Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile advice needed, looking into getting a cobra.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is not in the right category but I was not quite sure where else to put it. Anyway, I am really quite new to the kit car world in general and figured I would get some advice from those with more experience so here it goes.

One of my favorite cars has always been the 1965 shelby cobra, it has the perfect balance of manliness and beauty. However I currently lack the quarter of a million dollars required to own one so I have began looking into replica options. In my research I found many companies that sell bodies modeled off the cobra but it appears that among the best are: Factory Five, Superformance, Kirkham, E.R.A. and maybe others I missed? Out of these (or others?) what would be a good option? My budget I plan to work with is in the area of 35k with a little room to budge. Of course it wouldn’t be a bad thing if I could spend less and still get a great vehicle. I am wanting to build as close to the original 1965 version cosmetically as possible with regard to the Interior and exterior bodywork. However, moving under the hood I am throwing authenticity out the window because I really want track performance as well. That being said, what type of engine setup goes well with a cobra kit? I know large block V8’s are common, but do not know much about them, are they a good choice? How would it compare to my current ride, a Subaru STI which has a 2.5L 4 cylinder turbo that clocks in at a 0-60 of about 4.5 seconds. I want the kit build to have class but I also like power so if it is possible I want to shoot for a build that can come close to a solid 0-60 of 4.0 seconds, preferably even sub 4.0! Another thing I noticed that I want to take into concern in the build is my size. By that I do not mean my weight but my height. Since I am 6’5” I sometimes find it difficult driving mirco style vehicles? Would this be a major concern with any of the kit options and if so can it be modified?

My major worry is that building a kit may be a little beyond my mechanical expertise. I am not a certified mechanic and everything I know is from self-teaching and hands on experiences. After all, it does not matter how nice of kit I buy, if the person working on the car is not experienced then it is going to be a low quality build. This leads me to ask what kinds of options are available for low mileage used builds that are similar to what I am wanting? Do companies sell turnkey versions of their kits? Are there skilled people out there that can be contracted to build kits for people?

On a side note regarding the companies that sell these kits… When I was looking at factory five I noticed they have what they call MK2, MK3 and MK4 generation vehicles. Are there large differences between these? My understanding is that factory five’s are a lot more building compared to a Superformance. When I looked at Superformance’s website it looks like they make everything ready for you to just pick what engine and tranny you like and pop them inside. But there was no clear information as if this is true and I did not want to call one of their dealerships to ask. And I know Kirkham’s are out of my budget. And I know absolutely nothing about E.R.A.

So that about sums it up. Thank you in advance for all the help, I know it is a lot of questions and I am very grateful towards anyone who can help me in answering them.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Tough to answer all your questions completly in one thread. But if you do some more reading here and on other boards, you'll get a lot of good info.

What engine? That like asking "What color?" The sky is the limit, do whatever makes you happy. SBC, BBC, SBF, BBF, Ford or Chevy stroker, Dart block, Man-O-War block..... They all work, and work well.

One of the biggest bangs for the buck these days is Ford's Coyote crate engine. That's a screamin motor for minimal cash (considering what you get). They perform really well on the track, too.

Personally, I think the FFR chassis is the best you can buy or build for <$50K. It is a really fun track car.

MkI, MkII,. etc refer to ongoing changes and development in design. They're up to MIV now. The new bodies are molded from Dick Smith's #98 car - so externally it's a very accurate copy.

You don't need to be a certified mechanic to build an FFR. It helps if you're a certified car nut, though. The FFR kit is very well designed, and you can almost build the car with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench.

Superformance makes a good car. IMO, the chassis isn't as good as the FFR's - but it is still very very good. It's one of the heavier kits on the market. It comes as a roller, and ready for the drive line. It even comes painted, with the full interior installed. A friend of mine had his Superformance roadster delivered on Friday, and he drove it to the DMV for inspection on Monday.

The ERA is also very good. It's also an exact copy of an original, inside and out. If total originality is your goal, ERA is the one to choose.

Third party support is also important. How many non-kit parts can you find for your chosen car? How many "upgrade" or alternate components are available? FFR has some of the best third party support on the market. And they should, since more than 1/2 of all cobra replicas on the road are FFR's.

I put after sales customer support very high on my list before buying nearly anything. If I have a problem, can I call or e-mail some one and get a response in a reasonable amount of time? I think ERA probably has the best reputation in that area, with FFR a close second.

FFR has two forums dedicated to that kit. Tons of information on problem solving, good ideas, bad ideas, news, etc. The FFR owner network is huge. If you get stuck on something, you can usually find the answer already posted on the forums, complete with referances, pictures, and diagrams. If you can't find the answer, ask the question - you'll usually get an answer back in no time. Usually. Every now and then I manage to stump the experts, and then I have to figure it out myself.

Try and find a Cobra replica to look at, touch, feel, and get a ride in. I'd be willing to bet you can find a FFR to look at fairly close to your home. Try and look at other kit's too. They're all Cobra replica's, but they're all different. They all have their good and bad points, quirks, and personality.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto

Last edited by bobcowan; 02-22-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

London Cobra Show June 20 - 23

come join us. I will let you sit in mine and sure other will to. Go for $10 ride down Main St at speed.
There should be 200 Cobras at this event.

London Cobra Show - The Ohio Cobra Club

Dwight
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Lcs

Main St London Ohio 2005

Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Some of your goals are probably going to be hard to meet in any one make of car at $35k. I would definately be looking at buying a built car versus trying to build one. If you like the build process (I do) that's the way to go but there is no way you can build a kit for close to what you can buy a completed car on the used market. And most ot the used cars are extremely well maintained with low miles and can't hardly be distinguished from new except for maybe a little road rash. Build a new one and drive it a couple thousand miles and you have basically the same thing except for singificantly more money.

A used ERA is a very authentic looking car, inside and out. It is significantly changed in frame area which makes it very strong but a little heavier. I'm not sure I have seen a 427 model equipped with anything other than a big block FE motor so that is what you would likely get. Most ERAs seem to be factory assembled although some of us do our own build. You will probably have to increase your budget some to get into one.

For some track work the FFR car is said by many to be one of the best when set up right. The new Mk IV cars are a lot closer to appearance of the originals in several areas. They are all individually built so quality is going to depend on the skill of the builder. The same thing goes for originality - depends on the builders approach. For your budget if you look around you should be able to find an extremely nice car for the money.

Superformance cars are all facory assembled so if well maintained any example should be reasonable well sorted out. They are good looking cars and reasonable faithful to originals on the outside and interior - not as close as an ERA but only a Cobra guy would know that. A lot of them are equipped with 351 based motors but some FE and 429/460 engine examples turn up. Again you may have to exceed your budget to get into one.

Unique is another car you should look at. The interiors are not typically as true to the originals as ERA but the bodies are close and they all have IRS and many are built with FE motors. They are an older, well established maker with a great reputationn for quality. They can usually be found on the used market for a little under ERA and Superformance I believe.

Many other nice cars out there also from other manufacturers. You will just need to do your homework and ask questions. Visiting a large Cobra show would obviously give you an opportunity to compare models.

It's hard to compare a turbo Subaru car to a high HP Cobra. Your 4WD car will probably launch better and run a quicker 60 second time over a typical somewhat traction-limited Cobra. But the experience will be completely different. I assume the Subaru is quick but smooth and controllable. A high HP Cobra, like any 60s era based car, is anything but. It will be loud, smelly, visceral, explosive and when run hard, on the verge of being out of control. My Cobra's not streetable yet so some of that is definately second hand but some of it is also based on my 66 L-88 motor Corvette.

My 2 cents worth

Last edited by DanEC; 02-23-2013 at 04:44 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Depending on your capabilities, an ERA small block car may even stretch your budget. I built most of my car with that target in mind. That was a number of years ago. I ended up springing for more options. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. ERA is a great car.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Consider attending the Kit Car Nationals in Carlisle PA:

Carlisle Import and Kit Nationals - British, French, German, Swedish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Collector, Performance, Parts, Accessories
Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     
Default A solution

JUST BUY THIS ONE....its for sale!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

