Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Dissapointing year end with my Roush 427R

As I pulled off the highway and up to the traffic light...I heard a strange "metal rattling" noise. I was sure it was the car next to me but my car also sounded like it was running on only 7 cyl's. As I started away gently I heard heard the same strange noises. This was confirmation that it was really coming from my car. I immediately pulled over and shut her down. All temps and guages were normal as was oil and coolant levels. I had the car towed back to my house. After another complete visual I dropped the oil to look for metal shavings...still nothing. Convinced it was a rod/bearing I pulled the oil pan to find a small piece of metal in the pan. I contacted Roush immediately to diagnose the problem. I spoke to Mark who was tough to get a hold of but was excellent, knowledgeable and very patient helping me over the phone. The piece was actually a fragment of a "dogbone" that holds the lifters in place. Upon furthur examination there is also damage to the camshaft. The engine has less than 2600 miles on it and I was told by Roush "its out of warranty". I have had a few other issues ... the carburator had to be changed because of hesitation, the H20 pump and I have had an oil burning issue from the beginning. The dealer looked at a few things but I was basicaly put off until they did a leak down test (within the warranty period). The results were normal..per the dealer and Roush. That obviously didn't stop the oil consumption and now I need the engine removed the "dogbones" and the camshaft replaced...the oil consumption issue fixed... and hopefully have the car back on the road for spring. I paid a bit more for the Roush to have piece of mind... Can anyone help?? Any Ideas???
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Really sorry to hear about your problems. I'm interested in what caused your oil consumption and what you did to fix it.

I recently purchased a Superformance with a Roush 427SR, seems the car has been well maintained and taken care of. Those who knew the car with the previous owner support this. But I have found under normal driving conditions it is consuming a bit or oil. No real leaks, no smoke, so I'm kind of confused. Will do a compression and leak down test maybe this weekend to set what that tells me.

Benny

Last edited by Varmit; 10-17-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Why is it out of warranty, did I miss something?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Why is it out of warranty, did I miss something?
Cause it's broken, silly... you know the rules!

You should document the original problems, and contact them again, very politely but firmly indicating that the problem started while it was under warranty and was never fixed to your satisfaction, and, therefore, they need to step up to the plate to make it right. You may have to do this in writing, but this might be just enough to get them to look into it for you.

Good luck!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The dealer bought the engine in late 2007, I only got the car on the road late 2008. The oil consumption got progressively worse. I had faith in the dealer and didnt report them to Roush. That being said the mechanic had a few ideas why it would be burning oil... idling too long etc. In the meanwhile the warranty "ran out".
As for the documentation, If I'm luck I might still have an email that was within the "warranty period. Everything else was verbal.
I did contact Roush with a firm letter , through Mark and "my case" was revised at the Engine Department Oversight Comittee" meeting last Tuesday ...only to be told the engine was out of warranty NO EXCEPTIONS, but that they would offer me replacement parts at a reduced rate. This is not at all what I was expecting from Roush or such a high dollar engine!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

@Varmit, there is another post on here where a guy had a 402 and even after it was rebuilt it still consumed oil way beyond normal limits and Roush replaced the whole thing at their expense with a 427R.... I am going to contact him to see who he spoke to! Mark at Roush told me to try Rotella-T 15w40. apparently (after doing some research on the net and with an engine shop) there is a special additive in it that counteracts the oil burning.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by james911pro View Post
@Varmit, there is another post on here where a guy had a 402 and even after it was rebuilt it still consumed oil way beyond normal limits and Roush replaced the whole thing at their expense with a 427R.... I am going to contact him to see who he spoke to! Mark at Roush told me to try Rotella-T 15w40. apparently (after doing some research on the net and with an engine shop) there is a special additive in it that counteracts the oil burning.
We are the dealer who installed and serviced that 402 under warranty and it was within the first year of the 2 year warranty and all procedures for reporting/documenting the issue were followed.

It should be noted the Roush warranty begins 6 months after the engine is shipped unless you send in the warranty card sooner. We have never inventoried a Roush engine for this reason.

The Roush warranty was rewritten in February 2011 so it is no longer as extensive as the past. I still feel it is among the best, it just became a little tighter and you have to be a lot more proactive in the documentation.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

[quote=PDUB;1157082]Cause it's broken, silly... you know the rules!

LMAO, ye of little faith, Roush is fixin' mine as we speak and the ecm should be ready in a week or so and the reinstal and testing completed by middle of next month. Timing is good since I have to be Stateside during November so maybe I'll get to put more than 78 miles on it this time.

Cheers, tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 10-18-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by james911pro View Post
The dealer bought the engine in late 2007, I only got the car on the road late 2008. The oil consumption got progressively worse. I had faith in the dealer and didnt report them to Roush. That being said the mechanic had a few ideas why it would be burning oil... idling too long etc. In the meanwhile the warranty "ran out".
As for the documentation, If I'm luck I might still have an email that was within the "warranty period. Everything else was verbal.
I did contact Roush with a firm letter , through Mark and "my case" was revised at the Engine Department Oversight Comittee" meeting last Tuesday ...only to be told the engine was out of warranty NO EXCEPTIONS, but that they would offer me replacement parts at a reduced rate. This is not at all what I was expecting from Roush or such a high dollar engine!
You've had the car on the road for 3 years with a 4 year old engine, it's hard to find fault in anyone but your dealer for not reporting it right away with you. An engine should not exhibit these problems, yes. But when and if they do it has to be properly addressed.

