28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree46Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Chas: You are correct. No "last stand". Not trying to convince anyone of anything here. Just pointed out the surprising $20,000.00 price increase on the
Shelby aluminum Cobra rollers to $160,000.00 and usual peanut gallery can't contain themselves and start voicing their "opinions" on the "real" vs. replica issue. Opinions are like a$$holes. Eveyone has one. Fair enough. Fact is the leading authoirty on this issue has definitively spoken via their World Registry. Debate over regardless of personal opinions of the peanut gallery.

I know when I bought my Shelby in 1999 they were selling for $72,000.00 as a roller. Call me a "fool who parted with my money for an aluminum Shelbyl" but seems like my car just may have appreciated over the years. Haven't tried to sell it recently but back in or about 2003/2004 I did offer it for sale and had two guys flying out to see it at $140,000.00 as I recall. I made it clear I was not negotiable. One was from Minnesota and one from Florida. I got cold feet and decided not to sell it. The guy from Minnesota was very disappointed as he seemed pretty hot for the car. I think that is what scared me off. I'm pretty confident one of those gents was going to buy it.

I had to sell my Excalibur and my ERA replica for less then what I paid. There was no way I could sell them for more than what I paid for it.

Does anyone here think they can sell their replica ERA, Contemporary, Backdraft, Unique, etc...for more then what they paid? If so let us know. I'm not talking about those buying at wholesale for a quick sale or flip. I'm talking about those who have bought and held for a number of years and enjoyed and decided to sell.

I agree that the asking price does not set the value. Just pointing out an indicator of which the asking price is an indicator. If they start changing hands at those prices or near those prices then you have value. Further, with the current price increase a Shelby aluminum rolling chasis at $160,000.00 putting a completed car at $210,000+ this is likely to drive the value of existing used and immediatley available aluminum Shelbys higher. Can't say for sure but it certainly seems logical and reasonable to conclude this.

CSX3170: No not a relative of mine. That sign is a little over the top. Plus he obviously doesn't know much about GT/GT40 history. Ford GT was the cars official name and always has been. The moniker GT40 was mearly the project code name and was later copyrighted by Thorton who started the Safir group. The moniker GT40 became the popularly known name for the car based on press descriptions. With the iconic status the new Ford GT has attained that moniker has attained a similar luster. Likewise Safir cannot use the Ford GT moniker which has been copyrighted by Ford.

Tcrist: I agree with you and so does SAAC. Only difference is the new Shebys are not deemed part of the original series. They are continuation series Cobras.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-15-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Look further down the page for CSX4387 listed at $195K.
That car has been listed for that price for 5 months, the owner and I will both be shocked if it goes for more than $150,000, I talked to the owner he is eager to sell, he wants a Ferrari... Real 1 offer him $180,000 you will make a quick $30k...If it were only that easy we would all do it...
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Chas: You are correct. No "last stand". Not trying to convince anyone of anything here. Just pointed out the surprising $20,000.00 price increase on the
Shelby aluminum Cobra rollers to $160,000.00 and usual peanut gallery can't contain themselves and start voicing their "opinions" on the "real" vs. replica issue. Opinions are like a$$holes. Eveyone has one. Fair enough. Fact is the leading authoirty on this issue has definitively spoken via their World Registry. Debate over regardless of personal opinions of the peanut gallery.

I know when I bought my Shelby in 1999 they were selling for $72,000.00 as a roller. Call me a "fool who parted with my money for an aluminum Shelbyl" but seems like my car just may have appreciated over the years. Haven't tried to sell it recently but back in or about 2003/2004 I did offer it for sale and had two guys flying out to see it at $140,000.00 as I recall. I made it clear I was not negotiable. One was from Minnesota and one from Florida. I got cold feet and decided not to sell it. The guy from Minnesota was very disappointed as he seemed pretty hot for the car. I think that is what scared me off. I'm pretty confident one of those gents was going to buy it.

I had to sell my Excalibur and my ERA replica for less then what I paid. There was no way I could sell them for more than what I paid for it.

Does anyone here think they can sell their replica ERA, Contemporary, Backdraft, Unique, etc...for more then what they paid? If so let us know. I'm not talking about those buying at wholesale for a quick sale or flip. I'm talking about those who have bought and held for a number of years and enjoyed and decided to sell.

I agree that the asking price does not set the value. Just pointing out an indicator of which the asking price is an indicator. If they start changing hands at those prices or near those prices then you have value. Further, with the current price increase a Shelby aluminum rolling chasis at $160,000.00 putting a completed car at $210,000+ this is likely to drive the value of existing used and immediatley available aluminum Shelbys higher. Can't say for sure but it certainly seems logical and reasonable to conclude this.

CSX3170: No not a relative of mine. That sign is a little over the top. Plus he obviously doesn't know much about GT/GT40 history. Ford GT was the cars official name and always has been. The moniker GT40 was mearly the project code name and was later copyrighted by Thorton who started the Safir group. The moniker GT40 became the popularly known name for the car based on press descriptions. With the iconic status the new Ford GT has attained that moniker has attained a similar luster. Likewise Safir cannot use the Ford GT moniker which has been copyrighted by Ford.

Tcrist: I agree with you and so does SAAC. Only difference is the new Shebys are not deemed part of the original series. They are continuation series Cobras.
I think in 2003 2004 the economy was better, was it not...
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hot August Nights sign

Quote:

I agree that the asking price does not set the value. Just pointing out an indicator of which the asking price is an indicator. If they start changing hands at those prices or near those prices then you have value. Further, with the current price increase for the car at $160,000.00 putting a completed car at $210,000+ this is likely to drive the value of existing aluminum Shelbys higher. Can't say for sure but it certainly seems logical and reasonable to conclude this.

CSX3170: No not a relative of mine. That sign is a little over the top. Plus he obviously doesn't know much about GT/GT40 history. Ford GT was the cars official name and alway has been. The moniker GT40 was mearly the project code name and was later copyrighted by Thorton who started the Safir group. The moniker GT40 became the popularly known name for the car based on press descriptions. With the iconic status the new Ford GT has attained that moniker has attained a similar luster.

Tcrist: I agree with you and so does SAAC. Only difference is the new Shebys are not deemed part of the original series. They are continuation series cars.
The amazing part is that he had very large crowds all weekend looking at it and believing that it was an original car even though the sign says it is a replica in a very round about way. One fellow I was talking to lived on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe and knew the guy since they were neighbors. He was absolutely sure it was an original GT-40 until I pointed out some significant differences. The other performance quotes were really over the top but most viewers had very little knowledge of the cars and what they are actually capable of. I could not resist asking you since he quotes the registry in his sign. My wife asked him if he bought it in the 1960's and he just walked away without acknowledging the question.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

I sold my SPF for more than I bought it for and it has no CSX number???
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Gee, simple math seems to indicte that being that you won't be able to even buy a rolling aluminum chasis for $150K that would be a great price. Maybe you should buy it at that number if he will sell. You could make out or if he is smart he should hold out and wait for the price increase and he is likely to get his price or close to it.

I already have one. I'm saving for another FGT but they keep going up in price. but its not all bad since I have one.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...Only difference is the new Shebys are not deemed part of the original series. They are continuation series Cobras.
Those "in the know," know exactly what they are.
Those who don't...have to keep explaining it.
OZCOBRA and Mando like this.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, how prophetic.
Actually, those in the know have a World Registry and read it. Others stick to dogmatic opinion based upon their own bias.
BTW stay on topic Mr. Moderator.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
BTW stay on topic Mr. Moderator.
Absolutely on topic. ..like every one you start.

Isn't this about the season when you get real mad and go away for a long time?

Just curious. No need to reply.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Mmmmm.....DEFINITIVE!!!
" SAAC is dedicated to the preservation, care, history and enjoyment of cars from Shelby American, 1961-1970."????????

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 08-15-2013 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Extra Word.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
Mmmmm.....DEFINITIVE!!!
" SAAC is dedicated to the preservation, care, history and enjoyment of cars from Shelby American, 1961-1970."????????
Good one, I did not know that...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Shelby aluminum Cobra rollers to $160,000.00
Evan,

Actually I never underestimate you or the reasons why you post. In this case, let's face it, you were bored and needed a place to burn off some excess energy. That or get yourself ready for a good fight in court by stirring the pot here in your usual way.

Bill S.
RodKnock likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Interestingly I had my bare aluminium Kirkham parked next to a real 1966 Cobra and time after time car show enthusiast were heard to say - "that aluminium one is real"

So who are we kidding...

An early CSX numbered car is like stock shares. At some stage they will be worth less and sometimes worth more than you paid.

I have brought new recent stocks at a cheap price. Perhaps like a "Continuation" car they may go up.

In the interim I will just go out and drive my REAL and GENUINE Cobra....

Others lucky or unlucky enough to own genuine Cobras knowing they may possibly hold their price are able to say with enthusiasm - "this is a real Cobra"...

Only they care I guess.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 08-16-2013 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: Zzzzzz
Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Absolutely on topic. ..like every one you start.

Isn't this about the season when you get real mad and go away for a long time?

Just curious. No need to reply.
Your curious but there is no need to reply?

Couple corrections. I don't start topics on the " real" issue. More misinformation at your hand.

