LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Why has Superformance changed the differential as supplied in their cars at various times in thier production run if it costs the same no matter which diff they use?
When a builder like SPF or Shelby changes a part, it could be due to the fact their supplier is no longer going to manufacture that component. I think that was the case regarding the rear end change that SPF made.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

FYI i believe Hi-Tech AZ is now Sagebrush and a 289 Hi-tech is on the for sale page.. Very Nice..
SDR

http://www.sagebrushroadsters.com/

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=3218&cat=2
________
Michigan Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:42 PM..
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I dont care how much they raise the prices for the new Shelby Cobras.....
they wount be getting any of my cash.....
the originals are the only ones i would consider buying anyway.....
i'll stick with what i have its just as good or better than what
they are makeing now...
never was much of a fan of C.S. anyway.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I think Rodney and a few others have been on target regarding this choice. Purchasing/owning a CSX, at least to me, is more about prominence. You hear the guys on the Speed Channel mention that continuously when the BJ auctions are on. If prominence is your primary motivation and you can afford to ante up, then why not? More power to you. Sure, the average Joe on the street won't know the difference, But it's your money, so who really cares what others think?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Question

[quote=somedayaurora;1085705]FYI i believe Hi-Tech AZ is now Sagebrush and a 289 Hi-tech is on the for sale page.. Very Nice..
SDR

Do you know if they bought all the tooling for the
Hi-Tech Cobras or just molds? Maybe it is a former owner or employee that started up a business,

Hersh
Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Ask a different person, get a different answer. I have heard all of the following answers to this question:

1) The best cars were the early 4000 series cars built in LV.

2) The early 4000 cars built in LV had lots of issues due to inconsistent manufacturing and lack of overall organization at the facility.

3) Cars have been built by HST nearly since the beginning and the quality is the best, better than LV built cars and some of the bigger dealers (George Anderson at Gessford and Stephen Becker at Planet Cobra to name two) specify HST-only cars.

4) HST has quality issues and Hi-Tech (SA) is a more sophisticated factory, therefore SA builds cars are better. (I know people that have toured the Hi-Tech factory and say it is very impressive)

I have never actually heard anyone back up any of these statements with empirical evidence. So your guess is as good as mine. Who knows?
I had some work done on my SPF at a place that was a Shelby dealer, and the owner owns an aluminum CSX 4000. This guy is well respected and has worked on several original Cobras. He had some really bad things to say about the cars built in Mexico. He told me had to almost completely rebuild one of the cars he received from Mexico, and refused to take delivery of cars from them after that. That is one specific story I been told...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
I think Rodney and a few others have been on target regarding this choice. Purchasing/owning a CSX, at least to me, is more about prominence. You hear the guys on the Speed Channel mention that continuously when the BJ auctions are on. If prominence is your primary motivation and you can afford to ante up, then why not? More power to you. Sure, the average Joe on the street won't know the difference, But it's your money, so who really cares what others think?
It's Provenance. It has to do with the documented history of the vehicle (or any other collectible).
Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
Do you mean "provenance", not "prominence"?

I have a question about the CSX. Do you get an original type suspension with the Girling brakes included in the $49,995 price (soon to be $59,995)?

The Kirkhams used to charge (they may still, dunno) customers an additional $16,000 (retail) or thereabouts on top of their well-optioned base model.

Personally, I wouldn't want the original type suspension and certainly wouldn't pay $16,000 extra for it, but for the purist, at $49,995 that would seem like a good deal.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

When you buy one of these due diligence of them will really wake you up.

I immediately excluded any Backdraft or other do it your self kit. (1) I didn't want to put it together and (2) I saw some cars that were so poorly assembled it was pitiful. I've seen bondo repairs that looked better than the overall quality of the vehicle. I'm not picking on BD or any other, but on the assemblers. I saw two at a car show this fall and they were pathetic. And a Cobra body on a Mustang II or BMW frame ain't a Cobra to me.

So that leaves the assembled rollers. Kirkhams are beautiful. Aluminum doesn't work for me - hail is a big problem here. That left Superformance and Shelby. Option them up the same and they were within $5K of each other. For that I'll take the Shelby. Add carbon fiber for almost no difference and that's what I settled on. Additionally the steering wheel on the Superformances all hit me on the lap. All said you can remove the seat slider rails - nope. The Shelby fit. Choice made.

Hey, the engine is a problem, but that's all sorted out now. And if I lived almost anywhere else in the country it would have been a much faster fix.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I have a question about the CSX. Do you get an original type suspension with the Girling brakes included in the $49,995 price (soon to be $59,995)?

The Kirkhams used to charge (they may still, dunno) customers an additional $16,000 (retail) or thereabouts on top of their well-optioned base model.

