LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
Not the latest recognition of my Cobra, but one of the most unusual I have encountered. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were out for a cruise along Lake Ontario in upstate NY and saw a Prius coming toward us. He flashed his headlights and pulled off the side of the road, so I slowed to see what was going on. As we slowly drove by we saw the owner of the Prius hanging out his window bowing to us with a big smile on his face.
A while back a female Prius owner pulled up to me at a light and rolled down her window for what I thought was going to be some sort of rant about the environment (to which I would have smiled and stated that she was providing carbon offsets for my cobra...)

However, she just gave me a big smile and said, "Wanna trade?"
Mdman352 likes this.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

We have a college-age friend of my daughter staying with us this summer and this morning I took her for a short spin. After going through 1st and 2nd at about 3/4 throttle she said, "This car accelerates very rapidly!"
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Smile

Doug. Your response to the female Prius was to ask what she had in mind to trade!!
Rog246 likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by car4jim View Post
Doug. Your response to the female Prius was to ask what she had in mind to trade!!
I'll keep that one in my back pocket for the future, there's always another opportunity in these cars... In this case, there wasn't anything I was going to be willing to trade for.......

www.partskeeper.com
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427R
Not Ranked     
Default No Problem Officer...

Pulled into a gas station for gas. Noticed a county sheriff parked in the corner of the station. I turned off the engine and coasted to the pump. Then the officer pulls up behind me. Officer asks why? I shut it down. Trying to be honest I tell him: The rumble from my exhaust is well..fairly loud. Officer asked? And why is that? He then asks me to pop the hood. The officer then notices the headers and no mufflers. Dam, I'm thinking here comes a ticket...He, then responds this is one hell of a ride. I have an officer buddy building one of these cars. Do you mind if I give him a call on my radio? Officer comes back and tells me his officer friend is on his way. Five mins. later two more county sheriff cars pull up. Now, I have three county sheriffs checking out my car. Only problem is...I notice everyone in the station is starring me and not the car. About 20 mins. pass and they thank me! No...I thank you!
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

Going along a road that is a notorious speed trap in the area I get waved over by the gendarmes. I said I wasn't speeding and they said that they had me at three under the limit. They wanted me to nail it a check it out. Not being one to disappoint a crowd I provided their thrill for the day to multiple thumbs up. Tom
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker View Post
Going along a road that is a notorious speed trap in the area I get waved over by the gendarmes. I said I wasn't speeding and they said that they had me at three under the limit. They wanted me to nail it a check it out. Not being one to disappoint a crowd I provided their thrill for the day to multiple thumbs up. Tom
That's awesome.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 07-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

So I'm driving down the 101 Freeway and a Evel Knieve (Trucker talk) for motorcycle C.H.P. comes along side me and cups his ear as to say he wants to hear it....So I throw him a rev and he gives me a thumbs up. hehe
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #428, Ford 427- 535HP, TK0-600
Not Ranked     

I happened to see a local car show going on when driving through my little town in my daily driver. So, I stopped and was looking the cars over and struck up conversation with several car owners. Mentioned to one owner that I had a Cobra and he said I should bring it up to the show. I have never really wanted to show my Cobra, just wanted to enjoy driving it. I don't really like drawing attention and often just drive it on back roads and try to avoid driving through town for that reason. But, it was a beautiful day and my wife and kids were off shopping so I decided to go home & bring it up after a little coaxing. The show had been going for a couple of hours and there was an hour left when I came with the Cobra. The Cobra was an immediate hit as soon as everyone heard it turn the corner. There were about 25-30 really nice and CLEAN cars there. My Cobra had dust on it and I'd probably driven it 6 or 7 times since I cleaned or even vacuumed it. Well, at the end of the show the organizers of the Cruise-In came over the PA speaker and thanked all cars for coming and said they had one trophy to give away for "People's Choice" and the winner is the 1965 Cobra! I totally didn't expect it especially showing up just an hour before the cruise inn was over. Not sure I'd ever do it again, but I am glad I went. Goes to show how much these cars are loved
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1058
Not Ranked     

Coming home from s recent show and a new white Explorer with tinted widows pulls up next to me....window goes down and a "solid 10"
Just says "are you single" ...had to laugh and said..."no and neither is my wife.."..
Was at a local parking lot 3 months ago...a n Expedition pulls up in the space behind me...the window went down and anice looking lady asks if she can take a photo , that the car is her husbands favorite.
Both my wife and I said "no" at the same time."but, we take your photo in the car"...was one happy lady.

Last edited by SpecOp1; 08-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I think something that shows how truly timeless these cars are can be seen in the most "infantile" of ways...

There is one group of people that always look in awe while driving...the little kids, not sure how young, but probably just a couple years old. They always point and smile, probably not even able to talk yet. Or they give the wide-eyes look. It's awesome to know that we were the exact people doing that when we were young, not knowing or caring anything specific about the car, just knowing that it was cool. That's part of what makes this car special.

I always get the pictures taken, or videos, whatever they are doing, or nice comments, but knowing that people who don't care about power, don't care about price, and don't even understand the concept of anything in this world and still think something is cool just leaves a whole lot to be said about the design of these cars.
lovehamr, Mdman352, KevinW and 1 others like this.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Ran the ITN Rally Club's "Ace Ventura" event yesterday. We covered some of the best roads in the LA and Ojai areas including Highway 33 and the great Lockwood Valley Road. The Arntz ran great and we managed to run the whole event without any penalty points and took home 1st place. The temperature was over 100 for the first hour but cooled off when we got up into the mountains.

The next event is "Stardust" and we are running from Palmdale to Las Vegas on November 15/16. The organizers are actual JPL scientist and they planned to have us in a very deep dark canyon at the best time of the night to observe the Leonid meteor shower. It should be spectacular! Check it out here: itnrally.org.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 09-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Date correction
Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

On my trip from Washington to California I was in Vancouver, WA for lunch. The Cobra was parked and we were outside eating lunch with the Cobra in my view. I noticed a kid and his grandmother looking at the Cobra. The grandmother was waiting patiently for the boy to finish looking. The boy, maybe about 13 years old, seemed to be almost autistic. He kept reaching out to touch the Cobra, but couldn't quite touch the car and would hold his hand inches away from the Cobra. He kept reaching out with his hands like he was shaping the sides and top of the vehicle. Then he would grab his arms like to physically stop himself from touching the Cobra. All the time he was talking to his grandmother about it, walking around the Cobra. I wish I had a movie of it. The kid will surely own a Cobra someday!
lovehamr and Rog246 like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Team Cobra pulled off another win on the Santa Monica Sports Car Club's "Eureka Rally" on Saturday. If any of you Cobra drivers have any competitiveness in your system, you should check out these events. Yes, the rules are tough. Yes, you need a navigator to read maps. Yes, you get to drive the very best roads in SoCal. Yes, winning feels so good!

SMSCC.org is the place.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison West Coast
Not Ranked     

I recently received some recognition from The California Highway Patrol. It cost me $165 to pay the fee for that recognition
Ibr8k4vetts and flaflier like this.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Kit Car Builder magazine writeup

I haven't been following this thread very closely. Last year my ERA was featured in Kit Car Builder magazine. I had hauled it down to Florida for the Winter, and drove it all over the state from December thru March - enough to convince me to abandon the Motor City in the Rust Belt of Michigan, and move everything down to Florida.

Now I can drive it year 'round if I want to....

Jeff
lovehamr likes this.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR '65 Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Saturday I was returning from a drive out to Lake Travis and stopped at a 7-11 store in the Cypress Creek area of Austin to fill the tank of my Guardsman blue Daytona Coupe. A heavy-set middle aged guy in an SUV pulled up beside me. He said, "Sir, I've got to tell you what happened when you drove up. I was standing in the checkout line with four other guys when the clerk looked out at the pumps. 'Helloooo Gorgeous' he said in a kind of a low moan. We all turned to look out and I was expecting a voluptuous blonde in a tight sweater and ski pants. No, he was lustfully eyeing your car!"
mate, lovehamr and KevinW like this.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I replaced the coolant thermostat today. After completion, I fired it up to check my work. It's 30 degrees here, so I had to run it for about 15 minutes, revving it a number of times to help it along.

I got recognition by way of a phone call from the homeowners association.
Rog246 likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The other day I was was filling up the asp when a couple in a SUV drives up to the pump behind. They sit there for a moment or two chatting away and staring at the car. Eventually the guy gets out and walks up admiring the lines. Finally he stops and says:

"My wife and I were discussing it an she agreed that we'd be willing to trade you for it..."

I looked at him and then her still sitting in the passenger seat then at my car and replied...

"Well....OK...but I really need to meet her first...."

lovehamr likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I was driving ERA 717 home from PA to upstate NY with no top in 35 degree weather at 75 mph. I noticed a Honda SUV pull up along side of me and it kept pace. I glanced to my left and there were three people waiving at me and snapping photos with their I phones. I politely waived and then sped away. Hopefully I do not end up on you tube under "idiot in a convertible in the cold"

Was a hell of a ride, 6 hours and I was grinning from ear to ear.

Jim