Second. Whether someone here considers the Contnuation series a "real" Cobra has nothing to do with the thred topic. It slipped into that subject again not at my hand.

And about me going away...it wasn't because I was mad, it was more like disgusted at the juvinile personal attacks about which you as a moderator did nothing. Why was I attacked? Because I was saying the same thing way back then (2000-2001) about the Shelby that SAAC states in there new World Registry of Cobras and GT40s.

And putting my attorney hat on here if you keep saying on this forum that my position on the new Continuation Series is wrong and you are an officer being on the board of directors of SAAC and as I recall on the SAAC Board of Directors at the time the Registry was being put together for publication and acknowledged as one of the contributors to the Registry and the SAAC Registry states what I keep stating about the Shelby sounds like maybe there is misinformation/errors in the Registry about the Continuation series? Clearly could be construed this way. If so, sounds like refunds or at least some credit should be due for all those who spent good money on the Registry. How much were they a pop? How many were sold? Gee, even worse, that book also in part was/is sold as tool and as guide to help people discern and decide what to buy and weed out the "fakes" from the real/"authentic". It is supposed to help give people confidence in what they buy and own. It also help provides pride in ownership and confidence that you own what they describe you own. However, if you are right and the Registry is wrong how many people have been mislead by the information in that Registry about the Continuation series and overpaid by thousands for a "replica" as opposed to a genuine/authentic Cobra? You consistently undermine the Registry on this issue. It is not fair to SAAC nor to the owners of these cars especially those that have have joined SAAC paying good money and purchased the Registry with good money.

Hmmm..... your repeated position the Continuation Cobras... very interesting and especially troubling since you are "in the know". Is SAAC in the "know" too or are you keeping this to yourself?

Clearly your broken record comments here on this public forum and the Worlds "largest" Cobra site are clearly inconsistent with your organizations Registry seem particularly damaging to the Registry to me and seem to undermine it. When an officer of SAAC says what you say it is troubling. I don't care about the rest of the peanut galleries' opinions but because of your position with SAAC it is troubling.

And maybe if your statements just represent your own personal opinion (to which you are clearly entitled) and considering your position at SAAC or previous position at SAAC perhaps you should just keep it to yourself. It really does not look good. By their nature your statement do undermine the Registry not only as to Continuation Cobras but the other new Shelbys, Kirkhams and licensed Safir GT40s.

I agree with SAACs position wholeheartedly and always have agreed. In fact I was ahead of them in the position. They are correct and published it so. We all know they are not originals. No one is trying to pass them off as such. But perhaps you should stop undercutting SAAC which clearly is not helpful to SAAC. Perhaps as an officer/board member at SAAC or former member and Registry contributor it would be better to stand behind what they have said and published or at least keep quiet.

Anytime those here don't want me I have no problem not coming back. Don't need this forum. I participate in others where there are no issues or petty jealousies.

Hey, you have a nice day Ron.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-16-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Uhhh, Evan just forget this nonsense and concentrate on cleaning those air bleeds. Then report back.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Just to help you with protocol..

When I sign a post as "ClubCobra Moderator," I have posted in that manner, speaking as a moderator, for moderation purposes.

When I sign correspondence "SAAC National Director," I do so speaking in that capacity, on behalf of the Club.

When I don't sign a post, I am speaking simply as an enthusiast here.

The rest of what you said was just pap.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, Ok. That makes it all better now. Putting your "protocol" aside perhaps, just perhaps you should think about what I have said. Have no confidence that you will but...

You should also perhaps resign as an officer of SAAC and "National Director" since you apparently don't agree with or belieeve in what SAAC says and has published and worse continue to make your position known on the "Worlds largest Cobra" site.

Put simply, your position is simply crap and BS and a misdeed as to SAAC and the Registry which clearly undermines their official position and the World Registry. So your position is different when you put on your "SAAC National Director's hat"???? What a crock. Maybe I'll renew my membership (which I let lapse in part because of a particular SAAC officers very public and demeaning comments about the Continuation Cobras) and raise that issue with the Board.

Patrick: Yes, you are right my friend. I am going to try and put new gas in and skip the Marvel Mystery oil this time. I think it may be cutting the Octane too much. Then I will hit the air bleeds.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-16-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Patrick: Yes, you are right my friend. I am going to try and put new gas in and skip the Marvel Mystery oil this time. I think it may be cutting the Octane too much. Then I will hit the air bleeds.
Yeah- but what about the molecules in the tires...
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Yeah- but what about the molecules in the tires...
Thanks. I'll check those too? ...How do you check those?????
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Evan, on such a nice day why are you on the computer and not out driving your cobra?

Did you bet someone at your firm you could cause mayhem

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Closed Thread