Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, hands down, probably the best Ford engine for the $ is the Romeo engine.

It's modern, high powered (depending how you outfit it and what version you use) and much more economical fuel wise

You can get a smashed up cobra or mustang engine for cheap from a wrecker.

A little electronic wizardry and voila!

I haven't seen one in a cobra, and dunno what it would look like, but certainly not any uglier than a 385 series.

385s always remind me of a dodge 440 or RB block, schmugly
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FEfastback View Post
Actually, hands down, probably the best Ford engine for the $ is the Romeo engine.

Ahh, the Romeo engine, "stabbed with a white wrench’s black eye." Get it? C'mon, any english majors out there?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The DR is in…

Mr. John Hall,

Alum 385 blocks are available from C&C Motor-sports with either wet or dry oiling provisions.

http://www.candcmotorsports.com/

The most common is the RDI (Roberts design) block that was listed in the Ford Motor-sports catalogue. If memory serves me, the part# was M6010-A96
Commonly referred to as an "A96" block.
There are several manufactures, with many possible configurations.(i.e. different deck heights, bore spacing, mag. drives etc).
I can give you as much detail information as you would like, I currently have two.

Great Asp-hole,

I am funny, ask me, Ill tell you.
I must say, your logic, or lack of it, does make me laugh.
"There are no fast 385s at the track, but if there was(?), they ate a set of tires" LOL really?
"Any serious SPF driver would never have a 385 in their Cobra"
Hmmm yes, I see.
So the only REAL Cobra owners are the ones with "FEs" under the hoods.

Please rest assured, All of us, the lesser Cobra owners, understand your position. You and your “FE”traded brethren, make it crystal clear, that you feel you are better than us. It doesn’t matter to you, how much effort, thought, blood or sweat we apply to our cars, yours is better.
We understand.
The problem with the Narcissistic perception that you are all-seeing and all knowing, (like all FETARDS feel they are) is that you can’t possible be.
You go on to say, “You can call Dennis Olthoff and ask him”
I would say, before you a spew “Fe”cal matter again, you should call Mr. Olthoff and ask him if he or his Father have installed Aluminum 385 engines in Cobras.
While you’re on the phone, ask Mr. Olthoff what the performance potential of that combination could be. It should be an enlightening conversation for you.

I will repeat my original diagnosis. Your disability makes it impossible for you to accept an answer other than “FE”.

Rodknock,

It is disheartening that you feel there the measure of a person adequacy is the dollars they can spend. You go on to say that any one that doesn’t have pockets as deep as yours, envies you. Wow, that is a pathetic and shallow view of the people whom share a common interest in these cars. Thank you for letting us know how you really feel.
LOL, I am completely comfortable in my sexuality, A picture of the Oral treatment for the condition you suffer from (a butt plug) does not make me scream “He’s gay!!” LOL. WOW, really, how old are you? If I am, does that make me even lower?
I am not surprised at your reaction, I would expect it from a closed-minded, anal-retentive, elitist like yourself.

Unfortunately, I was late today and Mr. Hall had the pleasure of correcting your in you blatant attempt at misinformation.

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Rabotnick and his efforts. Knowing that he can’t ever win, he uses the EMC as an advertising tool. I applaud his creative use of the print exposure. He could NEVER afford to buy that much ad space, for the cost of the entry fee. Then turn around and sell the engine (with its printed provenance) to a FEtard like you.
Again, Bravo Mr. Rabotnick.

That you know so little is clearly evident.

Dr385

Last edited by DR 385; 09-02-2009 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

385 you ignorant slut, while you're hopping around from bed to bed spreading your social diseases.........................................

Anyone remember that SNL bit besides me?

BTW Doc, my name isn't "Hall."
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I'm just wondering what kind of a "Doctor" has all this time on his hands to read and respond to all these posts at all hours of the day? Most Doctors, that I know, are too busy to even sit down, much less read and answer internet posts all day long.

My guess is that he gets his jollys by pretending to be someone he isn't and screwing with various forums until he gets a bite.

