Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Not all had the 5.0

A couple of the early cars had 351W, one had a 460 and the last completed car had the 4.6 Cobra engine.

I'd have to look it up. No time now...but I don't recall #0365 as a valid Excalibur JAC 427 #
Old 08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JAC 427
Not Ranked     

I like to do some work on my car but do not know what after market stuff I have to look for. Does anyone know what shoks I can use ? I like to go with Bilstein ?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 Excalibur Cobra (JAC 427) #044 - 302HO
Not Ranked     

I am a new Excalibur Cobra owner. What a fantastic car. Congratulations to those of you on this thread that built them. Incredible quality! The last three numbers on the VIN are "044" (built in 1994) and it has just over 7500 miles. I have all the original paperwork (including the window sticker) going back to the first owner.

sky-chicken - I just changed the rear shocks. The spec sheet said that the originals were Monroe 5815, but after taking them off and doing some research I found out that the right ones are Monroe 32207. I haven't had time to look for upgrades. If you find any let me know. Any info on the front components would also be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome ! So far I kept this info from this post :

(MilwDoug )
Has an 8.8" Ford rear end..
Rear brakes are probably 94 Mustangs.
Front brakes are 79 Granada.
Catalytic Converters are 94 Mustang but are custom cut.
It has a reinforced windshield for rollover.
Rear springs come from Dales race shop. 175 # rating.
Front are Carrera coil over springs and shocks.
Steering column is a Chevy S-10 pickup
Steering rack is from a 79 Mustang 2.
Finish Line has all sorts of after market parts and will probably have the Lucas taillight assemblies.
The entire interior was made at Excalibur.
The radiator is special. Was made at Scotty's Radiator Shop in Milwaukee.
The temp gauge runs about 20 deg high. The engine normally runs at about 190 degrees.
Goodyear on Hwy. 100 and National can do front end alignment.
A 1 drive shaft built the driveshaft.
The compressor on the air conditioner is stock but all the lines are custom.
The brake master cylinder came from NAPA but no one knows who made it.
The top hose is a 94 Mustang hose cut to fit.
The lower hose is a universal radiator hose.
The alarm cuts out the fuel pump, the starter and the ignition. It cannot be bypassed. You can not get duplicate keys. There was a red master key that can be used to reprogram the gray keys if you have the instructions. Made by Hella.
(Aloys)
The front brakes of my `95 Excalibur are from the `82 8Cyl. Mustang
(Excaliber)
Polished front calipers replaced with Dynalite Wilwood calipers. exact match!
understand this is the gentleman who now owns the Excalibur molds:

Bill Begella
7381 California Ave.
Youngstown, OH 44512
1-330-726-1880
Old 08-15-2005, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber, Ford 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Not all had the 5.0

Quote:
Originally posted by ohekk

A couple of the early cars had 351W, one had a 460 and the last completed car had the 4.6 Cobra engine.
And airbag in the steering wheel

I haven't been on this site in a year or two, besides from replacing the headers and adding the hypertech chip to get the temp down I just turn the key and drive it to work everyday, except for winter or rain.... I think I'm getting close to 30K miles on it and the seats are beginning to fall apart, I think they'll be getting some new stiches this winter....
Old 02-21-2006, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default New Excalibur Owner

Since we lost a couple of pages of recent posts with the crash, I'm going to repost. Irecently bought '96 Excalibur JAC 427 #149. It is red with white stripes, tan interior tonneau and top, with AC. I believe it is completely original with 9500 miles. It is currently in Northern Caulifornia awaiting transport to Texas. Ain't ebay great. I've read all of the posts in this thread and want to thank all who have contributed to my growing appreciation for a car I already loved. I have also found much useful info in the forum section of the Classic Roadsters II site as there are many common features and parts. For those who might need a hardtop for their JAC 427, Pete of CRII says theirs fits exactly and are currently on sale for $500 off their advertised price of $1795. I still do not know what they look like as CRII doesn't have any stock photos. I believe Blackjack has one on his Excalibur and I hope he posts some good photos of it so the rest of us (especially me) can figure out if it looks as good as Aloys which is an original Excalibur hardtop (one of three I understand). Aloys posted a couple of photos of his in this thread, which really looked nice, but they were lost in the crash. If any of you have any photos of the CRII hardtop on a car, I'd really appreciate a look (from as many angles as possible). Thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default #149?

Just curios where did you get that number, serial or something? Don't know mine offhand but they didn't make 149 of them. I'm pretty sure they only made 138 at least when I talked to the guy that used to build them that's what he told me. He said mine was within the last 10 and the last (8 or so) had the 3 bold header flange modification and that was the last change, besides the last oddball.
My leather seats at least the driver side is about shot, passenger isn't that bad. Anyhow I bought some RCI racing seats for it size looks perfect, it's to darn cold even in the garage when it warms up a bit I'll put one in a post about the fit. They should hold up a lot better with my nack of getting caught in the rain. Also next time I'm getting a marine radio...
Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default Serial Number

Yep it is the last three of the VIN. Evidently they did not have a complete serial number continuity. Someone in Oregon had a "97/96" on ebay about a week ago with a VIN that ended in 177 which he claimed was the last one built. It was a 5.0 EFI and my understanding from reading a post in this thread that the very lastone built was built later than that and had a 4.6 cobra motor in it. I've never seen a definite total production number linked to serial or VIN, but the range of production numbers seems close to the number you mentioned. Aloys in Germany has a '95 and sent me a photo of three German Excaliburs. One of them was a '92 with a 351W and a VIN in the 300's. It looked to me like it had the Classic Roadster type door shape. Evidently the very early one's didn't even fit in the VIN range of the '94-'96's. I was hoping to get some definite info on these cars from this thread, but I haven't even been able to get any summary info. What is the last 3 of your VIN and year of manufacture? Good luck on the seat. Evidently mine had some kind of a seat issue as the previous owner mentioned he had "redone" the seats and "changed" them a little. I have no idea what that means, but you one of at least three who have also mentioned seat upholstery problems. Do you have photos of yours posted on this site? Thanks for the reply. Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default #137

Mines a 96 last 3 digits is 137. It's unfortunate I had the name of the guy and his home number who built them and appear to have lost it. He's real nice and would answer take the time to answer any question you have. I know know he works for the state of Wisconsin now but that's all I remember.
I can understand the sewing maybe starting to pull apart on the drivers side, well maybe it's not like it's got a lot of miles, but even the passenger side is doing it. The leather is also just glued to the bottom of a shell as well as the padding. I don't think these were anywhere close to top of the line seats. I have unfortunately been rained on, well more then twice which I'm sure didn't help. I also thought there was to much slop in the stearing so I tapped into the universal where the rubber is a put in a bolt to restrict the amount of giggle allowed. Do you have any of the original brocures? I should probably put these on e-bay to at least recover postage etc but if not send me you address and I'll mail you one I have a stack still. I'm not really much of a car nut anymore I actually thought about selling it last year and my daughter started crying so I guess I'm keeping it a little longer. I'm really a antique Remington collector and didn't know exactly where to post the pics on the site without digging around so I just dropped this on the Remington Society's site but anyway here's a couple of pictures.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Info

I think I know who you are refering to. At least I have emailed someone in that area who seemed very knowlegeable and said he had been an employee. I didn't get an answer to my followup email to him. I'll try to find his address and try again. You car is awesome- I love it in yellow with the black stripes. I have a yellow Boss 302, so it has always been one of my favorite car colors- especially the brighter shades like yours (and my Boss). Your seats are very different from the ones in my car and the ones I've seen on earlier cars as well. I wonder if they were a custom order. I've been told that it wasn't unusual for the factory to provide customer requested options. Yours has a much taller head rest portion, more like a racing seat. The shape really compliments the body lines and would seem to offer greater protection as well. Many of the others I've seen have small separate head rests. Mine are integral to the seats, but not as tall as yours and not tappered much. How long have you owned yours and how many miles does it have? Have you experienced any of the header or exhaust cracking and loose baffles which seem common? Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, I almost forgot, I do not have a brouchure, but would love to have one. I really appreciate the offer. Mike

Last edited by cobraduke; 02-23-2006 at 09:22 AM..
Old 02-23-2006, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraduke
David, I almost forgot, I do not have a brouchure, but would love to have one. I really appreciate the offer. Mike
Here some picture of the Cobra brouchure (have to cleck on them for the "big picture" :-)

http://www.excaliburautomobile.com/Pages/docCobra.htm
Old 02-24-2006, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default My Apologies

Losing My Marbles Here - - -

About Two Weeks Ago Someone Asked Me About Pictures Of My Excalibur With The C/r Hardtop. The Old Expression "$#it Happens" Applies Here.

1. My Excal Was On The Lift - Above My Era.

2. We Got 18 Inches Of Snow And I Couldn't Get Anything Out Of The Garage.

3. I Lost My Digital Camera. Or Thought That I Had. (wife Had It).

4. Brent "cut Me Off" From Club Cobra. I Couldn't Log On - It Wouldn't Recognize Either Of My E-mail Addresses - And - Brent Refused To Answer Any Of My E-mails. I'm Reasonably Sure That All This Was Because I'm A Steelers Fan.

5. In All This I Forgot Who It Was That Wanted The Pictures.

At Any Rate - - -

** Snow Is Melted.
** I Have The Pictures.
** I'm Allowed Back On C/c . (at Least For Now)
** I'm Ready To Send The Pictures.

Who Is It That I Promised Them To - Weeks Ago.

Again - My Apologies.

Y'all Have A Really Great Day.

Blackjack
Old 02-24-2006, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hardtop Photos

Jack,
It is I! I knew it had to be bad, but at least nothing blew up. Thanks for going to the extra effort despite the curse of the Sea Hawks.

Mike
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

HEE, HEE - - -

NO - NOTHING "BLEW-UP" THIS TIME.

PICTURES ARE AT: http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...=14234&cat=500

HAVE A GREAT DAY, MIKE.

BLACKJACK
Old 02-24-2006, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hardtop Photos

Jack,
Thanks, they are exactly what I needed to be sure before I risked my marriage with "just one more thing I need."

How much finish and installation work is required?

BTW, great looking car. Black is beautiful and the hardtop really sets off the lines. I think the longer wheel base looks much better than the short ones with a top. Mine is a '96 and does not have the third brake light. Any idea as to how a few don't? (not that I miss it, but I am wondering about what will happen when I take it into be state inspected next week. I guess I better get a cover story better than, "My dog ate it." or, "It blew off at 150." I hope they are so mesmerized by the double cross, reverse flow baffling exhaust system not to even notice.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Parts Info for Excalibur

Hello,
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere so thought I'd post it for general info. The Deutsch FF-401 fuel filter is an exact match in size and metal construction to the original located back at the fuel pump. It is available as a stocking item at Auto Zone for about $2.50. Probably other places as well, but that is where I found it. In some of the cross references with other brands they turn out to be same pressure, flow and inlet and outlet size, but are physically larger or smaller and or are not metal.

For anybody interested in my motor problem (laying down at WOT) as reported, then erased in the Big Crash, it turned out to be a bad TPS. (Thanks to High Plains Drifter for giving me the instructions on how to test it and the explanation as to how it was related to the symptom).

I need to know how any of you have figured out a way to mount a front license plate on the bumper or support. The Law down here on the ranch insists that both plates be "properly displayed, boy."

Thanks for any helpful tips.

Mike
Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Originally the license plate holder mounts behind\underneath one of the front turn signals. I removed mine and never had a problem all though the LAW is you have to have one.

Finish Line sells one that bolts to the front bumper bracket, not sure how it would work on an Excalibur.

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/cata...roducts_id=178

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-07-2006 at 08:25 PM..
Old 03-16-2006, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Front license plate mount and computer swap

I ordered the one sold by Finish Line, Inc. It won't work on Excalibur or CRII C-427. The holes for the bumper tubes are not properly spaced, too small and there is not enough material to move a hole. The off set for the turn signal light support is also wrong (too close to the bumper support). All that said, it is a beautiful piece of work if you've got the right car

OK, back to my motor woes. When I replaced the TPS and got it dialed in, it was much improved. It still lays down (not quite as badly), but at a higher RPM (about 4800). In trying to figure it out I tried to take a look at the computer parameters and codes through the diagnosic port socket. It is dead, nothing. Scanner worked on another car at the time. Turns out the computer is not the stock 94-95 version for the 5.0. It is a '93 cobra computer (X3Z) (and the car has 24 lb. Motorsport injectors (blue tops) which explains why the computer swap). It is my understanding that there are some mods that are needed to run any earlier computer in a 94-95 system, but I have no specific info. This I need.

I have PM'd High Plains Drifter as a possible source of Jedi wisdom , but I am still looking for any one with some specific knowledge of this issue or a referal to someone who does.
Thanks for your help. (I'd be really frustrated if it weren't so much fun to drive up to 4500, I want the whole package )
Mike
Old 03-16-2006, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your help. (I'd be really frustrated if it weren't so much fun to drive up to 4500, I want the whole package )
Mike[/Quote

...doesn`t belong here, but RPM was the trigger:
could not get my car over 3000 for almost a day in last summer. Solution: while cleaning the dash I got the rpm set on 3000...

BLACKJACK:
good looking hardtop. Will try to post new pictures of mine soon as the snow gets lost...