LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- smallblock grenade w/ the pin pulled
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

Perhaps if he had posted himself, that IS what he would have said?
The header reads "Help me I'm dying and want to drive my car" So if he really didn't write this then I suppose that he will be cracking his well-meaning friends skull. I have not met one person fighting this type of illness(and I know too many) that will sit by and knowingly let family or friends make statements of that nature. A few years ago I met a little boy, 8 years young, I watched him for 14 weeks fight to live his own life. He made it clear no one was going to do anything for him, he would do it all himself. He even shaved his own head of what little hair was left. When we talked he told me his dream was to one day go outside and play with other kids. He never got that wish. BUT make no mistake, he was in charge. You know what, I was that childs student, what I learned from him about life and living can not be taught in any school or church by any adult. Yes, some may think I have a distorted viewpoint, I guess it may be called a childs viewpoint. But a child makes no excuses and expects no favors. Tell a child he can't do something see how fast he does it.
Alright, I'm done preaching, lets build the poor guy his car already will ya!

Last edited by maxrpm; 12-09-2004 at 11:14 PM..
Old 12-09-2004, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Max, you're right, we're all dying or could tomorrow. But there is a difference.

Somehow, I don't think he thought he was "really" dying when he ordered the car....probably thought, like you, he was going to beat it, or else, enjoy the ride as long as it lasted.

The wait and BS he apparently endured is inexcusable, regardless of who is at fault. Hell, it may have even been his lawyer and his own bad judgement who are ultimately to blame. Nonetheless, we can feel bad for him without beating him up.

I also appreciate your candor and honesty.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ahhhh,,, looky there, Max does have a heart after all!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I think the original thread should be posted to after the new year and let's see if this guy gets his car. The new year being 2005.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I've lost two close family members to various forms of cancer this year with another trying to beat it as I type. For me it's not the illness, I could care less about that (as it applies here), it's about a customer that has paid for a car from the supposed caretaker of the Cobra name and being treated as if he had been dealing with CMC.I am always amazed at how CS and his related enterprises seem to get the soft touch here. Hell that engine builder was reported to have scammed some customers, was operating in the same way. Without any evidence other than a bunch of first time posters, you could have gotten a lynch party together. But when someone that should be responsible isn't, they seem to get the kid treatment. Criminal behaviour is Criminal behaviour,no matter who it is.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Accuracy Max?

Max - I see you've come around to some degree but having characterized his request to the "general public" I feel like many of your comments (your entitled to be wrong I'll have you know) are off the mark.

I have, on several occasions described our club as brethren - not general public. GARY MORRIS of our group (you know, brother) posted this here (not that it should matter - were all Cobra brethren - right?) not either of these two other fella's. I understand it to be accurate to say he/they posted to the CSX owners - are you now ALSO saying THEY are the general public?

Dan might respect you but let's at least do a little more due dilignence when speaking randomly about someone's motives and character in such a circumstance. He's not asking to trump someone in line - he's been trumped, for crying out loud.

Like Max I'm done preaching - at least I'm dealing with "Fact" rather than feelings/opinions - it's easier to be correct this way.

Last edited by Cracker; 12-10-2004 at 05:35 AM..
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by clayfoushee

Somehow, I don't think he thought he was "really" dying when he ordered the car....
I agree 100%. I don't doubt for one second he thought his checkout time was imminent when he placed his order. The ensuing circlejerk of events he's getting from his builders runs me raw, and more than likely they figured they could just keep stringing him along until his check-signing hand was cold and stiff. But getting this car built is a business transaction and ask anyone(healthy or not) if you're careless or they're real determined(or alittle of both), money-hungry vultures will swoop right down and pick you clean. These fockers need to go to jail BECAUSE THEY ARE THIEVES! not because they took advantage of a guy with cancer. I'll tell you what I feel really happened, the guy more than likely felt that the builders would never take advantage of a man with terminal cancer and let his guard down because generally, all the decent people he comes across are feeling sorry for him and his predicament, and would do anything to help but...wrong..he's the best person to go after! Ask me how I know.
As far as me having a heart, yes I have one and it is as deep and wide as the grand canyon, and it gets broken frequently, but not for the trivial matters of a guy getting shafted building a dream car, I've witnessed much bigger thievery. And you thought I was becoming melancholy.

Last edited by maxrpm; 12-10-2004 at 08:42 AM..
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Accuracy Max?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cracker

He's not asking to trump someone in line - he's been trumped, for crying out loud.

I understand that, and I don't remember ever writing anything about his "place in line" of anything. What irked me was when the original poster to this thread (Gary) stated he recieved this e-mail which was presented in our general discussion forum stating that a man says he is dying from cancer and wanted everyones help because of it. That was my only beef. If an ailing person writes a letter to his brother asking for help, that's not dishonorable. If his brother takes that letter and posts it at the Town Hall for all to read and rally behind, that's not dishonorable. If his brother decides to write a letter and post it at the Town Hall for all to read and rally behind, that's not dishonorable. It is not up to all who read it to investigate the posted letter. We are to believe the letter that was presented them to be fact. The e-mail was presented to all here in a first person basis, that's what bothered me. If the letter were to be written to Carroll Shelby from the person himself I would somehow want a copy of that letter to be posted in USA Today! LA Times!NY Times!...etc.

