LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRsAC View Post
Wow - prices are going up?!? Guess I ought to do something with that pile of tin taking up space in the back of my shop...

Your gonna have to paint that sucker!!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Your gonna have to paint that sucker!!
No way!
Then it would look like a CSX continuation.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Paint Schmaint. Polish it baby.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Sooooooooo, if I purchase a polished Al body from Kirkham @ $15K ( Kirkham site price ) and remount it on my CSX4000 I could ask $$$,$$$. Just thinkin.......
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On second thought, Bret, would you consider selling just the body ?? Just thinkin.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reason I said to paint it was when I originally purchased the Kirkham it was the "filed finish" as it looks to be in the picture above. I was originally goning to "brush finish" it myself.

According to everyone in the know that would have been the worst mistake of my automotive life.
So, I had the K-bros do the brush and it was the best money ever spent.

Moral: Kids, dont try this at home!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response Evan. Indeed in the sense you stated, the registry is a great thing and I think it is a great project/product that people have put it together for those that are fortunate enough to own one of these cars.

I'd ignore the naysayers and detractors. They can't take away what the continuation Cobras are. Continuation Cobras are what they are in the eye of the beholder. Neither a judge nor a registry is going to change that. But the registry certainly gives those Cobras an excellent reference for those that own or will own one of them.

Now, back to the discussion. I've got a bottle of Basil Hayden and some Bookers. I'm inviting everyone to my place to discuss this. How does next month look?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Thanks for the response Evan. Indeed in the sense you stated, the registry is a great thing and I think it is a great project/product that people have put it together for those that are fortunate enough to own one of these cars.

I'd ignore the naysayers and detractors. They can't take away what the continuation Cobras are. Continuation Cobras are what they are in the eye of the beholder. Neither a judge nor a registry is going to change that. But the registry certainly gives those Cobras an excellent reference for those that own or will own one of them.

Now, back to the discussion. I've got a bottle of Basil Hayden and some Bookers. I'm inviting everyone to my place to discuss this. How does next month look?
I'm in, I have to get out of the heat for a while, I'm starting to imagine someone said a CSX roller was $160,000...
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I'm in, I have to get out of the heat for a while, I'm starting to imagine someone said a CSX roller was $160,000...
Was I wrong about the number? I was just copyig what another posted.

I figure if he keeps posting three times a day about a registry he will feel better.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's CSX4390 with aluminum body and a FI Kroyer engine sold by the AE Collection here in CA. The AE Collection sells really high end low mileage cars that they don't keep in their collection. Last asking price was $150,000. Sold for $138,000:

Shelby : CSX Cobra CSX in Shelby | eBay Motors

For posterity here's the verbiage w/o the history lesson:

"Numbered CSX4390 and complete with a Shelby American VIN plate, this outstanding 1965 Shelby Cobra was sold new for $250,000. Finishline Motorsports of Las Vegas built it, with power delivered by an awesome, fuel-injected 427 alloy V-8 built by Kroyer Racing Engines, also of Las Vegas, the famed off-road racing experts. Highly desirable features include a lightweight aluminum body, unlike the cast majority of fiberglass-bodied Cobras, d bumpers, front and rear jacking points, side pipes, wind wings, and a driver’s roll bar. Pro-built, it is sure to deliver an incredible driving experience with truly brutal performance, channeling the legendary original with the benefit of today’s refinements and new technologies."

Normally, I wouldn't be impressed with a engine builder's name such as Kroyer, but I believe ERA Chas mentioned he knows the name and thought they were a top-notch engine builder.

So, new alloy CSX rollers are allegedly $160,000 or you can pick up a very nice nearly new (1,100 +/- miles) alloy CSX with a FI engine for $138,000. Hmmm.

Last edited by RodKnock; 08-19-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

Well, I could certainly use a vacation to California just have to find the time. I would love it and would do it if time allowed. Believe me. Thanks for the invite just the same.

I will provide a reciprocal invitation to all for a round table discussion here in beautiful Somerset County NJ. I will supply the JD Honey/Southern Comfort (my favorite) and the beer. Hell, we can even hang out and BBQ and swim in the pool. We can even tour the local sites like, well...Bada Bing on Rt. 17 to continue our discussions over drinks. I'll bring a Registry.

Rodknock: If roller prices go to $160K as I heard that alloy CSX that sold for $138K is a great buy in MHO.

Last edited by REAL 1; 08-19-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
Sooooooooo, if I purchase a polished Al body from Kirkham @ $15K ( Kirkham site price ) and remount it on my CSX4000 I could ask $$$,$$$. Just thinkin.......
Interesting. You would have a re-bodied Shelby. Can you mount the aluminum body on the bird cage used in Fiberglass Shelbys. I'm not sure???
Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have no idea what modifications would be required or if it can be done. Kirkham did it . Like to hear from Nick/McCluskey...........The pros know....Cheers
Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Well, I could certainly use a vacation to California just have to find the time. I would love it and would do it if time allowed. Believe me. Thanks for the invite just the same.

I will provide a reciprocal invitation to all for a round table discussion here in beautiful Somerset County NJ. I will supply the JD Honey/Southern Comfort (my favorite) and the beer. Hell, we can even hang out and BBQ and swim in the pool. We can even tour the local sites like, well...Bada Bing on Rt. 17 to continue our discussions over drinks. I'll bring a Registry.

Rodknock: If roller prices go to $160K as I heard that alloy CSX that sold for $138K is a great buy in MHO.
I'll do the same, we can meet at my place in Vegas, we will go to the Shelby factory to see all the cars, then off to the strip, I have aged Tequila, should be fun...
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
And it might be a great buy, but I think it's "market" as of now. And has been for some time. Moving the CSX alloy roller prices from $140,000 to $160,000 may or may not have an effect.

But, if there is an effect, in relative terms, the difference won't be statistically different from any of the Cobra manufacturers, who have raised roller prices and/or will raise their prices.

As I mentioned, rollers offered by Backdraft, Superformance, ERA and Kirkham will rise too. And have.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evan,

I can answer that. If the frame has no body, then sure. If the frame already has the glass shell attached, then no.
The glass shell would be virtually impossible to remove from the frame, I've tried it. Not only is it riveted it is also glued with the strongest compound I've ever seen. This is especially true with the later HST and SA cars. Tom (Toms Motorsports has also tried without good results)
Best, Bret.

Last edited by bret a ewing; 08-19-2013 at 02:56 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
You got that slightly wrong, they charge $15k to polish an aluminum body on one of their cars. That price does not include the aluminum body.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could cut the front upright out of the car, the part that has the CSX#### on it, remove the CSX vin plate and send it to the Kirkham plant in Poland for a re-body in ally.
Make sure you contact the SAAC registry to update the changes.
Then it's a matter of moving everything over to the "new" CSX.

Bret.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh BTW, probably a year wait..................
Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Here's CSX4390 with aluminum body and a FI Kroyer engine sold by the AE Collection here in CA. The AE Collection sells really high end low mileage cars that they don't keep in their collection. Last asking price was $150,000. Sold for $138,000:

Shelby : CSX Cobra CSX in Shelby | eBay Motors

For posterity here's the verbiage w/o the history lesson:

"Numbered CSX4390 and complete with a Shelby American VIN plate, this outstanding 1965 Shelby Cobra was sold new for $250,000. Finishline Motorsports of Las Vegas built it, with power delivered by an awesome, fuel-injected 427 alloy V-8 built by Kroyer Racing Engines, also of Las Vegas, the famed off-road racing experts. Highly desirable features include a lightweight aluminum body, unlike the cast majority of fiberglass-bodied Cobras, d bumpers, front and rear jacking points, side pipes, wind wings, and a driver’s roll bar. Pro-built, it is sure to deliver an incredible driving experience with truly brutal performance, channeling the legendary original with the benefit of today’s refinements and new technologies."

Normally, I wouldn't be impressed with a engine builder's name such as Kroyer, but I believe ERA Chas mentioned he knows the name and thought they were a top-notch engine builder.

So, new alloy CSX rollers are allegedly $160,000 or you can pick up a very nice nearly new (1,100 +/- miles) alloy CSX with a FI engine for $138,000. Hmmm.
I think most guys would be proud to have that engine in thier automobile. They make great engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
And it might be a great buy, but I think it's "market" as of now. And has been for some time. Moving the CSX alloy roller prices from $140,000 to $160,000 may or may not have an effect.

But, if there is an effect, in relative terms, the difference won't be statistically different from any of the Cobra manufacturers, who have raised roller prices and/or will raise their prices.

As I mentioned, rollers offered by Backdraft, Superformance, ERA and Kirkham will rise too. And have.
I actually did bid on this vehicle. Never interested to own one but for maybe one reason. I emailed the company and later spoke to a rep and answered all my questions. Took a look at it while in Malibu and it was sweet. I think I would have bid higher if the colors were reversed, never know what another bidder would have pushed it to. I am limited in the knowledge department on market value on these and asked someone that knows better than I. Maybe market value but with that engine and compared to the few I've seen maybe it was a bargain. My gut sort of sides with bargain. Not that money was a concern I made several purchases recently at that Auctions America in Cali that sold off many of the Petersons Museum vehicles. Haven't made a purchase in a long time.

Can I ask what a similarly equipped Kirkham new would go for compared to this one NEW?

Last edited by OnyxRider; 08-19-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Closed Thread