Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   What is the LATEST recognition your Cobra has had recently? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/46546-what-latest-recognition-your-cobra-has-had-recently.html)

kobrabytes 08-11-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarmacscratcher (Post 973910)
Took a guy out in the cobra last year, friend of a friend....came up behind a Prius hybrid thing...and he was laughing his socks off...."why you laughing" I says..."You do realise that everything that car in front is doing for the enviroment...we are un-doing it" was his reply. :LOL:
One of the many memorable cobra moments.

Funny, I figure that I use as much fuel on a two hour cruse as they use in a month. I love the freedom to burn gas! Let's hope it lasts, at least until we run out... :p

Atlantacobra 08-12-2009 05:50 AM

What cracks me up is how the Carbon Footprint left behind during the manufacturing and shipping of those hybrid cars is many times larger than what our Cobra's will ever leave.

Snakebit 08-12-2009 06:18 PM

I live in the little town of Quinton, just outside of Salem, NJ about 20 minutes from the Delaware Memorial bridge. When I say it is a small town, it has a little post office, country store, fire house, lumber yard, and they just added a traffic light last year and that is it! The other day, I stopped for the light and 2 boys about 14 were walking their bikes. They stop and look over at the Cobra and the one kid says "Nice Shelby Mister". I say thanks and the light turns green and I pull away. As I am going down the road, I am wondering how he knew it was a Shelby at a young age living in a small town surrounded by corn fields and cow pastures. That's one sharp kid!

danw 08-12-2009 07:11 PM

The Cobra wasn't mine at the time but it is now, so I guess this story counts...

I had been kind of looking for a Cobra for several years, and SERIOUSLY looking for one since March (when the house finally sold!). Found one that my wife approved of (meaning tan interior) so worth a trip to Michigan. The photos were outstanding, but didn't do the car justice. Beautiful, non-traditional paint job. (I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how...)

Anyway, the owner took me for a demo ride: onto the freeway, off at the next exit, swing around and head back. Going up the on ramp, he turned the 500 horses loose. We were hitting 85 when we "merged" in front of a cluster of vehicles that happened to include a Deputy Sheriff. Of course he pulled us over.

The Deputy walks up and the first thing he says is "That's the prettiest car I've ever seen!." He then proceeds to mention that we chirped the tires when we came out in front of him, and the drivers around him were looking like "what are you going to do?" The Deputy says "...so I had to pull you over. I don't have to ticket you, but I had to pull you over." He walked around looking at the car. We chatted for a couple minutes, then we were on our way. No ticket. Did the deal. Cobra is now in my garage. Happy ending!:D

danw

Atlantacobra 08-13-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danw (Post 974219)
The Cobra wasn't mine at the time but it is now, so I guess this story counts...

I had been kind of looking for a Cobra for several years, and SERIOUSLY looking for one since March (when the house finally sold!). Found one that my wife approved of (meaning tan interior) so worth a trip to Michigan. The photos were outstanding, but didn't do the car justice. Beautiful, non-traditional paint job. (I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how...)

Anyway, the owner took me for a demo ride: onto the freeway, off at the next exit, swing around and head back. Going up the on ramp, he turned the 500 horses loose. We were hitting 85 when we "merged" in front of a cluster of vehicles that happened to include a Deputy Sheriff. Of course he pulled us over.

The Deputy walks up and the first thing he says is "That's the prettiest car I've ever seen!." He then proceeds to mention that we chirped the tires when we came out in front of him, and the drivers around him were looking like "what are you going to do?" The Deputy says "...so I had to pull you over. I don't have to ticket you, but I had to pull you over." He walked around looking at the car. We chatted for a couple minutes, then we were on our way. No ticket. Did the deal. Cobra is now in my garage. Happy ending!:D

danw

Great Story. Even better knowing it's an E-M!
I had the same thing happen where a cop pulled me over one day. He walked up and said "I just wanted to see the car". Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions.
Had another cop pull me over about two weeks....wasn't so cool though - he actually gave me a ticket. And to top it off, didn't even compliment the car!
It's right then that you realize the car can work for you, and sometimes against you!
-Greg

CoupedUp 08-17-2009 11:55 PM

At the Historics this week with SPF Coupe 88. Met some friends last night at the Inn at Spanish Bay. Pull up to the hotel with ALL KINDS of decandent cars around. I ask the valet where I can park. He gets a panicked look at asks me to wait a minute. He runs back to me and says, "Let me move this Rolls (a new yellow drophead coupe) and let you back it in there. It was the second car in line out front between another drophead and a Veyron. I was a bit nervous backing in, but the valet was an expert. Got out of the car and looked back at my SPF Coupe parked between a Rolls drophead and a Veyron. Made my week.

Doug

kobrabytes 08-18-2009 06:26 AM

Sunday I went for an afternoon drive up one of our canyons. I was "followed" up by two crotch rockets. At the top of the drive I pulled over and got out. The two guys who followed me up and a dozen or more Harley riders gathered around the Cobra. We chatted for a while and I told them about the car. When I was about ready to leave I fired up the engine. After hearing the engine one of the bikers commented that he was going to now go home and have sex with his wife! **)

mdross1 08-23-2009 01:51 PM

One of my favorites,pulling up to a stoplight,and beside a nice looking pickup with father and young son.They heard me, or the 460,turned to see me pull up and stop.The young boy could not contain his excitement,hollared Dad look at that car,what is it.It's a Cobra son! That sure made me smile.

CSX 4039 08-23-2009 07:16 PM

I was asked to donate my car to the local Hooter's girls hoping to get their pics into a calender, or modeling career or something.
I told them all they had to do was get it detailed, and they could use it.
Tat for Tit, so to speak. :)

HI Cobra 08-23-2009 08:00 PM

And - did they take you up on your kind offer?;)

twobjshelbys 08-23-2009 08:36 PM

Yesterday I was at the local pub for a going away party for a good friend. I'd been there and went to see if a friend was coming - he was - so I spun back about 4 or 5 minutes later to pretty much to the same spot.

On the way back in there were two women that looked at the car when I pulled up and were going inside ahead of me - probably mother and daughter - and the young one asked "what kind of car is that?" "Shelby Cobra". Then to her mom "I told you so" and she gave me a high-five.

Sharroll Celby 08-24-2009 02:31 PM

Went to a car show in Burbank, where they block off five blocks of a street. I was sitting there behind my Cobra , just people-watching. A cute young woman (with her younger son) comes up and asks if I recognize a pic on her cel phone. It was a pic of my Cobra from LAST year's show. She said she keeps my Cobra on her cel phone wallpaper, and shows it to everyone she knows.

How neat is that!!! lol !!!

CoupedUp 08-24-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharroll Celby (Post 977383)
Went to a car show in Burbank, where they block off five blocks of a street. I was sitting there behind my Cobra , just people-watching. A cute young woman (with her younger son) comes up and asks if I recognize a pic on her cel phone. It was a pic of my Cobra from LAST year's show. She said she keeps my Cobra on her cel phone wallpaper, and shows it to everyone she knows.

How neat is that!!! lol !!!

That is really cool! Did you show her the pic of her on your cell phone from last year's show???;)

Sharroll Celby 08-24-2009 09:32 PM

I dont think women are as interested in pics of their legs and rear-ends as I am!!! lol !!!

I had the snake hat there as well, but not until it got cooler...man those hats are heavy and hot!!!

saki302 08-25-2009 10:09 AM

Just as I was picking up my Cobra 3 weeks ago in Lakewood, CA, a kid rolls by on his bike saying 'nice car!'.. I'd owned it about 10 minutes at that point :D

I've been overseas for almost 2 weeks- looking forward to going home and taking it out for a drive :)

-Dave

KevinW 08-25-2009 11:23 AM

Strange thing I found: more people came up to me to chat and say 'what a lovely old car' :LOL: when it was in awful gelcoat (yellow doors n boot and grey body - result of a deal), than after it was painted (metallic green). Got the same looks, but less chat - maybe the painted car suggested i was some rich snob that wouldnt give you the time of day, and the jellopy color scheme made me look like an enthusiastic restorer run-out-cash? its probabaly a british thing. ;)

Argess 08-28-2009 03:52 PM

Not much recognition....no boob flashes, or much of anything. The 18-20 year olds do look, but that's about it.

For a while I thought it was me, but I was driving through the grocery store parking lot "in my pick-up truck" and had "Party Doll" playing at decent volume. Got a big smile from a good-looking 50ish lady sittng outside on a park bench.

Party Doll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMOM...eature=related

Back to the CObra, I did have some young fellows holler "Way to go old man!" at me as I drove through a parking lot. Must have been the gray hair.

Well, one thing did happen a few years back. I got home to find my wife's female cousin had come to visit. Seems she knew about Cobras as her ex-husband was a car nut. Anyway, she finally let it out she wanted a drive in the car.

I think I turned pale. A nice girl, but somewhere handy of 400 lbs. Butt like two 45 gallon drums strapped together. Just how was I going to get her in the car. For a moment I considered trying to make a large shoehorn out of an old 53 Chev pick-up truck hood I had behind the garage.

So off we went to the garage. My, those Cobra doors looked even smaller than I envisioned them. Somehow, I got her in....and managed to get the door shut. Got her buckled up...thank God the seatbelts were long enough. As I walked aorund the car, I wondered if I could shift into any of the gears to the right in the pattern.

We went for a drive. All good fun. Returned to the garage. She got the warning about the hot sidepipes, recieved instrucitons on how to get out, and amazinlgy did very well, and no burns.

Turned out she had a blast. Made it all worthwhile after all.

SKINNEDR 09-01-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argess (Post 978722)
Not much recognition....no boob flashes, or much of anything. The 18-20 year olds do look, but that's about it.

For a while I thought it was me, but I was driving through the grocery store parking lot "in my pick-up truck" and had "Party Doll" playing at decent volume. Got a big smile from a good-looking 50ish lady sittng outside on a park bench.

Party Doll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMOM...eature=related

Back to the CObra, I did have some young fellows holler "Way to go old man!" at me as I drove through a parking lot. Must have been the gray hair.

Well, one thing did happen a few years back. I got home to find my wife's female cousin had come to visit. Seems she knew about Cobras as her ex-husband was a car nut. Anyway, she finally let it out she wanted a drive in the car.

I think I turned pale. A nice girl, but somewhere handy of 400 lbs. Butt like two 45 gallon drums strapped together. Just how was I going to get her in the car. For a moment I considered trying to make a large shoehorn out of an old 53 Chev pick-up truck hood I had behind the garage.

So off we went to the garage. My, those Cobra doors looked even smaller than I envisioned them. Somehow, I got her in....and managed to get the door shut. Got her buckled up...thank God the seatbelts were long enough. As I walked aorund the car, I wondered if I could shift into any of the gears to the right in the pattern.

We went for a drive. All good fun. Returned to the garage. She got the warning about the hot sidepipes, recieved instrucitons on how to get out, and amazinlgy did very well, and no burns.

Turned out she had a blast. Made it all worthwhile after all.

I admire you! You are a brave man....
Dex...

77z 09-01-2009 09:43 AM

I was at a campground in Arkansas. A middle age lady and her about 12 year old daughter walked up and the lady asked what kind of car I had. I said it was a replica of a 65 Shelby Cobra. She said " I thought so. That is the car my daughter, Shelby is named after." I let the daughter sit in it and the mother took a lot of pictures.

Ken

lovehamr 09-01-2009 11:00 AM

77, that's cool.