21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

I'm serious now....it's amazing what you can do with a little ol' Kent engine!

Cheers!
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I can't seem to be able to load pictures? Tips?
Old 05-22-2020, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
I can't seem to be able to load pictures? Tips?
I use Flickr.

You can email them to me and I'll post them for you if you wish.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mike I: I used to have a Cobra and got rid of it just because I'm a purist. I don't like Chevy engines, I don't like TKO's, I don't like twin roll bars, I don't like 18" wheels, I don't like 95" wheelbases, etc, etc. It got to me to the point where I gave up because the amount of effort that I was putting into making the car more original was futile. I also don't like "tribute cars" or "clones".
Then what are you doing here? Serious question, since very few cars discussed on this site adhere to your phony notion of purity.

And no hurt feelings here, I don't confuse enjoyment of automotive pursuits to childish emotional equivalence as you and olddog eagerly relish. I don't give a rat's ass what you think about anything at all, but you talk BS trash as though you hold some sort of moral high ground and you deserve to be called out for doing it.

To you olddog, based on your idiotic rantings, all I care to say is that you need to seek help.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike I View Post
Then what are you doing here? Serious question, since very few cars discussed on this site adhere to your phony notion of purity.

And no hurt feelings here, I don't confuse enjoyment of automotive pursuits to childish emotional equivalence as you and olddog eagerly relish. I don't give a rat's ass what you think about anything at all, but you talk BS trash as though you hold some sort of moral high ground and you deserve to be called out for doing it.

To you olddog, based on your idiotic rantings, all I care to say is that you need to seek help.
What am I doing here? Because I like cobras and build a lot of engines for cobra guys.

Calm yourself down and go back to your safe space.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

The best help for a grouchy attitude is a brisk ride in the country in a Cobra.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
What am I doing here? Because I like cobras and build a lot of engines for cobra guys.

Calm yourself down and go back to your safe space.
9k+ posts, I guess this is your safe space, sorry for intruding.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
The best help for a grouchy attitude is a brisk ride in the country in a Cobra.
I think I'll do just that...
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool! Now that is what this site is all about!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:

So I have the audacity to disagree with your position, and I am an idiot that needs medical help.

I had no idea that publicly stating "a replica of an iconic car with a rich history should at least have an engine from the same manufacturer," was being a purest and talking BS trash. My bad.

I have consistently said a Cobra should (not must) have a Ford engine, but if not, at least be creative or have a good reason to put something else in it. Hardly the position of a purest, I might add. I take the most issue with mindlessly sticking a SBC in a Cobra.

So please help me to understand why a Cobra should have a Chevy engine installed. Please state why a Chevy engine is the best pick for a Shelby Cobra kit car. Be as passionate as you want. I will not judge. I really want to understand where I went insane.

Last edited by olddog; 05-22-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

its all about right or wrong

Chevy in a Cobra is wrong....its that easy
Old 05-22-2020, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My car was built by Herb and Matt Adams. They have a long history with GM engines and cars. Nothing in the car chassis or drive train has anything to do with the original cobra, though I am told the body, dash and such are very true to the original.

When they built the car for the original owner, Steve Urban, it was built to his specification which apparently included the all aluminum Brodex chevy based small block bored and stroked to 427 CI. It has a forged crank, h section racing style rods, roller lifters and roller rockers.

I imagine the Adams' did not discourage from it.

I will say this though, there is plenty of room in the engine bay for a big block ford. The chevy actually leaves a bit of room around it for getting parts in and out.

It is a hand build supercar and other than the body shares nothing with an original cobra. It contains a boat load of top quality racing style parts. It weighs about 2000# and has I suppose at least 500 hp. It will definitely keep your attention focused on driving it. It does go very fast and gets a lot of thumbs up.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 05-22-2020 at 08:32 PM..
Old 05-22-2020, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
9k+ posts, I guess this is your safe space, sorry for intruding.
Yep, I've been here a very long time.

Everywhere is my safe space because I feel that anyone should be able to speak their opinion without being attacked by someone that gets their feelings hurt easily.

If you don't agree with me, then say so, and backup your premise.

But saying that there are replicas and there are kit cars isn't anything to get wadded up about. It's simply the truth of this industry.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My car was built by Herb and Matt Adams. They have a long history with GM engines and cars. Nothing in the car chassis or drive train has anything to do with the original cobra, though I am told the body, dash and such are very true to the original.

When they built the car for the original owner, Steve (forgot last name for the moment), it was built to his specification which apparently included the all aluminum Brodex chevy based small block bored and stroked to 427 CI. It has a forged crank, h section racing style rods, roller lifters and roller rockers.

I imagine the Adams' did not discourage from it.

I will say this though, there is plenty of room in the engine bay for a big block ford. The chevy actually leaves a bit of room around it for getting parts in and out.

It is a hand build supercar and other than the body shares nothing with an original cobra. It contains a boat load of top quality racing style parts. It weighs about 2000# and has I suppose at least 500 hp. It will definitely keep your attention focused on driving it. It does go very fast and gets a lot of thumbs up.
I'm sure it is a nice car. It has a good reliable engine that makes plenty of power. Don't misunderstand me. I am not spitting on your Cobra, and I have no issue with you. Maybe the original owner had a good reason or maybe he did not. My issue, if I had one, would be with the original owner, but what's done is done. I'm more interested in getting the generations, to come, to think before they act.

Last edited by olddog; 05-22-2020 at 11:03 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
So I have the audacity to disagree with your position, and I am an idiot that needs medical help.

I had no idea that publicly stating "a replica of an iconic car with a rich history should at least have an engine from the same manufacturer," was being a purest and talking BS trash. My bad.

I have consistently said a Cobra should (not must) have a Ford engine, but if not, at least be creative or have a good reason to put something else in it. Hardly the position of a purest, I might add. I take the most issue with mindlessly sticking a SBC in a Cobra.

So please help me to understand why a Cobra should have a Chevy engine installed. Please state why a Chevy engine is the best pick for a Shelby Cobra kit car. Be as passionate as you want. I will not judge. I really want to understand where I went insane.
No interest in being drawn into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you don't agree with me, then say so, and backup your premise.
I've said so, what's more to discuss. Guys like you argue for the sake of argument.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
I'm sure it is a nice car. It has a good reliable engine that makes plenty of power. Don't misunderstand me. I am not spitting on your Cobra, and I have no issue with you. Maybe the original owner had a good reason or maybe he did not. My issue, if I had one, would be with the original owner, but what's done is done. I'm more interested in getting the generations to come to think before they act.
If I had been able to choose things it would have some sort of Ford and IRS. I'd probably go with a Windsor based engine too. I might go with some sort of tranny with dogs instead of synchros too.

It is pretty fun as it is.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No interest in being drawn into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
That's what I thought.

Your position is so obviously correct that you do not need to explain it.

You put words in my mouth (figure of speech) that I did not say.

You try to shut me up by pointing out my Cobra is far from a copy of an original, when I never said it was nor was that ever the subject.

You attach me personally, when I eloquently pointed out what an asinine argument that was.

Is that because you cannot defend your position? Talk about me assuming to have the high moral ground.

I think your next step might be to contact the moderators, and ask I be kicked out. After all I am an idiot in need of medical help. Do you have a re-education camp you could recommend?

Reread post #6. I said it was partially tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by olddog; 05-22-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If I had been able to choose things it would have some sort of Ford and IRS. I'd probably go with a Windsor based engine too. I might go with some sort of tranny with dogs instead of synchros too.

It is pretty fun as it is.
When it is well put together and runs great, why spend a bunch of money fixing things that are not broken? Economically it makes no sense. That is why I never changed a lot on my own Cobra.

If money were no object for me, I would buy a Kirkham and drop a 427 FE in it. If I owned an original I could not enjoy risking it on the streets, so I would choose a Kirkham over an original, if money didn't matter and I had to choose one. Otherwise I would own both.

My second engine choice would be a 390/445 stroker FE. My next would be a Windsor or a Clevor. I also have to admit that the 385 series is a great engine to make a lot of torque for little money. It's a tight fit, but they will fit.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've said so, what's more to discuss. Guys like you argue for the sake of argument.
"Guys like you..."

"No interest in being drawn into a battle of wits with an unarmed man...."

Nothing like resorting to off-handed/derogatory comments.....

You're a real piece of work.