when wet. The night we talked the track it had rained earlier and you could feel the difference with your shoe between the sealed area and the regular pavement.

Friday rained most of the day and sessions were delayed and shortened. Saturday was supposed to be nice and we were out at 8 am for a qualifier, it rained for 45 minutes prior to the qualifier. The track was wet when we went out and all I had were my Hoosier Street TD's. Unfortunately my wife forgot to turn the go pro on, so I have no video, but for those of you that were thinking you could run Hoosiers on the street, forget it. After the green flag I ran the wet line and after turn two on the back straight in second gear with a mild application of throttle I did a 360, kept it on the track. From there on out it was the same, any more than a slight throttle input would break the rear end loose. People with rain tires were having a difficult go of it.

Things dried up and we were set to run a race after lunch and the skies opened up and i kept in. One race of fighting to keep the car on the track and driving slow was enough for me. It rained through half the race. Tomorrow looks better and I may try to run the 60 minute enduro. Will hopefully have some video to post after i get home.

Met a guy racing a C-4 Corvette that has built two Superformance cars. Let his grandson sit in mine and have his picture taken.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 06-23-2018 at 05:19 PM..
Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Can you tell the difference with the race screen as compared to the full windshield? Does it keep the wind/bugs/etc. off you?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-24-2018, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

It has not been that buggy, only saw one hit the race screen. Nothing in my face yet. I did notice that you get a little more wind buffeting of your helmet at high speeds, as opposed to when the windshield was in place. A definite improvement performance wise on the track, and besides, it makes the car look faster as well.

Time to get heading out.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 06-25-2018 at 06:11 AM..
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Mid Ohio Vintage Grand Prix videos

Well, I was able to get one race in on a dry track. Had to re-learn the dry line as the last time I was out had to run the wet line, which on this track is way different than just running a little off of the dry line due to the slippery nature of the sealer.

Still working out the tire pressures. Was slowly adjusting them and then was held up by the wet session as I had to drive so slow that the tires never heated up. The tires were sliding and I could feel some roll. Hot tire pressures upon completion were low. Left front and left rear were at 27 and right front was 26 right rear was 25. Going to bump up the cold pressure from 20 to 24 for the practice session at Watkins Glen in two weeks and see how that goes. It made it difficult to push it in the corners as the grip was poor.

Attached are two videos of the race. Pretty much ran by myself, so it can be boring to watch. Not a lot of dicing with other drivers. It was a small and combined group with a variety of cars, ranging from GT level cars with wings, to 427 corvettes, a few Mustang and Z28 Camaro's. My line got better as the race went on. Always a success when the car goes on the trailer in the same shape that it left it. A lot of cars left early due to one issue or another. Getting a better feel for the car and can't wait to get on a more familiar course and see how she does. First time that I have been able to run the car since early October. I do like the race screen, less wind resistance.

https://youtu.be/B8p3jRs3QXQ

https://youtu.be/g9WNa3JAeXk

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 06-25-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Old 07-12-2018, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congrats Jim on another turn on the track...

Mark.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Jim, what a pleasure speaking with you the other day. Here's wishing you a "fast' safe trip around the "Glen". If you need anything just ask, Cheers Tom.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Thanks for the support going to get the car up on jack stands soon and go over her before the next race in September.

Tom,

Nice talking to you as well. Thanks for your thoughts and guidance. Already started practicing some things.

Jim
Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A little tease and getting ready for the US Vintage Grand Prix

At the end of this race season it will be time to refresh the engine and prepare it for next years race season. Being that I have to go through the engine and check/replace parts such as bearings, springs, rings, etc. I thought it might be time for a little change to make the car more true to it's intended FIA origins. So, I contacted Jim Inglese and he is putting together a set of 48 IDA's and we will be customizing a cam to optimize performance. The fuel lines still need to be installed, bother is how it sits so far. This is the first time that Jim has made a fueling with AN fittings, looks pretty nice. Next week I should have a photo of the completed setup.

A few weeks away from the US Vintage Grand Prix. Signed up for the Enduro, which is a 60 minute race with one mandatory 5 minute pitstop. When I first signed up for it, this will be my first enduro, the enduro was scheduled at 9 am and my next race that day was at 2 pm. No problem, just need to get a fellow racer with a are suit to be there when I fuel up as there needs to be two people in fire suits, one with the gas can and the other with a 10b fire extinguisher aimed at the fuel cell. When i checked the provisional schedule yesterday, they had updated the schedule and now my race is at 8:30 and the enduro remains at 9

That means that I will have to top off the fuel cell prior to the first race, pull into the paddock, add another quick 5 gallons of fuel, grab a drink of water, relieve myself and get back on the track before the pace car completes the pace lap .

It will be fun. If anybody is going to be at the Glen for the race let me know. I am making homemade pasta and sauce for dinner Saturday night in the paddock after the races have finished. Being that the enduro is on Saturday as well, I may start dipping into the vino while I am cooking dinner

Take care,

Jim
Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Ross and I will be there and will help. I don't have a suit but I think I can borrow one for the refuel task (back in the 2.5 Trans-Am days we used dump cans and we were only fireproof if you think Levis are!)

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

Thanks. Knew that I could count on you and Ross. See you soon, and this year I am making enough pasta to feed 50 people as last year I planned for 30 and about 40 showed up and you and I had pretty scant dinners, but at least there was plenty of wine.

Jim
Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #347
Not Ranked     

Very nice! You are going to love the response of the Webers and how hard the pull through the top-end!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntgspd View Post
Very nice! You are going to love the response of the Webers and how hard the pull through the top-end!
That's exactly what I am looking for. Coming out of the corners and being able to accelerate a little quicker and to pull a little harder on uphill sections coming out of a corner. Not going to really gain anything on the topped, but should add a little to the mid-range.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As always, have a good one.

Mark.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Thanks. I think that I have figured out my race problem regarding back-to-back races with one of them being a 60 minute enduro. I will fill the 15 gallon fuel cell full for the 25 minute sprint race and then whenI come off the track go immediately to the grid and hopefully have a drink of water from a crew member and proceed out onto the track for the enduro. I have to take a 5 minute pitstop, so I will plan for it early in the race, have about 10 gallons of fuel ready at the pits and top off the tank while getting a quick stretch, check the car out and get back to racing. That should be less hectic than trying to go to the paddock, refuel and get back to the grid.

Jim
Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dropped the car off at Watkins Glen and got it through tech. Good thing that I am not racing today, there is a heat index of 103 and I was sweating just standing still. Jim Inglese finally finished my 48IDA setup and forwarded some pictures. I should have it early next week. She sure looks sweet and he is really happy on how well it came out for the first time using AN fittings.

Will have some race video pictures in the next few days.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: