Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

You want one of these http://www.chiheads.com.au/3v_manifolds.php

Old 12-24-2009, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

My EEC5 has the smart lock turned off care of one of the guys that helped develop the system so not an issue to overcome.

However I don't know how this affects the other operations in the system and I can only assume this makes it easier to play with if and when the time comes.

Have a good Christmas All!

Steve
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Yeah, Mike, that one down at the bottom looks just right.....if I didn't have to buy the CHI 3V heads, too.

Getting that stuff to the U. S. of A. costs an arm and a leg .

You Australian Cleveland/Clevor fans have no idea how lucky you were to have the Cleveland design around for so long. We had them for 4 years (less for the Boss 302), then our pollies decided to deep six the entire industry's performance based focus in favor of air pumps and catylitic converters.

For a while here, there was a company that made a Clevor manifold for the 8.2" Windsor block in both single plane (Track Boss) and double plane (Street Boss) designs.....I hear they appear every now and then on eBay, but I'm just not comfortable buying somebody else's problems, would rather buy new.

Hmmmmm.....I know MasFlo says the single plane is the way to go, wonder what would happen if one were to use a dual plane manifold anyway--I mean, the injectors are at the junction with the cylinder heads, what would be wrong with that? We can get an Edelbrock here for that combo (sure do wish Edelbrock would make an Air Gap Clevor manifold)!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I am going to call the Mass-Flo guys after New Year and have a chat. I have a new Summit distributor that I can still use but I seem to need a new manifold as well, altho the existing one could be retained, it seems from Peter's comments. The heads web site that you posted Mike looks a beauty. I should see if they have any for the 302.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

when i was building my ffr i built a 342 stroker i had already had the ford motorsport efi harness all the sensors and a 93 computer (A3M1), i was going to use the ford cobra intake and i already had a msd tfi distributor so i was at chris's (quality roadsters) before he started mass flo fuel inj and he showed me his new set up but i was able just to buy a intake with rails a t body, a mass air meter, and the little harness adapter that converts the (gm signal) to the ford voltage reading. and i was all set, the only thing is depending on your engine set up you may need a chip so your set up will run ok . you can also buy the moates quarter horse and tune it your self with a laptop, or go to a dyno tuner and get a chip burned.
you can check out eectuning.org to learn about tuning with the tweecer rt or the new moates quarter horse they plug in to the service port and connects to a laptop with a usb cable.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb,5.6 8tb Windsor,TFS heads,Dart Shp,TKO600 ,4link 9in diff.Ford acid rush Paint,convopro wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hey Merv you may have misunderstood my previous posts a little,

I meant retaining all the electronic and wiring side of things as you already have whats required,

and just getting what Wrench87 has just described off massflo,

Modified Carb style Intake with injector bosses and fuel rails,

the Massflo throttlebody and MAF,and the Massflo harness/convertor adaptor .

Having a chat with the Massflo guys is a great idea,
tell them exactly what you already have and what you want to achieve and im sure they will suggest the best option..

Personally for me its gotta be 8 throttlebodies!

Peter..
Old 12-25-2009, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Great - thanks again Peter!

merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF-427 View Post
Personally for me its gotta be 8 throttlebodies!
I like your thinking Peter

Cheers
Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do Mass-Flo do 8 throttle body systems!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

mass flo only makes the 4bbl t body set up, if you go to the ffrcobra forum and look under advertisers you will find a company called very cool parts they have the least expensive 4x2 set up.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This one Wrench?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://verycoolparts.com/Stack.htm

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thats the one, the one thing you must know is this type system is speed density and does not use a mass air meter. depending on what engine management system you use you can get rid of your distributor and use a oil pump drive and coil packs. i have the mass flo on my 342 and it runs great, but you cant beat the looks of the 4 two barrell systems.
i think profesional products makes a system also that comes with a controller that is self learning with a single wide band 02 it has the 4x2 t bodies i think it is under retrotek?.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think it looks absolutely fantastic, but not sure how difficult the change to speed density would be. May be i should stay with the mass air system as that is what I have?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb,5.6 8tb Windsor,TFS heads,Dart Shp,TKO600 ,4link 9in diff.Ford acid rush Paint,convopro wheels.
Not Ranked     

Believe it or not they are the Aussie DC+O intakes the same as I am running,
but yes to do that sort of change requires Aftermarket ECU,Distributor etc,
Unless you want to put it in a plenum which defeats the purpose!

Merv,Stick with the massflo unless your willing to spend upwards of 10K!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is a toss up. For that I could buy a whole crate motor from Ford racing with most of the good bits on it! I would like to get rid of that ugly plenum however ...

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

the other 2 options are the fast ez efi, and the powerjection III. you should also check them out easy to install especially if you already have a efi pump and a return stlye fuel regulator, once again they are speed density but they use a wide band 02sensor and are self learning.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again Wrench - I am starting to get confused again.

I have a stock standard Mustang ('92) 5.0L HO EFI set up. The car has enough power in standard form and getting the power down is the fun part. Too much power would spoil the everyday driveability of the car in my opinion. I am not interested in tire burning or bragging rights.

However: (1) I am keen to get a 'carb - look' with probably a 4 throttle body intake. I am also wanting to use as much of my standard EFI set up as possible;

(2) I am considering some moderate top end refurbishment with ally heads, roller rockers and probably new induction manifold, as needed.

The more that these 2 new systems cost, the more it tips the overall balance towards a full crate motor from Ford Racing or elsewhere (some where around 350hp so as not to mean a gear box change)!

So these Fast Ez Efi, and the Powerjection III setups look fantastic but they are all speed density as you say and that seems more difficult to establish. I guess I am looking for advice on how to either modify my standard motor to achieve these two objectives - whether I should give up and go the crate donk!

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv,

any crate motor still only gets you half the way there,

As their only really a long motor package for a windsor,

im not aware of a complete EFI style package,

maybe not from ford racing at least..

you still need to do the induction and fuel side on top of a crate engine anyways,

What you currently have now if yours is an 88-93 style mustang motor will be too small and restrictive for the 300-350 fwhp.

Intake,throttlebody,Maf,Injectors,Ecu Chip maybe even your current fuel pump all needs attention for that sort of power delivery..

If you want the Carby look,

You really cant go past the massflo intake setup with your choice of alloy heads and a mild cam you wont be dissapointed..

and all the benefits of a self tuning Mass air Management system...

Dont forget for the power this will make will require at least 24lb injectors and a chip..

Peter..
Old 12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are of course right Peter. It IS the Mass-Flo plus new heads and a cam. As an aside, what do you think of these?

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ormer-50.shtml

Thanks again,

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: