Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I am not sure Leno is an expert on handling at extreme conditions, the laws of physics have not been repealed to my knowledge. High CG, relatively small tires and heavy weight (3800 lbs) do not make a great car no matter how many technological driving aids you put in. Weight is the enemy and a GT is certainly too heavy but it has adequate tire size, low CG, good geometry and great aerodynamics compared to that over rated Mustang. Lots of cars can make the GT seem like a POS too, no argument there. I have extensively modified mine but it is still way too heavy which hurts the performance in every way.
Why don't you bring your (unnamed car) to the COCOA event at Willow Springs this coming October (they allow interesting cars that Cobra owners have). You can then demonstrate how fast your car is, they don't allow open wheelers though.
I couldn't find the link but it was comparing the 2014 Shelby GT500 from Ford to his Ford GT. Very smart guy Leno, however may not be an expert in this area. I will post something soon. I'm just not the computer tech person to post stuff and I do like to do things myself instead of asking someone else that works for me. I gave up racing in 1982 and have kept that promise to myself since then. From time to time I might do a high speed run on a straight away that is vacant but not race. I made that comment not to belittle yours but hopefully show respect to someone that may own what you call that POS. The last track participated on(not raced) was Monticello Motor Club and SLF(Shuttle Landing Facility) runway. I didn't have a particular model in mind, just one that drives like it was on rails. If you were in Monterey in 2011 you might have bumped into me cause I gave a lot of stuff away. I can't find the original copy that I sent to friends but this is a partial email and speaks on some of the stuff I was giving away mostly to children and teenagers there. Also I was hanging out with Brian Johnson (AC DC) and busting his balls about his Lola racer and how it sat in boxes for years in Connecticut. And of course some SEALS that I brought up from Coronado.

I will be having a written trivia quiz again where you can just drop off your answers when finished and enjoy the cars. I'm trying to find some nice prizes that I have stored away. I have some old Motor Trend Mags signed by Shelby and owners of Cobras, 2 comedy albums signed by comedian Bill Cosby 200 MPH(you know about the 427 SuperSnake), lots of decals for the kids(or anyone else interested), copies of vintage photos that I bought from Ford(when they opened the archives up), and some surprises like a signed mounted AC steering wheel documented from a wrecked early 289 Cobra. For you drag racing cobra fans I have some decals recreated from an original DragonSnake decal. I will have a few on hand. I will also have some re-created press kits that I acquired from Ford years ago. Some are GT-40, some Mustang and Cobra. I have made rough copies of a press kit given to my grandfather back in the sixties from Shelby PR man Don Rabbitt. I made 100 copies at local copy shop for those interested. I might find my April 1966 issues of Motor Trend featuring Harrah's Automobile collection of over 1000 cars.

Maybe try the $100 bill reach and grab test. I never tried it myself. Oh I forgot to add years ago I bought out a supply of factory front license plate hinges for the 427 Cobra that make your front plate go horizoneal (hidden) when going faster than 35 mph. These are same ones from the factory. Free if you have a 427 at the show.

FYI I'm not selling anything please don't ask. Things I mentioned might be for prizes or give aways. Feel free to ask me any questions I always have time to explain what I can. I also will be having some friends from US Navy (Naval Special Warfare Command) coming up to help me and giving them some much deserved R & R. Please thank them for their military service if you get the chance.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
I couldn't find the link but it was comparing the 2014 Shelby GT500 from Ford to his Ford GT. Very smart guy Leno, however may not be an expert in this area. I will post something soon. I'm just not the computer tech person to post stuff and I do like to do things myself instead of asking someone else that works for me. I gave up racing in 1982 and have kept that promise to myself since then. From time to time I might do a high speed run on a straight away that is vacant but not race. I made that comment not to belittle yours but hopefully show respect to someone that may own what you call that POS. The last track participated on(not raced) was Monticello Motor Club and SLF(Shuttle Landing Facility) runway. I didn't have a particular model in mind, just one that drives like it was on rails. If you were in Monterey in 2011 you might have bumped into me cause I gave a lot of stuff away. I can't find the original copy that I sent to friends but this is a partial email and speaks on some of the stuff I was giving away mostly to children and teenagers there. Also I was hanging out with Brian Johnson (AC DC) and busting his balls about his Lola racer and how it sat in boxes for years in Connecticut. And of course some SEALS that I brought up from Coronado.

I will be having a written trivia quiz again where you can just drop off your answers when finished and enjoy the cars. I'm trying to find some nice prizes that I have stored away. I have some old Motor Trend Mags signed by Shelby and owners of Cobras, 2 comedy albums signed by comedian Bill Cosby 200 MPH(you know about the 427 SuperSnake), lots of decals for the kids(or anyone else interested), copies of vintage photos that I bought from Ford(when they opened the archives up), and some surprises like a signed mounted AC steering wheel documented from a wrecked early 289 Cobra. For you drag racing cobra fans I have some decals recreated from an original DragonSnake decal. I will have a few on hand. I will also have some re-created press kits that I acquired from Ford years ago. Some are GT-40, some Mustang and Cobra. I have made rough copies of a press kit given to my grandfather back in the sixties from Shelby PR man Don Rabbitt. I made 100 copies at local copy shop for those interested. I might find my April 1966 issues of Motor Trend featuring Harrah's Automobile collection of over 1000 cars.

Maybe try the $100 bill reach and grab test. I never tried it myself. Oh I forgot to add years ago I bought out a supply of factory front license plate hinges for the 427 Cobra that make your front plate go horizoneal (hidden) when going faster than 35 mph. These are same ones from the factory. Free if you have a 427 at the show.

FYI I'm not selling anything please don't ask. Things I mentioned might be for prizes or give aways. Feel free to ask me any questions I always have time to explain what I can. I also will be having some friends from US Navy (Naval Special Warfare Command) coming up to help me and giving them some much deserved R & R. Please thank them for their military service if you get the chance.
I have the utmost respect for all our men and women in the military and all they do and have done for us. It really bothers me to see how poorly our returning veterans are treated considering all the sacrifices they have made
for us. I attended some shooting courses (rifle and hand gun) over the years, one was taught by a former SEAL, a really great guy and the toughest individual I have ever known. He told me what class he was in Bud? but I have forgotten now. I do remember that he resigned rather than have
Bill Clinton as his ultimate commander and chief. I do what I can whenever I can to thank the military for their service.

The Willow event is not a race, it is just a really fun day for people to take their Ford powered vehicles out for a fast drive on a very fast track.
I quit racing in 1980 but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the occasional track day.
hurricaneharold likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

We will be heading to the Coronado Speed Event in September. Fun why to support the Navy and Marines. I am X Naval Air 1961-65. " Go Navy "
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

With all due respect to you, I agree that calling the 13/14 GT-500 a POS is over the top. In my opinion, you have to keep in mind what the car is and what it is not. It is not a race car. [b]It is a street car in every sense of the word. Seats 4 in comfort, carries a ****load of luggage and loafs along on the freeway at 80 MPH turning 1400 RPM getting 23 + MPG. The build quality of the car is outstanding; the power train technology is unbelievable. (8 different stages of launch control , suspension and stability control selectable from the cockpit).

It also has unbelievable power and even more unbelievable brakes. Will go 10 seconds in the 1/4 (with DR's mounted) and even at 3800 lbs and narrow tires, does a respectable job getting around a road course. Comparisons to the Ford GT is really just stupid as the 2 are totally different vehicles for totally different markets. The only legitimate comparison of the 2 is that the power plant shares the same DNA; only the GT-500 motor is bigger, more refined and more technologically advanced. How do I know? I happen to own 2 of them.

For a STREET car, the performance of the thing is astounding.

For a base price of around 60K out the door, there is no comparison.

GRUFF
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUF78 View Post

With all due respect to you, I agree that calling the 13/14 GT-500 a POS is over the top. In my opinion, you have to keep in mind what the car is and what it is not. It is not a race car. [b]It is a street car in every sense of the word. Seats 4 in comfort, carries a ****load of luggage and loafs along on the freeway at 80 MPH turning 1400 RPM getting 23 + MPG. The build quality of the car is outstanding; the power train technology is unbelievable. (8 different stages of launch control , suspension and stability control selectable from the cockpit).

It also has unbelievable power and even more unbelievable brakes. Will go 10 seconds in the 1/4 (with DR's mounted) and even at 3800 lbs and narrow tires, does a respectable job getting around a road course. Comparisons to the Ford GT is really just stupid as the 2 are totally different vehicles for totally different markets. The only legitimate comparison of the 2 is that the power plant shares the same DNA; only the GT-500 motor is bigger, more refined and more technologically advanced. How do I know? I happen to own 2 of them.

GRUFF
I did not make the comparison, the statement was related to performance alone not passenger capacity, fuel mileage, luggage capacity or cost of ownership. Compared to a Ford GT performance wise there is no comparison
and I stand by my statement. I would actually prefer an Boss Mustang over the Shelby version because of it's handling advantage, of course I am not a drag racer or a top speed addict. Compared to other cars in that price range the Shelby is not a POS it's all in the context.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUF78 View Post

GRUFF
I did not make the comparison, the statement was related to performance alone not passenger capacity, fuel mileage, luggage capacity or cost of ownership. Compared to a Ford GT performance wise there is no comparison
and I stand by my statement. I would actually prefer a Boss Mustang over the Shelby version because of it's handling advantage, of course I am not a drag racer or a top speed addict. Compared to other cars in that price range the Shelby is not a POS it's all in the context.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     

went to a local car show last night crystal point in Point Pleasant New Jersey.
and there was a continuation aluminum body CSX 42?? there.
I must say without a doubt it was the most realistic appearing 427 SC I have ever seen I could not find the owner while I was there,
the body was neither brushed or polished or painted it appear to be roughed up with a DA all of the aluminum and then just cleared.I would guess the car is about 10-15 years old and it looked like it was never cleaned it had so much of a patina on it almost had a rat rod appearance but it did look excellent all in all.one thing I did not understand the base of the shift lever was offset almost into the driver .seat.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I ask myself something similar almost everyday "do I want to leave this to me daughters(heirs)", however not just an automobile collection but art work, antiques, family history and legacies.....