A site to evaluate the pre-owned market, prices, options, etc

427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA is what you're after but your price range is a little too low. Take a look at Hurricane for one the next step down. 427 Roadster Models - Hurricane Motorsports
Larry
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, if you want a car that "sits right" and has a big block, that narrows you down to ERA, Shelby, and Kirkham. But they are all above your stated budget. I think Factory Five makes an excellent product, but it is not as accurate looking as the others, takes more time to build, and generally uses a small block. If those things don't matter, it's probably the best bang for the buck. Superformance, Hurricane, and Unique are probably in between, with the first two being rollers and the third a kit. Your best bet is to see them, and then you'll know. The good news is that they are all excellent products, just a bit different.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
ERA is what you're after but your price range is a little too low. Take a look at Hurricane for one the next step down. 427 Roadster Models - Hurricane Motorsports
Larry
I forgot about Hurricane. I was gearing up to purchase one of their kits just when they temporarily shut down. They are an excellent car also with a lot of originality designed into them. Unfortunately there are not many that seem to show up used but if you decide to build they definately deserve a look.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolwater256 View Post

Simple advice, continue to save your money until you can afford the Cobra you really want. Figure $45,000-$50,000 for a more realistic budget.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Simple advice, continue to save your money until you can afford the Cobra you really want. Figure $45,000-$50,000 for a more realistic budget.

Bill S.
While Mr. Mustang is 100% correct. And keep in mind that this comment comes from someone that is just a little bit a head of you in the process. I have not bought my kit yet, but I've chosen what I will be buying (almost...).

First and foremost continue to read and ask questions! Plenty of questions! Find out whats out there. Then get out that spread sheet program and start putting in some numbers and options. (I've been more of a visual guy myself, so I've even included some pic's with items. Helps me justify spending X amount ).

Take a ride in a couple different ones. Find someone that's got a nice 302. Then find someone that's pushed the envelope just a bit more. Say a 351w thats been stroked out to a 408. Then if you can get your butt in a 460 that's been cranked up to 482... So lets just say the more input you get the better your decision is going to be.

Once you get to the point of "Ok this is what I want. And it will cost me..." Then you'll be able go from there.

Again to Quote Bill S. "Simple advice, continue to save your money until you can afford the Cobra you really want."

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by Quintum; 02-23-2013 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: spelling issues...
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Can you build a kit fo 35K? Simple answer is "YES". But you will have to use a donor vehicle, buy as many used or inexpensive after market parts as you can and a standard inexpensive paint job or stay in gel-coat.

You will/might not get a high price if you decide to sell it but it will be yours. If you want anything more than a donor car (which depending on the donor can still be a decent car) it could cost you 30%-50% over your budget.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, this is a very active and helpful forum, thank you for all the helpful responses.

After reading through what you all wrote I think I am leaning more towards buying a used car. It would not bother me knowing that I did not build the car myself, especially if it saves money. The only thing that would be difficult with buying used is finding the car that meets criteria of the correct engine, paint color, etc. that you are looking for. But I may just have to live with minor compromises. I think right now I am most interested in the ERA, Hurricane and FFR cobras but I am still doing research on all of them. If I did end up building I would strongly consider the Hurricane kit right now unless there is a persuasive reason against it.

Thank you for the link to the cobra country site, it is very useful in looking at what options are available in the used market. I am not very familiar with FE engines but it seems that a very large amount of the cobras owners prefer them. I know that is mainly because of originality. But originality aside how does FE engines compare in a best bang for your buck scenario? I mean if I was building I would not even rule out crazy options like dropping in a viper V-10 motor or a twin turbo charged 2JZ-GTE. Not sure if either of those set ups are possible though...

I think regardless that I definitely need to go and see some cobras in person, the "London Cobra Show" seems like it would be a good opportunity. And during that time I can keep building up the cobra fund. In the meantime let me know if there are any cobra owners in the KC area that wouldn't mind me coming by to look at their car.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would add Unique to your list also. They have been around a long time and build a quality car with IRS. Exterior is near perfect IMO. Interior is good but not as original as ERA and probably the Hurricane also. But, as good or better than FFR depending on how original the FFR builder was seeking.

FEs are kind of having a come back it seems - I guess due to the interest in Cobra replicas and restoring old Ford musclecars and pony cars. They have a few odd ball and quirky details and are best left to someone with real engine building skills or a FE specialist. But there isn't anything that looks better in a Cobra especially if you are seeking a high degree of faithfulness to original details and appearance. Some will even argue they sound different and maybe they do due to their firing order and other things.

Good luck.
427 Street likes this.

Tags
advice, build, cobra, factory five, help please