12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
... did you hear Mary Travers died last week?
Yep, and she never did get to drive her Cobra either. Oh wait, I'm mixing up threads again....
Old 09-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
...but I just look past the posts that get off target.
What Fletcher said.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham - KMP493
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Had to look that one up:

A capon is a castrated male chicken.

"Whilst" remains one of my favorite words, now forever linked to a nudered chicken, thanks a bunch!
Did you say "nudered"?

Dang, I haven't laughed that hard in so long. Not only do I envision castrated male chickens but naked ones at that!

On the site, I'm relatively new to CC. I don't know what it was like in the good ole days. I must admit my disdain for so much negativism regarding politics or other social issues. Perhaps that comes with the territory. I'm just grateful that those who vent entitle their posts so I can simply skip them.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Well ... I for one, am one of the newer members, asking those same questions ...

- Will I Fit ?
- What Color ?
- Which Wheels ?
- What Builder ?

... so forth and so on.

( ... and I have more questions yet to come )

I am a long time car guy, with experience on early Mustangs, Firebirds, Triumphs ... even a Rambler (yes ... a Rambler) and had some book knowledge of 'original' Cobras.

But about two years ago, when I finally decided that (40) years was long enough to dream about a Cobra, I finally started looking into a 'replica'. That lead me to Curt Scott's Cobra Buyer's Guide & Cobra Country and ultimately to Club Cobra!

Since then, I have met many members both on line and in person that have been extremely helpful. My 'vision' for my Cobra has not changed much, but the comments and suggestions of others has helped me refine what I want, and avoid the common pitfalls.

It's those early and long time members, with hundreds or even thousands of posts that help new guys like me figure this stuff out. And ... once my car is done and I get to drive it ... I'll have some great folks to go with.

Bottom line ... thanks guys for starting this and keeping it going ... the occasional rant and rave aside ... it's the people and cars that make this site and Club the great resource it is.

- Tim
Old 09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Tim, your post made me go look at my post count.

990!

Holy cow! I really have had THAT much to say? Of course, I've been hanging out here for nine years (or so)...

DD

Uh, make that 991...

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-25-2009, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

AAAAAAAAhhhh the good ol days, there certainly were some colorful members here. Like everything, for one reason or another, this forum has evolved into where it is now. I personally only read topics that interest me, and only offer advice when I know I have something to ad. So for the most part, I just lurk anymore, watch what goes on, and just enjoy the hell out of driving my car. BTW I've found the limit as to how much power an IRS will support, but that's a story for another thread if anyone is interested.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Bottom line ... thanks guys for starting this and keeping it going ... the occasional rant and rave aside ... it's the people and cars that make this site and Club the great resource it is.

- Tim
Tim,

I think out of all the posts so far on this thread, yours quoted above just about sums it all up in a nutshell.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-25-2009, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

I feel the turnover is somewhat due to the fact that most (or at least many) of the "old guys" have completed their builds and have moved on to driving them, have sold their Cobras, etc. Combine that demographic with the economically-induced drop off in new kit sales, which translates into less being built at any one time, and, presto, you have falling Club Cobra participation.

There are a few of us long timers who still rely on this site as the best resource for Cobra info, advice, and general entertainment. I haven't met many offline, but I don't think I could have solved some of the issues I came across so far during my build without you guys. I'm still building mine and you bast*%#$ are driving yours!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm a relatively new member here and see this forum more or less like others I belong to. Generally friendly, has its little clicks, has it's odd antagonist, just like all forums. Basically like a social event everybody can attend, so all personalities show up.

I do find a lot of the stories interesting, although my main interest are technical issues. So far, I like this forum. The diversity of the site makes for interesting reading, not to mention the help and knowledge available. And I try to help too, if I can.

As mentioned in other posts to this thread, it's all too easy to be snotty when behind a PC. All that's required is manners. In person, I would expect the bad manners to be absent. It's not unlike driving a car. Some of those rude drivers who cut you off, etc. can be the nicest people when met face to face. I start with giving everybody a decent amount of respect. They either earn more, or lose more from there. And when they lose my respect, I try to ignore them vs getting into a pi$$ing contest. It's not that difficult, although there are times.......

As far as losing members, I've seen this on other (non-related) forums. Usually happens for two reasons:

1/ People come for help and once they've achieved their goal, they dissappear, sometimes for good.

2/ Older members sometimes tire of simple questions and can be quite condescending to a "newbie" who is starting fresh.

I havn't seen #2 yet, but I havn't been a member that long. Hopefully I won't see it.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

trularin,

This site has lost some of it's credibility in the last 2 years due to the lack of respect from some of it's most vocal members. The trend has been away from cars to politics and indiscriminate bashing sometimes. Pity. Yes, there is a reason we have no women posters. Want to guess? Maybe this site will be self correcting. Maybe not. Thanks for raising the subject.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfletch View Post
trularin,

This site has lost some of it's credibility in the last 2 years due to the lack of respect from some of it's most vocal members. The trend has been away from cars to politics and indiscriminate bashing sometimes. Pity. Yes, there is a reason we have no women posters. Want to guess? Maybe this site will be self correcting. Maybe not. Thanks for raising the subject.
I will have to take the counterpoint to this statement. Is this lack of credibility quantifiable?

No women posters may be a reflection of our hobby in general.

As others have said, just read threads you like. Personally, I steer away from anything that's not Cobra or car-related. The other threads I ignore. Actually, this is the type of thread I tend to ignore. Why? While it purports to want things they way they used to be (credible, respectful, many women), back when Eddie Haskell and The Beave were on TV (hyperbole), what actually results is a bashing thread...the exact opposite (e.g., no respect, no credibility, no women, etc.).

This site is very helpful (e.g., EFI, Webers, Tires, Breakfasts, Ring Gears, Vacuum Advance, Cylinder Heads, ERA ordering options, etc.). I still search around and get answers to my questions, I still enjoy 99.99% of the people here.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Is this lack of credibility quantifiable?"

It is to me. You miss the women point entirely. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Hey Little Cobra sold her car; Amy from Shelby tends to get jumped when she posts. There was another woman that was posting for a while last year -- she was in the business too, as I recall. Other than that, I can't remember a whole lot of women on here.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Petty envy, sour grapes, the desire to knock SAI and Carroll Shelby and demean his cars and the owners of his continuation cars whenever they tired to defend their cars (except for the originals) have developed a toxic atomosphere over the years. Kinda hard to maintain or nurture interest in Cobra replicas, original Cobras or continuation series Cobras and the hobby in general when guys spend most of their time taking pot shots at SAI, Shelby and his cars. SAAC setting the record straight on the continuation series didn't even stop some from carrying on. There were some other issues but that was the most toxic subject discussed here by far.

What did you expect when so called "enthusiasts" here who were supposed to be Cobra/Shelby fans spent more time knocking Shelby and his cars which indirectly is a put down to the Cobra in general and the hobby then building up the hobby and the Cobra as you would expect of any enthusiast site.

The attitude of some was so bad and the infighting in this Cobra hobby so bad that at one time I even considered selling my beautiful Shelby Cobra because of it and then realized why should I sell my car because of the bad attitude and jealous envy of others motivating many to put the car down. Glad I never sold her. Its almost ten years now and I still love driving her.

The results here are no surprise to me.

My only interest here is limited to setting the record straight when I see some post knocking or putting down the Continuation series.

Beyond that I have no interest here.

There are a few guys here that I do like and don't fall into my general feelings and opinion as stated.

Flame on.

Takes care.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-25-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

I don't think I did. I had a girlfriend once.........(please no laughing)......that just loved cars and owned a show quality '68 Camaro, but other than her, I can't remember one women who wanted to go to anything automotive related with me or my peer group (i.e., friends).

Men dominate the hobby and they unfortunately dominate this site. I would love to see more women.......................................on this Fourm.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Petty envy, sour grapes, the desire to knock SAI and Carroll Shelby and demean his cars except for the originals have developed a toxic atomosphere over the years. Kinda hard to maintain or nurture interest in Cobra replicas when guys spend most of their time taking pot shots at SAI and Shelby

What did you expect when so called enthusiasts who were supposed to be Cobra/Shelby fans spent more time knocking Shelby and his cars then building up the hobby and the Cobra as you would expect of any enthusiast site.

The results are no surprise to me.
And here's my 0.01%. Hello Evan. Just kidding.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Men dominate the hobby and they unfortunately dominate this site. I would love to see more women.......................................on this Fourm.

That really is the truth of the matter. The women in my family are not interested in my Cobra.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

patrickt,

Would you be willing to consider a world larger than your immediate family?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
patrickt,

Would you be willing to consider a world larger than your immediate family?
There is no woman on the face of this planet, of which I am aware, that is interested in my Cobra.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

My wife likes the Cobra. She has now mandated that we have to take it for a spin through the country every Sunday. So I have started showing her GT40 pictures.