If anyone wants to invest in classic autos rule #1 never buy a copy. All of the guys here gladly buy for enjoyment. I came across this if anyone cares to interpret for me.

The Economist valuables index: Fruits of passion | The Economist

Has my black chrome "duplicate" (not a copy) drum kit given to me by my buddy Cozy Powell gone up in value higher than the Historic Automobile Group Index in the chart?

Or since you members like to speak on "DNA" of your cars how has the value risen on my Jimmy Page Signature Les Paul which has never left the case and still has his fingerprints and DNA on the guitar. Or serial #3 of EDS-1275 same DNA, played and signed. Along with some other signature models is a Andy Manson triple necker duplicate copy of Jimmy's.

Doesn't the 2014 Shelby GT500 do to the GT what you state can do to the Cobra? Just advancements.

I was actually taking a stress test this morning reading the first 5 pages of this thread to see if I missed anything. ROFL Hard reading this on an incline.

But I have a deal with Real 1...if he can guess how many autos I own with the name Cobra in it that are NOT mentioned in the SAAC registry I won't comment any longer when he brings registry up. I will have to think about the answer but will do so if he responds. Not counting any Cobra, continuation or what we understand as a copy tribute or replica of one.
I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what cars you have but from your posts we are lead to believe you must have quite a collection. Could you favor us with some pics?

As to the Registry, I would definitely suggest you register your eligible Cobras etc..for many reasons.

As to the advice to never buy a "copy" ... I didn't. I bought a genuine Shelby Cobra of the continuation series/ vintage.

What may not be collectible or vintage today is certainly subject to change over the years.

Again, we love pics. Post some!

Cheers.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-22-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
finished nicely and with detail.
real 1 do you know of the continuation car that I mentioned being a jersey guy also?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what cars you have but from your posts we are lead to believe you must have quite a collection. Could you favor us with some pics?

As to the Registry, I would definitely suggest you register your eligible Cobras etc..for many reasons.

As to the advice to never buy a "copy" ... I didn't. I bought a genuine Shelby Cobra of the continuation series/ vintage.

What may not be collectible or vintage today is certainly subject to change over the years.

Again, we love pics. Post some!

Cheers.
I started a flicker account with old pics. I think there are just a few that are mine on there. I need to set up some kind of watermark on the pics before doing so.

The word copy with collector cars was not really directed toward you.

Oh the registry rofl if you want to know I will let you know why not for my family since the 1950's via PM.

I tried to explain on your other post about guitars, drums, copies ...and all that but forget about it.

I actually thought I had more with the cobra name in it. I guess Cobra powered or cobra jet does not count.
I guess I thought I had more than one but that's the answer torino cobra.

And please don't tell me that those are listed in Cobra Registry.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D111 View Post
real 1 do you know of the continuation car that I mentioned being a jersey guy also?
Which Shelby again? Refresh me.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I started a flicker account with old pics. I think there are just a few that are mine on there. I need to set up some kind of watermark on the pics before doing so.

The word copy with collector cars was not really directed toward you.

Oh the registry rofl if you want to know I will let you know why not for my family since the 1950's via PM.

I tried to explain on your other post about guitars, drums, copies ...and all that but forget about it.

I actually thought I had more with the cobra name in it. I guess Cobra powered or cobra jet does not count.
I guess I thought I had more than one but that's the answer torino cobra.

And please don't tell me that those are listed in Cobra Registry.
Why do you need a watermark on your pictures??? Curious.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=REAL 1;1258830]Which Shelby again?

post 187 a couple up
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

OnyxRider...Brian's a fun guy...several of us have spent time with him in California and Florida through a teammate of his. Got me a ride in Thunder Guts around the Historics paddock and learned how to pronounce fok correctly. Good guy...part of the group doing stuff to honor JPJr a bit.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=D111;1258832]
Quote:
Which Shelby again?

post 187 a couple up
My guess is CSX4267
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A watermark or name across the pic so it isn't copied. There's a reason why names are kept off of collections, so they don't get endless useless correspondence.
gthompson likes this.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

at airport waiting for my flight and I started reading this thread... and I had a flashback to my days at USC business school. One of my favorite professors wrote on the board, "The best criminals don't rob you with a gun or violence; the true master criminal robs you with hugs and kisses."

CSX rollers starting at $160K for a 60 year old car design?... must have been plenty of hugs and kisses at the showroom.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

NYG - take a stroll into the showroom, and take one for a test drive. You'll want one. No hugs or kisses necessary. BTW - they'll sell every single one that they make - at full price.

You can drive a stick can't you?
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Its quite simple to stop people stealing the photos and doing what they want with them.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
at airport waiting for my flight and I started reading this thread... and I had a flashback to my days at USC business school. One of my favorite professors wrote on the board, "The best criminals don't rob you with a gun or violence; the true master criminal robs you with hugs and kisses."
Whoops! You may want to get a tuition refund from USC. You must have missed or possibly failed Econ 101. You know, the concept of "Supply vs. Demand."
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Closed Thread