LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well that's interesting. Do you spec it that way? Do you have any other Kirkham parts?
I didn't spec the car that way; that's the way it came from Shelby. And the rear-end is the only part from Kirkham (as far as I am aware).
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Why can't we all just appreciate the differences in our cars and respect one another's unique traits for what they are? You know, that each car is beautiful and flawless in it's own special way. When we all can appreciate that fact then we'll all get along, and the world will be a better place.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Why can't we all just appreciate the differences in our cars and respect one another's unique traits for what they are? You know, that each car is beautiful and flawless in it's own special way. When we all can appreciate that fact then we'll all get along, and the world will be a better place.
GASP!
This from the Torquemada of FFRs and and all things not ERA???
Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Did you forget the P.S.? You know, the one that excludes FFRs, BDRs and SPFs?

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Did you forget the P.S.? You know, the one that excludes FFRs, BDRs and SPFs?
Hmmmm, I don't even remember writing it. Perhaps my evil twin, Ratrickt, is on the loose again. You know he's quite unstable....
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well that's interesting. Do you spec it that way? Do you have any other Kirkham parts?
It's not particularly interesting - they all come with the alum diff housing.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
Hmmm, I tend to agree with you Doug. Sounds more like a gratuitous smack against the quality of the Shelby from an elitist Kirkham owner. I'm a little shocked that Rod would stoop that low....
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Go out and find 100 or even 200 Cobras, even some "originals". Line them up. I would be willing to bet that you won't find two that are alike. That's the "cool" part.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
Doug, it's not interesting to YOU. But you must realize that we're different people, right? So will you allow me to find something interesting?

I'm not familiar with what CSX's come equipped with from SAI and I have a desire to learn more about them for my own edification.

Last edited by RodKnock; 10-27-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Old 10-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I took Twoshelby's comment about the BMW frame to mean the BMW suspension. Essentially, it's the same concept. I concur, I'm not all that inspired by that particular choice as it lacks "soul". Nice car and all that, just my opinion.

Considering other suspension options: I like the Jaguar or Ford components because there is at least a tie in to the original type concept. English and Ford, it's got "soul".
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I like the Jaguar or Ford components because there is at least a tie in to the original type concept. English and Ford, it's got "soul".
... and you're thinking that the other cars have more "Seoul."
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hmmm, I tend to agree with you Doug. Sounds more like a gratuitous smack against the quality of the Shelby from an elitist Kirkham owner. I'm a little shocked that Rod would stoop that low....
Oh Puh-leeeze. Spare us the diatribe of "Can we all just get along?"

Go drill some holes in your trunk to make way for an even larger light show.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I have yet to see a Korean based replica Cobra. Hyundai? No, I don't think so!

If so, it would rank right up there with the VW examples that are around, or perhaps, a Bimmer version...

Wait,,, a V-12 BMW power plant would be worthy of investigation. I always have a soft spot for anything "over the top". Hemi, for instance, Viper V-10 OK, Jaguar V-12 would be an excellent choice!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Wait,,, a V-12 BMW power plant would be worthy of investigation. I always have a soft spot for anything "over the top". Hemi, for instance, Viper V-10 OK, Jaguar V-12 would be an excellent choice!
Well, personally I just try and get along with everyone and respect the differences in our cars. I would never throw around thinly veiled insults at Shelby quality. In fact, I respect the Shelby organization for all the positives that they have handed our hobby.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I'll try to steer this back to the original subject regarding the price increase. I believe that SA is manufacturing limited (even more so now with the demise of HST). That is, demand is exceeding supply. I do not believe there are an excess of rollers sitting in Shelby's lots, that instead all available production is going to dealers with relatively long lead times. (Dealers with inventory might have thought they had a market and be buying on spec, so there may be excess isn't in dealers' lots). If that is so one of the following will happen:

1. The change in price is a means of reducing demand to existing capacity. Some customers will drop off the list, but some will remain. The price increase will level off the demand and stabilize the waiting time.

2. It was an overall bad choice and more customers will leave than needed to stabilize capacity to demand, resulting in overproduction. Either capacity or prices will be reduced to adjust.

If the price increase holds up, then I would expect that others manufacturers of equal quality will seek to increase their prices as well (as it is shown the market can bear it), and they would be faced with similar concerns of capacity leveling.

There is not a lot of TAM (Total Available Market) in this space, so the shuffling of 10s or 100s of units is all we're looking at. But in this respect, Cobras are a commodity and this is a commodity move.

If the price increase holds, then this is part of the invisible inflation we know it's there but aren't supposed to talk about it) as that is what I just described.

And yes, I meant BMW suspensions. It makes me wince as much as using a GM engine. It's not to say they can't be beautiful on the outside.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 10-27-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From 11/04/2009:

Quote:
Both SPF and BDR are basically crap.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

1. The change in price is a means of reducing demand to existing capacity. Some customers will drop off the list, but some will remain. The price increase will level off the demand and stabilize the waiting time.
I am not under the impression that CSX demand from SA exceeds capacity right now......

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_becker View Post
As a factory authorized Shelby Cobra CSX dealer I have the last seven (7) HST built CSX Cobras at SAI factory, in Las Vegas, being finished up - Until December 1st I will offer them for the old price of $ 49,995.00 (+ options) - They are as follows:

CSX 6063 - Color and options TBD by EOM

CSX 6065 - Navy Blue

CSX 6066 - Guardsman blue

CSX 6067 - LeMans Blue

CSX 6068 - Russo F-1 Red

CSX 6069 - Guardsman Blue w/ Wimbledon White LeMans stripes

CSX 6070 - framed and raw body - customer can pick color and options by EOM 11/2010
Here are seven CSX's available. I wish I had some extra money lying around, I'd buy one, but right after I bought Allen English's RCR 40.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
From 11/04/2009:

That was not me. That was my evil twin Ratrick. I would never needlessly disparage other makes of cars just for mindless kicks.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

There is a guy in Texas who has a very well built FF5 with a detuned BMW V12
with twin turbos (detuned down from 1000 to 700 range). Very clean build.
It has been done.