Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree349Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Long weekend shed update

Some more shed progress over the long weekend.

Despite gales in Melbourne I didn't let a bit of wind get in the way of spraying and hanging more sheets to get the shed closer to completion.

Developed a sneaky series of swings to lay the sheets flat and one paver on each to stop them blowing away and got the right side of the shed as completed as I could.

Swings as mentioned and tied up now waiting for the roof installment.

A bit of after dark photography showing most of the second side completed including and access door as the second last panel.

When I pulled the shed down I discovered the sheets on the right rear and back of the shed had been buried and had rotted away to some extent. So the sheets I've hung are all the good ones.

Plan on buying two sheets to finish up to the rear on the right side as above and then I will do some cut and shut around the rear where it will not be seen.

Also managed to roughly hang the roller door at the end day of today.

Plan on painting the outside rollerdoor face by next weekend and then I can install the tracks and finish installing this door.

Still a bit to go but the shed is progressing.

Can't wait to get it finished so I can turn my full attention to the cobra and get this thread back on real track - lol.

Enjoy
Old 06-14-2015, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default More shed..........

So another weekend and some more shed progress.

Dragged the roller door out of the weeds last week and had it roughly positioned and ready to colour this weekend. Think it looks far better than the original puce yellow.

Found some of the last outside wall sheets were too rusted at the bottom so went on the hunt for matching tin. Couldn't find an exact match but a Stramit product (K-Panel) was so close it became the pick. Helps that my youngest lad is working at a subsiduary company so I got staff discount too!

So I got two sheets on Friday and that allowed me to finish off the outside wall around to the rear. Only real bit of sunshine today and it came out as I wanted to take photos - sorry about the glare.

The remaining wall sheets are all rusted to some degree but am going to cut these just below the lower timber beam and use good segments from now spare sheets and overlap just at this lower beam. They are all at the rear so out of sight anyway.

The slow part now is just the spray painting of the sheets but I've got some leftover slightly tinted corrugated polycarbonate from a previous pergola I think I'll raid. Will save some spray time and cost nothing too.

Again it is just a storage shed but the thought went through the grey matter about some sisalation.

Thoughts on this insulation option guys?

Cheers
Aussie Mike, leroy17 and Dog Chops like this.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     

Hi Slowy
I live up North and it gets a bit hot when you stand on a metal roof.
I tried a product called SOLACOAT (google it). It's a water based heat reflective paint. It can be tinted mist green to suit your shed. It's not as cheap as other heat reflective paints but I reckon it's worthwhile. On a hot day you can comfortably stand on the roof in bare feet.
Another option over sisalation is a product called E-therm (keep googling). I have not tried this stuff but it looks OK.
With sisalation I've noticed it sags and becomes brittle and tears with age. Bird wire has to be installed first.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Shed

Slowly,

It will be hot in summer and cold in winter, adding insulation will

Only minimise the effect, it's a tin shed.

Maybe a shade over the roof as they do with on site caravans?

Stiffy
Old 06-15-2015, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rohan

You've matched where my thoughts on the subject got to.

It is only a storage shed so it can remain hot and cold.

That'll help dissuade my prospective drum playing or coach sitting boys from moving in as has already been suggested. Get their own place is my thought.

Cheers
Dog Chops likes this.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Quick shed update

So a crap week with clients abandoning audits at the last moment has allowed me some daytime shed hours.

Managed to spray up the remaining wall sheets so that they could be hung and did my trick at the rear cutting out rust and using short pieces to infill at the bottom. Also hung the front facing cover sheets.

Made an executive decision too at the rear as there was meant to be a louvered window in that back left corner in the photo above.

Eliminated it for quicker build and to not loose storage space. This means I'll use more polycarbonate sheets in the roof too for light and that too will speed up things with luck.

With the house now in turmoil undergoing the kitchen rebuild the place looks like a bomb has hit!! The old kitchen is sitting under the pergola having been sold for peanuts on fleabay and is to be collected this weekend. Selling it thought does save us considerable tipping costs however so it is a win.

So my middle bloke's motor bikes needed to go somewhere out of the way and are the items covered in the picture above. First storage one could say!!

The weekend I hope will see a lot of roofing preparation underway so it is close to completion.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Working from home bonus....

With continued client silliness in terms of audit cancellations and deferments some further work on the shed was called for today, particularly given the nice weather.

Had sprayed a number of sheets on the weekend and yesterday which then let me get to work afixing about half the roof as seen below.

Hit my stash of old pergola polycarbonate I'd been storing and I'm half way there!

Need to spray the remaining roof sheets and then I can continue once these have had a chance to dry. Might have to be Friday as I've got to do some work tomorrow - bugga!!

Am planning to seal the floor with epoxy.

Any suggestions in terms of brand? Are there good and bad floor paints?

Cheers
Old 06-24-2015, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Nice work and that's a good size shed considering it for 'storage'.

It's good to see your clients cancelling so you can finish your shed, that's some good understanding of priorities right there.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes very considerate clients considering the timing and am upsizing from 9 to 32 square metres!!!

Just need to get my shelving options right for some of the stuff that is to go in there.

Again any suggestions guys for modest shelving options. Noted Dexion components on ebay but usually quite expensive as industrial grade and over kill really for this application.

I don't really want to be spending heaps of time building shelving, I'd rather pre-made gear I can just assemble quickly.

What have others used?

Cheers
Old 06-25-2015, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Slowy there's plenty of pallet racking for sale on Gumtree. How much height clearance do you have? These look pretty good.

Racking For Sale | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Kingston Area - Moorabbin | 1071040506
Old 06-25-2015, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

check with bunnings near you as most of the stores I know are going thru an up grade of there shelving
& I heard that most of the shelving is going to scrap
might be worth a shot
rob
Old 06-28-2015, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ah.......but for a tad of daylight saving

Nearly got the shed finished this weekend but the setting sun stopped me shy of the end.

Had to finish spraying several sheets and also sprayed the end and roof flashing pieces. I got all the metal coated early arvo and was then able to get on with screwing it all together.

As the photo shows, all roof sheets now installed including three rows of the tinted polycarbonate I had from a previous pergola.

I was able to screw on the front and rear flashing and started on the rear roof flashing but the last screws were being fixed in half light so I had to call it beer -o- clock instead!

The view from the inside.

So I'll get liberal with some silicon through the week to ensure the joints are weather-proof. The rebuild hasn't exactly gone back together as it was first assembled but no great dramas.

With the roof properly sealed I'll then clean out the shed and give the floor an epoxy coat just for good measure. Then it will become viable storage.

I'd like to hope this will all be finished by the end of next weekend.

Here's hoping cause that means it's cobra time again.

Cheers

Last edited by stephen low; 06-28-2015 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: Fat finger typo's
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shed almost completed

The shed is almost ready for use as through the past week I was able to essentially finish off the roof and flashing as shown below.

Still have a few tweaks to do but this has pretty much waterproofed the shed now and this allowed me to set up for coating the floor.

Managed the first coat this morning as shown.

The light grey does show up the poor trowel finish but hey it's a storage shed.

Interestingly the epoxy paint is a PPG product and the part A is very thick. Needed to use a power mixer to stir up the contents, it was that viscous.

So a second and last coat tomorrow as I am "working from home" again and by Tuesday I can start using the shed for storage.

Looking forward to clearing away a lot of the "debris" littering my backyard as the space where various bits have been stored over the past months.

Know our bluie ate the high pressure hose on my pressure cleaner so have one replacement to do once it is ensconced safe from his teeth again - lol

And then its cobra time again - woo hoo!!
Towmaster and Modena like this.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Dont worry slowly, when all your crap is in there you will NOT see the trowel finish no matter how bad or good it is!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Slowy
Pretty flash for just storage,
did you seal the ridge cap with that corrugated foam?
I didn't
My back shed and it is full of crap fr the surrounding trees that blows up under the ridge cap

Cheers
Kent
Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Transition time...a night of firsts

I can essentially mark today as the transition of project focus.

First storage...but of course it had to be cobra related

Can walk on the surface but have to wait till the weekend before anything heavy goes in.

So a fibreglass bonnet doesn't count, does it???

But then it allows for this........

My first work on the cobra in a months - woo hoo!

The braided feeder lines run each side into quite a tight location as can be seen. I needed Marty's intervention to develop a nice little tool I could use to tighten the connections.

Typically though I've discovered a simple fix to this after the event.

If I cut a slot into the upright that is hindering the access, that is both wide and long enough to slide an open ended spanner onto the anodised fitting, this would simplify things greatly.

Not going to happen for now, maybe the next time the radiator is out.

Anyway this work followed shortening of the passenger side front braid leading into the oil cooler. Not bad for my first hour and a bit back on the car.

Hopefully I'll be able to post more significant progress on parts refitting soon.

Cheers
LoBelly, Towmaster and leroy17 like this.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Summer

Slowly,

Summer is on its way, great timing......

Too bad you missed out on the last 7 or so

STIFFY
letsboogie351 and gjkrv8 like this.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looking good Slowy. Is that the PPG Amelock 2K product? It's good stuff. Mines been down for about 4 years and is holding up well.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Stiff you are out by a year I believe.

So am going to be getting my 8 summers worth in a rush!!

Mike yes exactly the product. Not cheap though and my boat epoxy is cheaper.

Mucked up a bit on the second coat and had a heap left when I got to the back so plied it on thick back there and came to the front again and reapplied the rest.

So there is a thick coat in these areas but the middle is a tad thinner. Never mind it will have to do.

Hopefully can find more shed time tonight.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default We've got junk and Deja Vu

So a good day working in both sheds!

Cleared the backyard finally this morning and as the last shed photo - proof of junk!

Just some of the accumulated stuff that has been loitering around various parts of our backyard.

But enough of the storage!

Seems like deja vu with refitting of engine bay gear that had been happily in place pre-paint.

As the photos show, cooling and oil supply systems are now plumbed, the air filter and intake system is reinstated and the radiator and oil cooler are both finish located.

I was repolishing gear as I was fitting up so that slowed the process somewhat. I also started to refill the coolant into the system to give some opportunity to self bleed.

And most importantly the car's identity!

This was the easy stuff, so I suspect further rate of work will slow down but I have a list and I am working my way through it.

Cheers and enjoy.

Last edited by stephen low; 07-11-2015 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: typo's