Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   I think I'm going to get back in the game... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/109471-i-think-im-going-get-back-game.html)

blykins 03-07-2011 10:59 AM

Patrick, what was the lead time with the nitriding?

I just ordered a custom hydraulic roller from them last week and they said about 4-5 days lead time.

patrickt 03-07-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114474)
Patrick, what was the lead time with the nitriding?

Richard didn't say, but he seemed quite matter of fact about doing it so I doubt it's more than a couple of days, if that.

RodKnock 03-08-2011 04:35 PM

First never trust a Richard. There's Richard Nixon, Richard at Halibrand.............:LOL:

BTW, is this a "billet" cam core?

blykins 03-08-2011 04:39 PM

LOL...

This one is not billet.....but it is nitrided. Too bad someone can't donate a set of Schubecks...... ;)

Patrick...

On the record, I do appreciate you doing this for me and I thank you. However, let me reiterate (and hold the same position that I always have) that I will not use a flat tappet cam in a customer's engine. Just so you know. ;)

patrickt 03-08-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114758)
However, let me reiterate (and hold the same position that I always have) that I will not use a flat tappet cam in a customer's engine. Just so you know. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm trying to think of an "inverse shoemaker's children" parable.:cool:

patrickt 03-08-2011 04:47 PM

And for those Schubeck lifters, I'm going to let Mr. Moneybags RodKnock step up to the plate on those for you....:cool:

RodKnock 03-08-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114758)
LOL...

This one is not billet.....but it is nitrided. Too bad someone can't donate a set of Schubecks...... ;)

While we're wishing, how about some Jessel or T&D roller rockers too.

You're more knowledgable than I, Brent, but I always thought that the Crower lifters were really nice pieces.

blykins 03-08-2011 04:50 PM

Ah c'mon Pat, they're only $745 for a set....

No break-in required... ;)

blykins 03-08-2011 04:53 PM

R/K

The Schubeck lifters are composite. Some are tool steel. I have never used a set but the general consensus is that there is no break-in required and even if you swap camshafts, you just throw the lifters right back in and keep on truckin'.

As for roller lifters, then yes, the Crower or Isky lifters are the ticket...

patrickt 03-08-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114770)
The Schubeck lifters are composite. I have never used a set but the general consensus is that there is no break-in required and even if you swap camshafts, you just throw the lifters right back in and keep on truckin'.

Gimmick. They cost ten times what my Elgin solid lifters cost. If you're replacing the cam, just replace the lifters.

blykins 03-08-2011 04:58 PM

No gimmick....

My dyno operator swears by them...

Throw your Elgins in without break-in oil, cam lube, rain dance, etc., and see if they live.

patrickt 03-08-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114775)
No gimmick....

My dyno operator swears by them...

Throw your Elgins in without break-in oil, cam lube, rain dance, etc., and see if they live.

Ahhh, so you will build a SFT for a customer if they spring for the Schubeck lifters as well?%/

blykins 03-08-2011 05:01 PM

Wow, that was a stretch....

No go buddy.

patrickt 03-08-2011 05:52 PM

I suppose if you were swapping cams a lot they would indeed pay for themselves. What lifters are you planning on using?

YerDugliness 03-08-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114770)
The Schubeck lifters are composite. Some are tool steel. I have never used a set but the general consensus is that there is no break-in required and even if you swap camshafts, you just throw the lifters right back in and keep on truckin'.

Not trying to take the thread off track, Brent, but this is intriguing! Tell us more, please!

I watched a friend destroy an FE once, he replaced the cam and put the old lifters back in. As he was getting ready to start it up, I told him he couldn't do that, but he scoffed. 30 minutes later he was wondering why the engine had self-destructed.

Imagine the savings for someone who changes cams frequently!!

Cheers from Dugly :cool:

RodKnock 03-08-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114777)
Wow, that was a stretch....

No go buddy.

I like the nickname "Stretch" for Patrick, since 75% of his conclusions tend to be 100% wrong. :LOL:

I've heard of Shubecks, but never ever have I heard of anyone using them.

Elgins? What kind of off brand is that? ;)

blykins 03-09-2011 01:49 AM

Patrick, I haven't got that far yet...probably Comp Cams. I'm not paying for Schubecks. I see they do have a tool steel version for about $550, but still....

patrickt 03-09-2011 04:39 AM

Elgin, Schmelgin...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1114814)
Elgins? What kind of off brand is that? ;)

Actually, I'm not even sure that my lifters are Elgins, I know my cam is though. Back at the time my engine was being built there was a lifter problem, so finding good lifters was tricky - I vaguely remember discussing Johnson lifters at the time. Truthfully, I'm not sure what's in there. There are two different "Elgin" companies. Dimitri Elgin is one of those "founding father" cam guys, like Crane. There is also an Elgin Industries in Elgin, IL. They are a big glob of an auto parts manufacturer -- they make every single auto part ever known to man. My cam comes from this big glob company, not from Mr. Elgin. When it comes to SFT cams, all the cores come from two sources anyway, so I don't think it makes a huge difference, unless you're buying from "Fly-by-Night Cams."

Elgin Cams: http://www.elgincams.com/index.html
Elgin Industries: http://www.elginind.com/ourcompany.html

RodKnock 03-09-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1114877)
Actually, I'm not even sure that my lifters are Elgins, I know my cam is though.

For someone so fastidious, to not know what lifters are in your engine seems incongruous.

I think Brent is noodling you towards buying the discounted Shubecks for him. :LOL:

patrickt 03-09-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1114922)
I think Brent is noodling you towards buying the discounted Shubecks for him. :LOL:

Ya think?:CRY: