Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Cobra Talk Areas > ALL COBRA TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2020
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree66Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2020, 11:38 AM
t walgamuth's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lafayette, IN
Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Posts: 1,051
Not Ranked     
Default

I like history too.
__________________
Cobra loving, autocrossing Grandpa Architect.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2020, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: melbourne, vic
Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Posts: 289
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
kyleb,

What is the situation in Victoria now? I know you now have club/historic registration, so with that, do you still need to meet an emissions standard, or is it 'open season'?

Cheers,
Glen

edit: attn Mr. Dimis - any comments from you?
G’day Glen
All bets are off with Club/historic registration in Vic nowadays which is great for cars that can’t get full registration or owners that want to utilise the much reduced rego cost.
Club registration can be problematic if you want to drive between states though.
I wanted full registration for my car so that I wouldn’t be restricted in any way.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 PM
xb-60's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Cobra Make, Engine: 289FIA 'English' spec.
Posts: 7,890
Not Ranked     
Default

G'day kyleb,

"all bets are off" means that if on historic registration, there are no emissions requirements....yes?

We (SA) don't have a historic registration yet for our Cobras (club is working on it, but it's a monumentally slow process). My Alfa is on "conditional" registration (90 days a year, on a log book), and from memory the car can be taken interstate. Oh, for consistency between States!

Cheers,
Glen


edit: apologies Dimis, I'm a little off-topic

Last edited by xb-60; 05-16-2020 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Thor maine's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Posts: 652
Not Ranked     
Default

Well I just had to say something! AC cars Ltd back in the day at least 2 Cobras left their factory with Chevy engines, FACT! They used Ford engines but were not required to, if a customer wanted a Chevy they got a Chevy in their COBRA from the factory. And today AC Cars what ever that means now uses GM LS engines. And a former Shelby mechanic back in the sixties who later went on to build his own Cobra kit car told me that back in the late sixties and early seventies as a privateer racer the trick was to pull the 427 ford and put in a 427 Chevy because as a privateer you could afford to race and win or race and blow a motor and with a Chevy you could afford to be out racing the next weekend and with a Ford sideoiler , well who could afford that with out factory sponsorship?? So a Chevy in a COBRA is not without precedence.
kyleb likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 02:36 AM
Alfa02's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427S/O / JCF 289 Slabside.
Posts: 953
Not Ranked     
Default

@ Thor maine, that may be true (I believe you are speaking of Ron Butler, as the builder of the kit cars), you could put a 427 Chev. in a Cobra and be back racing the next weekend. But you couldn't run in A Production, they (SCCA) would put you in A Sports Racing, which in the day was known as Group 7, CamAm's humble beginning, which during that time, had a LOT of Lola T-70, both open cockpit, and closed, McLaren Mk. 1A though and up to the M8E. Not counting the one off Genie's, or any other Group 7 cars that happen to showed up. The Cobra would be back of the pack car, at the very best. TommyRot P.S. The name Group 7, came about because it was more then likely the last race of the day, and kept the crowds there, as they were the fastest cars of the day (Lots of Thunder & Action There is a well known fact that by the third or fourth lap, your Beer or Pop would be flat from the sound (True story, I was there)
xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by Alfa02; 05-19-2020 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: added a word
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Posts: 9,187
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
Well I just had to say something! AC cars Ltd back in the day at least 2 Cobras left their factory with Chevy engines, FACT! They used Ford engines but were not required to, if a customer wanted a Chevy they got a Chevy in their COBRA from the factory. And today AC Cars what ever that means now uses GM LS engines. And a former Shelby mechanic back in the sixties who later went on to build his own Cobra kit car told me that back in the late sixties and early seventies as a privateer racer the trick was to pull the 427 ford and put in a 427 Chevy because as a privateer you could afford to race and win or race and blow a motor and with a Chevy you could afford to be out racing the next weekend and with a Ford sideoiler , well who could afford that with out factory sponsorship?? So a Chevy in a COBRA is not without precedence.
My first statement would be, prove it. Let's see some documentation. Hearsay doesn't count, because I'm sure there have been all kinds of stories passed down over the decades.

Second statement is, if an AC car came with a Chevy, that's all fine and good, but that's not the same as building a Shelby Cobra. Show me a CSX car with a Chevy engine.
cycleguy55 likes this.
__________________
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 04:51 AM
Thor maine's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Posts: 652
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
My first statement would be, prove it. Let's see some documentation. Hearsay doesn't count, because I'm sure there have been all kinds of stories passed down over the decades.

Second statement is, if an AC car came with a Chevy, that's all fine and good, but that's not the same as building a Shelby Cobra. Show me a CSX car with a Chevy engine.
Yes you are right AC Cars Ltd had nothing to do with the building of the Cobra and the AC 289 that was sold in Europe and the rest of the world is a completely different car , how stupid of me! How could I had made such a mistake? I am more of the AC built the car , Shelby turned into a world champion race car! A COB or COX will do just fine!

Last edited by Thor maine; 05-19-2020 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Posts: 9,187
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
Shelby turned into a world champion race car!
With a Ford engine.
cycleguy55 likes this.
__________________
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:52 AM
Thor maine's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Posts: 652
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
With a Ford engine.
And Chevy/GM engines they have never have never won anything??? ( Because I have read that GM powered cars have more titles than all other manufacturers combined, FACT)
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Posts: 9,187
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default

Sure they do.

But getting back to the point at hand, GM winning something doesn't detract from the fact that there were no Shelby Cobras that had Chevy engines. I'm also still waiting to hear/see your proof that AC used Chevy engines.

Listen, you guys can put whatever engine you want in your Cobras. However, I'm done with all of this "Well Shelby thought about...." or "I once heard that...." It didn't happen. There were no Shelby Cobras with Chevy engines and there is not a rumor true enough to justify that decision. I wish guys would just say, "I put a Chevy engine in my car because I found one cheap." That would be more truthful than trying to justify all the hear-say.

BTW, adding "FACT" at the end of a paragraph doesn't lend any more credible evidence to your argument. Let's see some documentation.
xb-60 and cycleguy55 like this.
__________________
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 09:04 AM
Thor maine's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Posts: 652
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Sure they do.

But getting back to the point at hand, GM winning something doesn't detract from the fact that there were no Shelby Cobras that had Chevy engines. I'm also still waiting to hear/see your proof that AC used Chevy engines.

Listen, you guys can put whatever engine you want in your Cobras. However, I'm done with all of this "Well Shelby thought about...." or "I once heard that...." It didn't happen. There were no Shelby Cobras with Chevy engines and there is not a rumor true enough to justify that decision. I wish guys would just say, "I put a Chevy engine in my car because I found one cheap." That would be more truthful than trying to justify all the hear-say.

BTW, adding "FACT" at the end of a paragraph doesn't lend any more credible evidence to your argument. Let's see some documentation.
Now I have to go dig out the books!
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Posts: 9,187
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default

Well, unless it's a CSX registry, you're not gonna have much luck. FACT!
cycleguy55 likes this.
__________________
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

if you want to put a chevy engine in a Cobra start with a 63 corvette replica.

The first time I saw someone put a 351C in a Cobra I was disappointed...let alone a Chevy... Chevy engines are great, but wrong. If you want to do it to prove you are a non conformist, go to Starbucks and order a large black coffee.

Cobra's have ford drive train. If there was ever a Shelby installed chevy engine, in a real Cobra, it was because somebody got drunk one night and when they woke up the next day had to chew their arm off to sneak out.

Last edited by maui; 05-19-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:16 AM
joyridin''s Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,526
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui View Post
if you want to put a chevy engine in a Cobra start with a 63 corvette replica.

The first time I saw someone put a 351C in a Cobra I was disappointed...let alone a Chevy... Chevy engines are great, but wrong. If you want to do it to prove you are a non conformist, go to Starbucks and order a large black coffee.

Cobra's have ford drive train. If there was ever a Shelby installed chevy engine, in a real Cobra, it was because somebody got drunk one night and when they woke up the next day had to chew their arm off to sneak out.
I would say probably 50-75% of Cobras do not have a Ford drive train. They might have a Ford engine, but the transmission and rear axle were not made by Ford.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Mike I's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Posts: 494
Not Ranked     
Default

Incredible silliness...some of you folks act like there's some sort of automotive cultural appropriation going on here...get a grip, this is a hobby for most of us, not a lifestyle.
joyridin' and Alfa02 like this.
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I would say probably 50-75% of Cobras do not have a Ford drive train. They might have a Ford engine, but the transmission and rear axle were not made by Ford.
fair enough.

Ford engine.

Halibrands are not a ford or chevy item but still look good (for what ever equivalent wheel)

Don't get me wrong, I like Chevy engines and cars but I'm not gonna put a 426 Hemi in a 67 Camaro because it fits....I think it fits anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: cleveland, OH
Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Posts: 1,946
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui View Post
I like Chevy engines and cars but I'm not gonna put a 426 Hemi in a 67 Camaro because it fits....I think it fits anyway.
I love quotes.

I was watching a drag racing documentary, and they interviewed Ronnie Sox.
He stated drag racers were in one of two groups . They were either running a hemi, or they wish they were running a hemi.
__________________
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2020
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 25
Not Ranked     
Default

Hemi's are better engines. If they have 4 cams even better.

Put a Cobra body on a Prius for all I care. My persona taste is that an FE engine looks best in between the frame rails but if someone has a 572" chevy in there its a super fun car.

If you're born in a Cobra body and self identify as a Corvette I don't think less of the car. I might tease a little, but fast is fast.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: cleveland, OH
Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Posts: 1,946
Not Ranked     
Default

There are a lot of great engines! Sometimes , it’s hard to pick! I agree, I would not put a hemi in a camaro.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maui View Post
If you're born in a Cobra body and self identify as a Corvette I don't think less of the car.
Interesting thought! So which car is the male?
__________________
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 PM
xb-60's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Cobra Make, Engine: 289FIA 'English' spec.
Posts: 7,890
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I would say probably 50-75% of Cobras do not have a Ford drive train. They might have a Ford engine, but the transmission and rear axle were not made by Ford.
Ford didn't make the CSX Cobra's differentials. They are Salisbury 4HU diffs
Alfa02 likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink