21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I'm sure the 385 series motors provide great performance for the buck. Technology has come a long way since 1965.

Best Bang for the buck depends on the "bang"you are looking for. For those looking to reproduce the original car as closely as possible there is no better bang for the buck than the FE or the 289. From a resale standpoint historically the more accurate the build to original specs the better the resale. Period.

The original FEs and 289s are rarer and more valuable especially the 427SOs and 289 HiPos than the new series products.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Missed this first time around... what ever happened to the Doc? What a hoot!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
The original question was " What is the best Ford engine per dollar?" Given that the question is highly subjective due to one's personal opinion, I am going to say MY solid lifter 427 FE is the best Ford engine per dollar because of the Woody I get each morning when I walk past it in the garage.
Agree almost 100% except that my woody sprouts from the 460 perched between the framerails of our little beauty.Know first hand what the best bang for the buck is,I feel I have it.Personally speaking.Also looked into a Cammer,Wow! big dollars as was the Boss.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

2000cc pinto, 1971
Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Try this for HP/$$$
Building A Big-Block Ford Using Shelf Parts - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When looking into motovation for my little hot rod looked at all possibilities from an FE,385,Boss,the first was a Cammer.Really happy we chose the 385 it is now a .030 over 460,thinking seriously of poking a big solid roller,while apart will polish all the aluminum.Have been reading about those Kaase heads for a while now.Sure do enjoy the options this motor affords.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Ok I have to say it ,GO CHEVY. More power ,less money,stronger design, less weight,get parts anywhere.I know the purist are about explode but unless your car came from Shelby American you don't have a Cobra .You have a HotRod that looks like a Cobra.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Thor Maine: Yes, Chebbys are great motors but very simply not in a Cobra or replica thereof. Putting a Chebby motor in a Cobra or replica thereof is just wrong. It's also the best way to torpedo the value of any replica.

There are plenty of good motor choices from the Blue Oval too.

Keep the Chebby motors in Cheetahs, Camaros and Vettes where they belong.

MHO.

Last edited by REAL 1; 02-16-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Real 1, You have a real one so the FixOrRepairDaily is right where it belongs.But if you have a HotRod that looks like a Cobra a Chevy looks just fine and for OP best engine for dollar. As far as the value issue a fully dressed FE Ford you are looking at $15k. A vintage Chevy 427 or 454 your in the $6 to $7K. So let me think why a FE cobra sells for more.Its like a Harley guy saying how much more his bike is worth than a rice burner,yeah well it cost three times more I would hope so. But if you have a real shelby Ford is the only way to go.It is all good let's just get out and enjoy regardless what is connected to the go pedal.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
Ok I have to say it ,GO CHEVY. More power ,less money,stronger design, less weight,get parts anywhere.I know the purist are about explode but unless your car came from Shelby American you don't have a Cobra .You have a HotRod that looks like a Cobra.
Most people know the Chevy is a great engine and as a matter of fact some original Cobras had Chevy engines installed in them by die hard Chevy guys back in the day but since when was cost ever a consideration when building a Big Block powered replica?

90% of Cobra owners, real and replica never race them seriously so ultimate HP and reliability is never a consideration.

These cars are built and or bought to be show pieces and most of the owners are Ford guys so putting in a Chevy is rarely a consideration.

REAL 1 is certainly correct about Chevy powered replicas being a hard sell so that should be left to the die hard Chevy guys.

Back in the day a lot of guys put BB Chevy's in Contemporary's but when it came time to sell they got nowhere near what they could get with an FE

When you try to sell yours, if you can even get anybody to look your going to disappointed.

Your fix or repair daily comment, what are you 15?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Chebby guy's love to stir things up. Found On Road Dead, I can go on all day.I guess in the clubs where authenticity is the holy grail( oh yeah IT'S NOT A REAL Shelby Cobra and never will be no matter how you match the number of rivets or how much aluminium you put on it or you track down the paint code that was used for Daytona in 1964) the Chebby would be mortal sin punishable by death. But to the HotRod crowd they love the Chevy. And who built the Cobra ?? A bunch of California HotRodders who wanted to wax the ass of that over priced euro trash.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 427DartSHP
Not Ranked     

Thor maine, I will have a Cobra one day and I can tell you I would never consider buying one with a Chevy engine in it. Not going to happen. Nothing wrong with the Chevy motor, but it does not belong in a Cobra.

Seems to me those "California HotRodders" were lead by a Texan (Shelby) and a Brit (Miles). I am not sure if any of them were from California (not saying none of the were from CA). The shop happen to be there.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 02-16-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I said "California HotRodders built the cobra " I was quoting Carroll Shelby. So you only want a Ford in your Cobra, cool.But if you are building a kit make it the way you want it with engine you want. And I don't know what club Racer X#99 reads but horsepower,reliability and cost seem to be the dominaint thread here. In the 60's the HotRodding scene was Detroit and southern California , thats why the Texan and the Brit all ended up there. And for that we are all grateful they did
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

I'm a big block Chevy fan. But you have to remember that Ford pretty much copied the BB Chevy when the designed the 385 series engines and improved the problems that Chevy had with them.

Yes, the 385 series is a little more expensive, but it's worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post
Most people know the Chevy is a great engine and as a matter of fact some original Cobras had Chevy engines installed in them by die hard Chevy guys back in the day but since when was cost ever a consideration when building a Big Block powered replica?

90% of Cobra owners, real and replica never race them seriously so ultimate HP and reliability is never a consideration.

These cars are built and or bought to be show pieces and most of the owners are Ford guys so putting in a Chevy is rarely a consideration.

REAL 1 is certainly correct about Chevy powered replicas being a hard sell so that should be left to the die hard Chevy guys.

Back in the day a lot of guys put BB Chevy's in Contemporary's but when it came time to sell they got nowhere near what they could get with an FE

When you try to sell yours, if you can even get anybody to look your going to disappointed.

Your fix or repair daily comment, what are you 15?
+1.

Thor Maine: I think the basic point is that, yes as far as the hobby goes, do what you want and makes you happy. Its a hobby. There is no hard and set rule that must be followed. However, while theoretically you could make the best case in the universe for putting a Chevy powerplant in the reality is 99% of guys in this hobby would not favor a Cobra/replica with a Chevy powerplant. The reason is simple. Its all in the history of the car itself which is as much a part of the "Cobra" as it's physical parts and intregal to the entire "Cobra" story, history and magic.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Thor Maine - ".... a Chevy looks just fine and for OP best engine for dollar."

Have I missed something...
Where does the OP say he is interested in CHEVYS?
"What is the best FORD engine per dollar"

A Chevy may be free, and run on water, & produce 1000hp with 1000tq but in this thread the option is null & void.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RICK LAKE nailed it ...
number #1 is a stroker windsor in the 393-427 range in Aluminum
----
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
RICK LAKE nailed it ...
number #1 is a stroker windsor in the 393-427 range in Aluminum
----

Al, I'll see your answer and raise you... the "BEST response" to this question is Silverback's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
What is your favorite color? Do you prefer blonds or redheads?

There is no answer to this question.

But then you should get some interesting replies.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Silverback's comparison falls way short of a parallel argument, determining hair color without selection criteria is not the same as what the OP asks which does have selection criteria ...

If you were going to buy, or have one built, what type of FORD engine combo would produce the highest HP/TQ per dollar, all else being equal.

RICK's response still stands and is irrefutable ...
#1 is a stroker windsor in the 393-427 range in Aluminum
----
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
If you were going to buy, or have one built, what type of FORD engine combo would produce the highest HP/TQ per dollar, all else being equal.[/b]----
Easy. A stroked 429/460. You can use a factory 460 bottom end, slap a set of Kaase P-51 heads on it, throw in a solid roller cam, and push 700hp. Adding cubes only adds to the fun.