12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Hmmm, I have been shoping for a new 5th wheel and prices are down. Good luck with the price increase...
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

THREE days left!!

Save $ 10,000.00 on genuine Carroll Shelby built CSX 6000 427 S/C Cobras

www.goplanetcobra.com

SGB
Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
....genuine Carroll Shelby built CSX
Well at least that's an honest description, for a Shelby built REPLICA.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_becker View Post
THREE days left!!

Save $ 10,000.00 on genuine Carroll Shelby built CSX 6000 427 S/C Cobras

www.goplanetcobra.com

SGB
Gotta say I hate your website . How bout some inventory and info I can't get everywhere else ? On a different note, another great article in the new Shelby mag , Kudos .
SDR
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Look, I hate to be negative, I love all things Shelby, but here's the problem.

From the web site in the News section:

Quote:
Planet Cobra to Sell Genuine 427 Shelby Cobra at 3rd Annual Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas Auction
September/2010PLANET COBRA TO SELL GENUINE 427 SHELBY COBRA AT 3RD ANNUAL BARRETT-JACKSON LAS VEGAS AUCTION

The car being sold is CSX6060, a modern Shelby replica. Words like "genuine", "continuation", "real Shelby" are embarrasing. The headline in this case gives one the feeling that it's a genuine real Shelby Cobra from the 60's, a CSX3000 series car. Of course it is not. I just find it uncomfortable to be associated with a group, replica Cobra owners, (including of course, Shelby American) associated with this kind of misleading and confusing terminology. I would feel far more comfortable with an accurate, real, genuine, description of the cars Shelby sell's today.

Last edited by Excaliber; 11-28-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post

Words like "genuine", "continuation", "real Shelby" are embarrasing.
I don't know about that. It's marketing and is certainly true, although obviously an uninformed buyer/bidder could interpret it to mean an original car. Seems to me that Shelby and Shelby's dealers are well within their rights to market their cars as "real shelbys" - it is in fact called a "continuation series".

I certainly don't want another thread on real vs original vs replica, etc, but this language doesn't seem out of line to me. Anyway, my $.02.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, it's honest in the same way Clinton "didn't have sex" with that women...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

........(ahem.)
Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If Carroll Shelby had not brought about the Cobra from AC Cars to Ford then AC cars would have just been a (very) small foot-note in past English automotive manufactures history and none of what you see here would be in existance today - Pretty simple - Carroll Shelby made the original in the 1960's and still makes them today.............
Old 11-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW - less then two days to go and 3/4 of 2011 Shelby Cobra production is already sold-out - orders are pouring in from all over the world and people are VERY excited about owning a genuine Shelby Cobra 427 S/C.

Don't get left behind and miss a $ 10,000.00 window of oppertunity that closes at 5pm EST on Tuesday.

sgb
Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedayaurora View Post
Gotta say I hate your website . How bout some inventory and info I can't get everywhere else ? On a different note, another great article in the new Shelby mag , Kudos .
SDR
We are still working out the website issues and appreciate your comments
Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post

The car being sold is CSX6060, a modern Shelby replica. Words like "genuine", "continuation", "real Shelby" are embarrasing. The headline in this case gives one the feeling that it's a genuine real Shelby Cobra from the 60's, a CSX3000 series car. Of course it is not. I just find it uncomfortable to be associated with a group, replica Cobra owners, (including of course, Shelby American) associated with this kind of misleading and confusing terminology. I would feel far more comfortable with an accurate, real, genuine, description of the cars Shelby sell's today.
Feel free to take a stab at re-writing the information that I have posted - Words like , real, genuine and continuation are 100% correct as to the facts so I am not sure how you would write it but feel free to do so.........
Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Planet Cobra to Sell Genuine 427 Shelby Cobra replica at 3rd Annual Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas Auction
September/2010PLANET COBRA TO SELL GENUINE 427 SHELBY COBRA REPLICA AT 3RD ANNUAL BARRETT-JACKSON LAS VEGAS AUCTION

Simple: It's a genuine Shelby Cobra replica, or if you prefer, kit. A car sold without a motor or transmission by Shelby American. Unlike the originals which were completed vehicles and marketed through Ford. Such wording would immediately clear up any confusion as to what the product being offered for sale actually is. A by-product of this policy, if followed by Shelby American, would make it much more difficult for dealers to try and pass off a replica as a real 1960's vintage Cobra.

This total honesty approach would ultimately reward Shelby American with an increased respect within the market place and in turn, an increase in sales. It would be a good step in healing the grievous wounds that have been inflicted on it's reputation by years of law suits and by years of controversy. Many people WANT to believe in Shelby, WANT to be proud of the man and his product. I believe the people would welcome such a refreshing approach with open arms. I know I would! But the continual "slick willy" sales approach, the denial of reality (as expressed by the trademark court) makes that difficult for ALL concerned.

Be proud of the product for what it is, a genuine Shelby Cobra "kit", there is no shame in that, embrace it! Shelby really can compete with the best the industry has to offer in terms of replica's and kit's. It really can stand on it's own. It's future respect can be increased accordingly. And that's just good business.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the write-up - I will pass it on to the powers that be at SAI -

Speaking for myself I make no attempt to pass the car off as a car that was built in the 1960's - I make it very clear that this car is a continuation and I even take the mic, on stage, at the auctions, and tell the audience exactly what the car is (and what it is not)

I do not consider the car to be a kit-car as a kit-car implies a car from a kit which this car is not - it is a fully built and finished car that is shelby-factory built missing only the engine and drive-line which is not considered to be a kit car -

Cheers!

SGB
Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree, the term "kit" is some what misleading and has for the most part, in recent years, fallen out of common use here on Club Cobra. It carries a negative connotation for many. Never the less, even with a "roller" (a more accurate term for an SPF, BDR or Shelby) it is not entirely inaccurate. A customer can still finish the end product to suit his personal taste and choices, install the running gear and other accessories. This is in essence a "kit".

There are even some examples of an authorized Shelby Cobra built entirely by a private party, not a roller from Shelby. A collection of pieces, though that is rare and I'm not certain one could do that today. I know personally of a CSX8000 series car built that way and an original Kirkham that "morphed" into a Shelby, with a CSX number, along the way. Neither left the Shelby factory as a roller.

I would expect HQ to be loath to even consider the term "replica" applied to a Shelby Cobra product, certainly not the term "kit". But I thought it important enough to at least make some suggestions as to terminology.

I'm proud of my ERA, for what it is, a genuine replica of a Shelby Cobra. I sense that feeling is becoming more profound for other replica's as well. The desire for a Cobra emblem on the hood or trunk is slowly being replaced by a desire for a badge of the actual manufacturer. Others prefer an AC type badging. BDR and ERA owners, in particular have been asking specifically for an emblem that reflects the manufacturer. If I had a Shelby Cobra, I'd be proud to display the appropriate Shelby Cobra badging. Just keeping it real...
Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Raising the price of a CSX Cobra in this economy = CRAZYNESS!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6046 S/C 427 (482) Shelby CSX1006
Not Ranked     
Default Proper terminology

Here in the problem lies. Suppose you have a CSX 6000 chassis equipped with a Shelby built 427 engine which was installed by a Shelby Dealer, like my car. Replica? I think not. Vintage? No. Authentic Shelby? Yes. This would be the only combination I can think of that could qualify for the current CSX series to be a authentic Shelby. Not trying to step on any toes but how else could it happen?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I certainly don't want another thread on real vs original vs replica, etc, but this language doesn't seem out of line to me. Anyway, my $.02.
Oh come on. Yes you do. I know you do. How else will we get Evan out of hiding? He certainly didn't take the bait when the judge ruled against Shelby in the case against FFR.

As for the price increase, it's America and there's only a couple days left.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

As I said before, Shelby doesn't make any money on these cars.

Building cars for Ford and selling parts for Mustangs is where the money is.

He doesn't give a rats butt if he ever sells another Cobra. Too much time and too little profit involved.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
How else will we get Evan out of hiding? He certainly didn't take the bait when the judge ruled against Shelby in the case against FFR.
Evan is not easily baited. Certainly not like some of the other characters around here who jump just like the dog on Thanksgiving when the turkey came out. Although I do remember getting a pretty good reaction out of him when I threatened to dent his aluminum.