Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I have attached a picture of the footbox from an original 427 comp car. This is the same location where my footswitch is located, but I just can't my foot there. It's a lot further behind the pedals than it appears.
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Which Wife refers to what as "the red mistress?"
2nd / current wife.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Foot switches and standard transmissions are a bad combo. When I was young, I was downshifting while going through a corner at night with my high beams on. A car came through the corner from the opposite direction with one of my feet on the brake and the other on the clutch. No way to lower my high beams, oh well, too bad for him I thought. Then as the car drove by I realized that it was a State Trooper . I thought for sure that he was going to turn around and ticket me, but never did.
I never had that problem with my '56 Ford - the problem with that dimmer switch was how it pushed through the floorpan after rust (a.k.a. Detroit cancer) had taken its toll. LOL
Old 01-06-2021, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Put it on the back of the clutch pedal, then you activate it kind of like you shift a motorcycle.
If it’s a replica you can just mount it on dash somewhere.

If it’s original mount it under dash somewhere easy to reach.

I have same thing on my 1960 Caddy Eldorado but she has a lot more room.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose930 View Post
I have attached a picture of the footbox from an original 427 comp car. This is the same location where my footswitch is located, but I just can't my foot there. It's a lot further behind the pedals than it appears.
That would be next to impossible on my car. And I'd rather have the dead pedal.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Just one more reason why I detest floor mounted pedals in a street driven Cobra. With hangers, you could put the switch in the floor below the clutch pedal. Originality on hidden details like that be damned - the stalk mounted switch isn't original either anyway, lol!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-06-2021, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My cars original builder used a 62-76 Triumph steering column and the head lamp dimmer switch is a lever on the right side of the bell opposite the turn signal switch, That is why I do not want to change steering columns. It came with a 14 1/2" three spooked steering wheel that I will be changing when converting to an IDIDIT Quick Release Steering Hub once they work out the horn connection (for me) problem.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Ok
Added the new braided lines. Correct clamps via John Bessey.

On the original cars the dead pedal had the switch in it.
At least on the 289 it’s not too bad to catch.
Kevin has a size 16 shoe so he needs driving shoes to narrow it up.
Attached Images

Mongoose930 likes this.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

When I was a kid the starter button for A Studebaker was under the clutch so you normally would depress the clutch to activate the starter. The key on the dash only worked the ignition and other stuff.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 01-06-2021 at 07:42 PM..
Old 01-06-2021, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
When I was a kid the starter button was under the clutch so you normally would depress the clutch to activate the starter. The key on the dash only worked the ignition and other stuff.
On my grandpa's truck the starter on the floor was next to the accelerator pedal so you'd push down on the gas and start at the same time. Headlight high beams ere on the left of the clutch.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
When I was a kid the starter button was under the clutch so you normally would depress the clutch to activate the starter. The key on the dash only worked the ignition and other stuff.
Dang, they actually had cars when you were a kid?
Old 01-06-2021, 06:27 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Supplementing the various posts/photos above on high beam foot switch placement in a Cobra footbox…

If useful for anyone, here’s what I did. Extended height dead pedal with integrated foot switch at the top, above where my foot naturally rests. Very easy foot access when needed, in a tactilely known sight-free position.

Granted still foot operated with a manual transmission, possibly challenging when a car emerges the opposite direction when operating the clutch, as Jim (1795) astutely points out from his experience. Otherwise, this works well for me.

Below are related progress photos from my recent footbox upgrades.

Brent

Mike I, Mongoose930, 1795 and 1 others like this.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Neat solution Brent.
I haven't decided on where to put my switch (I doubt if I can accommodate mine in the normal steering column position), so I'll have to see if I can position it similar to yours

Cheers,
Glen
EM-0785 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm replacing my steering column (with dimmer switch) with one that has no switch. Replacement is going on the dash, next to the ignition switch. I thought about using a push-button switch and a VW latching relay, but have decided to go with a toggle switch and conventional relay.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I'm replacing my steering column (with dimmer switch) with one that has no switch. Replacement is going on the dash, next to the ignition switch. I thought about using a push-button switch and a VW latching relay, but have decided to go with a toggle switch and conventional relay.
They make plenty of high current toggle switches so you might be able to skip the relay. This one is rated at 25A and is sealed:

https://www.ckswitches.com/media/2301/pt.pdf
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2019 Backdraft RT4 w/Coyote and Tremec 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I bought a 2019 Backdraft RT4 a year and 2,400 miles ago. Great car, but built to a price point. Things I changed are: New Dreamcar mirrors on each side, and removed the OEM mirror on the driver side. Waaay better vision when backing or changing lanes. I ordered the car with under-car exhaust, and I haven't missed the sidepipes at all. I did change the exhaust tips from turn-down to a straight back tip, so the dust & debris doesn't get blown up into the air while backing. My car has a coyote & tremec TKO 500. Awesome and versatile motor. Terrible transmission. Ultra Shift Oil was a big improvement, retro Hurst handle that looks like original cobra T-reverse forward leaning shift handle provides more leverage, and slightly better shifting. Next mod is the installation of the Pro 5.0 shifter and the Liberty trans modifications to make the TKO shift better. Finally, the OEM master cylinder for the clutch failed @ 2200 miles, and leaked fluid down the inside of the firewall, and is not rebuildable. It apears that the poor pedal pushrod gemoetry put a sideload on the master piston, and wore out the seal. Wilwood .70 master cylinder is now working the internal hydraulic throw out bearing much better. While on that subject, the stock Backdraft pedal assembly for clutch & brake is pretty bad. Looks like a blacksmith made it. It is very simple, but the geometry from the pedal linkage to the pushrod going into the masters is off, and makes a stiff clutch even worse with poor geometry and linkage binding. May have to put a new Tilton pedal assembly in the car to fix this eventually. Little things: I added LED footwell lights & trunk light & backup light. I added a 3/4" piece of heater hose between each seatbelt mounting clevis and the floor mounted eyelets. This eliminated the constant rattling of the seatbelt mounts by keeping a flexible rubber pressure against the belt mounts & eyelets. So, overall I love the car, beautiful, scary fast, and easy to live with day to day. Complaints: Excessive cowl shaking left / right on all roads except the smoothest blacktop. Transmission / Clutch very disappointing. Needs a 3.73 Ring & Pinion at the same time that I disassemble trans for upgrades. Hope this helps someone in their choice. MM
SGwick likes this.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

This thread has been a great read. I already owned 2 Vettes. A 61 with 2 - 4 barrels and a 66 with a 427. I wish I still had the both of them. I entertained getting another 427 C2 but never seriously looked into it because it's a 50 year old car. Not into the restomod thing. The Cobra fits my needs perfectly. Sharp looking, built with modern components, simple to work on and a blast to drive. The only thing I would have preferred is a little better rear suspension which is now offered on the newer version. For the record, I didn't buy it because of it's relationship or comparison to the original Cobra's or Ford. As far as I see, other than body style, when I look at the construction of the car, there isn't anything Ford or Cobra in it.

Fred
Old 01-09-2021, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

But Fred - a Cobra (replica) body with modern drivetrain, suspension and comforts is not that much different in concept from a restomodded classic.
I've often flirted with the idea of buying and restoring a '74 Trans Am - my first car, but I know I'd not be as happy with the overall handling and performance as I was when I was (way) younger. The thought of doing one with a modern chassis, transmission, brakes and suspension is interesting though. The big thing is that the Cobra has completely sold me on having a roadster as my fun car, so cars like the Firebird now have a lot less appeal.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-09-2021 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Restomod

I know what you are saying as far as the concept goes but I always considered them to be re-do's of older cars. As far as restoring the 74 Trans Am, it was the same story with me getting another C2. When I was all done restoring, I still had a 55 year old car.....just with newer parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
But Fred - a Cobra (replica) body with modern drivetrain, suspension and comforts is not that much different in concept from a restomodded classic.
I've often flirted with the idea of buying and restoring a '74 Trans Am - my first car, but I know I'd not be as happy with the overall handling and performance as I was when I was (way) younger. The thought of doing one with a modern chassis, transmission, brakes and suspension is interesting though. The big thing is that the Cobra has completely sold me on having a roadster as my fun car, so cars like the Firebird now have a lot less appeal.
Buzz likes this.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Invest in the absolute best fuel injection system / tuner run by a motec. 750hp and 600hp tq setup that runs on 93 octane, that spins to 7500k

Last edited by Ace23; 01-10-2021 at 04:17 PM..