Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   I think I'm going to get back in the game... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/109471-i-think-im-going-get-back-game.html)

olddog 03-05-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1113611)
This may have to be one of those projects where I buy a frame and drool over it for a little while, then buy the body, etc.

Remember the last one. With the car and you separated by some miles it was taking too long and you gave up (at least that was my interpretation). You may want to build the drive train and pick up a used car or near complete kit that someone quit on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1113611)
I think I also want to use an 8.8 IRS instead of the Jag or 9" stuff. What I have planned for this engine will require a little more than the typical 3.31 or 3.54 rear gears. ;)

I saw a 9" Ford built into an IRS at the Carlisle (SP?) show. A few years back. Looked like the best all around "eat your cake and have it too" that I have seen.

slider701 03-05-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1113958)

That's not a dog..........that's one of those things you stick on your hand to dust your car off with......

blykins 03-05-2011 12:04 PM

I'm in a little different spot than I was back then. I should have no problem doing the car here....and yes, it would be less stressful.

Those 9" IRS center sections are $$$$....

olddog 03-05-2011 12:13 PM

I never saw a price tag, but I expect it is big bucks.

I was thinking along the lines of using an Explorer IRS and then substituting a 9" center section, where the 8.8 was. Never got far enough to determine the ease to do or the cost.

I expect the Explorer IRS would hold up if the tires didn't get too much bite. But then why build ~445 inch FE if you cannot hook it to the ground?

slider701 03-05-2011 12:24 PM

Has anyone ever looked at using the Expedition center section and modified half shafts??

Or is the 10.5" center section way too big?

The 9" definitely has the advantage that you could change out gear ratios a lot quicker by swapping out third member with a spare

blykins 03-05-2011 12:31 PM

I'm definitely going IRS on this one. I just like the stance of the cars better. Some aftermarket half-shafts should help with strength.

The 9" IRS is too rich for my blood....and I need the plethora of ratios and differentials that are available for the 8.8's.

olddog 03-05-2011 01:04 PM

Your probably right. I have heard of half shafts breaking, but never heard of an 8.8" breaking on the street. I'm sure they have, but a 9" can break too.

blykins 03-05-2011 01:11 PM

There are 9 second Mustangs running 8.8's with C-clip eliminators, so they have to be pretty strong.

I don't need much for my 300hp 445 anyway...:3DSMILE:

patrickt 03-05-2011 02:22 PM

The Updated Cam Lobe Profiles

OK, Brent has updated the lobe specifications. Here are my instructions, as I understand them. I'll place the order on Monday.

A custom solid flat tappet camshaft for a Ford FE core by Bullet Cams.

Both Intake and Exhaust lobes shall be FF284/357.

Lobe Separation Angle shall be 110 degrees.

The cam should be ground with 6 degrees advance so that when installed the intake center line will be 104 degrees and the exhaust center line will be 116 degrees.

If the lobes are not already nitrided, have them do that as well.

-------------------

FWIW, the FF284/357 lobes are spec'd at

Advertised --- 284 degrees
At .050 --- 255 degrees
At .200 --- 169 degrees
Lift .3570
Lash .011
Type CRA

gsharapa 03-05-2011 03:41 PM

Good to see you are coming back....I built 5 of these and jumped out my self 5 years ago and missed driving Cobra every since. Stayed active on the site and the Cobra buddies here in Dallas and decided to do a 6th one and just finished it. Good luck with your build......

blykins 03-05-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1114041)
OK, Brent has updated the lobe specifications. Here are my instructions, as I understand them. I'll place the order on Monday.

A custom solid flat tappet camshaft for a Ford FE core by Bullet Cams.

Both Intake and Exhaust lobes shall be FF284/357.

Lobe Separation Angle shall be 110 degrees.

The cam should be ground with 6 degrees advance so that when installed the intake center line will be 104 degrees and the exhaust center line will be 116 degrees.

If the lobes are not already nitrided, have them do that as well.

-------------------

FWIW, the FF284/357 lobes are spec'd at

Advertised --- 284 degrees
At .050 --- 255 degrees
At .200 --- 169 degrees
Lift .3570
Lash .011
Type CRA

I think you put a few words in my mouth, Patrick....my message to you was way shorter than that....LOL

Just so you know, if you want to "speak the lingo" when you order this cam, you don't have to give them the intake centerline and exhaust centerline. Just give them the core, lobe numbers, LSA, and how much advance you want.

When you give an LSA and advance, it's understood what the intake centerline is....then the LSA is the ICL and ECL added together divided by 2. I don't want Richard thinking you're a ying-yang. ;)

patrickt 03-05-2011 05:07 PM

I only added that for ERAChas so that he would understand. He's always had a mental block when it came to cam events, TDC, BDC, and the like.:cool:

ERA Chas 03-05-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blykins (Post 1114078)
I don't want Richard thinking you're a ying-yang. ;)

Why not? This ENTIRE FORUM knows he's a ying-yang:LOL::LOL::LOL:

patrickt 03-05-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1114083)
Why not? This ENTIRE FORUM knows he's a ying-yang:LOL::LOL::LOL:

And I bet you don't know what crunk rap is, do you?:p

blykins 03-05-2011 06:11 PM

Patrick, you're too white to be talking like that...

You know, it still doesn't make sense to me why you're buying a cam for me from a company that I have an account with...LOL

I sure am glad that I'm the one that started this thread. I would feel very guilty otherwise.

patrickt 03-05-2011 06:22 PM

Honestly, I could see Chas., RodKnock and me all at a Ying Yang Twins concert with no trouble whatsoever.:cool: I think it would be a lot of fun.

blykins 03-05-2011 06:27 PM

Alright, let's try to get this thread back on track....

ERA Chas 03-05-2011 07:39 PM

Brent-how do you get out to 445-Scat cast crank? Bore x stroke?

RodKnock 03-05-2011 10:16 PM

Well, when I'm building my next engine, Patrick better offer to pay for both my cams. ;)

OK back to your build, we know its going to have a 445 with an antiquated low HP cam, which will slowly whittle itself away, Ed heads, plus a Toploader and 8.8" IRS rear end.

What type of roller rockers? PRW's? Ersons (saved/put aside, since they're no longer made)? T&D's?

Can we talk fuel induction? What are talking about here? Single, dual or Weber carbs or EFI?

blykins 03-06-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1114101)
Brent-how do you get out to 445-Scat cast crank? Bore x stroke?

Yes, Scat cast crank. 4.080" x 4.250".

I haven't decided on the rocker arms yet. I do sell a lot of the PRW stuff and they look/work really well. Since I'm not going the solid roller route, I don't need anything overly special.

As for induction, the last FE that I did for myself had a Tunnel Wedge. I think I'll take the easy way out this time and go with a Victor intake with one nicely sized Quick Fuel carb.

I need to get this old nasty 360 knocked apart and baked/blasted.

My goal is to hit about 600hp at around 6500. The heads will play the biggest role in that.

I'm starting a 528ci BBF with Kaase Boss 9 heads probably the end of this week. Whatever I get with the 445FE will be minute in comparison to the power that this thing will put out. We're aiming for about 725-750hp at a tad under 6000 rpm. Yes, I'll be jaded. I bought a Bullet hydraulic ROLLER for that engine... ;)

And this:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/IMG_0116.jpg