Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Ruff. Ruff. Woof. Woof.

As Mr. Becker said, 75% of 2011 production is sold, so why not a $10K increase. Heck, where else can you buy a geniune Shelby Cobra, but from one of Shelby's dealers.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Ruff. Ruff. Woof. Woof.

As Mr. Becker said, 75% of 2011 production is sold, so why not a $10K increase. Heck, where else can you buy a geniune Shelby Cobra, but from one of Shelby's dealers.
Aren't the SPFs genuine Shelby Cobras too? I know Kirkhams and ERAs aren't.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCSX6000 View Post
Here in the problem lies. Suppose you have a CSX 6000 chassis equipped with a Shelby built 427 engine which was installed by a Shelby Dealer, like my car. Replica? I think not. Vintage? No. Authentic Shelby? Yes. This would be the only combination I can think of that could qualify for the current CSX series to be a authentic Shelby. Not trying to step on any toes but how else could it happen?
Could you clarify your suggested criteria for qualifying as an "authentic" Shelby Cobra (e.g., must all criteria be met, or only some)?

For example, what if a CSX 4000/6000 car has a Shelby FE block, but the engine was not built by Carroll Shelby Engine Company? Is it an authentic Shelby, or not? What about a CSX 4000/6000 that has a NOS/vintage iron 427 FE engine?

I appreciate any elucidation you can provide.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CSX6000 say's,
Quote:
...like my car. Replica? I think not.
Judge Walsh, trademark court, disagree's, would you like to appeal? In his written opinion, he found no distinctive difference between an FFR or a Shelby, both being "replica's". Inferring that all other replica manufacturers have the same status as well, that of "replica".

He did not address the value or workmanship of either marque, FFR, Shelby or any other replica on the market. He only addressed the legal status.

Is a Shelby more desireable than other replica's offered on the market because of it's brand name alone? That would be a valid assumption. It carries a terrific brand name and has a closer connection to history than other replica's. It often carries the highest respect within the market place. Market prices support the idea that a Shelby retains a higher re-sale value than other replica's on the market. The details of any given build could be argued and compared, but when the smoke has cleared they ALL have one thing in common, they are ALL replica's.

"Kit" cars essentially, all though the preferred term is "roller" in the case of a Shelby and other similiar builds. But somebody OTHER THAN the manufacturer (in any case), by Federal law, must complete the car. As it is "incomplete" when it leaves the factory, it begs the question, what is it? Roller? Kit? Replica? Shelby prefer's the word "Continuation", generally accepted by the masses, so perhaps it is becoming or has become valid? It's tricky though, as it can lead to confusion and increases the possibility of fraud, now and into the future. To suggest that it is a "real" Cobra because Shelby built it, crosses the line, in my opinion, from carefully hyped advertising term's to out right fraud.

The key being Shelby does not, cannot by Federal law, specify the end product details. Could be a Roush motor, small or big block, and a myriad of other details.

"Continuation" should be considered synonymous with the term replica, in Judge Walsh's opinion.

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-29-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Aren't the SPFs genuine Shelby Cobras too? I know Kirkhams and ERAs aren't.
First, woof, woof, ruff, ruff.

You guys know where this is headed. Right?

Don't make me get my SAAC Shelby World Registry off the shelf and recite my Kirkham Cobra's listing.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I thought SPFs had been elevated to authentic status via their licensing deal. No?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I thought SPFs had been elevated to authentic status via their licensing deal. No?
Oh stop. Come on. You know you know the answer to that one. Stop baiting folks.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA's and Kirkhams are indeed "genuine" Shelby Cobra replica's!

Beside's
...a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Oh stop. Come on. You know you know the answer to that one. Stop baiting folks.
Well if they're not (and I was under the impression they were), what more would they have had to have received from the deal in order to be considered the real thing?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well if they're not (and I was under the impression they were), what more would they have had to have received from the deal in order to be considered the real thing?
Man, you're a PITB. Where's Chas, when you need someone to be hammered.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I gave him a guest pass to the oyster bar. I thought the SPF licensing agreement included a clause that licensed SPF cars shall be considered "real Shelby Cobras" with all the rights and accoutrements associated therewith?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I gave him a guest pass to the oyster bar. I thought the SPF licensing agreement included a clause that licensed SPF cars shall be considered "real Shelby Cobras" with all the rights and accoutrements associated therewith?
You're the Energizer Bunny. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway...

In my humble opinion & in all seriousness, I'd rather own a Kirkham (if alloy) or ERA (if glass) ahead of a "Shelby" Cobra any day of the week. This on principle alone.

I respect and credit Carroll Shelby for the foresight, and ingenuity of developing the concept at the time, but hat was over 50yrs ago... and in my humble opinion there are others who have developed and are doing it better than Shelby (and for less) at the moment.

I'm not saying that the CSX4 or 6 series are bad, I'd love one, given the chance. But I'd never pay as much for one. In my eyes they are worth less than the aforementioned. I'd opt for the others if it were my money.

Am I missing something?
Original isn't always best
Neither is the most expensive...
Why pay more for less?

When it comes time to put my money down I'll be looking at buying an "Original Kirkham" ...and hey, this being the 21st Century, I might even put a modern 427 engine in it... Like say an LS7, or a modular ford

Flame suit on!!

Best regards to all.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
In my humble opinion & in all seriousness, I'd rather own a Kirkham (if alloy) or ERA (if glass) ahead of a "Shelby" Cobra any day of the week.
Kirkham and ERA owners all agree with that statement. Most of us, had we wanted a new CSX car, would have bought one.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6046 S/C 427 (482) Shelby CSX1006
Not Ranked     
Default Intresting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Could you clarify your suggested criteria for qualifying as an "authentic" Shelby Cobra (e.g., must all criteria be met, or only some)?

For example, what if a CSX 4000/6000 car has a Shelby FE block, but the engine was not built by Carroll Shelby Engine Company? Is it an authentic Shelby, or not? What about a CSX 4000/6000 that has a NOS/vintage iron 427 FE engine?

I appreciate any elucidation you can provide.
I believe firstly one would have to determine what one is trying to accomplish. Are you trying to REPLICATE a older model vehicle? In this case your FE 427 example could be valid in my opinion. Are you attempting to keep the vehicle as Shelby authentic as possible but NOT necessary REPLICATE a vintage model? In this case I believe that one would strive to make it authentic by using the example given by me in the early post. I believe that their are several ways to approach this hobby with different enthusiasts from different perspectives.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe original cars were completed in rolling chassis form and then received further mods and powertrains by another party. At no time did they sell them in multiple boxes etc.

A kit is a kit. A rolling chassis is a rolling chassis or "roller". A car is what is being sold in that auction.

If it comes from the man it is genuine. But only a car built in the 60's can be called vintage or original. The numbering system is enough to make that clarification. If you are confused, then you are in fact confused...
Old 11-29-2010, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Why I'm quietly polishing the magnesium for the winter--hammer away you three! You are all obviously having a very learned discussion-carry on!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
If it comes from the man it is genuine.
... and, presumably, if it is licensed from the man it is just as genuine as well?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

No flames here.

I pay for quality, not a name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway...

In my humble opinion & in all seriousness, I'd rather own a Kirkham (if alloy) or ERA (if glass) ahead of a "Shelby" Cobra any day of the week. This on principle alone.

I respect and credit Carroll Shelby for the foresight, and ingenuity of developing the concept at the time, but hat was over 50yrs ago... and in my humble opinion there are others who have developed and are doing it better than Shelby (and for less) at the moment.

I'm not saying that the CSX4 or 6 series are bad, I'd love one, given the chance. But I'd never pay as much for one. In my eyes they are worth less than the aforementioned. I'd opt for the others if it were my money.

Am I missing something?
Original isn't always best
Neither is the most expensive...
Why pay more for less?

When it comes time to put my money down I'll be looking at buying an "Original Kirkham" ...and hey, this being the 21st Century, I might even put a modern 427 engine in it... Like say an LS7, or a modular ford

Flame suit on!!

Best regards to all.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... and, presumably, if it is licensed from the man it is just as genuine as well?
No, it's licensed.

If this were a discussion on another product it would not be so difficult. How about a football jersey? There's original, genuine, licensed, and replicas...