Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   I think I'm going to get back in the game... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/109471-i-think-im-going-get-back-game.html)

blykins 03-04-2011 06:39 PM

I kinda like the idea of people buying me things.....

Who's going to chip in on the Edelbrock heads? ;)

Here's the Toploader that will be going behind the FE...

Y'all with the sharp eyes tell me what's different about it...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_0113-1.jpg

RodKnock 03-04-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1113837)
Now Chas., do you really think I'd attach strings to my largess?

Yeah, I leave that comment about your "largess" with strings alone. :p

Brent, what's the blue thingee on the tailhousing?

blykins 03-04-2011 07:22 PM

It's a 90° AN fitting for a tailhousing vent.

I'm using a Jerico top cover on this transmission that doesn't have a vent in it. I had to improvise with a drill and tap.

See any other differences?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_0108-2.jpg

RodKnock 03-04-2011 07:28 PM

The shaft and gear thingee almost look like plastic.

blykins 03-04-2011 07:32 PM

They have been tumbled and cleaned. It's amazing what clean metal looks like, huh?

The 3rd and 4th gears of this transmission have been face plated. This is one of my "Saturday Night Special" Toploaders, where 1st/2nd are still synchronized for easier street driving, but 3rd/4th are all business. Instead of dozens of synchronizer engagement teeth, you have 7. No chance of a missed gear going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th....just tap the clutch, shove, and you're done.

slider701 03-04-2011 07:42 PM

Who's gear sets are you using? Jerico? Years ago I've heard my dad talk about the "Dog Boxes" they used to make by cutting off every other tooth on the syncros but have never saw what one looks like with real engineered parts.

blykins 03-04-2011 07:44 PM

These are factory (or replacement) Toploader gears that are modified by Liberty Gears. They take the gears, grind the engagement teeth off, then weld their own piece on.

The beauty here is that you can use an old chewed up Toploader gear since the engagement teeth are not needed.

tkb289 03-04-2011 08:03 PM

Brent,

Sounds like a great project :D

... and with the all-star cast of characters in the peanut gallery, one heck of an entertaining thread :):)

- Tim

blykins 03-05-2011 04:05 AM

I have two words: 1. free 2. cam

;)

patrickt 03-05-2011 06:46 AM

But Wait, There's More!

I went down in to the basement this morning and raided my personal stash for you. I'm also throwing in two bottles of the good stuff. Here you go (dog not included):

http://208.255.159.239/camlube001.jpg

ERA Chas 03-05-2011 06:59 AM

---ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's starting already.

I now hate you Brent-any of us would have gladly paid for your whole engine to prevent this.

blykins 03-05-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1113952)
---ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's starting already.

I now hate you Brent-any of us would have gladly paid for your whole engine to prevent this.

ROFL....

Patrick, I'll pass on the EOS....

patrickt 03-05-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1113954)
Patrick, I'll pass on the EOS....

Ohhh that is not EOS, this is EOS (which I mix with my Brad Penn oil). That Camshaft and Lifter Prelube is liquid gold, but I will leave it up to you as to whether you use it or not. I'm merely leading the horse to the proverbial water.:rolleyes: I will include it with the camshaft. Now, if you choose to do nothing more than oil the hinge on your barn door with it, so be it.:cool:

http://208.255.159.239/eos001.jpg

ERA Chas 03-05-2011 07:26 AM

Are you liking your new dress yet Brent??

patrickt 03-05-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1113959)
Are you liking your new dress yet Brent??

Now Chas., you realize that you will cross the line if you refer to Brent as "a sportin' girl." Them there would be fightin' words.:cool:

blykins 03-05-2011 07:42 AM

Patrick, ever seen the movie, "Quigley Down Under" ?

If so, remember at the end where Matthew Quigley kills the head bad guy with a handgun....and the bad guy looks at him with questions in his eyes as his life fades away? Let Matthew's reply come back to you...."I just said that I didn't prefer a handgun, it doesn't mean that I don't know how to use one."

;)

RodKnock 03-05-2011 10:04 AM

I'm having a difficult time understanding why you would base your decision, on one of the most important parts in your engine, on the fact that it's free. What does a custom nitrided camshaft run? About $150-$200? That's like an average bar tab at Patrick's local oyster bar.

Now if you're just running an elaborate "deek", ultimately using the solid lifter camshaft as a living room art piece, or maybe a paperweight for your work desk, then please proceed. Honor, schmoner.

RodKnock 03-05-2011 10:07 AM

By the way, what's up with the gratuitous camera shots of the white dog? Did the dog just happen to follow you around the house as you took your hand model photos with your lube?

patrickt 03-05-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1113995)
By the way, what's up with the gratuitous camera shots of the white dog? Did the dog just happen to follow you around the house as you took your hand model photos with your lube?

Uhhh, I just love my dog. And she likes to see herself on the internet.:cool:

blykins 03-05-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1113994)
What does a custom nitrided camshaft run? About $150-$200?

Uh, a little more than that....that's why I offered to pay for it.