Last edited by maxrpm; 12-10-2004 at 07:51 AM..
Old 12-10-2004, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

All of you guys that profess to be so sympathetic towards this guy and his illness and car, be honest and give me your reaction to the commercial about the old lady lying on the floor yelling "Help, I've fallen and I CAN't get up". Be honest now...

What was the first thing to pop into your mind the first time you saw it? How about after seeing it twenty times?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

If this run around and lies ,which indicate fraud, are normal then why are they still in bussiness.. What is the attraction?Is there a limmit before we say that is just too much crap for what it is. If this is a spiraling pirimid scheme, the ones at the bottom always get screwed. Sad end to a legend. When the one that is considered an original is going this route it deminishes all of us.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

What a way to run a business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It almost appears that Finish Line is waiting for one of two things to happen. A) Someone else comes along and plunks down a fat deposit on a car then that money can be used to finish Dwayne's car, or B) Dwayne dies and Finish Line hopes that the estate forgets about the undelivered car. Either way, this is very sad.

Max, You sound like the kind of guy that has looked down the barrel of a loaded gun and not even blinked. I hope that I can have your attitude when it is my time to meet my maker.

Wayne
Old 12-10-2004, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To my mind, the illness/death aspect of this mess is a matter of personal emotion. My heart and respect [read Maxrpm] goes out to anyone who is a cancer victim with the hope that they can live life to the fullest. Something we all try to do as Cobra owners.
The REAL stinking issue here is that a company which bears the name of an international automotive legend conducts itself in a despicable, dishonest way. Screwing folks, either directly or through its authorized agents, whether ill or well.
We've watched Carroll achieve "nobility and statesmanship" with a Childrens Heart Fund and countless lionizing documentaries on TLC, HIS and DSC channels. From glovebox signatures to boardrooms he is publicly fawned-over.
However, the stench of the actions of the company[s] that bears his name surely reach even HIS awareness, no matter how many layers removed from daily ops he may be. It strains creditability that dishonest advisors or business managers can conceal or distort info that the entire internet is on fire with, without scrutinity and corrective action by the head man.
Maybe when you get into your 80's and survive heart failures, you don't care any more. That's not justification however.
Surely, the spending of 140K requires great diligence and research of conditions, regardless of one's state of health. In this instance, I view Dwayne as an another BUSINESS victim of an unscrupulous company/assembler, in ranks with all the healthy, diligent guys who attempted to be customers of SAI and got hurt.
The beneficial thing of all this may be that this body of public web information will cause prospective buyers to cease adding to this pyramid, and/or cause current victims to seek return of funds or justice.
Maybe Discovery can do a great documentary on the fall of the Shelby empire?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Lotsa talk here...

..looks like there is some action over on the Viper forum.

They contacted the producers of Overhaulin' to see if they wanted to do a spot on finishing the car... (neat idea)

"...I just sent this in to Overhaulin- maybe they will listen. A few follow ups from some other members might help as well. Contact them at:

info@overhaulin.com

Dear Overhaulin crew,

I know that I am not following the normal procedures for the show, but through the Viper Club of America I have become aware of a situation that could work out very well for your show. One of our well respected members has been trying to get a Shelby Cobra built for almost 2 years now, and he has run into some major roadblocks along the way. Unfortunately, he has been fighting cancer all during this drama, and has recently been given only 2-3 months to live. It has been his dream to have this Shelby, and it might take a miracle to actually get it built in time. That's where I am hoping you can come in...."

..and he appended the original e-mail.

..further, posted this afternoon:

"...We got a call from another Shelby Dealer who volunteered to finish the car if we can get all the parts and away from Roy Hunt at Finishline Motorsports (Shelby's Dealer in Vegas)I have made the appropriate inquires to see if this is possible.

Maybe we could take the car to the other dealer and shoot the "Over-Haulin" episode there??

Again thanks for all the support you have all shown!! "
Old 12-10-2004, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael C Henry

If this run around and lies ,which indicate fraud, are normal then why are they still in bussiness.. What is the attraction?Is there a limmit before we say that is just too much crap for what it is. If this is a spiraling pirimid scheme, the ones at the bottom always get screwed. Sad end to a legend. When the one that is considered an original is going this route it deminishes all of us.

HUH??????
Old 12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Come on guys, there's been enough talking on the issue. It's about time someone picked up the baton and ran with it.
We have a fellow enthusiast here who could really do with some help, surely there must be plenty that we can do collectively if we had a mind to.

Any suggestions ........anyone ?

Paul
Old 12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Paul

Did you bloody read Ron's post about two klicks up?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HUH????

(post count)
Old 12-10-2004, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Yes I "bloody" did and to be honest, I'm disappointed and embarrased that it took someone from the Viper Club to help the guy get a Cobra built.
Don't you find that kind of ironic ?

Paul
Old 12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Paul,

I made two calls at 12pm this afternoon (est). One to an old friend at the local CBS affiliate in Las Vegas, the second to Shelby Enterprises letting them know that I had alerted the local media..............

Will either do any good, that remains to be seen.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Paul

No, I bloody well don't.

He's evidently been part of that family for quite a while, along with the Harley gang.

We haven't even had him show up here personally.

And why don't you stop assuming that nothing's going on behind the scenes? How do you know what contacts haven't been pressured by those that have such contacts. Such relationships become worthless if they are talked about here in the open. You haven't been around long enough to know what types of things are going on, so your assumptions are understandable.

What are YOU doing if you're so damn charged up?