Ignore him and he will take his bucket and go play in someone else's sandbox.

And it's "Jane, you ignorant slut........"
Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr. undy,

Thank you, it’s a difficult road, but I will stay the course.
And there lieth the problem with the FE is best position.
Can you tell me why you feel an FE is worthy of “the most respect, awe, and dollars”?
I have shown that there are better choices from a power/cost standpoint.
I keep hearing “they are worth more at resale” and have been quiet about it until now.
To assume every present and potential Cobra owner is willing to pay more money and be limited by the architecture of that antique engine family is impotent thinking at best. That somehow spending more money to build the FE ensures a higher return on investment. The market clearly shows that is not true. I would ask that you look at the sheer number of Windsor Engine powered Cobras. That is the most accurate gauge of what the community as a whole wants. Like it or not.
From an investment standpoint, no engine family guarantees profitability at resale.
To continually preach “Better resale” is again, misinformation to those that are unfamiliar with the market.

Its slow in on the graveyard shift, I have time. LOL

I am curious why so many people think I’m screwing with the forum. I do enjoy the banter, but it’s not serious, I don’t want anyone banned, or beat up. Its point and counter-point with a satirical impetus. Pull out your facts and prove me wrong.

Dr385
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 385 View Post
Rodknock,

I am not surprised at your reaction, I would expect it from a closed-minded, anal-retentive, elitist like yourself. Dr385
I resemble that remark.

Now back to the comparison.

So for another $6,000 +/- (add any additional block machining) in addition to the basic KC 514 price of $10,600, you still won't have a 385 series engine that weighs the same as the $17,000 KC 482 (with Pond block). I would still want the lightness of the 482 in the front when driving around at track events or spirited driving town and such.

Will you need those heads from C&C for that block? If so, then you'll have to add another $4,000-8,000 at least, according to that website? So what do you have there? An all aluminum 385 series engine for $25,000-$30,000?

Now you could pay an extra $500 or so for the "big bore" option on a Shelby block purchase and get a 527ci engine with some BT heads and voila! Right around $20,000-ish. I thought about it, but wanted the additional material around the cylinders.

Doc, as for the other nonsense, I was only kidding around. If you would write without all the various insults and non sequiturs, adding a pic of a chess piece or something to your gallery, you may not upset as many people as you have. Nothing wrong with having a little good discourse.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have shown that there are better choices from a power/cost standpoint. I keep hearing “they are worth more at resale” and have been quiet about it until now. To assume every present and potential Cobra owner is willing to pay more money and be limited by the architecture of that antique engine family is impotent thinking at best. That somehow spending more money to build the FE ensures a higher return on investment. The market clearly shows that is not true. I would ask that you look at the sheer number of Windsor Engine powered Cobras. That is the most accurate gauge of what the community as a whole wants. Like it or not. From an investment standpoint, no engine family guarantees profitability at resale.
To continually preach “Better resale” is again, misinformation to those that are unfamiliar with the market. Dr385
Well clearly a small block powered Cobra will be cheaper to buy, since the engines are cheaper. Cheaper prices attract more crowds and buyers.

I can only speak for myself, but I wanted a 427 Cobra that, within my financial reason, was similar to the original 427 Cobra. The 385 engine family and the Windsor engine family did not provide me with enough similarity.

Everyone has different standards, but my intuition/opinion would tell me with two equivalent SPFs, but one has an FE, and the other a 385 or Windsor, the FE-powered SPF would/should sell for more. How much more? It would depend on the two engine builds.

Personally, I'm not sure what the market "clearly" tells you and I've watched it for a few years.

Gee, I can't wait for your typically insult-laced diatribe with lots of medical and psychiatric words and terms.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
385 you ignorant slut, while you're hopping around from bed to bed spreading your social diseases.........................................

lol, right after the first three words......good one

Last edited by vector1; 09-02-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post

BTW Doc, my name isn't "Hall."

I do believe he was referring to me, and my name is "Hall".
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ahh, the Romeo engine, "stabbed with a white wrench’s black eye." Get it? C'mon, any english majors out there?