Roush has shipped over 1000 of the SBF 427s so the track record is pretty good
Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My engine itself has not had any mechanical issues. The fuel injection system was never right, and I footed the entire bill even after they said they would either (1) refund my payment for the shop time in Livonia or (2) send someone out to work on it [I already had it done by a local Accel DFI guy]. I'd be reluctant to buy another one of their engines.

Warranties are considered a liability on the company's books. If I were Roush I would be banking on the typical Cobra user profile: Buy a relatively expensive with a short warranty knowing that it won't be used enough to expose hardly any problems within the warranty period. I can see them not covering picky things after a time period but pieces falling off the inside should be covered for an extended time period or say 12000 miles.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Sorry that you have this issue and thanks for the post.

I'm planning on an engine upgrade and the Roush 427 was on the short list. There are plenty of companies now that make great engines, to me the decision will be the company that stands behind their products. This is not the first time that I've heard of them not taking responsibility for an engine that was "flawed" (during warranty and after)

While no company is perfect, how problems are addressed says a lot about who they are as people and a company. It looks like Levy Racing, Forte, and Keith Craft have moved further up the list
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
You've had the car on the road for 3 years with a 4 year old engine, it's hard to find fault in anyone but your dealer for not reporting it right away with you. An engine should not exhibit these problems, yes. But when and if they do it has to be properly addressed.

Roush has shipped over 1000 of the SBF 427s so the track record is pretty good
I am hoping someone can help me talk to the right person at Roush who will step up and take responsibility even if the dealer didnt. The Engine doesn't even have 3000miles on it...has NEVER been on a track or drag strip! The broken dogbone simply falls under DEFECTIVE parts and or workmanship...in no way is it linked to abuse...nor is the oil burning issue since the beginning. I am glad to hear there are good delaers like you who take such good care of your customers... how far of a drive are you from Montreal?? lol
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Sorry that you have this issue and thanks for the post.

I'm planning on an engine upgrade and the Roush 427 was on the short list. There are plenty of companies now that make great engines, to me the decision will be the company that stands behind their products. This is not the first time that I've heard of them not taking responsibility for an engine that was "flawed" (during warranty and after)

While no company is perfect, how problems are addressed says a lot about who they are as people and a company. It looks like Levy Racing, Forte, and Keith Craft have moved further up the list
I'm not sure what to say, IF Roush steps up on this the i'll get back to you and give Roush my vote once again for stepping up for sure! I have a business and HAVE NEVER refused a warranty claim! Especially not in a situation like this. I have fixed warranty claims from other dealers and that has extended a great service reputation for my company. I paid a bit more for Roush hope for the same if ever... $hit happens, things break and I understand that.... but as everyone says it NEEDS to be addressed! Roush could potentially lose another sale from you.

Don't get me wrong I was always VERY happy with the perfrmance the sound and look of the engine!!! Actually its insane... My buddy has a bigblock FE and I can pass him every time! If Roush helps me out on this one there we NO better embassador for roush than me.... especially when I need to order my new engine for the SPF GT40.

Last edited by james911pro; 10-18-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=tin-man;1157130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDUB View Post
Cause it's broken, silly... you know the rules!

LMAO, ye of little faith, Roush is fixin' mine as we speak and the ecm should be ready in a week or so and the reinstal and testing completed by middle of next month. Timing is good since I have to be Stateside during November so maybe I'll get to put more than 78 miles on it this time.

Cheers, tin-man
Tin-Man... who are you dealing with @ Roush to get this done?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3985:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

Warranties are considered a liability on the company's books. ......

I can see them not covering picky things after a time period but pieces falling off the inside should be covered for an extended time period or say 12000 miles.

I agree, the cost of some of these motors are as much as a new kia. A car that as a daily driver I'd put more miles on in 30 days than I do my cobra in 3 years. It's unexceptionable that in 2600 miles internal parts are breaking.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
Default Roush 402R oil problems

Hi guys:

I don't know who Cashburn was referring to, but I had Roush 402R 369 (bought through Gear 6 Performance in Boise), and the problems sound exactly like mine. It ran well, but burned oil from day one (300 miles/qt) and eventually it went back to Roush for a rebuild, after which it burned even more oil (100 miles/qt). I put 6800 miles on it in the time I had it. After trying this, that, and the other thing, they gave me a new 427SRX. They paid for all the mechanics time, the shipping, and odds and ends.

My warranty (started in June 2009) was for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever was shorter. I dealt directly with Roush, and filed a warranty claim in October last year, and the new motor was installed last June, so it took a long time and a LOT of back and forth (fortunately, it rains all winter in the PNW, so it was a good time to have to mess with it). I went through Mark Yagelo, and he can be very difficult to contact (travels all the time) and may not respond to e-mails, but he is helpful when you can talk with him.

If you (who started this thread) PM me with your contact info, I will give you my contact info if you want to talk. I have a lot of info that might help you.

David
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And to think Roush upcharges these engines because of his name, what a joke, I have said for years he is right up there with the Shelbys of this world, no wonder Blykins, Survival motorsports, and Craft have such a good name, quality builds with there name backing it.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Personally, I would want any engine that I purchased to last more than 2,600 miles. Period. They may or may not help you, but you're not the first on this forum to have a problem with a Roush engine.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe Mr Jack Roush himself should join the forum and expalin himself, ya right.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 2765 Roush 427(POS) with cruise.
Not Ranked     

james911pro,
Although my problems weren't as bad as yours, I feel your pain. My motor #795 was rebuilt after 6k and now has another 4k and still uses oil. Now my warranty is over and I'm stuck but will continue to drive it. Roush's quality control has alot of problems. Last Roush ever. They just can't build an engine. 209

Tags
consumption, oil, roush 427r, superformance, warranty issue