Personally, I wouldn't want the original type suspension and certainly wouldn't pay $16,000 extra for it, but for the purist, at $49,995 that would seem like a good deal.
Rodnknock,
With a Shelby you get the original suspension with (I believe) Baer brakes, not Girlings.
And I'm also pretty sure that Kirkham still charges that premium for original style suspension. I love the billet suspension and all the 'updates' of a Kirkham, that was a big reason for me choosing a KMP over CSX (glass). But if I wanted a more 'original' car I would've gotten a CSX (glass-for budget reasons) and still been very happy.
But there's another faction that's interesting: What about the guys who buy Kirkhams with original suspension and paint them? How does THAT compare to a Shelby Ally price wise? Did anyone here do it?
rodneym
Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone know what the optional cost to a CSX would be if Girlings were added?

Also, with the Kirkham, you get their aluminum rear end, what rear end do you get with a CSX?

I almost purchased a used fiberglass CSX many moons ago, so it was amongst my choices. Ultimately, I wanted an aluminum body, the various Kirkham updates as well as the lightness of the billet suspension and aluminum rear end.

Also, what helped matters, was the consistency of nearly all of the Kirkhams being built in Provo, UT.

Last edited by RodKnock; 10-25-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
With a Shelby you get the original suspension with (I believe) Baer brakes, not Girlings.
You are correct, they come with Baer brakes now, although I think some of the early 4,000 series came with the Girling brakes. Not sure the Girling brakes are even an option from Shelby anymore.

By the way, if I had gone with a Kirkham, I probably would have been one of the few that had it painted. I prefer the painted look, although I like the alloy on other people's cars, but then it just doesn't seem right to paint a Kirkham (and answering questions about why I painted it might have gotten old after a while).

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I immediately excluded any Backdraft or other do it your self kit. (1) I didn't want to put it together and (2) I saw some cars that were so poorly assembled it was pitiful. I've seen bondo repairs that looked better than the overall quality of the vehicle. I'm not picking on BD or any other, but on the assemblers. I saw two at a car show this fall and they were pathetic. And a Cobra body on a Mustang II or BMW frame ain't a Cobra to me.
So much for an informed post I think you have Backdraft confused with companies that sell kits... and let me know when you find a Cobra on a BMW frame???
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
So much for an informed post I think you have Backdraft confused with companies that sell kits... and let me know when you find a Cobra on a BMW frame???
You've never heard of the Bim-bra or the Cobr-immer?

Doug, I love red, blue with white stripes and black painted Cobras. One reason I chose unpainted is because I wouldn't have been able to make up my mind about a color scheme let alone a particular shade of color. I chose sanity first. I think psychologists call it "avoidance."
Old 10-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think psychologists call it "avoidance."
Indecision.......the key to flexibility!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... I wanted an aluminum body, the various Kirkham updates as well as the lightness of the billet suspension and aluminum rear end.
600 HP and all this lightness so it presses less forcefully on the garage floor, Knocker??
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by era chas View Post
600 hp and all this lightness so it presses less forcefully on the garage floor, knocker??
Good one!

Last edited by Got the Bug; 10-25-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium/Black BDR934, Ford
Not Ranked     

Why can't some people learn to justify spending their own money simply on the merits of the product they bought instead of bashing everything else to make their purchase seem more reasonable? that is a much more elegant and polite way of going about business in life
I Don't want to get into a pissing match here but please at least get your facts straight if you are going to bash a product .. Backdraft is not a kit nor is it an owner assembled car nor it has a BMW frame on it; that makes you 0-3 on the accuracy of your statements . Hope you know the facts about Shelby a little better
BTW; I did go personally to the Shelby factory to compare their products to others prior to deciding on something else for myself and I still don't feel I need to bash what I saw there with my own eyes, not hearsay, not from the wife of my second cousin who knows another guy who may or may not know anything about the car I am bashing...
Congratulations on your Shelby, they are beautiful cars that you can certainly be proud of but I personally like mine better and that is ok too...

FLAME SUIT ON AND RUNNING FOR COVER...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
When you buy one of these due diligence of them will really wake you up.

So that leaves the assembled rollers. Kirkhams are beautiful. Aluminum doesn't work for me - hail is a big problem here. That left Superformance and Shelby. Option them up the same and they were within $5K of each other. For that I'll take the Shelby. Add carbon fiber for almost no difference and that's what I settled on. Additionally the steering wheel on the Superformances all hit me on the lap. All said you can remove the seat slider rails - nope. The Shelby fit. Choice made.

Hey, the engine is a problem, but that's all sorted out now. And if I lived almost anywhere else in the country it would have been a much faster fix.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Doug, I love red, blue with white stripes and black painted Cobras. One reason I chose unpainted is because I wouldn't have been able to make up my mind about a color scheme let alone a particular shade of color. I chose sanity first. I think psychologists call it "avoidance."
I thought you chose it because it would reflect the light better in your garage so you can see when you're kicking back in a lawn chair with a beer enjoying your car.....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I thought you chose it because it would reflect the light better in your garage so you can see when you're kicking back in a lawn chair with a beer enjoying your car.....
OK, not piling on here....but the garage door stays closed. RodKnock monitors his car through a security camera in the comfort of his security bunker.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 10-25-2010 at 07:22 PM..