Well I'm giving up posting clever literary and poetic quips. This is about the fourth one that has fallen completely on deaf ears.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well I'm giving up posting clever literary and poetic quips. This is about the fourth one that has fallen completely on deaf ears.
I didn't major in poetry or literature. That's probably why I lost on Jeopardy.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I didn't major in poetry or literature. That's probably why I lost on Jeopardy.

Yeah, "winch" would have been better than "wrench" anyway.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr. Rodknock,

So we agree, a non-FE is a better choice for resale.
I thank you for conceding the point and validating my argument.

Further, when you say:
"I think FE's are cool. They personify my vision of what a big block Cobra should be. As I have the financial means to deal with the issues that accompany an FE I choose to."

Kudos to you, for saying it with such clarity and honesty.

Opinion is precluded from ridicule, so long as it is clearly labeled as such.

Patrick,
For never was a story of more woe....

Dr385

Last edited by DR 385; 09-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I would say, before you a spew “Fe”cal matter again, you should call Mr. Olthoff and ask him if he or his Father have installed Aluminum 385 engines in Cobras.
While you’re on the phone, ask Mr. Olthoff what the performance potential of that combination could be. It should be an enlightening conversation for you.
Dr385
Sorry, Doc...Dennis Olthoff is no fan of 385 series engines; nor does he like FEs (of course he's installed scores of both). He's a big fan of Roush Windsor motors.

Incidentally, it is hard to beat the HP/TQ bang for the buck that a 385 series engine delivers.

That said, I am very happy with my aluminum FE.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Too bad the question is on Ford engines.....I suspect a Cummings diesal from a full sized Dodge pick-up should be the engine of choice for the serious Cobra connesieur...darn, did I spell that correctly?

I still go with the 289 for best bang per buck (but not for a 427 version Cobra....I'm an FE snob when it comes to that).....$500 re-ring/bearing job and probably a bit over 200Hp for the 289 in my 66 Mustang...I think it was rated at 225. So about $2.22 per Hp. Even if you can find a decent junkyard one for about $250, that still makes it only about $3.33 per Hp after a $500 rebuild.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually the dodge analogy is a good one. It's constantly pointed out that the 440 RB block makes more horsepower, is easier to tune, and is way cheaper than the 426 Hemi.

Open the hood on a challenger or cuda, if it's got a 440, no one cares.

The 385 is the same way. More bang for the buck, but open the hood, and no one cares.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mr. Rodknock,

So we agree, a non-FE is a better choice for resale.
I thank you for conceding the point and validating my argument.

Further, when you say:
"I think FE's are cool. They personify my vision of what a big block Cobra should be. As I have the financial means to deal with the issues that accompany an FE I choose to."

Kudos to you, for saying it with such clarity and honesty.

Opinion is precluded from ridicule, so long as it is clearly labeled as such.

Patrick,
For never was a story of more woe....

Dr385
Doc, I have no idea who's posts you're reading, but they ain't mine. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Please do NOT interpret what I write. In that regard, you're a failure.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Stentor,

Good afternoon, welcome to the group.
You can call me Hermes.
Your assumption of my position, that Mr. Olthoff is a "fan" of 385's is incorrect.

I applaud your happiness.

Rodknock,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well clearly a small block powered Cobra will be cheaper to buy, since the engines are cheaper. Cheaper prices attract more crowds and buyers.
AND
I can only speak for myself, but I wanted a 427 Cobra that, within my financial reason, was similar to the original 427 Cobra.
As you reading and writing skills are clearly the product of your propensity for mediocrity (also evident by your choice of engines). I have taken liberty with your words, in the same manner you have taken liberties with the facts surrounding this discussion.

Dr385
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After 11 pages of what Ford engine gives the best bang for the buck,we certainly learned one thing.Some of you are advocates of the FE,others the 385 series,finally there are the small block followers.In my case I have the best Ford engine in that search to get the best bang for the buck.No need to burden anyone with my reasons.